Not open for further replies.
United States
Wasilla, AK
1981 Dodge M4S "Turbo Interceptor" Concept nominated by AudiMan2011

dodgem4sinterceptor5.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1981 (four known to exist)
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 134ci (2.2L) twin-turbo I4 (rated 440hp, estimated 440 lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Mid-engine, rear-drive​

My take? Despite the turbo I4, it's one of the coolest cars I've seen recently. As a concept car, just the simple fact that it runs and drives makes it cool, and the use of a heavily tuned engine built just for it is icing on the cake. Chrysler Corporation seems to have had a lot of cool concept cars they never built.

Turbo Interceptor appears to be an unofficial name added when the car appeared in The Wraith, but you gotta admit it sounds pretty cool.

So, overall, Sub Zero.

Solid cool. Just look at the damn thing. This is a car designed for kids to drool over. The turbo I4 keeps it from sub zero though. I really hate that configuration.

Concept: Seriously uncool.

B-Movie prop: Seriously uncooler.

B-Movie prop in a movie featuring a pre-insane Charlie Sheen: Looks like we're in trouble here...

-

Meh. Subzero. Just because I love the damn thing.

Pretty much everything from the 80's is uncool, with this being a concept car though, it makes it down into seriously uncool range.

Uncool, it's ugly and it's a concept car. But it is really famous, so that bumped it up a bit.

Sub Zero.

Don't care if it's a concept. One of my favorites as a kid.

Plus I had a hot wheels/matchbox die cast of this car that was unbeatable on the very elaborate hot wheels tracks I used to set up. :lol:

I'm not getting this notion that concept = uncool? Why?

From what I've heard in previous discussions is that concept cars sometimes end up as museum pieces and the chances of the average driver getting behind the wheel of one is zero, regardless of whether it runs at 25mph or 195.

Famine can fill in the rest of the details for me from his fountain of knowledge.

Regarding my vote, I find it cool because it's one of the few concept cars that runs properly and can hit supercar speeds. Plus the sleek aerodynamic body makes it a quite a looker. The rarity of it adds to the coolness as it wasn't a complete one-off project.

Last edited:
80's? Check.
MR? Check.
Turbo nutter? Check.
Looks good? Check.

Lord Kelvins icebox it it.

From what I've heard in previous discussions is that concept cars sometimes end up as museum pieces and the chances of the average driver getting behind the wheel of one is zero, regardless of whether it runs at 25mph or 195.

Famine can fill in the rest of the details for me from his fountain of knowledge.

Regarding my vote, I find it cool because it's one of the few concept cars that runs properly and can hit supercar speeds. Plus the sleek aerodynamic body makes it a quite a looker. The rarity of it adds to the coolness as it wasn't a complete one-off project.

That doesn't make it uncool.

Does that man come with the car? Also, nice giant Pentastar in the front.

Uncool.

Nor does the lack of V8 engine, but that doesn't stop you from using it as voting criteria.

Personal preference. Just because it's labeled a concept car itself doesn't make it uncool, no matter what the hell kind of engine it has. Totally unrelated.

Personal preference. Just because it's labeled a concept car itself doesn't make it uncool, no matter what the hell kind of engine it has. Totally unrelated.

The point is coolness is defined by the beholder. Concept car isn't universally uncool, but for some it's automatic uncool. It's a valid criteria for any rating.

The point is coolness is defined by the beholder. Concept car isn't universally uncool, but for some it's automatic uncool. It's a valid criteria for any rating.

Fair point.

Cool.

If one of these were to drive on the road, most people, including myself would say that's cool. Coupled with 400hp turbo charged I4, it'd certainly move as well.

I agree completely, but I'm still curious as to why for several people it makes it automatically uncool? Why do folks dislike concept cars or think them uncool?

No, but a car that cannot be driven, ever, isn't a car.

As cars go, that makes it a seriously uncool one.

Surely that is more an argument why concept cars shouldn't be included in these polls? I totally get that as an argument, but that the concept status makes it automatically "uncool" or even "not a car" (seriously? I still think you are clinging on to that bizarre notion a little tenaciously/tenuously) I'm finding more of a stretch.

Last edited:
The car cannot be driven now, but it was definitely driven for the movie. It's more working concept than garage queen concept.

I do think concept cars (along with race cars) shouldn't be options for the Cool Wall, too.

Needless to say, this gets Seriously Uncool.

I wish I could say I like it, but it looks so much like one of those 'dustbuster' vans that used to be so popular, only flattened out some.

Uncool.

What's not to love about a twin turbo 2.2 Mopar that puts out 400+ hp ? Freaking amazing ! This car however lacks in the looks department. The front end is just ... well, it's just. This lowers the ranking from a sub-zero to a hard cool.

BTW - The Wraith was not all of that great of a movie either, one of those 80's "B" style. :lol:

Almost anything that has the Dodge name will get cool from me... and this car is no exception 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back