Mark Webber moving to Ferrari? Nope, signs with Red Bull!

• Thread starter DaxCobra
  • 78 comments
England
Norwich,Norfolk
GTP_DaxCobra
http://planetf1.com/driver/3213/7719342/-Webber-to-Ferrari-as-Perez-stop-gap-

PlanetF1
Webber is out of contract with Red Bull Racing at the end of this season, however, the Aussie is thought to be wanting to stay on in Formula One.

But with Red Bull looking to promote young drivers Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne, Webber has been forced to look elsewhere.

Add that to the belief that Ferrari are eager to part ways with the under-performing Massa, who has just two points from four races this season, and there is suddenly some credence to the Webber rumour.

According to Spain's El Confidencial, the deal came about because of the "great relationship" between Webber and Ferrari's leading driver Fernando Alonso who has "supported" the Aussie's arrival.

The publication even goes as far as to quote a source who states that the deal is "done."

As for why Ferrari have not opted to turn to Sergio Perez, the El Confidencial claims it's because the Italian outfit want him to have "more experience before assuming a role of great responsibility" at Ferrari.

So what do you think? Just a rumour, or could this really be true?

Edit 10th July 2012

Mark Webber has signed with Red Bull for the 2013 season.

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/7886254/Webber-s-2013-Deal-Signed-And-Sealed

He also admits there were talks with Ferrari.

Last edited:
http://planetf1.com/driver/3213/7719342/-Webber-to-Ferrari-as-Perez-stop-gap-

So what do you think? Just a rumour, or could this really be true?

Think about it for a minute.

1. Do you believe a driver well and truly in the championship fight would even consider giving up a superior car for an inferior car?

2. We have all seen how replacing drivers part way though the season doesn't work because of the lack of testing.

3. Massa's form has improved. He wasn't far behind Alonso last time out. He doesn't need to get any better since all Alonso wants is a competent Number 2.

1. Do you believe a driver well and truly in the championship fight would even consider giving up a superior car for an inferior car?

I think it might be RBR saying goodbye to Webber more than anything. Also, Ferrari have constantly been at the front, where as I think RBR will be gone soon. And who wouldn't want to end their career at Ferrari?

2. We have all seen how replacing drivers part way though the season doesn't work because of the lack of testing.

I think it is for 2013, not this year.

3. Massa's form has improved. He wasn't far behind Alonso last time out. He doesn't need to get any better since all Alonso wants is a competent Number 2.

I guess something this big would have been discussed before last week, and one race doesn't make up for the fact he has 4 points from 4 races and his teammate has won a race.

I guess something this big would have been discussed before last week, and one race doesn't make up for the fact he has 4 points from 4 races and his teammate has won a race.

Alonso tries to mold every team he joins into his personal team. He does not want or need a teammate taking points from him. It costs World Championships.

Alonso tries to mold every team he joins into his personal team. He does not want or need a teammate taking points from him. It costs World Championships.

I can't see Alonso having any problem beating Webber.

It also begs the question, why would Webber move from a team where he is Number 2 to another where he will still be Number 2?

I wouldn't be surprised if Webber left Red Bull just because of Helmut Marko's inane comments every few months. I mean, I'm sure he can take it because Webber seems like a pretty confident guy, but it must be just a little bit annoying driving for a team who's chief motorsports head keeps talking about your retirement and how you're rubbish. It always seems to me that the main reason Webber sticks around is because of Horner and the rest of the Red Bull team, but there really seems to be a divide between the team itself and the top management - mainly Marko.

Webber at Ferrari is not too ridiculous - he's good mates with Alonso and going to Ferrari is not that much of a step down seeing as they have one of the bigger budgets. Certainly right now the car isn't great, but they clearly will never be far from the front.

I still don't see it happening right now though, I think Perez is a more likely candidate. Webber must surely be looking at stepping down to a midfield team or leaving F1 when he leaves Red Bull, I can't see any of the top teams dropping their current drivers for him or taking him over the younger drivers like Perez, Di Resta, etc.

I strongly feel that Massa is going to get dropped, but I know for sure Mark isn't going to Ferrari. I'm sure they have plans with Perez.

Tom
It also begs the question, why would Webber move from a team where he is Number 2 to another where he will still be Number 2?

Because Ferrari.

Tom

If Red Bull force him out, then a Ferrari offer would probably be his best choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Webber left Red Bull just because of Helmut Marko's inane comments every few months. I mean, I'm sure he can take it because Webber seems like a pretty confident guy, but it must be just a little bit annoying driving for a team who's chief motorsports head keeps talking about your retirement and how you're rubbish.

Marko seems like a class A jackass. It would probably be the best reason to move.

I really don't see Ferrari trying to snag up Webber unless something with Perez falls through. Lets face it, Webber has what, MAYBE 3 more years? How long are Ferrari willing to commit to a driver who may need a year to get good in the car, and then retire?

triple_facepalm.jpg

Red Bull will only kick Webber out if they’ve got someone good lined up. If they do, the question is who that person is.

Neither Ricciardo not Vergne are up to the task. Ricciardo is the better qualifier; Vergne, the better racer. Fuse them together, and you’ve got someone who might be capable. But as it stands right now, they’re just not good enough. I suppose Red Bull could always draft Buemi in to replace Webber if he left mid-season, but I can’t see them taking Webber out of the seat for the sake of putting Buemi in. The same goes for Alguersuari, though I doubt he will ever drive for a Red Bull team again.

And thus we get to the crux of the matter. Webber won’t leave Red Bull without being compelled to leave. Right now, he’s the best driver available to them, so they won’t push him. Not unless they’ve found a driver from the left-of-field that would be totally unexpected and very promising; esteban Gutierrez and Felipe Nasr are the only drivers I can think of who are close to this.

Since Ferrari are struggling, nor will Webber take the plunge and defect to Maranello not unless the relationship with the team has broken down beyond repair, and I haven’t seen anything to indicate that this might be possible. His relationship with the team has endured much worse, what with the Turkey and Silverstone incidents back in 2010. Based on what we have seen in recent weeks, this is even less likely than the team picking up a rookie to fill the seat.

The bottom line here is that this is just the thinnest of speculation, if indeed it can be called speculation at all.

Dax Cobra.....RBR going somewhere are they?

Mark has only been a number 2 since Seb has been on the team.
Mark smashed every other team mate, with the exception of Nico, when at Williams.
Since 2009 Mark has been 3rd twice and 4th once in the championship. Why is he looking to go elsewhere ......?

RBR is team Jaguar that he helped build.... he is almost a foundation member. He's going nowhere until he wants to.
He has had a yearly contract for a couple of years now, he likes it that way to keep him hungry for the fight for his seat.
He is no one's fool, he knows Marko likes the young boys riding in his seat......... did I really say that ;)

Definitely rumours definitely.

I strongly feel that Massa is going to get dropped, but I know for sure Mark isn't going to Ferrari. I'm sure they have plans with Perez.

You know for sure?! Then can you clarify for us, could it be that you are either Mark Webber himself or his manager? Strong claim, knowing for sure! You don't happen to have next Saturdays lottery numbers do you?

You know for sure?! Then can you clarify for us, could it be that you are either Mark Webber himself or his manager? Strong claim, knowing for sure! You don't happen to have next Saturdays lottery numbers do you?

I think he's just stating his opinion, not saying that it's 100% certain that Mark Webber won't move to Ferrari.

I think he's just stating his opinion, not saying that it's 100% certain that Mark Webber won't move to Ferrari.

Yeah, I was aware of that, I was using this new thing called sarcasm ;)

But I'm quite certain (see what I did there) that Massa will be on his way out after this season but as is always the way with F1 the guessing game will carry on for a long, long time! However, the Webber rumour does seem to hold water vs signing Perez.

Either way, older member like people to have facts to back up opinions that don't sound all that much like opinion. (rather, I mean don't read)

Sorry, didn't read it that way. :)

That's ok mate, one massive problem with the internet as a whole as opposed to verbal communication is that a tone or feeling can never truly be passed on to the recipient. And anyway, they do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour! :ouch:

That's ok mate, one massive problem with the internet as a whole as opposed to verbal communication is that a tone or feeling can never truly be passed on to the recipient. And anyway, they do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour! :ouch:

True, what you write may not be read the way you want it to. Maybe they should include sarcasm quotes (though that would kind of ruin the point of sarcasm).

He's improving, as long as he's close enough to Alonso to get points but not threaten him for position. Ferrari'll keep him.

I think he's one of those drivers who does good when he has a good car underneath him, but put him in a okay-ish type car and he'll struggle.

So what, Massa went to a race in his Home country, and hung out with racing drivers from his country. Means nothing.

Back