1996-2001 Toyota Camry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1996-2001 Toyota Camry nominated by Roger The Horse

800px-1997-1999_Toyota_Camry.jpg

Stats:
Production: August 1996-2001 (2002 in Austrailia)
Style: 4-door sedan, 5-door wagon
Engine: 132 ci (2,164 cc) I4 (rated 133-136 HP and 147-150 lb-ft) (183 ci/2,994 cc V6 rated 192 HP was also available, but not included in the nomination)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, A140E or A541E 4-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, front-drive
AKA: Daihatsu Altis, Toyota Vienta, Toyota Mark II Qualis
Related: Lexus ES/Toyota Windom, Toyota Camry Solara​

My take? This is probably the kind of car for which "Meh" was intended, but I think a boring car designed for comfort, practicality, and fuel economy, without much thought given to performance or styling, is one of the most uncool possible cars.

Uncool.

Undoubtedly good at what it does, but neither average Joe on the street who knows nothing about cars, nor regular car enthusiasts, should find it cool for anything other than ironic reasons.

This deserves to go in the dungeon. The 2.2 Camry joke has been beaten to a pulp, set on fire, bulldozed into the ground, paved over and smashed with a meteorite. It isn't funny anymore, let it die. :grumpy::mad:

The Camry is a car for people who don't like cars. The people who buy these things aren't even trying. They probably don't know what the word "petrolhead" means. I'd rather be branded a tosser in an Impreza 22B than an uninteresting dullard with no sense of taste in one of these things.

It's neither cool nor uncool, as bland as a slice of stale bread without butter, and the vehicular epitome of 'meh'.

Meh.

Exactly. This car is too bland to be labeled anything. It just exists.
A V6 model equipped with the 5-speed manual would change that, but since most aren't, "meh".

This deserves to go in the dungeon. The 2.2 Camry joke has been beaten to a pulp, set on fire, bulldozed into the ground, paved over and smashed with a meteorite. It isn't funny anymore, let it die. :grumpy::mad:

The Camry is a car for people who don't like cars. The people who buy these things aren't even trying. They probably don't know what the word "petrolhead" means. I'd rather be branded a tosser in an Impreza 22B than an uninteresting dullard with no sense of taste in one of these things.

But it's a V6....

A V6 model equipped with the 5-speed manual would change that, but since most aren't, "meh".

I'd disagree on this point. It seems to come under the banner "every car is made better with a manual shift" (I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it's in line with others who believe this to be the case). These days, the manual transmission seems to be used as little more than some kind of superiority over other drivers even by those who drive something utterly tedious, like a Camry*.

I've not driven a Camry, but I have a hard time believing it'd be made more fun (and certainly believing it'd be more cool) by giving it a stick. All it'd really do is make it slightly less good at what it was designed for, which is to bumble about with minimal fuss to anyone who owns it.

* Same goes for any other implied superiority tool, like rear-wheel drive or a car without driver aids. A boring car is a boring car regardless of which wheels are driven, what gearbox it has or whether it has traction control or not. Giving it one or all of the above doesn't make it better, it just adds a pointless factor into the mix.

Well said Ant, we've missed your logic around here while you were gallivanting around the states :lol:.

Anyway, I went uncool. It's doesn't do anything for me, it's beige, and is driven as a means to get from A to B safely and with adequate fuel economy. Also I really don't understand the whole argument it's for people who hate cars though, I'm sure plenty of car lovers own them, it's just what they can afford and what makes sense given certain conditions.

If this was the newer Camry it would be Sub-Zero though since it's grounded to the ground and that's just awesome. Shame we had to vote on one that isn't grounded to anything.

I'd disagree on this point. It seems to come under the banner "every car is made better with a manual shift" (I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it's in line with others who believe this to be the case).

I completely agree with what you're saying, and no, I am not part of that crowd. These superiority complexes are incredibly tedious and need to stop. I personally have a huge affection for plush saloons with automatics and V6s (especially those of French origin due to their extremely comfortable velour seats!).

The V6 Camry is so unusual around here that if I spotted one, I would personally think it was a tiny bit cool. The few I see are all 2.2 manuals, and the dealerships most likely only took home V6 automatics unless you specifically ordered a manual. In this instance, it's the rarity and not specifically the application of a manual transmission that makes it interesting for me.

Also I really don't understand the whole argument it's for people who hate cars though, I'm sure plenty of car lovers own them, it's just what they can afford and what makes sense given certain conditions.
Yes, this Is totally ridiculous. I love my corolla and I love cars, it's definitely not a cool car and not very fun nor hoon-inspiring but it works like it should, it takes everything you throw at it, and you can do almost anything yourself. What's not to love?

I picked meh for realistic-ness, but I would pick sub-zero because this is about the most boring car I can imagine. It's so notorious for being so boring.

Colonel, have we captured 007?

No.

How so?

We stopped every fancy car exiting the city, but none contained 007.

What?

Indeed. We believe MI6 may have adopted a new tactic with their 00 agents. Using cars which are really bland and uninteresting!

Dear god!

You know this is going to be part of a James Bond film sooner or later. No car is better suited for the job than this. Oh, by the way, when I nominated this, I wasn't going for the 2.2 Camry joke, I had actually completely forgotten about it at the time. I was just trying to nominate the most bland car possible.

Seriously uncool. Another first car for a teenager. The v6 one is alright since my friend had one with a manual but that's it.

But seriously though is this a joke? Because this is downright laughable.

Slashfan I think the idea of this thread is to get peoples' opinions on all kinds of cars, good or bad, not just for people to big up their favourites.

Anyway an "Uncool" from me, it's so very bland but not weird looking or poorly engineered or anything which would earn a "Seriously Uncool" from me.

No more of a joke than that Pinto in a Mustang suit you posted.

Oh here we go again. It's not Pinto, it has hardly any relation to it. Look it up.

Back on topic, @ Tyger, I know but still I found it kind of funny to see it up :lol: Ah well, not my decision to make.

Umm...

Wikipedia
The second-generation Ford Mustang is a pony car that was manufactured by Ford Motor Company from 1973 until 1978. It was introduced in coupe and hatchback versions for the 1974 model year, in time for the 1973 oil crisis. The Mustang II had no common components with the preceding models and shared its platform with the subcompact-sized Ford Pinto.

Yeah about 10% of it. If that. I'd hardly consider that a Pinto. Regardless, there is a lot worse cars oout there it could be related to.

Please remind why this got even dragged off topic in the first place?

Back