• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
Plymouth Superbird Hemi nominated by Jahgee124

1970_Plymouth_Superbird_(2).jpg

Stats:
Production: MY 1970
Style: 2-door hardtop coupe
Engine: 426ci naturally aspirated V8 (rated 425 HP)
Transmission: A833 four-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive​

My take? Automatic sub-zero forever, I mean come on. I don't think there's much doubt which way this is going. Still, I cannot allow conjecture to violate the will of the people. Voting begins now and will be open for one week as per usual.

Oh, and please ignore the typo in the poll title.

I'm on the fence on this one. Mopar winged cars are cool, but to me the HEMI engine gets negative points since a lot of Mopar folks think the Elephant Hemi is the end all of internal combustion engines.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm F it subzero for me too. Plus Bonus points for being the Plymouth version.

Are they basically the same?

Charger was the race spec version that could reportedly hit speeds over 230mph. The superbird was the Plymouth street version. Similar to the boss mustangs it was a homologation car and had very low production numbers. The Plymouth was also based off the road runner. They are all similar though.

There may have been a dodge street version.

Too easy, sub-zero for sure. Although I always thought it was interesting that when Superbirds and Charger Daytonas were new they sat on dealer lots for years sometimes because nobody wanted them. Some dealers even took off the nosecones and wings and turned them back into Road Runners and Chargers so they would be an easier sale.

Are they basically the same?

Not really. The Charger and the Belvedere that formed the base cars were only related to each other by drivetrains and the basic platform. The Coronet was much more similar to the Belvedere

Charger was the race spec version that could reportedly hit speeds over 230mph. The superbird was the Plymouth street version. Similar to the boss mustangs it was a homologation car and had very low production numbers. The Plymouth was also based off the road runner. They are all similar though.

The Charger and Superbird were just the 1969 and 1970 entrants by Chrysler in the aero wars, respectively; the latter put together so Plymouth would have a car too. There were street versions of both of them.

Last edited:
Not really. The Charger and the Belvedere that formed the base cars were only related to each other by drivetrains and the basic platform.

The Charger and Superbird were just the 1969 and 1970 entrants by Chrysler in the aero wars, respectively; the latter put together so Plymouth would have a car too. There were street versions of both of them.

That's what I thought. Though the Charger versions are uber rare.

If current trends hold for the rest of the week, this car is headed for McQueen's Garage. Not that it doesn't belong there.

EDIT: No longer true, but still on track to hit the ice box.

I seriously need to get a picture of the one in town. Need to talk to my friends dad. He knows the guy that owns it.

If I ever come across either the Superbird or a Charger Daytona on our roads, I'd probably have a coronary. Plus I've always loved that aero package. Sub Zero.

Normally big muscle cars earn a seriously uncool rating from me for being brash and obnoxious. This is so brash and obnoxious that it's just funny, and as a result is cool, because (as a road car at least, not so much as a NASCAR racer) it doesn't take itself in anyway seriously.

I might vote a standard Road Runner as cool, and this thing could do worse, but it's a beyond-ridiculous clown of a car with a grumbly V8 from one of the most uncool forms of motorsports in the world (albeit from a period of time where it wasn't so dull). Based on its comical looks, I'm kind of surprised it's getting as much sub zero love as it has. According to Wikipedia it was so silly, even for the 1970s, they couldn't even sell them:
Wikipedia
The Superbird's styling proved to be a little extreme for 1970 tastes (many customers preferred the regular Road Runner), and as a consequence, many of the 1,920 examples built sat unsold on the back lots of dealerships as late as 1972. Some were converted into 1970 Road Runners to move them off the sales lot.
That's Uncool.

It's a pity this isn't a good wall. I love these things, but they're SO not cool.

If you tried to drive one of these in the UK, everyone would think you're a total bell. This man would like it:

23v2.png

But that's because he's paid to say he likes US muscle cars. And, nevertheless, he's a total bell.

230? I don't mean to be cynical but I highly doubt they were going that fast. :odd:

Uncool. Yes, I like them, but as Famine said, a car with a pointy nose stuck on and a ludicrously large rear wing does not mean it's cool.

Latest Posts

Back