The 2005 Cadillac STS: World-Class Car or Overhyped Car?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 24 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, you may remember watching commercials about the Cadillac STS. The commercials had captions that featured the STS putting several different sayings such as "Luxury and performance don't mix," and even "Real performance cars have only two seats." I know I've knocked on Cadillac's "appeal to a younger audience" deal, not to mention the most recent styling changes to most of the Cadillac lineup, but what do you think about this four-wheel drive (or if it's all-wheel drive, set me straight) offering from Cadillac? I know only so much about this machine, so I'll need you all to help out.

For what others say about the Cadillac STS, view these websites and then make your stand on this machine:

http://www.autobytel.com/content/re.../ovchn/INK/ovcpn/SiteMatch/ovcrn/SMX/ovtac/PI
http://www.jsonline.com/wheels/test/aug04/250896.asp

Well, reply now! Let's get it on, dawg!

JohnBM01
what do you think about this four-wheel drive (or if it's all-wheel drive, set me straight)

Rear-wheel drive, with all-wheel drive as an option.

It's definitely not worth the asking price. The powertrain is awesome and exterior is better than CTS, but the interior, like the CTS, is crapola.

Firebird
Rear-wheel drive, with all-wheel drive as an option.

It's definitely not worth the asking price. The powertrain is awesome and exterior is better than CTS, but the interior, like the CTS, is crapola.

Why do u need four wheel drive. Back wheel 👍

What?

I didn't pick one drivetrain over another, I just corrected him: the STS is rear-wheel drive, and all-wheel-drive is an option.

I think the STS is far superior to the 300C.
Interior appointments are slightly better than those of the CTS, I think.

Why can't GM do interiors anyway?

skip0110
I think the STS is far superior to the 300C.
Interior appointments are slightly better than those of the CTS, I think.

Because it's an american car company. Americans don't know how to make stylish interior (or exterior imo). :)

Ford seems to manage fine, at least on Lincolns. Aston is Ford owned, and thier interiors are alright also (although not Laborghini/Ferrari quality). I say it's penny pinching.

skip0110
Ford seems to manage fine, at least on Lincolns. Aston is Ford owned, and thier interiors are alright also (although not Laborghini/Ferrari quality). I say it's penny pinching.

Right, but just because Ford owns Aston doesn't mean they do their styling..

Hmm... yes the STS is good but over rated a bit. I bet I can find a better car in that class but at the end it all comes down to what you like. The sporty/luxourious M5 or just a big fat heavy car.

You can get a BMW 545i that goes 0-60 in 5.6 sec and pay $56K, or
you can get a Cadillac STS V8 that goes 0-60 in 6.0 sec and pay $47K.

Your choice.

BTW, the STS weighs 4148 lbs and the BMW weigs 4000 lbs.

And, I'm hoping that the supercharged Northstar STS-V will do some serious M5 arse-kicking. ;)

65000 dollars can get you alot nicer looking(opinion wise) of a car, and/or alot better performing one.....GM can keep trying to make a midrange good car, and the CTS-v was a good venture..but why bother with "cadillac" as the branch to do it with..

skip0110
You can get a BMW 545i that goes 0-60 in 5.6 sec and pay $56K, or
you can get a Cadillac STS V8 that goes 0-60 in 6.0 sec and pay $47K.

Your choice.

BTW, the STS weighs 4148 lbs and the BMW weigs 4000 lbs.

And, I'm hoping that the supercharged Northstar STS-V will do some serious M5 arse-kicking. ;)
You got a point there maybe just maybe if it was the STS I might get it but who am I to say I havent driven the car so I cant say anything. :grumpy: :lol: BUT if we do the STS-V Vs the M5 we will see what does the "arse" kicking.

The STS dosen't look all that great to me. But if I had to get something in the price range of this car, and want it to perform just as good I would go for the 2005 Lexus GS 430. With a 4.3L V8 pushing out 300hp and 325lb tq it does 0 - 60 in 5.8 seconds (From the official site).

Not bad. With only 20 hp less than the STS but more torque. Also it is a tad cheaper, with more standard eqiupment.

Overall, it's a nice looking car. Not something I would buy though.

EDIT:

Screw both of them. Get the Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG. 👍 It will not only destory both of them performance wise, it looks better too.

rollazn
EDIT:

Screw both of them. Get the Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG. 👍 It will not only destory both of them performance wise, it looks better too.
The C55 is not in the same size class as the STS. Comapre it to the CTS-V. ;)

skip0110

ohh.... they can remember the aztek :rolleyes: its terrible inside out!
Look! Thats a face only a mother could love. This is for you people that defend that POS!Pontiac was the only good thing GM had then they shot that down fast with the vibe and aztek. but anyways the caddy sts and cts are world class ****. Over priced, over rated, and out preformed by most cars in there class.

Attachments

• 2001-aztek-165.jpg
    2001-aztek-165.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image025.jpg
    image025.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image027.jpg
    image027.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 8
skip0110
The C55 is not in the same size class as the STS. Comapre it to the CTS-V. ;)

But it's in the same price class. And when you're looking price and four seats, you tend to disregard size.

I love the STS except for the options prices, which are hell. AWD is a good idea - too bad it's $62500 base - $4000 less than a base A8 and nearly $20000 more (that's twenty - not two - thousand) than an Acura RL, which has it standard. Plus, $40300 sounds like a deal for a base STS but the cheapest package is $2390, second-cheapest is an absurd $8595. Hell, a package on the V8 is $13115. For a freaking option package. Any option packages that are the price of new cars are packages (and vehicles) to avoid. SRX has the very same problem - $38300 but the cheapest AWD model is more than $42000, which isn't the same deal. And there's a package there for $13660!

Cadillac's done a superb job getting the cars into the future and beyond with this one exception; options prices are keeping people away.

But $60,000+ is stepping into the ring with BMW and maybe even Jaguar. So are some of you telling me that this car can hang with others in its class for this asking price?

JohnBM01
But $60,000+ is stepping into the ring with BMW and maybe even Jaguar. So are some of you telling me that this car can hang with others in its class for this asking price?

No question.

Back