CLOSED: 2.0 Advanced Competition: Week 14

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 154 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks sejtur your is nice too, I think my entry will be changed anyway..if I find some time to spare!

sixtoes and Gtuned 👍👍

Looks like a nice comp... Guess I´ll have an entry too though I don´t use PS for my pics at all.

Sej - I'll get to that 👍. Like sixtoes mentioned, it doesn't quite work the same for flickr users, but I personally don't mind being sent to the page and having to click once more for full-size there (since flickr offers the handy auto-500px thumb).

Arsenal1992 - Please edit out your first entry, as right now it very much looks like you have two.

I use Flickr, and I don't have any problems posting a thumbnail. That takes people to the full size shot, but only when they click on the thumbnail.

When I post a thumb, or any size image for that matter, from Flickr, it links only to the page - not to the full-size. Perhaps you have Flickr Pro?

Sej, do you have options that would work for flickr users? When we upload a photo there, we can choose from multiple sizes (from thumb all the way up to 1024 px wide) when it comes to BB Code or HTML, but if we select a URL/link to the image, it links to the page the image is on, requiring the viewer to click on the image one more time to see it full-size. As far as I can tell, there is no way for flickr users to post a URL link to the full-size version.

Otherwise, you could rest assured I'd be providing direct links to my full-size images - they all look so much better big! :D

For Flickr all you have to do is take the code it gives you for the 500px preview and replace the actual "URL" portion with the direct link to the full-size shot. The hard part is whittling down to find the URL for the full-size. I don't remember exactly, but I had to click through a few different things, then right-click and select properties on the picture to find the direct link.

For Flickr all you have to do is take the code it gives you for the 500px preview and replace the actual "URL" portion with the direct link to the full-size shot. The hard part is whittling down to find the URL for the full-size. I don't remember exactly, but I had to click through a few different things, then right-click and select properties on the picture to find the direct link.

It's really simple. I imagine people who post the links use the provided link by Flickr, which takes you to the flickr page. In most cases, people don't have a Flickr Pro (or a Flickr Pro anymore) so you only really need to post the Large size (which should be fine even if you have a Flickr Pro, and since this little trick only works for medium/640 med/large) I suggest only using the large in most cases.

All you have to do when you make a preview/link to full size, get the link to the large or 500 medium size image and alter the link, like this:

Medium 500px wide direct link:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5488343316_26d85309e1.jpg
Large size image:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5488343316_26d85309e1_b.jpg

The links are exactly the same, except the Large size has _b towards the end. You can just alter the code to find either size. This works for all image sizes except for Original which is a completely different link. Hope any of that helped/made sense.

Thanks TVR&FF and Franz, I've had that shot lying around since January, I've just been waiting for the right time to use it.

It's really simple. I imagine people who post the links use the provided link by Flickr, which takes you to the flickr page. In most cases, people don't have a Flickr Pro (or a Flickr Pro anymore) so you only really need to post the Large size (which should be fine even if you have a Flickr Pro, and since this little trick only works for medium/640 med/large) I suggest only using the large in most cases.

All you have to do when you make a preview/link to full size, get the link to the large or 500 medium size image and alter the link, like this:

Medium 500px wide direct link:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5488343316_26d85309e1.jpg
Large size image:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5488343316_26d85309e1_b.jpg

The links are exactly the same, except the Large size has _b towards the end. You can just alter the code to find either size. This works for all image sizes except for Original which is a completely different link. Hope any of that helped/made sense.

Thanks, guys. happycorey, I can't even get to a link like that - i.e., one that shows just the image on a blank page - regardless of which size I use, so there's no way for me to do it that way. Perhaps it's what they're doing with new accounts - I only created mine a couple months ago when I started my gallery. Anyway, I think I've figured it out - JTSnooks and you got me on the right path... I have to click on the page to which the link normally leads in order to see the full-size version in a 'lightbox' - I can use that URL to hyperlink a "click here for larger" version. I'll edit my entry to do exactly that - if it works, we may have solved the problem for flickr users. Thanks, guys!

Thanks, guys. happycorey, I can't even get to a link like that - i.e., one that shows just the image on a blank page - regardless of which size I use, so there's no way for me to do it that way. Perhaps it's what they're doing with new accounts - I only created mine a couple months ago when I started my gallery. Anyway, I think I've figured it out - JTSnooks and you got me on the right path... I have to click on the page to which the link normally leads in order to see the full-size version in a 'lightbox' - I can use that URL to hyperlink a "click here for larger" version. I'll edit my entry to do exactly that - if it works, we may have solved the problem for flickr users. Thanks, guys!

I've been no Flickr for almost a year now, and have had no problem linking to a larger image. But what I do is not use the link flickr gives you. In firefox I just load up the larger size I want to link to right click on the image and click copy link location. So the larger image just comes up on a blank page not in a Flickr page.

happycorey - Best to leave them out of the thread, to keep it to just entries. I was gonna say to put them in your gallery, but... why don't you have one yet?!

I've gotta sleep for an early day tomorrow, but I'll hammer out something about dealing with the easiest preview-to-fullsize post style for Imageshack and Flickr. I have no experience with Photobucket, so someone else might need to cover that one :)

Final Entry

"It's nice to know America still builds rockets"

Easily my favorite photo I have taken so far. There are just so many little details I love​

What I normally do, and what you seem to have trouble doing, just wait for the normal picture page to load, right click on the image, and you can choose from the different sizes (medium, large) and then it bring up that size, and I just click and drag the picture to a tab and it will basically just give you the direct link at the top. Hope this helps.

happycorey - Best to leave them out of the thread, to keep it to just entries. I was gonna say to put them in your gallery, but... why don't you have one yet?!

Ehh I thought about it but I really just don't take enough pictures to make a gallery. I might though..

Final Entry
Superspeedway-Indy_1.jpg

better everyone ?

Last edited:
Final Entry

SlipZ, have you seen my tutorial for putting the big image links in the previews in last week's comp? Maybe you can put it in the read this sticky, because I still see people not doing it, and that costs you more time.

Nice, Aleman. 👍

thats a pretty sweet pic i like the way it looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back