• 61 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Inspired by the same topic in the GT2 forum

So, embarrassingly, I've only just realised that all PS3s can play PS1 games. It appears that it's only PS2 games that need the backwards compatability, of which my bottom-of-the-range 40GB model doesn't have.

So I've started a new game on the PS3, and I'm unsure what starter car to choose this time around. Tried and tested, I go for the R32 GT-s; 212hp 4WD at the start of the game is useful.

But I wanted to try and get a Pulsar as a starter; I did the licenses first to advance the days and used dealerships. Pulsars are about Cr.14,000 but I've managed to find ones for as little as Cr.10,020. So frustrating.

Other cars that are available are K-Spec S13s, the slower 13B Cosmo and the non-turbo MAZ70 Supra.

Thoughts? What should I choose? Which is your favourite?

Best starter car by power would be the 400R and cheapest would be Dodge Concept Car.
(the licence prize cars , Concept car costs 0 Cr when bought from another memory card)

link

My advice is: take some lightweight FF car. Alot easyer to drive/better handling than RWDS.

MadMax

The good old gt2toxs site, a lot of useful information there.

You've been gone for a while. And that car is good in my opinion, however I liked the powersliding you could exhibit in the GTO at Autumn Ring Mini in the Sunday Cup. And 221 hp for 8000Cr was a great use of money as well. Not to go against what you said, but that's my opinion.

But if he's just starting out, the Civic would be the best car because Front-Engine/Front-Wheel Drive cars are easier to handle and drive.

But if he's just starting out, the Civic would be the best car because Front-Engine/Front-Wheel Drive cars are easier to handle and drive.

You mean me? I've played GT1 loads; I'm just starting a new game, this time on PS3 and was just wondering on people's opinion on starters.

I like the Cosmo, but it's only the 13B...

I see. I might go for a real grind and try and get the TRD 3000. All gold IA? I find it a tough ask.

But I wanted to try and get a Pulsar as a starter; I did the licenses first to advance the days and used dealerships. Pulsars are about Cr.14,000 but I've managed to find ones for as little as Cr.10,020. So frustrating.

http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/gt1us...f=6&sr=0&s=1&s=6&ot=HTML&nb=0&od=newpage&nq=0

Need to look on days 170-179, 220-229, 280-289, 310-319 or 580-589.

Here are all possible starter cars.
http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/gt1us...sr=0&s=3&s=4&s=6&ot=HTML&nb=0&od=newpage&nq=0
Sorry, no car specs available for the complete used car inventory.

Oh. My results might not apply for PAL version.

Last edited:
What is the car with the highest amount of horsepower available under 10000 chromium (Cr)? Is it the Naturally Aspirated GTO available on day 1? It has 221 hp by the way.

Yeah, it probably is the GTO. The Skyline has either 187 or 212 horsepower.

I decided to do something I'd never done before; pick a Silvia as a starter. A '91 S13 K. Presonally, considering how much it is raved, I think it's a POS. Obviously I won the Sunday Cup, but this car is definitely a stepping stone to something better. Doubt I'll use it again unless it's good when tuned.

SportWagon
Diamond Member

My stats say only 214 for the GTO but 230 for the MA70 Supra.

http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/gt1sta...d=newpage&nq=0

You can choose between three MA70 Supras on Day 1. But the red one is the best value because it's red.

Ah. I need to visit that site. I was going off by memory. The GTO states it has 221 horsepower at the dealership.

And I do agree, the best car is the Supra. Beautiful Red color. I remember in your diary how you loved that car.

Doesn't the dealership actually state the Supra has 236 hp?

My stats were mechanically pulled out of the in-depth car list FAQ produced by David Connoy.

Still available at
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197468-gran-turismo/faqs

I just checked these disputed figures, and that was what that FAQ said.

It says
Stock HP: Listed with each car is the stock peak horsepower (this is the real value from the garage, NOT the figure quoted by the dealership).

He may or may not still have mistakes, but it looks like a seventh version after soliciting mail about mistakes, so it's probably pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Why didn't I know that PS3 was backwards copatible with PS1 games??? Stantring a career in GT1 or GT2 would certainly ease the pain while waiting for the GT5 launch.

On topic: I seem to recall that the Mitubishi GTO is an excellent starter car in GT1.
Really looking forvard to dig up GT1 from the drawer and start up som good old nostalgia.

Why didn't I know that PS3 was backwards copatible with PS1 games??? Stantring a career in GT1 or GT2 would certainly ease the pain while waiting for the GT5 launch.

On topic: I seem to recall that the Mitubishi GTO is an excellent starter car in GT1.
Really looking forvard to dig up GT1 from the drawer and start up som good old nostalgia.

Same. Only reason I started this topic was partly inspired by the same topic in the GT2 forum, and because I had only just realised myself and cracked out GT1 again!

tyrellg, edit button is your friend. (No malice intended, just advice)

MazdaPrice
Inspired by the same topic in the GT2 forum

So, embarrassingly, I've only just realised that all PS3s can play PS1 games. It appears that it's only PS2 games that need the backwards compatability, of which my bottom-of-the-range 40GB model doesn't have.

So I've started a new game on the PS3, and I'm unsure what starter car to choose this time around. Tried and tested, I go for the R32 GT-s; 212hp 4WD at the start of the game is useful.

Other cars that are available are K-Spec S13s, the slower 13B Cosmo and the non-turbo MAZ70 Supra.

Thoughts? What should I choose? Which is your favourite?

Thank you! I never knew ps3s could play ps1 games even though I've owned it for more than a year know! Know on to ps2 games...

Many good choices on first cars here. I think that the Preludes, 3-Door Civic, MA70 Supra, 1800 Silvia K's, and the Mazda RX-7 GT-X are all awesome starting cars.

As a matter of fact on my current GT1 game I started my first bought car was a Black Nissan Silvia 1800 K's and it has got me through the first 2 GT leagues easily.

Am I the only one who almost always picks the Nissan Skyline GT-S? It can easily win all the beginner races, and its very tossable through turns.

Wish I'd seen this thread before I'd started my (first ever!) game of GT. I bought the RX-7, which is OK and fun to drive but it looks like there were better choices.

The three Nissan Skyline GTS models are both very limited in their tuning. But if your plan is to move on to other cars, they work.

And, true, the David Connoy car list at http://www.gamefaqs.com/ says...
The GTS Type M and Type S have better acceleration than their peak HP indicates, due to their more gently sloped power curves. The GTS-4 has the worst power-to-weight ratio in a tuned 4WD, and is the least powerful 4WD overall.

Last edited:
I can't remember what car I started this game with the first time I played it because it was so long ago, but since then I've restarted the game 3 times.

The first 2 times I chose the MA70 Supra GT Turbo Limited, which I think is the best starter car in GT1. I've recently restarted a third time by creating a save file on the PS3 and I decided to try something else, so I went for the RX-7 FC GT-X. It's not a bad car to be honest, but it's definitely not as good as the MA70 Supra in my opinion. I had to modify it to the max just to make it competitive enough to challenge the opposition in the Clubman Cup.

Latest Posts

Back