Moglet

Gendertrash
Premium
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Moglet85
Moglet
headerxqt.jpg

Welcome to my guide to GT5’s Photomode! The aim of this guide is to share various tips and techniques to getting great looking photos and to editing well in Photoshop. To use this guide you will need to be familiar with Photomode and basic photography techniques, and will require a basic understanding of image editing software. I use Adobe Photoshop CS running on MacOS but there are plenty of options available out there.

If you are a complete newcomer to Photomode, then it will be worth your time reading gtsomething’s ‘Make the most of the GT5 Camera v2.0’ as this covers everything you need to start taking brilliant photos.

Guide Index

1. Composition
a. Vehicles in motion
b. Stationary Vehicles/Phototravel [Coming soon!]
c. Multi car photos [Coming soon!]
d. Tips and Tricks [Coming soon!]

2. Editing
a. Colour Balance
b. Lighting and Reflections [Coming soon!]
c. Tips and Tricks [Coming soon!]

1. Composition
1.a – Vehicles in Motion

Capturing cars in motion is easy thanks to GT5’s excellent blur options. Composing your image effectively is a whole other ball game though, and for newcomers to photography there are a few pointers that can help change an image from a boring snapshot to a well composed piece of art.

First up you should think about your surroundings when moving the camera around, as the car isn’t the end of the photo. Getting the reflections on the car to look good is a great idea but you must also consider what this will do to the surroundings that you’re shooting in. When I shoot cars in motion I take a look at what’s around the image and think about the appearance they will have when blurred.

Here’s a good example of areas I spotted while setting up my demonstration photo. All of the sections highlighted in red contain interesting features that will show up as points of interest around the photo when blurred. The image next to it shows how those areas become eye catching and interesting without being too distracting.

tut12.jpg

But it’s not only blurring that you should take into consideration. Sometimes the framing alone can be difficult to get right. Placing the car right on the edge of the frame is a definite no-no as it leads the viewer’s eye off the page and away from the photo which you definitely don’t want!

The example below shows the effect this has on a photo. The image on the left clearly has the rear part of the car clipped off, whilst the image on the right keeps it in full frame.

tut34.jpg

But I like to take things a step further and consider where the car is going to and coming from. It’s clearly supposed to indicate forwards motion, but the composition could reflect this better. This technique is simple, all you need to do is move the frame slightly so that the ‘blank’ section in front of the car is larger than that at the back. As seen below:

tut2small.jpg

It’s only a tiny difference but it can have a huge effect upon the image and how the viewer’s eye sees your image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Editing
1.a – Colour Balance

A lot of people ask me how I get my photos to look the way they do, often describing the tones I use as quite retro and faded. The key to this look is using the ‘Colour Balance’ adjustments effectively. For this section of the tutorial we will be using a sample image so you can try and get the same results as my finished image. The image can be downloaded by clicking the thumbnail below.

Now it’s time to get started! The first thing you should do before making any major adjustments is to duplicate the image so you have a backup of the original in case things go pear shaped! You can do this in 2 ways, by clicking on ‘Duplicate Layer’ from the ‘Layer’ menu or by dragging the base image to the ‘New Layer’ button in the Layers panel.

colour1.jpg

Once this is done you should be left with a Layer panel that looks like this:

colour2.jpg

Now you can start making adjustments!
The Colour Balance adjustments panel can be opened by clicking ‘Image’ followed by ‘Adjustments’ and then ‘Colour Balance’

colour3y.jpg

This should open up a panel like the one below

colour4.jpg

These are the adjustment bars for each level of brightness found in your photo. It’s fairly straightforward; you simply select your brightness level from ‘Shadows’, ‘Midtones’ or ‘Highlights’ and then slide the bars to adjust the colours in that area. Selecting Shadows and then sliding the top bar all the way to the left, for example, will make your shadows and dark areas appear Cyan in colour.

The ‘Preview’ option lets you see your image change as you make adjustments to it. It’s best to leave this ticked so you can see what’s happening as you slide the bars about.

‘Preserve Luminosity’ is a simple option that I often leave unticked as it can drastically alter the image. With this ticked ON, any adjustments you make to the image will also alter the brightness or darkness of that selected area to match the colour. With it turned OFF, you will simply being editing the colour of that area, not the brightness. Experiment with it both on and off to see which you prefer.

For now though, leave it unticked and enter the following settings on your sliders:

colour5.jpg

These settings will give you a nicely adjusted image that almost looks like the sun is setting on Trial Mountain:

step1r.jpg

This is a nice looking image, but I think it could do with a little more ‘pop’ from the brighter areas. So, undo your adjustments by clicking ‘Edit’ and then ‘Undo’ and you should go back to the original image. This time, open the Colour Balance sliders and make sure that Preserve Luminosity is ticked. Then, enter the following adjustments:

colour6.jpg

This will leave you with an image that’s similar to the first, but has more contrast to it and definitely leaps out of the page more than the last one! There’s one last thing that I always do before saving my image though, and that is to tone down the adjustments just a little. It means that you can preserve a little more of the original colour without losing the contrast and tones of the adjustments you’ve just made.

In your Layers panel, adjust the Opacity of the 2nd layer to around 75%.

colour7.jpg

It’s a subtle difference but it actually changes the mood of the image quite dramatically in my opinion!
This should leave you with the following image that you can now save (under a new file name!) for future use.

step2tb.jpg

The easiest way to learn all about Colour Balancing is to play around with images using the sliders. Don’t be afraid to go wild, either. It can sometimes give very impressive and artistic results.

That’s all for this section, but stay tuned for further updates!

----------------------------------------------------

If you require any further help, don’t hesitate to reply to this thread and I’m sure someone will be along to help you soon enough!

Version history
11/5/11 - 2.a 'Colour Balance' added [v1.1]
5/5/11 - V1.0 thread started, 1.a 'Vehicles in Motion' added
Images resized, 2 pairs of images under 1.a merged, highlighted areas made clearer

Last edited:
If anyone spots any mistakes or has any suggestions of additions to this thread, please let me know by repyling here. I'll try and keep on top of things as much as I can! 👍

That is a very usefull Read Mog .Would love to see the rest thanks for your effort 👍

I'm thinking of making the images smaller, any thoughts? They seem a bit intrusive at the minute and eventually there will be a LOT of them so downsizing might make it a bit easier on the eyes.

The area you higlighted red is not easy to spot, you may want to make it a little bit more so you can see it more easily =) But the rest is really nice i can't wait for the rest =D

EDIT: And yes i think it is better you down-size the images a bit =)

Thanks for the feedback Bossie, I'll try some different methods to highlight those areas 👍

No thanks, you are helping me to become a better photographer so the least i could do is help you al little =P

with the fact that I'm using a 13" Macbook, I would say yes. But it didnt disordered me though...
So on a bigger screen, they should be perfect.

Like your Guide is! 👍
Really nice written and perfect for beginners AND average PM-Enthusiasts. ;)

I'm also taking into consideration viewing on mobile browsers, and viewing this thread on my phone means the images take up almost the entire screen :lol: So resizing the images is definitely something that will happen with the next update.

Looking really good so far! 👍

I agree with the images being too big, also it might be nice if the first two pairs of photos were placed side by side. Would make it easy to compare the differences rather than scrolling up and down.

Nice job here, maybe you could make the images 25% smaller but no more or they will become almost useless.

BTW
Can't wait for the Colour Balance part, show us your secrets ahah!!:)

Hey Moglet, I really appreciate your going public with "Moglet's Secrets" :)
A great job so far, and I know what it takes...
I'll stay tuned to your "dissertation", which is helpful and informative for me.

Where was my PM about this? ;)

I'm adding this to the FAQ's Tutorial section, Mog - very handy tool for members 👍

This is great Mog!👍 Very clear and informative, I look forward to your future updates.

Can't wait for the editing guide. I really need that.

I second that.

Great idea, Mog.

But I have at least figured out how to delete the watermarks without leaving any traces...

...in GIMP.

Looking forward to part two. :)👍

The next part should be up some time next week, I've got a lot on my plate this week and then a wedding to attend at the weekend. Stay tuned though!

'Colour Balance' has now been added. Enjoy! Coming next is a simple editing trick that gives images a nice little unique look. 👍

Thank you so much Mog, the way you explained that has really helped me understand. I am a comlete n00b when it comes to editing, the way you explain things is very clear and simple, I look forward to future updates eagerly!

To sum up :bowdown:

This tutorial could turn out to be just as important to me as gtsomething's thread.

Just a question though, did you get the colour balance numbers and upcoming editing options by experimenting or in a photography class?

Absolutly great moglet! 👍

That was the kind of tutorials I was looking for when I started to use Photomode religiously.
Its great how you show where exactly raise bars or levels.
That surely will help lots of people.

But what I would highly recommend to you guys (GT5 enthusiasts) is to get Adobe Lightroom!
Its much easier than PS and keeps it to a min of prospects. But for editing pictures it is absolutly great.
Also more beginner friendly than PS!

But with moglets help, it shouldnt be necessary. ;)

HEY!!!! 1000 posts :D

Back