REV Magazine Official Thread - September issue in the works!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 18 comments

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
header.png

menu_left.png
menu_right.png

(Click above to transport to specific sub-sections)

Hello, and welcome to the official REV Magazine thread at GTPlanet. Who are we? A group of enthusiastic people aiming to bring you the best the sim racing world has to offer, from numerous titles! We don't simply regurgitate boring numbers and deal with the sobering details of which cars are best for whichever in-game series; in the mould of fine publications like CAR or Evo, we aim to detail the harder-to-pin essence of driving entertainment. It's not so much about the lap times (though those will occasionally factor in), it's about the journey. Paired off with some lush photography, of course.

However, we're looking to expand, and include the community in future issues. Issue 02 is currently being compiled (slowly), and we'd love to have some experienced members contribute. This thread aims to accomplish that... as well as maybe leak a few tidbits out over the course of the run-up to new issues :P

"Quality is of the utmost importance. We want this to feel like a genuine publication, and not something just thrown together; we're all passionate about cars, right? Well here's your chance to show it!"
-Michael Bernhardt

That right there sums up our vision, folks. If you're unsure, feel free to Private Message either Terronium-12 or I (SlipZtrEm) with any work-in-progresses. Some light editing will happen for mostly all submitted articles, though that will typically only be to fix any possible spelling/grammar mistakes, and ensure the story fits in the templates.

Thanks for reading this far. Now, on to the fun stuff!

section_01_staff.png

Below is a list of our current roster of contributing members. You'll find the "pen names" followed by the real (user)names: we encourage folks to avoid using PSN/gaming names, though if you're feeling apprehensive about using your real name, make one up!

• Nick Campbell - Editor-In-Chief - SlipZtrEm
  • James Barker - Senior Road Tester - SlipZtrEm
  • Jason Kitman - Contributing Photographer - SlipZtrEm
  • Michael Bernhardt - Contributing Editor - Terronium-12
  • Bryan Johnson - Contributing Photographer - Terronium-12
  • GT-R - Guest Road Tester - GT-R

section_02_library.png

Looking for past issues? They're all here... though it's kind of lonely right now. There are currently two options: GTP (via my gallery, SlipShots, hosted by Flickr), and Issuu. Both options appear below the issue's cover.

issue_01.png

+
Issue 01 - June 2012
36 Pages

section_03_templates.png

Ah, this is where the fun starts. To encourage an easy process from story to finished product, I've been saving all current templates' important info to speed up the submission step. Word counts and image counts, along with dimensions, are available right here, respectively.

Want To Contribute?
Story? Send along your choices for which templates you'd like to have represent it via PM. Single car review, new-ish (still sold essentially the same in real life)? We recommend Revolutions. Have an interesting twist, an epic journey or tour of circuits, maybe even some key rivals? Get that story a Features layout!

Photos? If you're submitting along with a story, make sure there's at least enough images to cover each template. For the images that cover the majority of a page, be mindful of the text: try to get a large portion of either very light or very dark colour where the text will go to avoid issues. It doesn't have to be perfect: we have some ways to massage these things. If you're submitting just photos (for someone else's story), make sure of the above, and let us know which story it's for! As for editing: feel free to edit your shots before you submit, or if requested, we can always provide some of our house editing actions for the final product.

Revolutions Templates

template_revolutions_01.jpg

Revolutions 01
Word Count: 360 / 480 / 600 / 720
Image Count: 1
Image Size(s): 4960 x 3508
Suitable for 3 or 4 total page review. Optional columns to fit word count.

template_revolutions_02.jpg

Revolutions 02
Word Count: 420
Image Count: 5
Image Size(s): 4842 x 3390 / 298 x 726 / 982 x 502 / 640 x 288 / 985 x 1037
Suitable for second portion of a four-page spread.

template_revolutions_03.jpg

Revolutions 03
Word Count: 500
Image Count: 3
Image Size(s): 4842 x 2154 / 298 x 396 / 1672 x 1189
Suitable for 3 or 4 total page review.

template_revolutions_04.jpg

Revolutions 04
Word Count: 290 & 540
Image Count: 3 & 4
Image Size(s): 2359 x 3390 / 985 x 542 / 640 x 332 & 2418 x 977 / 985 x 443 / 298 x 397 / 640 x 1631
A split spread meant to end a three-page review and cover a single-page, or start a new three page.

Features Templates

template_feature_00.jpg

Features Title Page
Word Count: N/A
Every feature needs a title page! Title and short description can be placed wherever needed. We'll create those if you don't want to!

template_feature_01.jpg

Features 01
Word Count: 870
Image Count: 4
Image Size(s): 401 x 754 / 401 x 754 / 2790 x 1971 / 2359 x 1372
An opening spread for any length of feature. Expect a variation soon that uses the extra white space for more text, to become a middle spread.

template_feature_02.jpg

Features 02
Word Count: 780
Image Count: 2
Image Size(s): 4960 x 3508 / 985 x 1693
Middle spread applicable!

template_feature_03.jpg

Features 03
Word Count: 330
Image Size(s): 2359 x 1417 / 640 x 661 / 640 x 661 / 2359 x 3390
An article ender, this!

template_feature_04.jpg

Features 04
Word Count: 590
Image Size(s): 985 x 1707 / 3810 x 1707 / 2091 x 795 / 2091 x 795
An opening spread for any length of feature. Expect a variation soon that uses the extra white space for more text, to become a middle spread.

template_feature_05.jpg

Features 05
Word Count: 850
Image Count: 3
Image Size(s): 985 x 411 / 298 x 1112 / 2480 x 3508
An article ender, this!

template_feature_06.jpg

Features 06
Word Count: 1120
Image Count: 7
Image Size(s): 2359 x 1240 / 755 x 670 / 354 x 669 / 755 x 670 / 2359 x 1240 / 755 x 1028 / 755 x 1028
A meaty, 1k-plus lead spread, perfect for a comparo.

template_feature_07.jpg

Features 07
Word Count: 590
Image Count: 9
Image Size(s): 1156 x 808 / 1156 x 816 / 1156 x 816 / 1156 x 808 / 1156 x 3390 / 1327 x 808 / 298 x 808 / 640 x 808 / 2359 x 808
An image-intensive layout, great for giving the reader views of your epic journey.

template_feature_08.jpg

Features 08
Word Count: 560 / 860 / 710
An article ender available with 1 or 2 Statboxes (560 WC), 3 (860 WC), or even 4 (710). Great for comparos!

section_04_news.png

Here you'll find all relevant news regarding REV Magazine. We'll document article submissions (only the author/photographer's name and confirmation of delivery), upcoming community events, and as mentioned before, drop morsels of upcoming issues. You won't want to miss it!

08.12.13 - Thread created! September's 02 Issue is shaping up to be even bigger than our first, with reviews of some of the year's biggest new guns like the Mercedes C63 AMG Black, XKR-S, the new M5, and... a Cygnet?! We also explore Carroll Shelby's legacy, and sneak in on a meeting of the Bosses...

Last edited:
Awesome. :D

I'll probably send some reviews on to you. Do they have to be recent cars or can they be any car?

SVX

I'll probably send some reviews on to you. Do they have to be recent cars or can they be any car?

Any car that hasn't been reviewed already, nor one that we've already snagged for ourselves. :P

SVX

Like T12 said, it can be any, though we try to keep relatively older metal out of Revolutions, that doesn't stop them from having a Feature 👍. GT5's relative lack of DLC means the Revolutions shorter reviews tend to work better for FM4 cars so far, but there's definitely a good chunk of suitable cars in GT5 that work great.

And I'll go one step further over what T12 said about cars we've already snagged - they're a no go for Revolutions, but again, a Feature story could definitely shine a spotlight on a car we've already visited, perhaps in a new light. We reviewed the 86 in the last article, but it hasn't gone on a long drive, or met it's rivals yet, as an example...

:D

Again, I simply love this idea.
And yes, I would give a LOT to be a part of the team. ^^

The great thing is, you don't have to give anything, other than some writing and/or photography. From you, I wouldn't mind either :cheers:

This looks pretty cool, I'd love to contribute! Can I submit photos without an article? (will there be a section featuring the photomode features of sim games?)

How does an exclusive episode of Stock -vs- Tuned sound? This and GTLife are awesome..
A Little competition is always ways to make things better.

The great thing is, you don't have to give anything, other than some writing and/or photography. From you, I wouldn't mind either :cheers:

So, do you still have a spot to fill?
I would love to feature something like a history of particular model, or even a Nürburgring Special (First Round, etc.)

This is looking brilliant! Fantastic idea! 👍

Just an idea - have you ever thought of including a 'letter' section, maybe? Much like in other magazines such as FastFord for example, you can send in some information about your car and a picture, and it can be featured in the next issue. I don't mean, one big feature, I mean a few set pages with cars belonging to readers. How about, 'Readers' Rides'? :lol:

That's just a suggestion though, you don't have to include it. Even if you do like the idea, I'm not necessarily saying you should include it right away, obviously it'd be more popular with a bigger audience.

This looks pretty cool, I'd love to contribute! Can I submit photos without an article? (will there be a section featuring the photomode features of sim games?)

Section? The entire magazine is an excuse to showcase the Photomode features :P

You can, though it'd be preferable to have an article paired off with it. You don't necessarily have to write the article though: float the idea of your photo shoot in here and see if someone would like to write something to accompany it 👍

I may even be able to take it on, so long as it's relatively short :)

How does an exclusive episode of Stock -vs- Tuned sound? This and GTLife are awesome..
A Little competition is always ways to make things better.

Heh, I didn't want to step on any toes with this, but it's actually grown from an idea a few friends and I created back in GT2 days: it was called GTGarage back then, and basically mimicked Sport Compact Car. We've got The Hangar for that in Rev, now, though.

We'd be honoured to include SvT, Mitch :cheers:

So, do you still have a spot to fill?
I would love to feature something like a history of particular model, or even a Nürburgring Special (First Round, etc.)

Absolutely! Currently, I can't see a limit on spots, the more the merrier! Both of those sound great, so feel free to flesh out the idea and post it here or PM me, whichever you prefer. I'm looking forward to it 👍

This is looking good, SlipZ. Expect a private message from me. ;)

Excellent :cheers:

Looks really good 👍

Thanks Mac!

This is looking brilliant! Fantastic idea! 👍

Just an idea - have you ever thought of including a 'letter' section, maybe? Much like in other magazines such as FastFord for example, you can send in some information about your car and a picture, and it can be featured in the next issue. I don't mean, one big feature, I mean a few set pages with cars belonging to readers. How about, 'Readers' Rides'? :lol:

That's just a suggestion though, you don't have to include it. Even if you do like the idea, I'm not necessarily saying you should include it right away, obviously it'd be more popular with a bigger audience.

A Readers' Rides section is definitely something we've thought of, but currently just haven't had the time to implement it. It's unlikely I'll be able to cram it in for September, but I do want to explore it for Issue 03, which hopefully won't have such a gap between it and the previous issue like this one did: I'll be back to normal work weeks, not 60+ hours!

A few small teasers today: one of the toys taking part in The Hangar's second portion of the Tsukuba round-up:

teaser_01.jpg

...and something else was just dropped off at magazine HQ this morning :D

teaser_02.jpg

MOTORTRENDmitch
The Boss 302 Laguna Seca picture is amazing.. We'll be sure to get an episode put together for you :)

We'll use the Boss in GT5 right Mitch? Oh wait...

Section? The entire magazine is an excuse to showcase the Photomode features :P

You can, though it'd be preferable to have an article paired off with it. You don't necessarily have to write the article though: float the idea of your photo shoot in here and see if someone would like to write something to accompany it 👍

I may even be able to take it on, so long as it's relatively short :)

I'll try to write something then, just be warned that I tend to take a long time with that sort of thing. We'll see. I would be honoured to contribute anything, I just feel like my writing is a bit weak after looking through the currrent issue.

A Readers' Rides section is definitely something we've thought of, but currently just haven't had the time to implement it. It's unlikely I'll be able to cram it in for September, but I do want to explore it for Issue 03, which hopefully won't have such a gap between it and the previous issue like this one did: I'll be back to normal work weeks, not 60+ hours

Cool! My review writing skills aren't the best, as I easily get writers block with things like that, but I'll be happy to contribute to that section. :)

If anyone needs a photographer, shoot me a PM! I could do with dusting off my GT5 camera...

Heh, I didn't want to step on any toes with this, but it's actually grown from an idea a few friends and I created back in GT2 days: it was called GTGarage back then, and basically mimicked Sport Compact Car.

Awesome :)
We are doing some testing right now 👍
Going to be the best episode yet..

Back