Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
1959 Dodge Custom Royal

26825500004_large.jpg

specs

Last edited:
Cool, especially in black. Had it been Cadillac sixty special, it would be Sub-Zero.

Cool.

Its back when Dodge actually did something right, and has enough chrome to make google jealous.

It may not be Sam and Max's DeSoto, but it's definitely mean-looking. I'll give it a "cool" based on pure pants-wetting presence.

Sub-Zero! It's awesome,
There's a green one in Mumbai, It always shows up at classic car meets/rallies, For a old car with a big V8 it's amazingly silent! Almost doesn't make any sound at all.
december18th2009008.jpg

It's a Dodge. Seriously uncool.
What's wrong with it being a Dodge?

Sometimes I wish I lived back in the days of cars like this. Those American Graffiti days were so cool.

Sometimes I wish I lived back in the days of cars like this. Those American Graffiti days were so cool.

Back when cars looked like they wanted to kill you instead of hug you (I'm looking at you, Mazda 3!)?

Not a big fan of the styling... got nothing against these chromed leviathans, but the front end styling is a total put off for me.. mostly the eyelids..

Dunno, It's a fine line between whats cool and what's just 50's greaser.. this just falls the wrong side of the line IMO.. probably because of the chrome eyelids..

.. did I mention those chrome eyelids don't do it for me?

I think the year of the car should be clarified, as these cars changed quite a lot from one year to the other. The car pictured by the OP was a 1959, but the 1958 doesn't look even closer to how mean the 59 was.:
1958%20Dodge%20Royal%20Lancer.jpg

And by 1960 there even wasn't a Custom Royal, but a 60 Dodge looked like this:
1960-Dodge-4d-sedan-white-le.jpg

So, the post should well read "1959 Dodge Custom Royal".

That bein' said, all these old barges are absolutely sub-zero.

Uncool -> Compared to my favorite 'finned-mobile, the '57 Bel Air. This looks like and Edsel that made its ghastly grille go horizonal... :indiff:

As an object it's interesting. As a vehicle, where i live, you'd look a tool driving one. Uncool.

Back