Best Starter Car?

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 61 comments
The S13 Silvia is a beast..light weight..200HP...earn some cash and juice it, and you're good...
Also the MA70 supra...
When I first played Gran Turismo 1 I was 5 years old...
The Supra was the 1st car I bought everytime until like last year...
At 5 years old I took that car and earned 300,00+ dollars...
It's a great starter car...
On the downside it's hella heavy...

I started with the GTO '92, the car's not bad, when you buy all parts and get it racing mod, it's pretty good for doing Clubman cup in.

i always wanted to start with that 4x4 Skyline, but never got it for less than 10k cr..
So i started with: Prelude 94, Red Supra Turbo and old RX-7

88' Silvia s13 K 1800cc

Almost every time I start a new game. Unless I feel like starting with the 400r. Its 5,100 I think and after the first week its 5,010. Something like that. And, black is a decent color on almost any car in the game. With it I've won every event it can be entered into except normal car challenge. The Race-kit is a tad goofy but, I've learned to like it.

But, I guess I can't say its the best starter. I haven't tried all of them yet. I tend to avoid the supra since I think its ugly and overrated. I'd honestly rather drive a miata. I don't like FWD but, civic hatch is a good starter.

Actually, BEST Started car is probably the 400r. You don't need gold in A & B so just breeze through passing with whatever times count as passing. In the iA you have some opportunity to ride the walls (if you need to) in most of the tests. I think its easier to get all golds in iA than in A. As soon as you get it you can beat normal car challange and start selling the prize cars making money before ever spending any.

I understand that no one is likely to read this but, whatever I just felt like sharing.

Wow, am I the only one who went for the 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0Te? Then again, I usually like to give myself a challenge. I stuck with the Primera in the spot races until I got all the licenses, then go for the FF challenge, and Autumn Cup. By then I'd have enough to get my reliable Galant VR4.

Inspired by the same topic in the GT2 forum

So, embarrassingly, I've only just realised that all PS3s can play PS1 games.

I realise this post is years old but... are you serious? I have GT1 and 2 sitting here (that I've had since they were released) with no PS1 to play them on. I have had a PS3 for years and years... I'm absolutely LIVID.

(Read this in Morpheus' voice)
What if i tell you
your PS2 can play them too.

Its a pity that no newer PS (Starting with PS4) will ever be back compatible, except for games which will be re-released/remastered. So they can milk money on it. (ehm PlayStation Classic)

My PS2 is a super slim - is that backwards compatible? I've always believed it wasn't. This is an outrage.

As far as i'm aware all PS2 models should be able to play PS1 games, though I think later PS2 models started emulating parts of the PS1 hardware, but GT shouldn't have any problems I would think.
That's right. You'll have to mod the system and use GSM though to force 480i/576i if you're using component cables, since most TVs won't accept 240i/288i over component or HDMI. For PS1 best option therefore is an RGB SCART or a PS3.

On topic now, the GTO '92 for 8500ish credits is probably the most powerful starter at 212bhp.

I meant for someone who just started playing today. A FF car would be best for them.

I totally agree. My first videogame car ever (not in GT, but in a PS1-era game called Ford Racing) was a Ford Ka. Total slug, top speed of about 74 miles per hour. And in that game, tuning options are quite limited. But I think if I'd started in some rear-drive death demon I never would have "got it", so far as how to take corners, how to reintroduce throttle (however meager) and so on.

That being said, my first and favorite starter would be the '88 Nissan Silvia Q's, which of course, is rear-drive. But by the time I started driving it, I already had plenty of experience with some rear-drives in Ford Racing.

I actually learn to drive right now in a Ford Ka :D

Anyway, yeah, I guess that makes a lot of sense. FF cars are pretty suitable for beginners in the game, I personally like putting my little sister in the FTO in the arcade mode because it's so easy to drive :P

Started a new game this week for the first time since pre-GT2 days. Got my B license (not all golds yet) and bought a Silvia K's because my beloved CRX wasn't available yet. Man it's hard going from a T300 and GT Sport back to this! Still won my first Sunday Cup, but the controls are pretty trash by modern standards.

Inspired by the same topic in the GT2 forum

So, embarrassingly, I've only just realised that all PS3s can play PS1 games. It appears that it's only PS2 games that need the backwards compatability, of which my bottom-of-the-range 40GB model doesn't have.

So I've started a new game on the PS3, and I'm unsure what starter car to choose this time around. Tried and tested, I go for the R32 GT-s; 212hp 4WD at the start of the game is useful.

But I wanted to try and get a Pulsar as a starter; I did the licenses first to advance the days and used dealerships. Pulsars are about Cr.14,000 but I've managed to find ones for as little as Cr.10,020. So frustrating.

Other cars that are available are K-Spec S13s, the slower 13B Cosmo and the non-turbo MAZ70 Supra.

Thoughts? What should I choose? Which is your favourite?
honestly i would start with the supra it can go pretty fast when it has a turbo i started with it it will win any race pretty much

Supra is pretty heavy and only average at best in handling though. Much better choice is FC RX-7.
Or of course the Concept Car as a prize for all golds in licence B is pretty handy :)

Last edited:
i have gotten it to go pretty fast it over steers like a son of **** though seriously it will slide if you are not careful with the braking but it will go fast if you have every single race modification you can get for the engine

You must set your rear brake balance to half the front, at max. Maybe even 1/3 of the front force.

Last edited:
my settings for my suspension and brakes are 6.7 and 3.7 for spring rate 105 mm for ride height both rear and back level 4 dampers stabilizer both 4 brakes both 15

turbo level 7
gearing
1 4.400
2 2.086
3 1.276
4 0.929
5 0.741
6 0.609
final 4.300
Down force
front 0.60
back 0.64
i was looking at my tuning in gt1 once i found it

I always chose the supra as well. I did start with a pulsar I believe once. Second car was a a viper in most cases. Kept making bank with the viper until I could buy the GTO LM Edition. Best car In the game

'88 Nissan Silvia Q's
How come not the turbo model, rather the NA one? Just curious here...?
Wow, am I the only one who went for the 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0Te? Then again, I usually like to give myself a challenge. I stuck with the Primera in the spot races until I got all the licenses, then go for the FF challenge, and Autumn Cup. By then I'd have enough to get my reliable Galant VR4.
The thought of owning a primera even on a Memory card makes me puke though

Last edited:
The thought of owning a primera even on a Memory card makes me puke though
:D
Not wrong, but the Primera is quite good to drive in GT 1 :) Maybe the best 326hp N.A. car in the game?
Even the A.I. does some fast laps sometimes with it (PAL - GT World Cup - SSR5 if I recall correctlly)

Back