GTP_OMRS Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Jump_Ace
  • 127 comments
Putting up this month's combo in a few min. Slated for July 9th.

Jerome

Double posting as I want to highlight a rule change in the OMRS:

Thread Rules:

• Open to any pertaining discussion, including settings. Please remember if you have any preferences or tips for future events, they are always welcome 👍

Jerome

Video posted by DDiamond in the result thread:

Thats terrible.

I'm sorry. But that shouldnt be representative of GTP racing.

For a start the host has terrible lag. You cant have a clean race with lag, period!

And whats with the driving! Two competitors crashing themselves out in the first corner, and then another at the end of the lap potentially wrecking themselves and another contender. I didnt bother to watch past the first lap. I couldnt tell if it was the driving or the hideous lag.

Very poor show. And the attendance was dreadful no?

Jerome, I dont know what you have up your sleave but this new plan needs stepping up a gear.

I know I wasnt in attendance this month, I had other things to attend to last minute, but I'm still passionate about OMRS succeeding.

I know I come across disgruntled more than positive lately, but for 28 days of the month this forum is a ghost town.

I dont know what else to say.

Last edited:
:@: Captain Roh

I'm not going to discuss the poor attendance, 'cause I too try to promote the OMRS as much as possible. It's a great initiative. 👍

As for the lag. i think the lag was just there in the replay. Nobody was complaining about any lag and I didn't experience any either.

The crash in the beginning was an unfortunate mishap. These things can happen, but as it says in the OP here maybe they should've been a bit more patient.

- We also ask that you be patient when driving, don't get offended or upset because someone nudged you a little or is drafting you.

Race clean, race hard

I'm not going to discuss the poor attendance, 'cause I too try to promote the OMRS as much as possible. It's a great initiative. 👍

As for the lag. i think the lag was just there in the replay. Nobody was complaining about any lag and I didn't experience any either.

The crash in the beginning was an unfortunate mishap. These things can happen, but as it says in the OP here maybe they should've been a bit more patient.

Captain it was HUGE lag thats why we had a smash up in turn one and that with out hitting any on my screen.

Half the field quit and left because of lag Speedy.

:

I didn't notice any lag on my end from my spectating seat.

Also, my rendered vid above, mirrors my raw footage of the race, so if there was any lag online, it would naturally occur in the vid as well. However, what lag there was, if any, reveals nothing out of the norm, IMO.

What could be possible, is that where the editing of the vid occurs, one might think that lag occurred at an edit point. When changing from one driver to another, most of the time a black screen occurs, a fallacy of online driver switching, and those parts I edited out.

Sorry.

Thats terrible.

For a start the host has terrible lag. You cant have a clean race with lag, period!

And whats with the driving! Two competitors crashing themselves out in the first corner, and then another at the end of the lap potentially wrecking themselves and another contender. I didnt bother to watch past the first lap. I couldnt tell if it was the driving or the hideous lag.

Jerome, I dont know what you have up your sleave but this new plan needs stepping up a gear.

I know I wasnt in attendance this month, I had other things to attend to last minute, but I'm still passionate about OMRS succeeding.

I know I come across disgruntled more than positive lately, but for 28 days of the month this forum is a ghost town.

I dont know what else to say.

First, I must say that lag is lag and that is why I have alternate Race Stewards, this can't be avoided and everyone should come to expect it (unfortunately) from time to time.

As for attendance, well there could be many reasons; lag, busy lives, work schedule, the list goes on. There will be some changes coming down the pipe and we will be having an input session as well in the somewhat near future...

Jerome

if you have any tips for future events, they are always welcome 👍

I have made references in the past to playing off the WRS schedule to increase attendance and it hasn’t been tried. If you used one of the WRS combos as one of your online events you might get a bounce in attendance. Just try it for the week after one of the WRS combos. You might even draw the WRS guys over to see how good they could do online. I know I would give it a try.

Thats terrible.

I was the host of that room, and I run an ADSL2+ connection that is only 105m from the exchange with upload speeds approaching the 1.0M/sec range, download in the high 16's! I was the only Australian in the room and I was the host. Now, being the host, I had to deal with connections from Belgium, UK, USA & Finland which can cause lag issues as the ping rate increases from hosting a room with people in multiple countries from the other side of the world!! I'd like you to go and host your own room and deal with a heap of people from HK, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina & South Africa and see how you do. Yes, there was an issue right at the start of the race but after that, we all had clean connections!

You obviously didn't watch well. That "accident" at the end of the lap was between Max and myself and being the car that was infront, I can tell you that both of us lost traction going into the corner trying to brake the latest. It's called a racing accident, it happens. It wasn't like Max was trying to punt me, but I see that your mind was already made up that he did!! How about watching the rest of the race because it was quite entertaining to the rest of the people who have watched. The attendance wasn't too bad, but we have had better results.....my room had the most participants at the start!

Captain it was HUGE lag thats why we had a smash up in turn one and that with out hitting any on my screen.

Half the field quit and left because of lag Speedy.

Actually, no....only you quit because of lag Ren-Tec. There were 6 of us racing (yourself, speedy, CptD, myself, neenor & max), and 4 of us finished the race. Neenor said his car was uncontrollable and quit after 1/2 race. So please don't speak any mistruths when you left pretty much straightaway after your crash on the first lap.

I have made references in the past to playing off the WRS schedule to increase attendance and it hasn’t been tried. If you used one of the WRS combos as one of your online events you might get a bounce in attendance. Just try it for the week after one of the WRS combos. You might even draw the WRS guys over to see how good they could do online. I know I would give it a try.

As you know this event has been running now 4 months Lefty, with a number of members attending but I don't remember you in attendance to date.

By all means if you can motivate the members to part take in such an event I wish you all the best.

130 members showed interest in this type of event when I sent out PM's to all the members as you can see from the list of replies, would be nice to see more of our members taking part and joining in the community spirit.

I'm sorry but Captain Roh (Gary) is right, the lag was horrid I did watch the video through and the lag was there all the time from what the video covers. I race with MadMax( Pekka) once or twice a week and this is not representative of his driving, I know he has issues with the countdown clock sometimes freezing on screen, but he is a gentleman on track.

The upload and download speeds are not the issue, but more so your Nat type and bandwidth for hosting, I know everyone can’t have T1 or fiber optic super fast broadband connections, there are things you can do to help matters, turn off headsets and choose the standard race quality, you may already do this but it should help with the international connections.

I host a number of open lobby rooms and private lounges with members and guest with international connections upto full grids of 16, I’ve never seen Pekka suffer that type of lag before.

Nice video Dan 👍

Phillip.

Last edited:
Actually, no....only you quit because of lag Ren-Tec. There were 6 of us racing (yourself, speedy, CptD, myself, neenor & max), and 4 of us finished the race. Neenor said his car was uncontrollable and quit after 1/2 race. So please don't speak any mistruths when you left pretty much straightaway after your crash on the first lap.

Don't wanna correct you but I quit on lap one in the second race (more than two people in that race) and I believe Neenor did too although he may not have left the room.

Anyway its not your fault there was lag its just one of them things with such huge distances and many countries. Fixed owner ship of a room means the host and their upload speed (mine is around 0.300Mbps + large ping times) has to handle all the other users data traffic.

Don't get upset about it as Jerome anticipated this when he asked for members around the world to host rooms for the OMRS.

Cheers
Mike

/\ True.

The August OMRS will be held on August 13th as I'll be on Vacation the first week of August :)

Jerome

I was the host of that room, and I run an ADSL2+ connection that is only 105m from the exchange with upload speeds approaching the 1.0M/sec range, download in the high 16's! I was the only Australian in the room and I was the host. Now, being the host, I had to deal with connections from Belgium, UK, USA & Finland which can cause lag issues as the ping rate increases from hosting a room with people in multiple countries from the other side of the world!! I'd like you to go and host your own room and deal with a heap of people from HK, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina & South Africa and see how you do. Yes, there was an issue right at the start of the race but after that, we all had clean connections!

This isnt a contest Mafia, I dont need to know how well endowed your internet connection is.. The issue here is wether you're the best person to host GTP sactioned events.

I'm sure Jerome, along with myself and others, are very appreciative of your efforts. OMRS needs more hosts and we thank you for stepping up to the plate. Unfortunetely for whatever reason your lobby wasnt stable enough for close clean racing.

And just fyi, I host a race series every week, with zero lag. I have members from Canada, the USA, sweden, norway, the UK... even India! My internet isnt as 'good' as yours, but you obviously have issues where I dont.

If I were Jerome, I would be asking hosts to do test lobbies by inviting OMRS participants to do a race or two. Only takes an evening, and a lucky 16 get some great racing out of it. 👍

You obviously didn't watch well. That "accident" at the end of the lap was between Max and myself and being the car that was infront, I can tell you that both of us lost traction going into the corner trying to brake the latest. It's called a racing accident, it happens. It wasn't like Max was trying to punt me, but I see that your mind was already made up that he did!!

And I didnt suggest anyone was trying to punt anyone else either, but that incident goes down as overly aggressive driving for me. Racing accident or no you both thought it was prudent to try and out brake each other on the bumpiest narrowest part of the track?

An accident was always going to happen, and as a respectful racer this is always something I try to avoid.

However I do understand the lag wouldnt of helped.

While I'm here, any news on the input session and/or changes coming to OMRS Jerome?

Info will be coming sometime after I get back from my vacation next week 👍

Jerome

I can appreciate mafia's position. I'm in Australia and spend most of my time looking for Australian host/rooms so that I don't lag out other rooms. It's not because I have a sucky internet connection, because I don't. But in Aus rooms if/when Europe/US players join, it can often turn into a ridiculous lag fest.

Perhaps the solution is to set some host/rooms up to be regional? Eg if mafia hosts, that's the room I would want to join; an Aussie based host,and kick anyone not in Asia Pacific region. Also, having regional winners that progress to an 'international' final would be soooooooooooooo cool.

Also, nitpicking while I'm here. Why not announce the monthly series car/track a month in advance? I don't know a lot of cars and a lot of tracks. If I don't know the car/track, I won't race because I race fair, and it would be disrespectful to the other drivers if I miss a braking mark I don't know and just take them out. I have had that happen way too many times to me - even in allegedly 'clean' racing series - to do it to someone else.

To put it simpy, if the track was not in GT3, it's highly unlikely I will race in the OMRS this month. It would be suicidal and disrespectful to other drivers for me to be on the track, unless everyone is in a Fiat 500.

Please! At least announce cars/track well in advance so newbies can help make this series what it should be!

db

Last edited:
Hey Jerome, hope you had a great vacation.

Is this months race still scheduled for the 13th. Looking forward to it.:)

Sooo month 5 was posted up one day before the racing?!

No wonder I missed it.

Yeah, it was posted this late cause of vacation periods.
I myself could use a bit more practice with the car aswell.
After the second race I finally fixed the Racing exhaust bug :dunce: and after the fourth race I could finally figure out the shifting points of the gearbox.
Better luck next month

I'm new to WRS, and also like the idea of OMRS. All on track with other GTP_ members :)

I've some questions.
When month 6 specs will be released?
Any chance for a (GMT) morning / weekday / afternoon session?

I'm new to WRS, and also like the idea of OMRS. All on track with other GTP_ members :)

I've some questions.
When month 6 specs will be released?
Any chance for a (GMT) morning / weekday / afternoon session?

Duck, Jump_Ace usually post race details a couple of days prior to the event.
Check back here this Thursday. All races to date have been on Saturdays.
They usually start at 5pm GMT, and run 2 each hour, 8 races total.

Last edited:
Just wondering if this month's event is re-scheduled due to the Sept. holiday weekend?

Just wondering if this month's event is re-scheduled due to the Sept. holiday weekend?

I was wondering the same thing.

Hope the OMRS doesn't die out. I received a survey recently asking what type of racing I would like to participate in here on GTPlanet. Possibly the OMRS is being restructured. Maybe one of the admins. can update us on the status of these subjects.

I was wondering the same thing.

Hope the OMRS doesn't die out. I received a survey recently asking what type of racing I would like to participate in here on GTPlanet. Possibly the OMRS is being restructured. Maybe one of the admins. can update us on the status of these subjects.

Hey if I had weekends off (which I don't :() I would help out and maybe run a race every week because online racing is the best by far.

Any news on a September OMRS?

Hello, any news on OMRS?

Why is it so dark in here:dopey:

Who turned out the lights, and I never heard the obese woman sing yet :sly:

Where are you OMRS? :ill:

Last edited:
Sorry guys, been busy.

As of now, we are in the middle of restructuring the OMRS based on the recent poll results and hopefully changes will be finalized in the near future.

Here's a little bit of news for you to chew on in the meantime:

- We are hoping to do an online race every weekend (tentatively/hopefully?)
- 1 Race Steward will host that weeks event, maybe back to back races or more depending on the Race Stewards time/schedule
- Rotating Race Stewards each weekend (i.e. I host an event on the 1st, then mafia_boy hosts the next event on the 8th, etc.)
- We will (mostly, not always) do a recent WRS event
- We will start 'seasons' with a few weeks between seasons
- We'll hopefully get a point system in place (waiting on that atm)
- We might need a few more Race Stewards, if interested feel free to shoot me a PM!

Jerome

Last edited:
Back