JUMPxACE
ps3logokl4.jpg

:: GTP_Online Monthly Race Series ::

gtpdk9.jpg

:: Official GTP_OMRS Discussion Thread ::

ClassACarsDeepForestRaceway.jpg

:: Open Discussion for Matters Related to the GTP_OMRS ::

GoKartsAutumnRing.jpg

Here is some general information on what you can expect from the GTP_OMRS with regards to the event settings, frequency and such:

- First and foremost, since this is an official GTPlanet event, the etiquette of the race room/lobby follows the same standards in the Acceptable Usage Policy.

- You must also race using your GTP_Account, users that enter the lobby without their GTP_ name will automatically get booted from the race room to ensure GTP_ members get priority.

- We will start running the GTP_OMRS series beginning on March 12th and will be the first Saturday (GMT -8) of each month thereafter. Do note that the races are scheduled at GMT -8, check out this Site if you need help in verifying what time the race starts.

Official Race Stewards And Designated Times:

GTP_Jump_Ace | 10AM, 11AM (GMT -8)
GTP_Animera | 12PM, 1PM (GMT -8)
GTP_Steven | 2PM, 3PM (GMT -8)
GTP_Small_Fryz | 4PM, 5PM (GMT -8)

Official Race Steward Alternates:
GTP_Shigegaki
GTP_Mafiaboy
GTP_PK_090

Tentative Race Event Dates Of 2011. These dates are subject to change, but we will give as much notice as we can on any changed dates. Be sure the check the GTP_OMRS Thread.

- April 2nd, 2011

- May 7th, 2011

- June 4th, 2011

- July 2nd, 2011

- August 6th, 2011

- September 3rd, 2011

- October 1st, 2011

- November 5th, 2011

- December 3rd, 2011

- You can pick from any of the time slots that work for you. We ask that you only race in one of the time slots to allow others an opportunity to race.

- Each time slot will have two races. Each race session will start about 15 minutes after at the designated time to allow warm up laps. The race will be approximately 30 minutes long, which leaves around 10 min for the Race Stewards to wrap up, gather results, etc.

- The second race will start at the top of the next hour. When each race is finished, we ask that you leave the race room so the next set of drivers can join.

- Race Stewards can only race in one of the two races if they prefer.

- Race specifics won't be given out ahead of time, drivers will only know what car to use. The car for the next month's race will be posted at the end of the current month's race specifics.

- Premium cars will be used for the first 6 to 9 events to give people more time to finish the game and build their used car garage.

- Typically we will use a fastest to slowest starting grid format.

- The False Start Penalty will always be on.

- Skid Recovery will Always be set to off.

- We will try to give drivers who may have missed last month's event priority for the next event, but no guarantees.

- Race Stewards will be setting up identical race rooms so everyone will get to run the same race for the event.

- Race Stewards will be saving every race replay and will use it to verify any member who isn't following the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules &Guidelines.

- Any disputes should be resolved between the drivers via PM. Race Stewards will be keeping an eye out, but can't be everywhere and will be looking for intentional malicious incidents. Only notify a Race Steward of a situation if it can't be resolved amongst yourselves.

- Any infractions that occur during a GTP_OMRS event will count as an infraction in the GTP_Registry Disciplinary Log; 3 Strikes accumulated there and you are out of the registry.

- We also ask that you be patient when driving, don't get offended or upset because someone nudged you a little or is drafting you.

Race clean, race hard 👍

Last edited:
Hi Jerome and Duke

I have a few questions about section 01:k and section 13.
01:k- Now I've found that if you press start the car goes into auto-pilot and heads for the pits very slowly. Would it not be bettet to press and hold the hand brake (e-brake), then the car will not move at all?
13:- When racing I use bumper cam and for the most part don't know if I have ghosted or not during a race. My question is how do you know?

Cheers
Mike

I'll try and answer your question here Mike.

01:K - You may be right about pressing the E-Brake and then press pause and the car may not move, I'll double check that.

13 - As far as GT5P went, everyone can see a car that is ghosted so they can be aware of the situation. They should also see the car flickering between Ghosted and Not-Ghosted as well. If you're car is the one flickering, it's up to you to safely return to the track by taking a safer driving line (outside of a turn for example).

Jerome

For the first question you can simply just wait until you have entered your pit stall and press start and you will sit there until you unpause the game.

Oh please don't let there be any karting, the slipstreaming is so rediculous it's like an oval race, there's no skill involved in who wins it's all just luck of who gets the slipstream benefit at the finish line.

I have a few questions about section 01:k and section 13.
01:k- Now I've found that if you press start the car goes into auto-pilot and heads for the pits very slowly. Would it not be bettet to press and hold the hand brake (e-brake), then the car will not move at all?
13:- When racing I use bumper cam and for the most part don't know if I have ghosted or not during a race. My question is how do you know?

Cheers
Mike
FWIW, here is my opinion. You would hope that in a GTP event, the competitors are consideate enough to drive the whole race to the best of their ability, largely negating the first point.

01:k Im pretty certain that you don't ghost when you hit start while on track. Wouldnt the best solution to just be either drive to the pits yourself and hit start (as mentioned by Silver-Sylph), or to just park the car against a wall where it wont roll anywhere and not push start. Then car wont do anything without user input. With the added bonus that if penalties are on, the car will ghost once it is a lap down.

13: Im in the same boat. A bumper cam driver has no way of knowing if they are a ghost themselves. Easy solution here is to assume you arent, and use the track map/rearview mirror to avoid potential trouble

Thanks Jerome 👍

Ps Barra333 , I didn't ask you the question but thanks anyway.

Mike

No prob Mike,

I'm going to verify and test these ghost options as I haven't been able to yet as I've been doing some admin work for the series. But I'll do it soon.

If a change to the rules is needed, I'll consult with the other GTP Race Admin members so they are aware as well.

EDIT: I've done some tests and here are my findings:

01:K - Pull over off the course, out of the way, press and hold the E-Brake button, then press start and your car will automatically be 'ghosted'

13 - Your car does not ghost when you have been lapped by other drivers. However, others will see that your car is ghosted. It will help to use the roof, chase cam or cockpit view if others are noticing your car ghost a lot, that way both parties are aware of a possible situation.

I'll check with the GTP Race Admin Team and see what they think of modifying those rules.

Jerome

Last edited:
Probably a very stupid question but, as I'm in the UK, I just add 8 to the specified time correct?

Ie races hosted by Fuzzy would be 10 and 11pm UK time 👍 👎

Probably a very stupid question but, as I'm in the UK, I just add 8 to the specified time correct?

Ie races hosted by Fuzzy would be 10 and 11pm UK time 👍 👎

👍 You got it. So for example if your timezone is GMT +0 you would add 8 hours to the listed race time; 10AM (GMT - 8) would equal a 6PM (GMT + 0) race time. Where it gets tricky is the difference for Australia, as they will be racing on Sunday morning instead of some time on Saturday since their time zone is so far ahead. HTH.

Jerome

This is awesome news, I've got little time to play gt5 and I've already realised I'm not going to be competitive in the WRS without spending too much time each week. This is perfect, racing you know will be clean with quality racers. It was worth doing the qualifier just for this. For the rest of the month there's iRacing :)

Big thanks to the organisers, good stuff.

Ooh dates!

Are those new? I dont recall seeing them last time I was here.

Is now a good time to be putting your name down for a particular lobby? Or is that done when the first race thread is opened? If its the former i'd like to participate in the un-specified race steward lobby at 2pm please :)

Yes, the dates are new. You don't need to put your name down for a lobby, just type in the room number and join in with your GTP_ account. The Race Stewards will fill in the room number once everything is set up and then post that number in that month's corresponding GTP_OMRS (first) post.

Jerome

Awesome link thanks for that akmuq :cheers: That's right, if you live in New Zealand and your Time Zone is GMT+12, add 20 hours from the listed race slots (it would be sometime early Sunday for you).

Jerome

👍 You got it. So for example if your timezone is GMT +0 you would add 8 hours to the listed race time; 10AM (GMT - 8) would equal a 6PM (GMT + 0) race time. Where it gets tricky is the difference for Australia, as they will be racing on Sunday morning instead of some time on Saturday since their time zone is so far ahead. HTH.

Jerome

Give or take an hour for DST... which changes on the 27th. Stupid DST.

I've mainly been racing with friends, trying to take a similar attitude to your rules of conduct (i.e. clean driving). What we've found is it's actually better to disable the penalty system. Penalties work for shortcuts (though not for the rules you are enforcing: the game doesnt see shortcuts over hard surface as cheating - think of the massive cuts you can take on Monza or Sarthe), but the penalties are hit and miss for collisions.
It seems that half the time the wrong driver is penalised, sometimes extremely heavily. Even the shortcut penalty can be abused - it's quite easy to shunt (or even just hedge out) someone into grazing a fence and thus receiving a shortcut penalty.

If you have a steward per race, and are reviewing replays for infractions afterwards, then I don't think you need automated penalties at all: in fact you would be better off without them. They can easily turn a minor ding with no discernable impact on the race into a 10 second penalty on an innocent party that totally removes them from contention.

Can I just clarify (I'm not (yet) a GTP WRS member, but hope to be after the current open qualifying session) - the FAQ states:

A:
Whether or not you are using your registered GT Planet (GTP_Tag) Online name you are expected to follow these rules accordingly.

But the first post here states that you are required to use the GTP_ tag for racing. Clarification please.

Thanks

Whats up Jump, I want ta play......lol, I think I understand how this whole thing works. So are you going to bust this thing down into a Division competition or will D4 novices be trying to chase down D1 experts?

I believe that this won't be a division competition, it's all fair game when we begin OMRS. It will give a chance for lower division members to compete in racing online against those who are in the upper divisions. It should be great practice for everyone, considering the fact that it's rare that we get to see our division 1 drivers out in the wild. For me personally, I have only gotten to race against GTP_Potatochip who was doing quite well in GT Academy on the west coast. We hope that we get a wide diversity of drivers competing in OMRS. 👍

Can I just clarify (I'm not (yet) a GTP WRS member, but hope to be after the current open qualifying session) - the FAQ states:

A:
Whether or not you are using your registered GT Planet (GTP_Tag) Online name you are expected to follow these rules accordingly.

But the first post here states that you are required to use the GTP_ tag for racing. Clarification please.

Thanks

Good question, I'll try and lay it out for you. Take myself for example, I have two PSN ID's; 'jump_ace' and 'GTP_Jump_Ace'. The rules specify that I must adhere to the Clean OLR Rules when using both accounts. Both accounts will be held liable when seen racing online. This is to help eliminate any 'hey, I'm not using my GTP_Account, I can take revenge for that!'

However, for the GTP_OMRS, you must use your GTP_Account, otherwise you will be asked to leave the race room or get kicked if necessary.

Shigegaki is right, there isn't any 'divisional' races, any and all GTP_ members are welcome to come race in any given race slot 👍

Jerome

Wow the online compo against the Aliens of the forum is great but, to not take into consideration the level of our members is half cocked, I think it’s important to grid the lobbies w/ equally matched competitors in the beginning and the top finishers could move into a higher ranked lobby for the next event to try to knock the bigger dogs down a notch and finally graduate to the D1 lobby to take on the Aliens….. that’s how the stock cars and sprint cars do their programs. Getting pounded by someone like Douqua or Small Fryz just reinforces the obvious.

How much could a Novice squid learn from being in a grid w/ Tommy Kendal and when the green flag drops he never sees him again until he is laped?

Last edited:
Wow the online compo against the Aliens of the forum is great but to not take into consideration the level of our members is half cocked, I think it’s important to grid the lobbies w/ equally matched competitors in the beginning and the top finishers could move into a higher ranked lobby for the next event to try to knock the bigger dogs down a notch and finally graduate to the D1 lobby to take on the Aliens….. that’s how the stock cars and sprint cars do their programs. Getting pounded by someone like Douqua or Small Fryz just reinforces the obvious.

In a perfect world, yes. But in reality, that is a logistical nightmare. One I'm not willing to take on. Since there are varying skill levels, everyone should be able to find someone to race with alongside them. The main focus of the GTP_OMRS isn't just about winning, it's about trying to provide a clean, competitive environment for everyone. Plus, despite popular belief, people make mistakes when driving :dopey:

If you have a steward per race, and are reviewing replays for infractions afterwards, then I don't think you need automated penalties at all: in fact you would be better off without them. They can easily turn a minor ding with no discernable impact on the race into a 10 second penalty on an innocent party that totally removes them from contention.

This, among a few other things, are settings we can adjust after we see how things turnout. If it's best to have no penalties, but light damage that goes away after 5 seconds, then we'll go with that. Time will tell 👍

Jerome

Last edited:
Wow the online compo against the Aliens of the forum is great but, to not take into consideration the level of our members is half cocked, I think it’s important to grid the lobbies w/ equally matched competitors in the beginning and the top finishers could move into a higher ranked lobby for the next event to try to knock the bigger dogs down a notch and finally graduate to the D1 lobby to take on the Aliens….. that’s how the stock cars and sprint cars do their programs. Getting pounded by someone like Douqua or Small Fryz just reinforces the obvious.

How much could a Novice squid learn from being in a grid w/ Tommy Kendal and when the green flag drops he never sees him again until he is laped?

Every race that you compete in, whether it be A Spec or online. You gain experience, meaning that you get to race against other people whether they're skill level is at novice or professional. Even though, you might not think you're learning anything from racing against the higher division members. You honestly still will learn, by following and watching others lines. WRS is sort of a preparation in my opinion for these types of events. We learn and better ourselves as drivers over time. It takes time, which we prepare and invest in for us to climb the rankings in WRS.

Also things that can help out if you wish to do so, are taking advantage of the online racing series that others host within the community. Or create your lounge and invite people to come in and host practice events so you can learn from others. Although I know most people like myself, have a full time job and go to school. Some have families as well. Even though you might not have as much time as others, try to take advantage of the wide amount of resources we all have. In time my friend, you will climb those ranks to Division 1. Everytime I compete in WRS, I try to do better each time. Even though I am Division 4 Bronze. I am currently keeping up with those in Division 2 Bronze and Division 3 Gold.

Don't ever get discourage!!! We're all friendly and willing to help. 👍

In a perfect world, yes. But in reality, that is a logistical nightmare. One I'm not willing to take on.

So I see that there is a date that the races are held on and there is some kind of jockeying that goes on to grid the lobbies. So setting up a time for a, pre entered grid of members is more time consuming then waiting for random enthusiast to wonder in during the 4 hour window is a better system and makes for a less stress filled get together? Isn’t there a month between events to take pre-entries to grid the classes?

Your general info talks about:

- Typically we will use a fastest to slowest starting grid format.

Won’t that take some kind of a qualifying run?

- Each time slot will have two races. Each race session will start about 15 minutes after at the designated time to allow warm up laps. The race will be approximately 30 minutes long, which leaves around 10 min for the Race Stewards to wrap up, gather results, etc.

I don’t see anything about qualifying, and if the Race Steward is gathering results doesn’t that work for verifying the winners so that they are qualified go into the next hours race to take on a faster group?

I'm not sure how much time you have spent racing online already, but the fastest to slowest grid is based off of the warm up laps. Which is PD's way of giving us a qualifier for the race.

It's not that any winners move on to the next race. A new set of 16 (15+Steward) drivers will race at the top of the second hour; there is no elimination tournament. Just some fun, clean and competitive racing :) Sorry if that was unclear.

Jerome

I'm not sure how much time you have spent racing online already, but the fastest to slowest grid is based off of the warm up laps. Which is PD's way of giving us a qualifier for the race.

I already knew about that feture but it was never made obvious to the dual use aspect for the practice.

It's not that any winners move on to the next race. A new set of 16 (15+Steward) drivers will race at the top of the second hour; there is no elimination tournament. Just some fun, clean and competitive racing :) Sorry if that was unclear.

I'm still scratching my head as to why not? I mean that we can never hold any kind of trophy in our hands w/ any of this cyber racing stuff, so shouldn’t the hoedown mean more then another random lobby filled w/ “ol buddies” just getting together to burn time on the track giving racing room to others so they can participate in a group Tine Trial? Aparently winning doesn’t mean that much.

I think you may be missing the point. It's not just about winning the races, or keeping track of who is faster than who. There are no trophies in the WRS or point system, so why compete there? Because it's fun, the playing field is equal and everyone gives their best. I'm just trying to provide that same experience online.

Jerome

Not true, I regularly race against some of the very quick guys on this forum and let me tell you I have learned a hell of a lot from doing so. Trying to stick with them for as long as possible really sharpens up your driving and focuses you on the lines to take. Not only that, there have been occasions where I have beaten some of these guys by being consistent and error free whilst they have made mistakes.

For me, driving against people better than you makes you improve far more than driving with people of your level or below simply because it forces you to be on the absolute top of your game for the full race duration.

I understand the concept of, driving w/ faster people then your self will make you faster. The point I’m making is that a separate quali like a TT to establish an entry time or use the existing Registry to grid the lobbies should be used to make the racing online more of a realistic experience. Just being in the same race w/ aliens doesn’t do anything but make the race just another impromptu get together.

When I raced moto there was a very obvious experience structure, Novice / Amateur / Expert, and mixing the classes would do no more then populate the starting line. The kind of experience that makes you fast usually comes from constant pressure from others of the same level of proficiency, oh I would jump at the chance to practice w/ my expert buddies when I was an Amateur and it did allow me to see how I rated and I think it did make me faster but only racing in a real organized race would test me with the proper challenge.

I just wish that the obvious wasn’t so easily looked at and dismissed as a paper work and organizational hassle. I was so looking forward to competing in the WRS version on-line but I guess that it will never carry the weight of a real racing program and apparently resign the program to just another random get together by a bunch of “ol buddies”.

Just think, If the WRS TT program was used to set the grid as a caveat to the WRS_OMRS. The program could take into consideration the weeks previous solidly established times and then that same track would be used the next week as the monthly online race. What a match made in heaven.

What a way to get new people into the WRS TT the week before the monthly online race, there must be members of the forum who don’t even think about the WRS TT’s because they look at it as a time vacuum sucking up their spare time but if there was a greater purpose to the TT's before the monthly race I’ll bet you that there would be a noticeable rise in participation in the TT's the week before the monthly online race.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back