Successful Rally Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 72 comments
  • 4,882 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
To make my debut in the Motorsport\World Rally Championship topics, finish this sentence and explain if you wish:

The most successful rally car of all time is...


I'm not too skilled, but I'll start.

The most successful rally car of all time is the Subaru Impreza. To me, Colin McRae's rally success with Subaru got me into him. Subaru in WRC is like Ferrari in Formula 1. The Impreza is surely one of the best even before Peugeot's dominance of today. The Impreza nowadays doesn't look as mean as the last model (before it went to the "bug eye" headlight package), but it can still perform. Sad not to see the tandem of Colin McRae and Nicky Grist in WRC competing actively together. And in the states, the Subaru team in SCCA Pro Rally are pretty hot here as well. The Impreza is a performance car unlike any other. You take it on the dirt, and you can best your rival Mitsubishis.

Like I said, all I know is road racing, but not bad for rally, I'd say. Nominate your favorite rally car.
 
How about the Group B Audi Quattro, the old MKI/ MKII Ford Escorts and teh Mini?
 
Without a doubt the Lancia Integrale, which won the WRC championship six times.

The Impreza is a damn good car with a good record but the Lancer Evo has just as good, if not better track record.

The Audi Quatro will always hold a place in my heart for bringing 4wd to the party, but was never that successful.

The Mini was a giant killer of massive proportions and has only just lost it's compitition status (last rally its was officially recognised by the FIA was the Rally GB '03)
 

Attachments

  • martini2.jpg
    martini2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 190
I'll go with Scaff, I'm pretty sure the Integrale gave Lancia the majority of its wins (and do they have wins!) Of course I can't help but take my hat off to the Stratos as well, being an MR car (a very sexy one at that :D) and a winner, that's class.

The Impreza has done very well in its crusade, it still has a way to go to be deemed best overall in WRC history if you ask me though.

The Peugeot 205 T16 was a major threat while it competed. Super-light and super-powerful car that was.
 
Since you said "favorite" and not, "best," I'll chime in...

I'll go with the 2002-2003 Ford Focus WRC. It's styling works for me and I'm a Ford fan to top it off.
 
I seriously hope you're just joking around...

I really don't take too kindly to that kind of behavior - ESPECIALLY unwarranted behavior such as that...
 
Originally posted by jizzmirk
I seriously hope you're just joking around...

I really don't take too kindly to that kind of behavior - ESPECIALLY unwarranted behavior such as that...

Yes I'm just joking. ;) It's just some Holden Ford humour

That 03, 04 Focus is B E U T I F U L. ESpecialy Francois Duval's car
 
I'll say the DeTomaso Pantera GTS, not sure of the exact modelname but there has been a rally-version.
 
Now if we are talking favorite looking rally car of all time I would have to go with the Lancia 037; may have been outclassed by the later Group B cars, but god did it look the part in tarmac spec.
 

Attachments

  • has_lancia037-box2.jpg
    has_lancia037-box2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 162
Once again, I can't help but agree with Scaff.
That car, put simply, was mean. I love seeing footage of old Monte Carlo rallies to see the 037 snaking and sliding its way around the crowds.
 
That's about the most decent-looking Lancia I've seen. Nice find, Scaff.
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
That's about the most decent-looking Lancia I've seen. Nice find, Scaff.

Why thank you guys.

The 037 was not that succesful, but was the first true Group B car and one of the best looking rally cars ever.

You may like these shots I dug up.
 

Attachments

  • lancia037_rear.jpg
    lancia037_rear.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 126
Cutaway shot
 

Attachments

  • lancia037_cutaway.jpg
    lancia037_cutaway.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 130
Engine shot
 

Attachments

  • lancia037_engine.jpg
    lancia037_engine.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 118
Blueprint
 

Attachments

  • lancia037_blueprint.jpg
    lancia037_blueprint.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 112
Are there any stock 037 pictures anywhere? Because that seems like a pretty sweet car to have parked in the garage, I love those lines. :cool:
 
Originally posted by Sleek Stratos
Are there any stock 037 pictures anywhere? Because that seems like a pretty sweet car to have parked in the garage, I love those lines. :cool:

At work now, but I'm sure I have some at home. Will double check and post tonight if I can.
 
Opps forgot - ah well here we go
 

Attachments

  • 037rally01.jpg
    037rally01.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 101
Originally posted by Scaff
Opps forgot - ah well here we go

Hey Scaff! You are THE man! Do you know how long I've been looking for a pic of that red Lancia for? I have the nicest side view picture of it in one of my car books back in the UK, but I haven't seen a pic of the same car in the same colour since. No suprise that it's in Japan either - man, there are some really special historic European cars there!

Cheers, Scaff! Biggup the Swindon massive fi real :D
 
next one
 

Attachments

  • arkc02.jpg
    arkc02.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 107
more to come
 

Attachments

  • car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 99
next
 

Attachments

  • not752_1.jpg
    not752_1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 104
more
 

Attachments

  • strange_pic_lancia_037.jpg
    strange_pic_lancia_037.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 94
more
 

Attachments

  • stradale-02a.jpg
    stradale-02a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 95
Last one - for now
 

Attachments

  • stradale-03a.jpg
    stradale-03a.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
Originally posted by chaser_fan
Hey Scaff! You are THE man! Do you know how long I've been looking for a pic of that red Lancia for? I have the nicest side view picture of it in one of my car books back in the UK, but I haven't seen a pic of the same car in the same colour since. No suprise that it's in Japan either - man, there are some really special historic European cars there!

Cheers, Scaff! Biggup the Swindon massive fi real :D

Always aim to please
 
Originally posted by Scaff
Always aim to please

The third one down is particularly gorgeous and I was just coming back to post that very same picture :)

Why, oh why did I never think to use Google image search liek I do with every other car?!?!?!?? Idiot!

Cheers, Scaff!

Chaser
 
Originally posted by chaser_fan
The third one down is particularly gorgeous and I was just coming back to post that very same picture :)

Why, oh why did I never think to use Google image search liek I do with every other car?!?!?!?? Idiot!

Cheers, Scaff!

Chaser

Mine to, had it as my wallpaper for a while.
 
Back