American Sports Cars at Leguna Seca

• Thread starter dhwebb
  • 37 comments
In honor of the US release of GT4 coming near, I decided to do my first writeup and what better race than the Leguna Seca 200 featuring the best American Sports cars in the game. Remember this is my first writeup so bear with me.

The Starting Grid
1.1990 Corvette ZR-1
2.1994 Corvette Grand Sport
3.2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe
4.2005 Ford GT
5.2002 Saleen S7
6.2000 Corvette Z06 (me)

A-Spec Points: 76
Laps: 90
Prize: 200,000 credits and a 1969 Ford GT40 Race Car

Pit Strategies
ZR-1 – 20 laps
Grand Sport – 22 laps
GTO – 19 laps
GT – 17 laps
S7 – 23 laps
Z06 – 16 laps

Z06 Setup – Since the S7 and GT have monstrous power compared to the Z06, I had to do a little tinkering to get the Z06 up to speed.
  • Computer Chip
  • Sport Racing Muffler/Intake
  • Computer Chip
  • #2 NA Tune
  • S2 Tires (F/R)
  • Brakes
  • Carbon Drive Shaft
  • Racing Flywheel
  • Triple Clutch
  • Full Tranny
  • Full Suspension
  • Full LSD

The resulting power was 558PS, the same as both the stock Ford GT and S7.

Ok, enough of the specs, let get down to the race.

Lap 1: The race starts from a rolling start. The GT immediately takes off and passes the GTO with ease through the first turn. The S7 tries to pass the GTO all though the turns without any luck. The GTO sticks to his lines and the S7 kicks up some dust. On the straight before the corkscrew, both the S7 and myself pass the GTO to put him in 6th place. While we are passing the GTO, the GT works past the Grand Sport to take 2nd and tries to close in on the leader, the ZR-1.

Lap 2: Starting the 2nd lap, the GT takes the lead down the straight. The S7 and myself pass the Grand Sport down the straight, and I continue and pass the S7 to take 3rd place. The top 5 positions continue around the track in a pretty straight line. The GT starts to move away from the pack coming up to the corkscrew though. I'm able to get around the ZR-1 at the corkscrew and start chasing down the leader.
Lap 3: I start this lap just a 1.5 seconds from the Ford GT. Me and the GT start widening the gap between us and the rest to about 5 seconds. The S7 is between the ZR-1 and the Grand Sport. I really thought that S7 would be knocking on our back door by now, but it's not as fast as I thought. At the corkscrew, the S7 overtakes the ZR-1 for 3rd.

Lap 4: While crossing the line I realize that I have taken the lead by a margin of 0.162 seconds. I seem to have better gearing than the Ford GT and am able to outrun it down the straights on pure acceleration. Coming out of the corkscrew, I got off my line and the GT seizes the opportunity and takes the lead back again.

Lap 5: Everybody seems to be getting into their positions. The S7 has left the other 2 Vettes behind, and starts looking for the leaders. At the start of the lap the leader board goes as follows: GT, Z06, S7, ZR-1. Grand Sport, GTO. I try to take back the lead from the GT, but keep braking too late in the corners and letting him keep the lead with ease.

Lap 6: Using the acceleration advantage I had on the GT, I try to retake the lead. We cross the line to start lap 6 dead even(photo). 0.000 seconds difference, but once again, my poor braking allowed him to keep the lead with ease. Finally at the last turn, I take a great line and regain the lead.

Lap 8: Nothing has changed much in the past couple of laps. My tires seem to be nice and sticky now and I'm starting to do some decent lap times. I achieved my fastest lap so far of 1:31.603 and extended my lead on the GT to 3.202 seconds.

Lap 12: Tires getting a little worn. Fastest lap time so far with a 1:31.373. The oversteer from the rear tires wearing a little faster helps some of the turns. The GT is now 4.454 seconds behind.

Lap 15: Seeing some traffic ahead already. From the color I'm sure it's the GTO.

Lap 16: Got right behind GTO at corkscrew but car is very loose now. Going to take my first pit at the end of this lap. With this pit, the GT will take the lead back from me.

Lap 17: I come out of the pits in 3rd behind the GT and the S7. The GT leads me by 17.345 seconds.

Lap 18: The GT pits at the end of lap 17 and the S7 now takes the lead. The GT gets out of the pits before me and I am stuck in 3rd trying to catch up to the GT. The S7 has extended it lead on me to almost 20 seconds by the end of the lap. I finally get past the GT still trying to warm its tires up. At the corkscrew, I am now in 2nd again.

Lap 20: As I start this lap, I realize that the the GTO just pitted and I have put him one lap down. My tires have gotten green and the lap times are starting to get back to normal. As I go through the last turn, I lap the ZR-1 as he enters the pits. I'm still in 2nd trailing the S7 by 18.918 seconds. I'm starting to worry about if he is ever going to pit.

Lap 21: Getting closer to the s7. I know I'll take the lead when he pits, but will I have to pit once more during the race than him. Could get close. Ford GT is at least 9 seconds back from me in 3rd and isn't posing any type of threat.

Lap 23: I lap to Grand Sport in the pits as I start this lap. I'm trailing the S7 by 12.785 seconds. He's starting to slow down. His tires must be blood red by now. Once again I make the final turn and realize that he has finally pitted. I take back the lead and my fastest lap of the day now with a 1:31.001.

Lap 25: The GT is now in second after passing the S7 a few laps ago while the S7 was pitted. The GT trails me by about 12 seconds now. The S7 isn't too much further behind though.

Lap 28: GT still in second ahead of S7 by what appears to be about a 10 second margin. The GTO is back ahead of me just waiting on me to lap him again to put him 2 down

Lap 29: Lapped the GTO on turn 4 and also achieved my fastest lap so far, 1:30.870.

Lap 33: I pitted after my last lap and gave the lead back to the GT. I figured the S7 would also pass me while in the pits, but he didn't. Near the last turn, he lapped the GTO and closed in on me. He follows me by about a second and I'm in following the GT by 10.436 seconds.

Lap 34: At the end of this lap, the GT pits as planned and me and the S7 take 1st and 2nd with only 1.668 seconds between us.

Lap 35: I mad a few mistakes during the first half of the lap and the S7 takes the lead from me. I end the lap trailing by less than a second though. The GT is still trailing behind us in 3rd.

Lap 39: The GTO pitted at the during this lap. I'm still trying to pass the Saleen but am still over 2.5 seconds back. Once he gets going, he's hard to catch.

Lap 41: Just lapped the ZR-1 as he had to pit. I'm 0.2 seconds behind the S7 now as we start the lap. I out break him at the first turns and take back the lead. He broke real early telling me that his tires are getting worn. At the end of this lap I lead the S7 by 2.682 seconds.

Lap 42: The S7 and I got slowed down by lap traffic. We lapped the Grand Sport and the GTO. The Grand Sport also got a lap up on the GTO on this lap also. 4 cars running together on 3 different laps.

Lap 44: I pulled away from the S7 this lap and extended my lead to 5.789 seconds.

Lap 46: Halfway there. Time elapsed already is 1:10:55.966. The leader board is as follows: Z06. S7, GT, Grand Sport, ZR-1, and GTO.

Lap 47: The S7 pitted at the start of this lap. Now my question is can the GT take back 2nd from the Saleen or was the gap just too much. I lead the GT by 31 seconds at the end of the lap.

Lap 48: I start to realize that my tires are in very bad shape and I take it easy this lap. I noticed that the GT did get 2nd place and that the S7 is following behind him by 3 seconds. That gap will probably get a little bigger since the S7 runs horribly on new tires. At the end of this lap, I pit as scheduled and needed.

Lap 50: After keeping in the lead even after pitting, the GT is coming on strong and is only 1.765 seconds behind me. He does have to pit though which should give me plenty of breathing room.

Lap 52: The GT pits in and the S7 is now in second. I lead the S7 by 21.426 seconds. It looks like a nice lead but I have to put 2 more times and the S7 only has to pit once more. It could still be close.

Lap 54: This lap should have been a lot faster. I hit the brakes late going into the corkscrew and ran off the road. I had nailed every corner on the lap before this. The S7 has a good 2nd place lead on the gt, about 10 seconds. I think the GT is going to stick the rest of the race out in 3rd place.

Lap 57: I put the Grand Sport another lap down by taking him cleanly on the inside of the next to last turn. I have been running a pretty consistent low 1:32 laps for the last 10 laps or so.

Lap 58: At the end of this lap, I once again lap that poor GTO. I also lapped the ZR-1 again this past lap. As I cross the line, I realize that I now lead the S7 by 28 seconds.

Lap 60: The ZR-1 pitted this lap. The last 3 laps were all 1:32.0xx laps. My consistency is getting better even if they are over a second slower than my best lap time.

Lap 65: I almost ran out of gas that last lap. I really was worried I would run out before the pits. I let the crew fill up the gas more than I usually do which cost me some time. As I start this lap, I have only a 11 second lead on the S7.

Lap 66: The Grand Sport pits this lap. The S7 has really gained on me. I lead him by just 5 seconds now. If my math is right, we both have 1 pit left, me at lap 80 and him at lap 69 which is coming up. This could still be close.

Lap 68: Our good old 3rd place buddy the Ford GT pits this lap. He enters in third and leaves in third. I think his fate has been sealed and is no longer a threat to anybody.

Lap 69: As I near the line at the end of this lap, I realize, the S7 didn't pit. He was supposed to pit. I have at least pulled away from him to make my lead 10.973 seconds over him.

Lap 71: The S7 finally pits. Speaking of pits, that GTO just sat there and watched my put him yet another lap down. As I cross the line, the S7 is now 40 seconds behind me. With one more pit left for me, I start to feel a little more assured that I will win this one.

Lap 72: Finally a sub 1:32 lap. This lap was a 1:31.430. The past 16 laps have been slower than I wanted them to be. Maybe I will be able to break that fastest lap of the day of 1:30.870.

Lap 73: Lapped the ZR-1 and the Grand Sport again. Normally lap traffic slows me down but I still ran a 1:31.831.

Lap 78: I decided to pit early at the end of the lap. The car was really loose and hard to control. This is my last pit so it's straight to the finish for me and the Saleen.

Lap 83: Now 6 laps down, the GTO gives me a simple hand gesture with one of his fingers and I lap him one more time in the last corner.

Lap 87: The S7 is currently 35.2 seconds back from me. He has to accept that silver is all he's going to get today. The gold is mine.

Lap 88: I lap the ZR-1 again before the corkscrew.

Lap 90: Last lap! I see a car ahead of me as I start this lap. I wanted to lap the GT but didn't have a clue as to where he was on the track. I ran hard and finally caught up with the car ahead when we got to the corkscrew. Unfortunately, it wasn't the GT, it was the Grand Sport. With pride though, I put him 5 laps down at the last corner before I took the checkered flag to win the race. The final results follows below.

1.Z06
2.S7 - 37.423
3.GT - ???????
4.GS - 5 laps
5.ZR1- 5 laps
6.GTO-6 laps

Total race time: 2:21:44.042
Fastest Lap: Lap 29 – 1:30.870
Average Lap: 1:34.519
Average NonPit Lap: 1:32.731
Laps Led: 72
Pit Stops: 5

Here are a couple of pictures also
Starting Grid
Dead Even

Referring to the post above, a write-up is like an in-game race report, you can make up a race if you like....but it's much more fun if the race actually happened.

As for the write-up, it was quite enjoyable. The pics were very nice, and I'm glad you won.

Great first write-up for this forum :)

Nice write-up, love the extra dimension the photomode captures add to this! :drool: Can't wait to get my hands on GT4 on Wednesday! :drool: :drool: :drool:

What exactly does Overclocked412 mean by "your exposed to make up races" ?
I get visions of semi-naked folks racing to apply lipgloss or mascara!!! (Yeah, that is strange!)

If he means, "are we supposed to make up races?", then, no, we don't make them up, simply have an excellent racing experience in GT4, (or GT3 for that matter, see the GT3 write-ups threads for some excellent race accounts too!) take some notes and write-up an account for the rest of us GT addicts to enjoy. :)

Excellent write-up, I somehow really enjoy these. Just makes me want GT4 like crazy.. I have to go to school in like 20 minutes, but I'll be dreaming all day of GT4 :lol:

By the way, the second picture with the Vette and GT is fantastic!! It's on my background! What a great shot, especially considering it goes with the write-up.

There's the legendary 2-3 slowpoke AI in the enduros, as there has been in every GT since the very first one. That aside, how good (or brainless) were the fast AI in the enduro? ;)

dhwebb
Lap 65: I almost ran out of gas that last lap. I really was worried I would run out before the pits. I let the crew fill up the gas more than I usually do which cost me some time. As I start this lap, I have only a 11 second lead on the S7.

Out of interest, what actually does happen if you let it run out of fuel?

wow! photo mode is kewl! That's a great write up. And i'm so happy that someone did something in a Vette!!! and you beat a GT!! :lol: silly ford

i sure hope our EB store gets the shipment in early at 6pm today. so i can play tonight!!!

Sweet. It's always helpful to have an idea of your competition before you go into a 90 lap race and you did a great job of showing pit strategies and tire wear concerns. I'm sure gas mileage is different for each car as well. Now I know that laps in the low 1'30's will win the race and can pick\setup my car accordingly.

This race was one of my favorites in GT3, I'd say I've got over 1000 laps on LS easy. Chasing that red Viper was tough, especially in the last 15-20 laps of a close race. My arms would be tired, concentration was slack, and my head pounding from staring into that sunset for 2 hours. Is the sun still that bad?

Catawba Warrior
and my head pounding from staring into that sunset for 2 hours. Is the sun still that bad?

Oh yes, that really bugged me in GT3, i hated it! and in Cote D'azur too. Looks like its no longer sunset though at LSR, so we shouldn't have that problem...

Thanks great write up top notch!!! Tire wear is more life like and I'm very happy about that. Now for the next write up 1000km at Suzuka or Nurb 24 hours. Remember every lap.!!

cjrciadt
Thanks great write up top notch!!! Tire wear is more life like and I'm very happy about that. Now for the next write up 1000km at Suzuka or Nurb 24 hours. Remember every lap.!!
No 24 hour ring but I have done a writeup on the 4 hour, I just haven't proofread it yet for posting.

Kinda sad that the sunset is gone actually. I like to play in total darkness and that was always one of the coolest visuals. CDA is a great track in certains cars but LS is just more my style. Seattle is one of my favorites but again, it can be a nightmare in the wrong car. TOY Altezza race car is awesome there.

I can tell that I'll be a big fan of this write-up section once it gets going good and I get the game. Pit stops have always been good times to pause and jot down a few notes, I assume that's the case for most of you? Interesting that I haven't seen a write-up for a 2nd or 3rd place finish yet, makes me wonder if I'm the only one that ever loses.

Catawba Warrior
Interesting that I haven't seen a write-up for a 2nd or 3rd place finish yet, makes me wonder if I'm the only one that ever loses.
I put a Jaguar S against the ASL at the 4 hour Ring to try to get a close race. Due to poor setup on the Jag, which is my fault, I kept up pretty good except I was pitting every other lap. It was a 4 hour race and 1:45 into it, I finally realized I didn't have a prayer and was going to be in 2nd the whole time. I retired the race early and still have the writeup on my laptop, but figured since I actually gave up, nobody wanted to read that crap.

Yes Catawba i understand your viewpoint but again, as dhwebb (who i like very much now after these writeups) just said, First place writeups are not going to be very common. However, i don't think it's as much a matter of nobody wants to read it, but so much as embarassment of putting on the story of how you lost... Just a thought. a 2nd/3rd or even 6th writeup would be interesting though...

Over on the GT3 writeup boards, there are 2 I know of both titled, Why I hate the AI. These are close 2nds so they are good. I don't think I would like to read one where on lap 3 the person talks about getting pushed off the road into the sand as a Zonda squeezes past him in the turn to lap him. Close races are what I like, no matter what place you finish.

I agree, but i don't particularly like racing risking not winning on a very long race as this irritates me as i HAVE to race it again to have it completed/win car/credits. I will make it closer the second time round though, for fun, but clearly the art is in making reasonable odds...

one of the best things of GT4 is that, thanks to Photo Mode, writeups can now be illustrated, Kazunori must be reading this forums...

dhwebb
Over on the GT3 writeup boards, there are 2 I know of both titled, Why I hate the AI. These are close 2nds so they are good. I don't think I would like to read one where on lap 3 the person talks about getting pushed off the road into the sand as a Zonda squeezes past him in the turn to lap him. Close races are what I like, no matter what place you finish.

Thanks! Nice to know someone read them! They are over on the GT3 write-ups board, and were 2 ever so close attempts to win certain races in certain cars that really shouldn't have been competetive! As soon as I progress far enough with GT4, I'll be attempting similar things with the enduros, and will write-up those races, win or lose!

Back