'Danlow' Drift Academy!

• Thread starter Bodyguard
  • 61 comments
I've been trying to drift with my DS3 and the sensitivity is way too high and I fail to countersteer. When I try to countersteer it just turns the wheel all the way and I spin out. The max it goes down to is -2, which is still extremely hard to countersteer with. Help please?

Hello Venny,
let me firstly apologise for my late response; I wasn't getting any posts on my control panel.
Anyway, I learned to drift on a DS3, without changing the settings, so I am not sure as to how your cars will feel with the changes you have made. Your problem seems to be a mixture of both your drifting style and car choice. You don't specify which car you have been trying to drift with, but this tune may interest you. Just a thought.
Please leave a post describing your experiences with both Team Nemesis' website and my tune, I would like to see how else I can help you.
Cheers, Nilo.

Ds3? I only use the contoller.ihave posted track threads but no one seems interested

Hello Ivan,
the DS3 is the DualShock3, or your average PS3 controller. You mention very little about your cars, drifting style, where you're having problems, etc; please leave a detailed post specifying all of the above.

From what I know, I can't help you very much. What I can do, though, is give you the basics for drifting on a DS3. Here's what I do to keep a drift going with a DS3:

1. Turn into the corner (how much you turn completely depends on your car). You may need to use the handbrake or 'feint' technique.
2. Begin tapping slightly at the left joystick in the opposite direction to the corner.
3. Now the drift properly commences. Continue to lightly tap at the left joystick to simulate a smooth turn of the wheel (large taps will make your car behave uncontrollably and look twitchy). Continue doing this and ensuring that you have a smooth line through the corner (you may need to adjust your throttle to stop yourself from spinning or going off the track).
4. Now exit the corner. Do this by gently taking your finger off the throttle and solely controlling your car via steering. Use this technique to make your car grip up and smoothly drive out of the corner.

Those are the basics. You will not achieve that on the first try, as drifting requires a lot of practice, however keep trying and you'll get better. I advise you to stay on the same track throughout the entire time that you are learning to drift (I recommend Tsukuba), so as to make it easier on you.
You can remember the above technique by thinking of a simple phrase: "Initiate, Control, Smooth, Exit".
Initiate - Begin the drift by turning.
Control - Gain control of your car after the sudden sharp turn (Initiation).
Smooth - Continue holding that control in a smooth manner.
Exit - Slow your car down to end the drift.

hey body gaurd whats up man? hows life? lol new to the drifting scene tried a while back horrible at just started trying it again and for some reason im alot better any way we can meet up in a lobby?

Hello Juve,
I can meet you in a friendly drift lobby whenever I am drifting on GT5, that is no problem. If you would like a 1-on-1 session where I teach you how to drift, though, you will have to describe your current situation. Many issues related to drifting can be fixed by either practice or verbal consultation (me telling you what to do to improve). So please leave a post describing the cars you've tried with, the issues you've had with them, the tracks you've tried on, how long you've been drifting for, DS3 or wheel or perhaps even write your settings for a particular drift car that you have been using. I will reply once I see the post with this information.
Cheers, Nilo.

Wow, this seems helpful. I just need some help tuning cause I can't tune for 🤬. I normally just slap a random suspension tune on the car & go to town.

Ive been using the sileighty and I've notice a couple problems:
1. sometimes i get a good entry but it doesnt follow through, it slides right out of the corner.
2. Good entry, but the butt of the car swings back and runs into the wall
3. The butt of the car doesnt swing out at all.

My settings are:
Suspension
-----------
Ride Height: -23/-23
Spring Rate: 13.0/13.5
Dampers Extension: 7/7
Dampers Compression: 7/7
Anti Roll: 1/1
Camber: 3.0/1.0
Toe Angle: 0/0

Brakes: 5/5

LSD settings
------------
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 15
Braking Sensitivity:5

Using Comfort Hard front and back

i use G27

Suspension
-----------
Ride Height: -23/-25
Spring Rate: 8.0/6.5
Dampers Extension: 6/6
Dampers Compression: 5/4
Anti Roll: 4/3
Camber: 3.2/0
Toe Angle: -0.30/0

Brakes: 1/3
ABS:embarrassed:FF

LSD settings
------------
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 60
Braking Sensitivity:60

mid range Turbo

Last edited:
Hello Juve,
I can meet you in a friendly drift lobby whenever I am drifting on GT5, that is no problem. If you would like a 1-on-1 session where I teach you how to drift, though, you will have to describe your current situation. Many issues related to drifting can be fixed by either practice or verbal consultation (me telling you what to do to improve). So please leave a post describing the cars you've tried with, the issues you've had with them, the tracks you've tried on, how long you've been drifting for, DS3 or wheel or perhaps even write your settings for a particular drift car that you have been using. I will reply once I see the post with this information.
Cheers, Nilo.

i use the DS3 i have a wheel but its a crappy gamestop 1 lol i use the Silvia S15 RX 7 and Camaro ss 10 ive had GT for awhile now tried drifting before couldnt do it to save my life figured id give it another go and leaps and bounds better for some odd reason lol ive been drifting for about a week now its hard to pin point what my strengths and weaknesses are so just let me know when youll be on ill add you on PSN my ID is Infidel1105

Wow, this seems helpful. I just need some help tuning cause I can't tune for 🤬. I normally just slap a random suspension tune on the car & go to town.

That's fine, I'm more than happy to help :)
What issues do you have with your existing "random" tunes? Snap or slip problems?

EDIT: This post didn't feel very helpful, so I decided to add a bit more to it. I assume that your tunes make your drifting twitchy and maybe even grippy, so try softer setups. Try to slightly lower your car, while making the spring rate much softer, maybe even equal to the rear spring rate.
This is all basic tuning for a generic drift car, I am not saying that it will answer your prayers xD

Last edited:
i use the DS3 i have a wheel but its a crappy gamestop 1 lol i use the Silvia S15 RX 7 and Camaro ss 10 ive had GT for awhile now tried drifting before couldnt do it to save my life figured id give it another go and leaps and bounds better for some odd reason lol ive been drifting for about a week now its hard to pin point what my strengths and weaknesses are so just let me know when youll be on ill add you on PSN my ID is Infidel1105

Hello again Juve,
can you please outline your issues with drifting? You say that you need help learning how to drift, but I am not sure where you're going wrong. Describe to me what your car does when you enter a corner; does it snap (turn away from corner) or slip (spin out)? Do you often find yourself in the grass and at which part of the drift does that happen (when you initiate, countersteer, etc)?
Cheers, Nilo.

Hello again Juve,
can you please outline your issues with drifting? You say that you need help learning how to drift, but I am not sure where you're going wrong. Describe to me what your car does when you enter a corner; does it snap (turn away from corner) or slip (spin out)? Do you often find yourself in the grass and at which part of the drift does that happen (when you initiate, countersteer, etc)?
Cheers, Nilo.

sorry for the lack of detail i usually end up on the grass after the corner i relize sometimes i go into a corner to step or fast counter idk its hard for me to explain sorry for being so vague but i usually spin out after the first corner going into the second or third and i have trouble keeping up pace i think id be better off showing you

Hi bodyguard, I need a tune for the Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 that is easy to control. I am a beginner drifter, I use a DS3 and Driving Force GT In which I really want to learn how to use in drifting. I also need some tips because I suck at drifting generally, I spin out when I try to counter-steer. Most likely because I don't have good tunes, and I dont know how to tune. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks. P.S. I have the RX-7 TC, Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07, Roadster TC, And the Toyota 86 GT '12 If needed.

Last edited:
sorry for the lack of detail i usually end up on the grass after the corner i relize sometimes i go into a corner to step or fast counter idk its hard for me to explain sorry for being so vague but i usually spin out after the first corner going into the second or third and i have trouble keeping up pace i think id be better off showing you

Hey Juve,
your problem seems to be in the transitioning (going from corner to corner). I am not sure as to whether you are trying to drift each corner in a single smoke trail or if you are gripping up after each corner. I would advise you to grip up after every corner, at least until you get the hang of drifting.
Transitioning can be a very difficult part of drifting, as it requires a good understanding of weight transfer and your car in general; push it too hard and your car will snap. If you really can't resist drifting two corners without ending the drift, I would advise you to be careful with the throttle. Throttle control is perhaps the most important part of drifting, so be careful with how much you apply. Try easing in and out of corners for the next week or so, after which I can open a private lobby and see how you are progressing.
Cheers, Nilo.

Hi bodyguard, I need a tune for the Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 that is easy to control. I am a beginner drifter, I use a DS3 and Driving Force GT In which I really want to learn how to use in drifting. I also need some tips because I suck at drifting generally, I spin out when I try to counter-steer. Most likely because I don't have good tunes, and I dont know how to tune. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks. P.S. I have the RX-7 TC, Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07, Roadster TC, And the Toyota 86 GT '12 If needed.

Hey Ninja,
I'll gladly make a tune for you, as long as you request it at my tuning thread. This thread is all about advice to new drifters, not tunes. Please leave a post on the linked thread and I will get right on making a tune.
Cheers, Nilo.

hey Nilo, do you have a tune for the Blitz Skyline or the Toyota Altezza Touring car? thanks man.

Hey Slidewayz,
I would definitely not recommend the Altezza TC for a drift car, however I can have a go at it if you want. I don't have enough free time to do both, though, so please choose one and leave a post here. The linked thread is my tuning thread, whereas this thread is dedicated to helping new drifters find their feet. I'll start making a tune for your desired car as soon as you post the request on the linked thread.
Cheers, Nilo.

Cheers for this thread. I've been having issues drifting with higher powered cars. I learned how on the GT86 but I can't seem to make the step up to an M3. I used the setup by shmo racing. I spin out far too often with the M3, so I was hoping you could post a drift tune setup for the car. I use the ebrake to drift and comfort hard tires. The biggest problem I have with my M3 is the gear ratio setup. Any tips on what I should do?

Cheers for this thread. I've been having issues drifting with higher powered cars. I learned how on the GT86 but I can't seem to make the step up to an M3. I used the setup by shmo racing. I spin out far too often with the M3, so I was hoping you could post a drift tune setup for the car. I use the ebrake to drift and comfort hard tires. The biggest problem I have with my M3 is the gear ratio setup. Any tips on what I should do?

Hey Billy.
It sounds like you know how to drift, but just can't seem to make the leap to more powerful cars. You don't mention whether you are on a wheel or DS3, however you need to know that Shmo's tunes are for the wheel. Also, Shmo is an experienced drifter who is used to such powerful machines, whereas you are still learning how to properly drift. Whether you use a DS3 or wheel, I advise you to just keep practicing (I would offer to make a tune for you, but my tunes usually have over 600bhp, which sounds like a bit much for you).
To speed up this process, I would recommend you to do one of the following:
1. Raise the spring rate
2. Lower camber
3. Lower ride height
4. Raise downforce
5. Add weight
All of these will give you more grip, which should stop you from spinning out as much. It will also make your car faster and more precise, which is never a bad thing.
Cheers, Nilo.

P.S. - I would like to hear how you are getting along, as I want to help you learn to drift any car. :)

Hey Bodyguard,
Thanks a ton, I'll try those tips out tonight for sure. I added stage 3 weight reduction on the M3 unfortunately, and I'm not too sure I can undo that. And I'm using the DS3 at the moment. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Currently using a 1375kg Pontiac GTO 5.7 with 538hp and 540ft-lbs, the maximum possible without upgrading the engine permanently. The car is reasonably planted to the tarmac but I can't get it to snap from one side to the other as fast as I would like and it reaches the point where it just doesn't want me to add more angle. It's not that it spins out as I try to ease the angle on, it just says no. The only way I can get it around farther is to do it from the start and then I can't keep the front of the car in front. Using a DS3 and can provide the tune I'm currently using if it helps to determine the problem.

Currently using a 1375kg Pontiac GTO 5.7 with 538hp and 540ft-lbs, the maximum possible without upgrading the engine permanently. The car is reasonably planted to the tarmac but I can't get it to snap from one side to the other as fast as I would like and it reaches the point where it just doesn't want me to add more angle. It's not that it spins out as I try to ease the angle on, it just says no. The only way I can get it around farther is to do it from the start and then I can't keep the front of the car in front. Using a DS3 and can provide the tune I'm currently using if it helps to determine the problem.

My guess is that your tune has a stiffer spring rate at the rear than the front, or perhaps it's higher at the rear or maybe even has a grippy LSD or transmission tune. The point is that the tune is definitely the problem here. Feel free to post your tune here, but it is not necessary.
It sounds like you have a problem with completing high-level drift manoeuvres, meaning that you are a good drifter who wants to get better. As I mentioned above, your tune is the problem; it is stopping you from making the most out of your car. If it was me, I would:

1. Lower toe on front and rear
2. Raise rear camber
3. Soften rear spring rate
4. Lower acceleration sensitivity
5. Raise the top speed of the car

Doing the above will definitely give you more angle to play with, but it may still not be enough. You mentioned that you didn't do any permanent modifications to the car, meaning that you haven't committed to drifting it. Your car is too heavy and lacks some power; it is a good drift car, but don't expect it to compete with the big boys. I advise you to try my above recommendations and see how you like the car. If it is still not enough, though, you should try reducing the weight and maybe adding some power.
If you get to the point where your car is maxed out but still not good enough, you either need a completely new tune (which can be made for you here) or you need to find a new car.
Cheers, Nilo.

In light of the advice given, I felt that I needed to provide the tune that I'm using.

Installed Parts:
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Dual-Plate Clutch
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension

Transmission
1st: 2.860
2nd: 2.210
3rd: 1.780
4th: 1.470
5th: 1.250
6th: 1.090
Final: 2.625
Top Speed: 206mph

All desired engine upgrades installed, transmission reset to default, final drive slider all the way right, top speed slider all the way left.

Suspension
-15 Ride Height -15
8.4 Spring Rate 5.8
1 Dampers (Extension) 1
4 Dampers (Compression) 4
1 Anti-Roll Bars 1
2.0 Camber (-) 1.0
-0.30 Toe 0.30

0 Brake Balance 6

LSD
0 Initial Torque 60
0 Acceleration Sensitivity 25
0 Braking Sensitivity 15

Comfort Hard/Comfort Hard
ABS: 0​

As you can see, the full weight reduction kit has been installed (stock weight is 1690kg). I have enough wheelspin as-is with the 538hp and 540ft-lbs of torque without installing permanent engine upgrades. It understeers heaps when it's not sideways and slides effortlessly, digging deep and slipping right up to the lead car's door, my only complaint is the rate of transition and the hesitance to increase angle. Frankly I have no interest in doing anything else but drift with it, it's far too heavy with too narrow a contact patch for competitive racing, and right now it's my sole drift car.

In light of the advice given, I felt that I needed to provide the tune that I'm using.

Installed Parts:
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Dual-Plate Clutch
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension

Transmission
1st: 2.860
2nd: 2.210
3rd: 1.780
4th: 1.470
5th: 1.250
6th: 1.090
Final: 2.625
Top Speed: 206mph

All desired engine upgrades installed, transmission reset to default, final drive slider all the way right, top speed slider all the way left.

Suspension
-15 Ride Height -15
8.4 Spring Rate 5.8
1 Dampers (Extension) 1
4 Dampers (Compression) 4
1 Anti-Roll Bars 1
2.0 Camber (-) 1.0
-0.30 Toe 0.30

0 Brake Balance 6

LSD
0 Initial Torque 60
0 Acceleration Sensitivity 25
0 Braking Sensitivity 15

Comfort Hard/Comfort Hard
ABS: 0​

As you can see, the full weight reduction kit has been installed (stock weight is 1690kg). I have enough wheelspin as-is with the 538hp and 540ft-lbs of torque without installing permanent engine upgrades. It understeers heaps when it's not sideways and slides effortlessly, digging deep and slipping right up to the lead car's door, my only complaint is the rate of transition and the hesitance to increase angle. Frankly I have no interest in doing anything else but drift with it, it's far too heavy with too narrow a contact patch for competitive racing, and right now it's my sole drift car.

From what I can see, your tune is very detailed and in general, quite good. There are, however, some problems with it. Your brake balance is perhaps the biggest problem in the tune; I've experimented with different brake balances on a Lexus IS-F and a brake balance as heavy on the rear as yours is will definitely kill almost all angle. When drifting, especially during tandems, you need to brake, and your brakes make you cancel the slide before it has even begun. The initiation of a drift shapes the rest of the slide, including transitions. Please try a 5/5 brake balance, after which you can make slight modifications so that it suits your driving style. I would recommend a brake balance which is a little stronger at the front than the rear, to promote angle on reverse entries.
Your suspension seems almost perfect; you have altered spring rate, dampers, etc to your advantage. You can get more angle out of your car by lowering rear toe, though, so experiment with that. Most of my drift cars have between -0.05 and -0.20 rear toe.
Next, your LSD. The tune you have put on it promotes grip, which reduces angle. I would advise you to reset it to the default values and decrease acceleration sensitivity; doing so should give you some more angle to play with. Another popular LSD suggestion is to set it to 5/60/60, which I have never tried.
Finally, your transmission. It seems that you have highly increased the top speed, which should make your car quite dull to drift. I can't give you a list of things to do here, because I don't know which track you like to drift on, but I highly recommend you to have a slightly longer third gear and a top speed of between 155-199mph. This should work for all tracks...
I hope I've helped, please leave a post explaining how your car drifts after altering the tune as I've advised. Thanks!
Cheers, Nilo.

Gradually decreased rear toe closer to neutral and then eventually out and it felt strange. As I got closer to matching my front setting, it felt "like a kid playing with a toy car, holding it between his index finger and thumb, right in the middle of the car's length and pivoting on that point." That's really the best way I can describe it. Maybe it's supposed to feel like the car is turning from the center of its mass, but it didn't feel right to me. People I was drifting with even commented that the car was weird. Going back to an "in" setting moved the pivot forward.
LSD adjustment helped, except as I got closer to lock I lost any turn-in I had. I landed on 25/45/20 and it gives me a little more slip.
Transmission doesn't leave the car feeling dull in the least bit. It has so much torque, I rarely get above 5000rpm, and the longer gears really let me claw my way to the lead car.
So thanks for the advice regarding resetting the LSD to default, I had it open from an earlier incarnation with less power and I guess I forgot to close it some as I increased power.
If you like, I can add you and put the car on share. It's hard to describe the amount of torque it has.

Gradually decreased rear toe closer to neutral and then eventually out and it felt strange. As I got closer to matching my front setting, it felt "like a kid playing with a toy car, holding it between his index finger and thumb, right in the middle of the car's length and pivoting on that point." That's really the best way I can describe it. Maybe it's supposed to feel like the car is turning from the center of its mass, but it didn't feel right to me. People I was drifting with even commented that the car was weird. Going back to an "in" setting moved the pivot forward.
LSD adjustment helped, except as I got closer to lock I lost any turn-in I had. I landed on 25/45/20 and it gives me a little more slip.
Transmission doesn't leave the car feeling dull in the least bit. It has so much torque, I rarely get above 5000rpm, and the longer gears really let me claw my way to the lead car.
So thanks for the advice regarding resetting the LSD to default, I had it open from an earlier incarnation with less power and I guess I forgot to close it some as I increased power.
If you like, I can add you and put the car on share. It's hard to describe the amount of torque it has.

Thanks for the detailed response, it was quite interesting to read.
I am not too familiar with the car, so I apologise if my transmission advice was wrong. I like a car to get to high revs quickly but also not max out, making it fun and angle-licious to drift. I just thought that a top speed of 205 (I think) was too much to allow quick rev changes.
I would like to try the car out, thank you; my PSN is xX-nilo-Xx and I'll give you my personal opinion of it as soon as I try it. I am currently away on holiday, though, so I won't be able to test the car until tuesday or wednesday.
Cheers, Nilo.

I've sent an FR and the car is up online. I've since dropped the front springs to 7.0 and the front damper compression to 3, and when coupled with mild brake pressure on the front (I can't put more on the front than the rear because the car just plows forward with no response to steering input), the car really snaps the way I want it to when I transition from left to right and vise versa. The only problem with that is I'm finding it necessary to push the rear toe even farther in to regain some stability and now I'm able to hold even less angle. That said, I prefer the quick transitions over deep angle, but a little more angle would be nice.

Last edited:
I've sent an FR and the car is up online. I've since dropped the front springs to 7.0 and the front damper compression to 3, and when coupled with mild brake pressure on the front (I can't put more on the front than the rear because the car just plows forward with no response to steering input), the car really snaps the way I want it to when I transition from left to right and vise versa. The only problem with that is I'm finding it necessary to push the rear toe even farther in to regain some stability and now I'm able to hold even less angle. That said, I prefer the quick transitions over deep angle, but a little more angle would be nice.

Sorry for the late response, I recently got back from my holiday. I've also been re-learning how to drift with a wheel. I should be able to test the GTO in the next few days ,though.

I tried borrowing it as I typed the above message, but I don't think you shared it. You need to set the car to online for me to borrow it. Please put it on share again so that I can test it, thank you :)
Cheers, Nilo.

Hey Nilo, I myself am also an experienced drifter, I've been drifting on and off since the release, always used a DS3. And I have found my own way around every problem that's arose to me, except one that has been occurring to me frequently just recently.. Especially in my high powered cars that are built for these tracks. Whenever I take them into a cambered corner, they just snap randomly in the middle of an ordinary drift, and I can't pinpoint the problem, just a couple of ideas or an explanation would be appreciated.

Hey Nilo, I myself am also an experienced drifter, I've been drifting on and off since the release, always used a DS3. And I have found my own way around every problem that's arose to me, except one that has been occurring to me frequently just recently.. Especially in my high powered cars that are built for these tracks. Whenever I take them into a cambered corner, they just snap randomly in the middle of an ordinary drift, and I can't pinpoint the problem, just a couple of ideas or an explanation would be appreciated.

It sounds like you're less experienced with these high-powered cars than your usual drift cars. My guess is that you're going easy in the throttle in fear of spinning out, which is why your car grips up and snaps. I would highly suggest you get more practice, but also try raising the car, softening it or lowering any aerodynamics you may have put on it. May I also ask what car you are using and what your LSD settings are?

Back