GTP Cool Wall: Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221)

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 38 comments

Mercedes S-Class (W221)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) nominated by moolett

2010_mercedes-benz_s-class_sedan_s400-hybrid_fq_oem_2_500.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 2006-2013
Style: 4-Door Sedan
Engine: 4 Diesels (201-316 HP), 5 Petrol (228-604 HP)
Transmission: 7-Speed Auto except for V12s, as they get 5-Speed Autos
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-Drive or AWD (4Matic)

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Aside from the AMG cars, it's merely an uninspiring German sedan, generally driven by people who believe they are better than God. Uncool

Uncool for me. Numbers look anice but at the end of the day it's still a sedan that blends in with the rest on the road. Nothing even remotely stands out for me.

It depends on which model of S class it is. If its an S63 or S65, instant subzero, but if not, meh. So I'm just going to vote in between and say cool.

Hideous, bulbous, too large and driven by snobs who believe that any traffic rules do not apply on them. Seriously uncool.

And here I was thinking that the S-Class was a pretty well respected vehicle in the car community. Seeing as I'm the only person to vote Sub Zero thus far, I should give some reasons. For a design that debuted in 2005, this is one fresh looking car. It looks modern, but it doesn't look too modern, which is to say it isn't trying to look like a coupe, which you can't say about the new one. But it's also nowhere close to the very traditional three box design the legendary W140 sported. It's a nice in-between, leaning towards the coupe-ish look but not stupidly so. It knows it's a sedan and it's alright with it. I haven't heard much about reliability, or more specifically the electronics, seeing as these were a major source of issues in the preceding W220. I'll assume this one'll hold up a bit better. The interior is one of my favorites of any car, period. It's got a swoopy, airy design that sends one message: space. Of course, it's plenty luxurious too, but the room is what strikes you first. It's a happy medium between the W220's too-conservative interior and the new W222's awful interior. The only thing I dislike is the steering wheel design; just doesn't look good. My top pick would be the ludicrous S65 AMG of course, but a 'regular' S550 (before the hybrid and diesel came along, this was the 'base' S-Class here) would do just fine. 380 horsepower with the old 5.5 liter N/A motor and 435 with the 4.7, nice. My personal pick would be a black '09 (last year of the nicer looking pre-facelift model) S550 with a beige interior. Throw in the facelift's taillights and a panoramic moonroof and it would be the perfect daily driver, gas mileage be damned.

It's a great car, until the airbags go out and you have to take out another mortgage to start fixing all the niggling problems.

-

But really, it's a nice car. Luxurious. Understated. Wide selection of engines.

But it doesn't really have a personality that stands out. This is nothing against the S-Class. I don't particularly have any feelings for the 7-series or the A8, either. Okay, maybe the RS8 is a bit of a gas, because it's so loopy... Amongst the modern full-sized set, only the XJ piques my interest, at all. And none of them are anywhere near as cool as classic full-sized luxury sedans.

Uncool. Sorry.

I think it's cool. I had a ride in an S350 CDI and for a big car it could shift a fair bit. The comfort and refinement are top notch in its class and the technology is bewildering: Infrared night vision, radar cruise control, crosswind detection, collision mitigation braking etc. The only downside is the rather plain looks but otherwise it's the best luxury car below a Rolls Royce.

One different point of view: Depends how old are you driving your own (paid) S-Class (W221)?

You´re below the 30ies - I guess it`pretty cool to own one.
If your above the 45ies - you probably have a good job with a nice business car.
Oh, you`re older than 60? Enjoy your last ride.

The S-Class is unflashy, so it`s not what one would consider "cool", IMAO. But it`s a car everybody could be proud of to own as long as it`s black and fully equipped.
How poor is an almost naked S-Class?

It's not the W108, so there is no link to the Red Pig. It's not the W116, so it doesn't have the provenance of the first modern S-Class. It's not the W126, so it won't be still on the road after all humans have died out. And it's not the W140, so it's not comically overengineered to the point of being almost too good for the badge.

And "at least it's not a W220 so the brakes will always work" isn't much praise. Bleh.

Last edited:
Ah. The W126, that would rate at least a cool. Just because.

-

The W116 is sub-zero. Left for our honeymoon in the backseat of a 450SEL. Not because it was particularly fast or fancy or luxurious (which it was, amazingly, considering it was nearly three decades old at the time) but just because I loved the way it looked. Lovely car. I'd never buy one. But lovely car.

Oh I see the Wong's have gotten an income raise. Looks like they've decided to splurge on a base-trim Mercedes S Class.

Uncool.

It's as cool as the stereotypical balding, fat, middle-aged, white businessman. It's not so bad to be "seriously" uncool, but I vote uncool.

I agree with niky on modern full-size sedans, there's nothing that piques my interest, just a bunch of overweight soulless lumps.

Not a fan of newer German cars. Older one was much cooler.

This one not so much, so I voted thusly.

Any benz that is not a SLS/SLR/SL300 that hasn't been touched by it's lunatic division at it's best gets a "meh"

The S-class is a baby Maybach... which in itself is the definition of "personally imagined over self importance" i.e you brake the cock-o-meter if your seen in one... and thats uncool

Last edited:
Meh. It's a nice Germany luxury car. I see a ton of these around here and most are driven by middle aged to older men.

Utterly unappealing style, almost like a Toyota. It's got some nice options, apparently (600 hp? AWD? V12? Interesting), but it looks like the sort of thing someone would only buy because of the name.

If someone gave me one, I'd sell it to somebody with a need to feel important and buy something I wouldn't feel so embarrassed to drive. Seriously uncool.

The S Class is probably the most dull in the Mercedes lineup. The design is outdated, and because it wasn't ever a looker in the first place, it's sort of just boring. Even though I do like Merc's, I have to say that this is uncool.

The styling and reputation of a rich snob hauler make it meh, the hood ornament knocks it to uncool.

Voted meh.
I just can't see anything that says "oh hey this is nice!" That I haven't seen in other luxury cars already.

Back