'Danlow' Drift Academy!

• Thread starter Bodyguard
  • 61 comments
United Kingdom
London
xX-nilo-Xx
Hello drifting fans!​

I am 'Nilo' and I have recently found many people who have not yet mastered the art of drifting. I am here to solve that. If you do not know how to drift, or are not sure of your drifting style, or need any help related to drifting, please contact me either via PM or by replying to this thread.

I am coming up to 2 years of pure GT5 drifting, thus I have the experience required to teach you. I have also taught others to drift, so I can analyse your strengths and weaknesses faster due to that. This also means that I will be patient and understanding with you.

I can teach you each style of drifting, which you can then implement on your cars. I will be able to teach you the Feint (or Scandinavian Flick), the E-Brake drift as well as different entry styles, such as reverse entries, 360 entries and plain old 90 degree entries. You name it, I'll teach it.

In addition to that, I am an addictive tuner, meaning that I love to tune cars. I spend at least 1 hour tuning each car that I decide to drift, so I know how to make your car more... user-friendly and suited to your drifting style. I can also offer you tunes for your specific car and even teach you to tune!

So, feel free to leave a comment explaining your issues, cars you've tried drifting and what drifting manoeuvre you would like to perform. I will then reply to your comment with either: helpful tips, a tune for that specific car or an invitation for a 1 on 1 session to teach you how to drift.

Cheers, Nilo.

Last edited:
You use a ds3 & not a wheel ?

Yup. I am in favour of DS3 drifting, despite owning a Logitech G27. I find controller drifting more aggressive and overall better; that is just my opinion, though.
I can drift with a wheel, so I can provide assistance there, too.

Hi bodyguard when I try to drift low horsepower and high horsepower rear wheel drive cars I all ways end up spining round and facing the wrong way thus.meaning I can on drift 4 we cars with power ditrubution of 30 front 70 rear can you help me .

Last edited:
Hi bodyguard when I try to drift low horsepower and high horsepower rear wheel drive cars I all ways end up spining round and facing the wrong way thus.meaning I can on drift 4 we cars with power ditrubution of 30 front 70 rear can you help me .

Which way are you spinning out? Does your car turn away from the corner (snap) or turn into the corner (slip)?
Are you using a wheel or controller?
What cars have you tried?

The cars slip and turn into the corner I use a a normal controller not ds3 and have tried about 100 rwd cars

The cars slip and turn into the corner I use a a normal controller not ds3 and have tried about 100 rwd cars

There's multiple ways to go about fixing this problem:

1. Throttle control. Learn to accelerate when it is right, not when you are about to spin out.
2. Tuning. Stiffen the springs on the car you choose to drift, it will make the car less likely to slip and will be more friendly to acceleration.
3. Counter-steer. Rapidly change between directions to ensure your car doesn't slip.
4. Practice.

I advise you have a go at stiffening the springs, maybe lowering the car, and then be careful with your throttle. Feel free to ask any more questions and tell me where else you need help. Good luck!

Cheers, Nilo.

I wouldn't mind some help with drifting on a wheel.. normall is throttle control, well I can't explain it because the reason of sucking might varie :odd:

So, any chance of you going online and adding me?

I wouldn't mind some help with drifting on a wheel.. normall is throttle control, well I can't explain it because the reason of sucking might varie :odd:

So, any chance of you going online and adding me?

I can add you right now, but at the moment I'm playing a bit of Grid 2. I should come on to GT5 in a few hours, are you alright with that?

Hi Nilo, I recently got a g27 recently and i want to learn to drift with it, ive been practicing for an hr a day for the past couples days since Ive had it. Im only starting to want to understand tuning and how to drift "right". I been messing around with drifting only with the DS3 so far, but i want to learn the wheel. So if you have time can you help me out? Im currently running a Sileighty 98' :)

Drifting is something that I have had issues with.its abit ironic that even though I can't drift I have incredibly difficult drifting challenges.my first one on a custom track I made called nightmare.I let 100 people try drifting it and only 4 did it.which equates to a 4% success or 96% failure rate.my latest has had 12 attempts and 1 success.I want to be able to drift my own tracks

Hi Nilo, I recently got a g27 recently and i want to learn to drift with it, ive been practicing for an hr a day for the past couples days since Ive had it. Im only starting to want to understand tuning and how to drift "right". I been messing around with drifting only with the DS3 so far, but i want to learn the wheel. So if you have time can you help me out? Im currently running a Sileighty 98' :)

Drifting on a wheel is always harder than on a controller, so keep that in mind; you may want to learn to drift on a controller first.
But, assuming that you still want to drift with a wheel first, here's my tips:

1. This will take a lot of time. It took me about 2 months to learn how to drift with a G27, and I spent more than 1 hour a day. Some people learn faster than others, but understand that there is a massive learning curve to it.
2. Tuning can and will make it easier to learn to drift. I didn't try tuning my cars when I was learning the G27, which was a massive mistake. After some more practice runs, tell me what you don't like about your car and I will suggest tunes to fix those issues.
3. The Sileighty is an amazing car to start drifting with. It has a surprisingly oversteery rear end and it makes great use of its power, however it can keep in control when needed. I advise you continue using that car.

I am quite sleep deprived at this point in time, so I apologise if I have not covered all you expected. Please leave a reply with your issues (too much oversteer, etc.) and any other info and I will get back to you ASAP.
Cheers, Nilo.

Drifting is something that I have had issues with.its abit ironic that even though I can't drift I have incredibly difficult drifting challenges.my first one on a custom track I made called nightmare.I let 100 people try drifting it and only 4 did it.which equates to a 4% success or 96% failure rate.my latest has had 12 attempts and 1 success.I want to be able to drift my own tracks

You don't mention whether you want to learn to drift with a DS3 or wheel, so please leave a reply with your choice when possible. I would also recommend you to not drift your own tracks until you can successfully drift 2 laps of Tsukuba without spinning out.

I noticed that most of your post talked about your tracks; have you considered starting a GTP Thread about your tracks? You could have people download your tracks and play them, after which they would post their times, spins and thoughts. Just an idea...

Cheers, Nilo.

Drifting on a wheel is always harder than on a controller, so keep that in mind; you may want to learn to drift on a controller first.

1. This will take a lot of time. It took me about 2 months to learn how to drift with a G27, and I spent more than 1 hour a day. Some people learn faster than others, but understand that there is a massive learning curve to it.
2. Tuning can and will make it easier to learn to drift. I didn't try tuning my cars when I was learning the G27, which was a massive mistake. After some more practice runs, tell me what you don't like about your car and I will suggest tunes to fix those issues.
3. The Sileighty is an amazing car to start drifting with. It has a surprisingly oversteery rear end and it makes great use of its power, however it can keep in control when needed. I advise you continue using that car.

I am quite sleep deprived at this point in time, so I apologise if I have not covered all you expected. Please leave a reply with your issues (too much oversteer, etc.) and any other info and I will get back to you ASAP.
Cheers, Nilo.

Ok I will do that thx for the tips so far.👍

Cheers, Nilo.

Ive been using the sileighty and I've notice a couple problems:
1. sometimes i get a good entry but it doesnt follow through, it slides right out of the corner.
2. Good entry, but the butt of the car swings back and runs into the wall
3. The butt of the car doesnt swing out at all.

My settings are:
Suspension
-----------
Ride Height: -23/-23
Spring Rate: 13.0/13.5
Dampers Extension: 7/7
Dampers Compression: 7/7
Anti Roll: 1/1
Camber: 3.0/1.0
Toe Angle: 0/0

Brakes: 5/5

LSD settings
------------
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 15
Braking Sensitivity:5

Using Comfort Hard front and back

1. sometimes i get a good entry but it doesnt follow through, it slides right out of the corner.

My settings are:
Suspension
-----------

LSD settings
------------

Very stiff setup for so little tire grip. In order to hook up where you want, you need to allow for some roll in the springs and dampers. Toe is dead on the low end, most I know in game and real life shoot for a quarter inch out (-0.25) in front and a hair less toe in (0.20) in back to help with that initial purchase on entry and to stabilize the tail. That LSD probably favors a one-wheel peel and should be closer to or completely locked. For braking (assuming you run without ABS because I feel everyone should) you should kill the front and run 5-7 rear to start and get closer to 10 as you get better at depressing it.

Seems like a good break point. Watch real drifting and take note of the cars' rears hunkering down on transition and corner exit, allowing the weight to transfer will increase your grip and reduce the chances of the car sliding out completely. I have had more success using these guidelines than any others since I started sim drifting.

Very stiff setup for so little tire grip. In order to hook up where you want, you need to allow for some roll in the springs and dampers. Toe is dead on the low end, most I know in game and real life shoot for a quarter inch out (-0.25) in front and a hair less toe in (0.20) in back to help with that initial purchase on entry and to stabilize the tail. That LSD probably favors a one-wheel peel and should be closer to or completely locked. For braking (assuming you run without ABS because I feel everyone should) you should kill the front and run 5-7 rear to start and get closer to 10 as you get better at depressing it.

Seems like a good break point. Watch real drifting and take note of the cars' rears hunkering down on transition and corner exit, allowing the weight to transfer will increase your grip and reduce the chances of the car sliding out completely. I have had more success using these guidelines than any others since I started sim drifting.

I use a soft front, and extremely hard rear suspension setup. The harder the suspension, the less body roll there is. With less body roll, you get a better distribution of grip as well.

All this guy needs to learn is how his car 'feels'. Nothing more. :)

Plus, for a SilEighty I can give him one more tip: LOCK THAT DIFF! I don't get it why people don't do it, it's the most logical thing to do in a drift car.

Change your LSD to: 5 ini Torque, 60 accel, 60 decel.

Yo just wondering what you think of the elise111R as a drifter? Warning you in advance that its my favorite car, so dont be mean! :)

Yo just wondering what you think of the elise111R as a drifter? Warning you in advance that its my favorite car, so dont be mean! :)

I am a massive Lotus fan, so be assured that I won't be mean.
The Elise is a brilliant car, in my opinion; it is light, good-looking, sporty and cheap! However do I think it is a good drift car? No. I have an Elise drift tune (which can be released if you ask for it here) and although it works decently, I wouldn't say it is very good. However, saying that, I love powerful cars when drifting, so the Elise may just be out of my comfort zone.
With a good tune, any car can be drifted.
Cheers, Nilo.

My settings are:
Suspension
-----------

LSD settings
------------

It sounds like you lack experience. How long have you been drifting the Sileighty? That's what happened to me when I first started drifting with a wheel; you get over that once you get to know your car and wheel better. This process can and will take a long time, so be wary of that. Tuning is here to help, though!
It sounds like you are being very frantic on the wheel, so here is a quick tune to help you balance that out:
Suspension
-----------
Ride Height: -10/-10
Spring Rate: 9.0/9.0
Dampers Extension: 5/5
Dampers Compression: 5/5
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe Angle: 0/0.10

LSD settings
------------

Comfort Hards

Applying this tune will make your car have less grip, making it easier to initiate drifts as well as finish them. I didn't touch the LSD, but experiment with Gonales' settings: "5 IT, 60 AS, 60 BS".
If you are still really struggling, try lowering the top speed. Doing so will give you shorter, thus more manageable, gears (this will stop you slipping). On contrary, if your car is snapping too much, raise the top speed.
Cheers, Nilo.

It sounds like you lack experience. How long have you been drifting the Sileighty? That's what happened to me when I first started drifting with a wheel; you get over that once you get to know your car and wheel better. This process can and will take a long time, so be wary of that. Tuning is here to help, though!
It sounds like you are being very frantic on the wheel, so here is a quick tune to help you balance that out:
Suspension
-----------
Ride Height: -10/-10
Spring Rate: 9.0/9.0
Dampers Extension: 5/5
Dampers Compression: 5/5
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe Angle: 0/0.10

LSD settings
------------

Comfort Hards

Applying this tune will make your car have less grip, making it easier to initiate drifts as well as finish them. I didn't touch the LSD, but experiment with Gonales' settings: "5 IT, 60 AS, 60 BS".
If you are still really struggling, try lowering the top speed. Doing so will give you shorter, thus more manageable, gears (this will stop you slipping). On contrary, if your car is snapping too much, raise the top speed.
Cheers, Nilo.

I'll try that later today after work, but I'm also convinced my driving technique is the problem too. I cant seem the carry what I know from the DS3 over to the wheel too well. If you have time can you come watch at how I handle the corners sometime?

I locked up my differential with the settings:
Initial Torque: 60
Acceleration: 60
Braking: 5

I'll go into the details into the new settings I have for the car I was using last night, it felt more responsive .

Im currently using the feint and shift lock drift technique.

Last edited:
I'll try that later today after work, but I'm also convinced my driving technique is the problem too. I cant seem the carry what I know from the DS3 over to the wheel too well. If you have time can you come watch at how I handle the corners sometime?

I locked up my differential with the settings:
Initial Torque: 60
Acceleration: 60
Braking: 5

I'll go into the details into the new settings I have for the car I was using last night, it felt more responsive .

Im currently using the feint and shift lock drift technique.

Great, have a go at that and tell me what you think. Also, don't forget to mess around with the transmission, as that will greatly increase your tuning knowledge as well as your car's ability to drift.
I don't suppose you have a modded E-brake? Stock wheels don't come with an E-brake, so many people modify their gear shifters to work as E-brakes, or just buy E-brakes and attach them to their wheels. If you plan on seriously drifting with a wheel, consider modding an E-brake. For now, though, the feint will more than suffice.
Give me your opinions on the car after my quick modifications and I will decide on whether you need a 1-on-1 session with me. Your issues seem to be mostly a lack of experience, so I can't help you any more on a 1-on-1 session than I can on this thread.
Cheers, Nilo.

Okay, I will try not to be mean... Sell it. ;)

If that means that you think its bad, then i have to disagree (although i am using a tune!) the thing about it is its very easy to get into a slide because of its insane handling. i agree, stock its the most annoying thing ever, but with a good drifting tune...

You don't mention whether you want to learn to drift with a DS3 or wheel, so please leave a reply with your choice when possible. I would also recommend you to not drift your own tracks until you can successfully drift 2 laps of Tsukuba without spinning out.

I noticed that most of your post talked about your tracks; have you considered starting a GTP Thread about your tracks? You could have people download your tracks and play them, after which they would post their times, spins and thoughts. Just an idea...

Cheers, Nilo.

Ds3? I only use the contoller.ihave posted track threads but no one seems interested

I've been trying to drift with my DS3 and the sensitivity is way too high and I fail to countersteer. When I try to countersteer it just turns the wheel all the way and I spin out. The max it goes down to is -2, which is still extremely hard to countersteer with. Help please?

hey body gaurd whats up man? hows life? lol new to the drifting scene tried a while back horrible at just started trying it again and for some reason im alot better any way we can meet up in a lobby?

Venny_
I've been trying to drift with my DS3 and the sensitivity is way too high and I fail to countersteer. When I try to countersteer it just turns the wheel all the way and I spin out. The max it goes down to is -2, which is still extremely hard to countersteer with. Help please?

It will take time and patience.

Use a stock FC and go to indy road course. Find the S section and practice there. The track is flat so all you have to focus on is throttle control and transitioning.

Check my team website as I have posted a tutorial there that should help you a bit more!

Good luck! 👍

It will take time and patience.

Use a stock FC and go to indy road course. Find the S section and practice there. The track is flat so all you have to focus on is throttle control and transitioning.

Check my team website as I have posted a tutorial there that should help you a bit more!

Good luck! 👍

whats your team website? would like to check those tutorials out

Back