Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
1978 - 1980 AMC Pacer D/L Hatchback

5714800236_eeaca2713b.jpg

Engine: 304 CID V8 at 130 HP - Naturally Aspirated
Drivetrain: FR
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 3-speed manual (with or without overdrive), 4-speed manual
Weight: 3400 lbs.
0-60 MPH - 11.8 seconds
Top Speed - 110 MPH

All the `70`s chic you could ever want - soooo cool!👍👍👍

Last edited:
One of the worst cars of all time. Looks like a fish bowl. Slow, unreliable, unsafe.

Sub Zero.

One of the worst cars of all time. Looks like a fish bowl. Slow, unreliable, unsafe.

Sub Zero.

I'd expect you to say uncool if it's the worst car of all time...

Personally, I'd say cool. Would be sub zero if that V8 had double the horsepower.

Drivetrain was actually FR. ;)

Anywho it's really only cool because of the Wayne's World movies. I'm gonna go with meh on this one.

One of the worst cars of all time.
Is it?

A lot of this idea comes from "lol 70's" rather than any problem with the car itself. People loved the Pacer when it came out, and unlike the Vega nothing ever happened to make people think otherwise.

Yes, its ugly as sin and unbelievably weird; but it was the most reliable, fastest (unless you count the Mustang II as a competitor), safest (by far) and most forward-thinking car in the segment when it came out. And AMC pulled it all off with basically no money and a bunch of drivetrain components from the mid-60s, whereas GM and Ford spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the Vega and Pinto and ended up with a rusting time bomb and a rolling Napalm delivery system, respectively. None of those things make it cool, but lets make sure we call a spade a spade before we talk about how cool it is.

Last edited:
*shows up dressed up like Clarkson*

"Look what I've got here. The AMC Pacer. Hideously uncool car when it first came out, most people called it a fishbowl. In fact, it became so uncool that it actually leapt off the end of our board, and it's reputation became worse with every passing year, as people forgot that it wasn't actually that bad of a design, and was actually by far and away more reliable than the Vega and Pinto."

"So, further across the floor it went. and then it leapt out of the hangar, away from the airfield, over the atlantic, over the pacific, and, then, suddenly, it shows up...right...over...HERE."

((puts in Sub-Zero))

"If you remember any of those old videogames where if you got SUCH a high score, you'd actually go straight around to zero? Well, this car is so, UNBELIEVABLY uncool, that it actually has come all the way 'round the earth and is now cool! I mean, if you drive it around today, sure you might get some snickers from people who grew up in that era, but if you park it in a college parking lot, you'll get all kinds of interested kids walking around staring at it in awe. and then you say that you could get it with a V8 and their eyes light up. And, inevitably, there'll be a hot sorority girl among them..."

"Certainly, it looked like a fishbowl from the outside but the visibility is incredible, there's no blind spots. It has one of the longest-lasting inline sixes available, the same one that served in the Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee as the 4.0 H.O, or a 304 V8 which, with simple mods, could easily put power into the scary realm. It, along with the Gremlin, may have been the first ever Hothatch. Well...not counting the Cooper 1275..."

"It's a really brilliant concept, truly a car built by a company that had to be inventive and different to make up for not having the sheer development money of GM, Ford, and Chrysler, and they were just that, definitely, because despite being parts-bin cars, they worked! Especially considering the huge amount of money GM threw at the Vega, and then see how that ended up, in a rusty heap with a piece of melted aluminium at the front..."

"Anyway, it's cool and on that end of the board it stays."

This thing is seriously uncool in a very amusing way (somehow), so...I guess that's enough to bump it up to just uncool.

You got sunburns without window tint (still have never seen one with window tint...).

There's nothing cool about sunburns.

*shows up dressed up like Clarkson*

"Look what I've got here. The AMC Pacer. Hideously uncool car when it first came out, most people called it a fishbowl. In fact, it became so uncool that it actually leapt off the end of our board, and it's reputation became worse with every passing year, as people forgot that it wasn't actually that bad of a design, and was actually by far and away more reliable than the Vega and Pinto."

"So, further across the floor it went. and then it leapt out of the hangar, away from the airfield, over the atlantic, over the pacific, and, then, suddenly, it shows up...right...over...HERE."

((puts in Sub-Zero))

"If you remember any of those old videogames where if you got SUCH a high score, you'd actually go straight around to zero? Well, this car is so, UNBELIEVABLY uncool, that it actually has come all the way 'round the earth and is now cool! I mean, if you drive it around today, sure you might get some snickers from people who grew up in that era, but if you park it in a college parking lot, you'll get all kinds of interested kids walking around staring at it in awe. and then you say that you could get it with a V8 and their eyes light up. And, inevitably, there'll be a hot sorority girl among them..."

"Certainly, it looked like a fishbowl from the outside but the visibility is incredible, there's no blind spots. It has one of the longest-lasting inline sixes available, the same one that served in the Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee as the 4.0 H.O, or a 304 V8 which, with simple mods, could easily put power into the scary realm. It, along with the Gremlin, may have been the first ever Hothatch. Well...not counting the Cooper 1275..."

"It's a really brilliant concept, truly a car built by a company that had to be inventive and different to make up for not having the sheer development money of GM, Ford, and Chrysler, and they were just that, definitely, because despite being parts-bin cars, they worked! Especially considering the huge amount of money GM threw at the Vega, and then see how that ended up, in a rusty heap with a piece of melted aluminium at the front..."

"Anyway, it's cool and on that end of the board it stays."

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

A changed vote. Congratulations sir, you've changed my mind! :lol:

And it's alewminuhm, not alewmineeyum!

They were that fast?

Had to check myself to make sure it wasn't a typo... egads! That's not bad for a 1.5 ton pig with a four-speed auto and a choker collar around its neck!

Also want to say my mom had one in the 70's, as well. Most of them were 6-cylinders.

Had to check myself to make sure it wasn't a typo... egads! That's not bad for a 1.5 ton pig with a four-speed auto and a choker collar around its neck!

Speaking of it not being a FF, but a FR, it also only came with a 3-speed auto (or 3/4-speed manual).

The looks alone put this car in sub-zero. The other bits help, too. The entire dash on these things is puuuuuuuuuuure gold.

Also:

Monstruous_Pacer_by_HotRodCano.jpg

Any car that has different sized driver and passenger doors surely must be sub-zero

Also, the car was designed to be FWD with a wankel rotary.

Garth and Wayne raise it up to a "Meh" for me.

Dull looking hatchback, with a big underpowered V8 and tiny wheels. Meh.

And I know AMCNUT will be mad at me for this.

Back