Running Cheap in the Roadster Enduro

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 60 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
I've begun to favor running the low powered cars just to see if I can manage to win against the AI. This race was no exception.

I picked up a Mazda Miata (j) for 17,000 cr, added Sports Tires for 5K more, then hit it with an oil change before Race day. A total of 22,250cr to get me in the race.

Green Light
Skipped the qualifying and started form teh basement of the grid. The first lap was spent remembering the track and learning the opponenets. The Miata LS became the hare. He shot away from the pack and was running away with room to spare. I wasn't worried, as and insider on his pit crew informed me that The LS was running really soft tires, and would run a three lap pit schedule.

At the beginning of Lap 2, I began rubbing bumpers with one of the other Miata (J)'s in the race. It took me the remainder of that lap to clear him and catch the rear bumper of the 1.8 RS. We battled back and forth through laps 3 and 4.

It took me until lap 7 to pass one the leading Miata (j) for the lead. I made a much smoother pass through teh Sand trap than he did, allowing me to carry more speed up the hill and onto the front straight. I was disappointed to see him pit right after I passed him. This handed me a 4.3 second lead over the 1.8 RS.

Lap 8 was uneventful and wrapped up with a trip down pit road for my first scheduled pit stop. This pit stop droppedme all the way from 1st place to last place. Trailing the leader by 16+ seconds. The only saving grace was the LS and the 1.8RS both pitted on lap 9. So as I slipped through the Sand trap and ease by the Miata (J) into third, the LS and 1.8RS both pitted which moved me up to third place behind the other two Miata (J)'s.

Coming into the Hairpin, hard on the brakes, I was rear-ended by the LS, shoving me into the Miata (J) in front of me, he in turn pushed the leader out into the kitty litter.

The sand trap chicane showed the Miata LS, followed by a Miata (J) with me trailing him. This sequence held until the first corner of the next lap. Thanks to early braking I slipped by the Miata (J) and crossed the first time check in 2nd place.

Cruising to the end of that lap saw me 3.564 seconds off the leading LS. I knew that he'd be due for a pit at the end of this lap and would hand the lead back to me.

The following 4 laps were uneventful, leading up to my second scheduled pitstop on lap 16. While getting new tires, the LS and 1.8 RS passed me dropping me 4.3 seconds off the leader.

But on lap 18, the ls and 1.8RS both pitted handing a nice 11 secon dlead back to me. At the end of lap 19, the LS had pulled up to within 9 seconds of me. The last good attempt at catching me was after I pitted on lap 24. This coincided with his 8th pit stop. When I left the pit I still carried a 10.5 second lead I was confident of my ability to carry this to the checkered flag. Because he was on tires that warmed up faster than mine, he was able to chip significant amounts of time off my lead in the following 2 laps. Combine that with perhaps my worst lap time on lap 26 and you'll realize that it came as no surprise when he tried to ram me whilst I was braking for the hairpin on lap 27.

Luckily I had been tracking him in my mirror, and slipped to the left giving him the pleasure of only grazing my rear quarter panel instead of firing me off into the kitty litter. This was his last fleeting moment as he hit his 9th pit stop and and dropped off the lead.

The final twelve laps were uneventful. My lead was sufficient enough that I only had to run clean smooth laps to nail the top spot on the podium.

I was awarded a brand new Yellow Miata for my 95.5 mile run to first place along with 100,000cr.

Results:
Mx-5 Miata LS: + 34.565
MX-5 Miata 1.8 Rs: +50.612
MX_5 Miata (J): +57.611
MX_5 Miata (J): +1'35.290
MX_5 Miata (J): +1'38.200

Total Time: 1:13'01.853
Best Lap: 1'45.853

Thanks for watching the show.

AO

Great writeup, AO! People have been talking about street tires lately, and I admit I'm biased toward running race rubber on race tracks, but that sounds like an interesting run. Well done!

Well. I'm mightily impressed upon rereading this. I'm home sick today, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I bought the 17,000cr Miata, gave it the oil change and Sport tires, and started from 6th. I never got near the lead, let alone by the first pit stop. I finished third, about 25 seconds behind the hotshoe in the LS.

My time of 74':01.419" puts me exactly a minute behind AO, showing a nice consistent race on the part of the AI. Unfortunately, my driving wasn't so consistent, since my hot lap was 1':45.404" but somehow I managed to squander a second and a half on my average lap! I did drive a little conservatively in the first half of the race, but that's a great showing from Der Alta.

Originally posted by SnowbordrWRX
I'm wondering how the heck Der Alta remembered all that. It doesn't show times and leads on the replays!

You'll learn that Alta is a freak (in a good way) and can spit out tons of detailed information.

Originally posted by Goomba
You'll learn that Alta is a freak (in a good way) and can spit out tons of detailed information.

Uh-huh

Originally posted by SnowbordrWRX
Impressive. Maybe I should train myself to do that in a race...I bet the real life guys can replay their races back in their minds like that.

Experienced racers can. I've been through three autocrossings and I could only tell you about the parts I biffed it in. :)

Great write up Der alta.

I dont know if I want to do this race, I am not to keen on such a slow race, but then again im not to keen on any indurance race. Once again, great write up.

Gave it a go in the 16,900 Cr Miata MX-5 (J) with sports tires and and oil change.

Best Lap: 1'43.718 (On lap 40 :D )
Average Lap: 1'48.649
Average Speed: 96.1mph / 154.6kph
Average Hot Lap (est.): 1'45.250

Results:

Luxy: 1:12'25.960
Miata LS: 1:13'29.915
Miata LS: 1:13'31.427
Miata 1.8 RS (J): 1:13'54.150
Miata (J): 1:14'02.657
Miata (J): 1:12'47.546 (???)

The key is getting through the chicane without letting off, without touching the dirt, and without sliding the back end on exit ... it can be done, but I only managed it 3-4 times in 40 laps.

I wonder how this'd go without the sports tires ... ? I think it's doable.

Thanks Der Alta, you just motivated me to try my first enduro!(beside Super Speedway in the Escudo with rubberband... :P) Failed to beat your time though, I've finished in 1:13'13.XXX (and my fastest lap is in the low 1'46s :'( )

anyway, I was awarded my first F688/S :D

I'll search for other challenges well balanced like this one in the write-ups to complete the others enduros... any suggestions?

Love it!

Just had a go at this one. Thought that I'd try the normal tyres thing. No way that'll work unless you're in the LS version. I had a 16900CR Miata with no oil change, and it burns through normal tyres after just 4 laps.
So, I took the stock 16900CR Miata (in white to match my real one!), gave it a 50CR bath and some 5000CR sports tyres. Total of 21950CR for entry.

Fastest lap was 1'44.743 and results as follows:-

'93 MX-5 Miata (J) 1:12'44.035 (Me!)
'00 MX-5 Miata LS (J) +37.596
'98 MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (J) +1'06.357
'93 MX-5 Miata (J) +1'10.569
'98 MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (J) +1'11.963
'89 MX-5 Miata (J) + 1 Lap

Going to try again with the '89 MX-5 soon, as its got less HP than the '93, despite being 100CR more!?! Will run it stock, 118HP with no oil change, and sports tyres and see how I get on. Until later.....

Here's a pic of my real one for you to enjoy.....

Attachments

• Miata.JPG
    Miata.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 42
I did this a little while ago, but I used T2 tyres so there's nothing worth mentioning really. Good show Alta, always nice to hear the underdog won :)

I've been running this race in the last three weeks in an attempt to win the Limited A in Mica Merlot. No luck yet in 20 attempts.
My fastest race time was in a 1.8 i with t2's at 67 mins 47 seconds and a three lap winning margin. I started back of pack so I my find a few seconds if I start from pole. My best lap times with this car and trye have improved from 1:42.xxx at my first attempt up to high 1:39.xxx/ low 1:40.xxx at my last attempt.

My closest winning margin was in a 1.6 with T4's which was about 3 seconds. In this race I made the AI hare (1.8i) finnish last.
Speed out of the sand pit is very important to a good lap time in these cars. You can easily lose 2 seconds a lap with a bad run here.
I even run the race with the 1.8i on supersoft tryes so that I could match the AI hare. I ran consistant 3 lap cycles of 1:45, 1:40 and 1:50 laps. I still beat the AI hare by 1 lap.
I have driven all my MX5's here at least twice each and only have close races when I let the AI stay close to me.
From the 20 races, 16 were from 1 game and 4 from a German game I started to get the 3 Opel cars.
Prize cars for the first 16 races were : Seven 002's F1, seven yellow 1.6 mx5's, One 1.8 RS and one green Limited 1.8.
The last 4 races the prize cars are two 1.8 RS, one yellow 1.6, one green Limited 1.8.
I dont have the Special license on this German game and as yet no 002 have been won.Does this affect the prize car ratio? Certainly looks like it lowers my chances from 44% to none
I am going to try to improve my time tonight to run consistant 1.39 laps.

Uncle Harry! 👍
You must be a long-lost antipodean Uncle of mine!
I've run this race a lot over the past couple of weeks trying something similar!
After the race I posted the results for, I won the F688/S in dark blue/purple, but it wasn't what I wanted, I was after the M Edition B Excellent Green Mica one, as I have a Mica Merlot one on my other mem-card. (I also need the Yellow '89 Miata to complete the collection so I was after either car!)
I reloaded the game, ran the same race, '93 White 1.8 Miata with sports tyres, and won the '98 Sparkle Green Miata, reloaded re-raced, white & pale blue F688/S, and again, another '98 Sparkle Green Miata! Finally, on 5th attempt I got the '93 M-Edition in Excellent Green Mica! (Love how this one has a green convertible top too!) So, 5 attempts to get that one! :grumpy:
Now I'm racing the new one to try and win the elusive (for me) yellow '89 Miata.
Only done it once so far, and got another white/pale blue F688/S! Many more attempts to come though! :dopey:
Hopefully, it won't take me 20 attempts to see it! I went through something like that, the first time I tried to win the Tickford Falcon XR8, at superspeedway!
Perseverance will pay off eventually! :banghead:
If not, I have a Mica Merlot Miata for sale.....

Smallhorses, It will be gotten, just a matter of when.
I am using my German save at the moment in an attempt to win an F1 so that I can easily win the Opel Calibra. Thought I may have come accross the Mica Merlot in my quest.
The MX5 1.6 you win from the last race in beginner actually has the hardtop fitted instead of the soft top roof.

Update: Finally won the Mica Merlot Limited last night after two more attempts.
No F1 yet after 6 attempts on a new game.

Uncle Harry
Smallhorses, It will be gotten, just a matter of when.
I am using my German save at the moment in an attempt to win an F1 so that I can easily win the Opel Calibra. Thought I may have come accross the Mica Merlot in my quest.
The MX5 1.6 you win from the last race in beginner actually has the hardtop fitted instead of the soft top roof.

Update: Finally won the Mica Merlot Limited last night after two more attempts.
No F1 yet after 6 attempts on a new game.

Have run this 3 times now in the Excellent Green Mica Limited Miata, with no oil change & sports tyres. (Twice already tonight!) Fastest lap is now 1'43.9xx and total time has gone sub-72 mins to 71'54.xxx. No Yellow '89 Miata yet though 👎
So far I've won 3 F688/Ss, the White/Pale blue one, the Purple/Pale Blue one and the Red/White one!

Sod's law isn't it Uncle Harry? You want one & can't win one, I don't want one & can't stop winning them!

Feel another reload and attempt coming on....

OK that was probably the most fun finish I have ever had to a race. Just tried the same thing for the first time. $16,900 Miata with sports tyres and no oil change. Smallhorses and Uncle Harry you are both much better at this than me. My fastest lap was a padestrian 1'46.435 although to be fair that was close to the end of the race when I finally worked out a faster line through that chicane thingy. Hopefully my next attempt will be a little faster.

Anyway that flash git in the LS came out of the pits on lap 39/40 only about 3+ seconds behind me. Just held him off through the finish line to win by 0'00.428 :)

Talk about pulse racing as I came into the final straight :)

Sorry smallhorses but I won that yellow Miata you have been after ;)

First time I played GT3 through I admit I used a lot of overpowered cars to win races but this lower hp racing is certainly where all the fun is.

Way to go, Dave! Another convert to the School of Narrow Margins.

After reading Dave's review, I decided to re-run this in the same car. If he had a good close race, so could I.

At first pit on lap 10, I've already posted a 1'46.109 lap. Not sure if a faster one will come, as I opted for a 10 lap instead of 8 lap schedule. The front right tire not quite full red as it still has a hint of orange to it. Not sure how this will pay off, as I'm fairly close with my lap times even with the red tire.

I'm leading by well over 16 seconds at this point, so it's going to be a long lonely race without much interaction with the AI.

At my second pit stop, (36 minutes) I was leading by 29.661. I've been leading since lap 9 with the exception of the second half of lap 11 and most of lap 12. The LS pitted at that point, and has only ever managed to get within 8 seconds of me. This is lap 20, so after this, I've got one more pit stop to go. My fast lap was reset, and moved down to 1'45.792.

Pit stop #3 was at 54min. I've set a new fast lap of 1'45.197. AS well as a 1'45.699. My front right tire was so red it was smoking by the time I pulled into the pit stop. The front left, and rear right were orange. The left rear was still yellow. I'm 37.968 seconds in the lead, and I'm on the last pit stop. The leading AI has 4 more stops. Lap 30, 33, 36 and 39. So Suffice to say, I'll be well out in front. As it is, I'm likely to lap 2 possibly 3 AI by the finish line. It all depends on their pit schedule.

Results:
Final time: 1:12'12.974
Fast lap: 1'44.596 (lap 35)
Average lap:1'06.824
AI average lap: 1'10.068

MX-5 LS: 1'09.732
MX-5 1.8 RS: + 1'41.009
Miata (j): + 1'43.096
Miata (j): +1 lap
Miata (j): +1 lap

I walk away with 100,000cr and the F688/s (which I sold off for 300,000cr)

An fun run, but a bit of a blow-out. My Hp is up to 128, and I'm at 95.3miles.

So Dave, no need to worry, SmallHorses and Uncle Harry are both running significantly faster cars than you or I. I'd like to have a discussion and find out where you can pick up some speed. In the near future, I'll take an identical car, and run a few free run laps, then post up my analyzer times. You can compare them to yours and see how they match up. It might give you the ability to find some time in there. Or if you have access to a sharkport, I can upload the replay.

AO

I ran this again looking for as much fun the second time around but alass no joy :(

All that practice had resulted in a fastest lap of 1'44.521 (my average was more like high 1'45's low 1'46's. I use the same 10 lap pit stops (yeah that glowing red front right tyre is cool :) ) and this time won by 1'08.987

If I get time tonight I'll try the same thing again in the 118hp Miata and see how I can do in that with no oil change and sports tyres :)

I have the x-port too so comparing laps could be fun :)

Most of the time I picked up came at the chicane. Learning how to take that without coming off the gas had me exiting at 66mph instead of 54. And I think I have got faster on the hairpin. Although the AI still goes into that faster than me so if there is one of them even remotely close to me he'll ram into the back of me ever freaking time :( I go in slower but come out faster. Personally I think my strategy is better :)

Noticed the other night that the field for this race changes.
The first field on entry is always the 1.8i (1.8LS in NTSC), 1.8 RS, and 3 older style MX5's.
After doing exit and re-enter 2 1.8RS show up and only 2 older style MX5's.
Ran the 7th race on my German save and finally won a Silver OO2.
Very easily won my Opel Calibra with this car. 👍
I now have the 3 Opels on my English Game.
I just need the blue 1.6 MX5 from the Beginner GT World cup to complete my collection of winnable MX5's.

Uncle Harry
Noticed the other night that the field for this race changes.
The first field on entry is always the 1.8i (1.8LS in NTSC), 1.8 RS, and 3 older style MX5's.
After doing exit and re-enter 2 1.8RS show up and only 2 older style MX5's.
*snip*
I just need the blue 1.6 MX5 from the Beginner GT World cup to complete my collection of winnable MX5's.
In the race I reported above, I faced two 1.8 LS racers. Seems one was a better driver than the other.

So after winning the remaining MX5, are you going to start looking for the handful of unobtainable MX-5's?

AO

Ok, so I'm getting bored of this race now... I've entered this Excellent Green Mica Ltd Edition in this race with sports tyres once too often now, trying to get hold of that elusive Yellow '89 Miata.... I keep reloading so I'm not putting game days or 1000's of miles on it, even though I'm not looking for any kind of 229 day or 100% win ratio record, there's just something about using tooooo many days that seems nasty to me.... :mischievous: so I tried this.... having beaten the '00 LS Miata by 40 - 50 odd seconds using sports tyres, I'm now convinced that even without oil change, the 130HP Green Mica Ltd Edition can beat this race on normal tyres and a 4 lap pit strategy. Here's the latest, but stay tuned 'cos I'm very very very stubborn, and won't be beaten! :banghead: (well, by the AI at least, I'm regularly thrashed by Mr P., Oliver DePlace, GoKents, Famine, Road_Dogg33J, eggman, UB57, etc, etc in Div 1 of the WRS since I registered! :ouch: )

I tried it a couple of nights ago and it quickly became apparent that fighting your way through the backmarkers during the first 4 laps is going to cost me an arm & a leg time-wise, so I went against all my best principles and qualified tonight.

Qualifying Times.... (only 1 hotlap of qualifying)

'00 Miata LS 1'43.242
'93 Miata 1.8 Ltd Excellent Green Mica (Me!) 1'46.373 :D
'93 Miata 1.8 1'48.378
'98 Miata 1.8RS 1'48.974
'89 Miata 1.6 1'50.908
'89 Miata 1.6 1.51.071

With a 3s per lap discrepancy it was going to be tough, :dunce: coupled with the fact that I've drunk 3 Coronas, a 750ml bottle of 8.5% Duvel Belgian Ale and some Cognac tonight, & we all know drinking & driving ain't cool! :sly: This was going to be doubly tough!

The race, finished like this, won't bore you with the details other than the winning 160HP '00 Miata LS was on Super-soft tyres and a pitstop every 3 laps, whereas I was on a pitstop every 4 laps in the 130HP '93 Ltd Miata on normal tyres....

'00 Miata LS 1:13'42.203
'98 Miata 1.8RS +10.753
'93 Miata 1.8 Ltd Excellent Green Mica (Me!) +11.621 :D
'93 Miata 1.8 +18.843
'89 Miata 1.6 +56.426
'89 Miata 1.6 +58.747

Fastest lap I was really impressed with, a 1'44.775, and considering I was lapping mostly in the 1'46 arena, I think that when I attempt this tomorrow morning, sober-er but with a sore-head :ouch: I'll be able to pull off a win, as there's got to be 11s to be made up over 40 laps somewhere!!! That'll be the cheapest run yet!!! 0 Cr to enter! Nothing for the car 'cos its a prizecar and nothing for oil or tyres as it's running absolutely out-of the-box stock!

Back