no wheels.. just controllers...

• Thread starter uglyDRIFT
  • 75 comments

uglyDRIFT

(Banned)
just wondering who all out there uses the regular old controler to drift!?? i know a lot of people on here got that nice $150 wheel with force feedback and 900 degree steering or whatever..... but im not so lucky as to have that..... just yet!! so i just use my good trusted analog stick and buttons.... anyone else??

The steering in general on the normal ps2 controllers is extremely twitchy compared to GT3. I will definitely be picking up the GT4 oriented wheel soon.

since the ds2 in gt4 will not straighten the steering itself after countering
there were rumours to be said that if u were to put a rubber band to tie the analog stick to make it stay there some how......it's easier to straighten it that way due to the analog's moving area is a circle, the rubber band will help the analog stick to return back to its position at a much faster rate, i think it was said in some part in this gt4 forum......search of it
i'm not too sure how to explain that correctly.......but hope u guys can understand the concept

HKS-NOB
since the ds2 in gt4 will not straighten the steering itself after countering
there were rumours to be said that if u were to put a rubber band to tie the analog stick to make it stay there some how......it's easier to straighten it that way due to the analog's moving area is a circle, the rubber band will help the analog stick to return back to its position at a much faster rate, i think it was said in some part in this gt4 forum......search of it
i'm not too sure how to explain that correctly.......but hope u guys can understand the concept

yeah it what are u talking about? im using the DFPro and it hard as hell to drift, i was using the DS2 over my riends house and it straightens the wheel for you... Its easier to drift in my opinion with the DS2....

exhaust_note
yeah it what are u talking about? im using the DFPro and it hard as hell to drift, i was using the DS2 over my riends house and it straightens the wheel for you... Its easier to drift in my opinion with the DS2....
lol, I agree

exhaust_note

I have the Driving Force and the counter steer is beyond sensitive. Also, it doesn't automatically center your wheel. That can come it quite handy sometimes.

I'll have to agree with Exhaust and NK. I know that everyone thinks that a wheel makes everything easier. Well, the fact is it doesn't! It actually makes it more challenging because you have to be more precise with your inputs on the wheel and pedals then you do with a DS2. Having said that, I'll still never go back to the DS2 if I can avoid it. :cool:

I'm a poor, non-working student, so I rock the DS2 still. Still works great for me, a wheel would just be a novelty. Plus I'm already so used to the controller.

i'm using the DS2 and i'm saving money for the PSP or the DFP, i can't make up my mind cause i really want to drift in the GT4 w/ the PSP in a boring class but i really want to use the wheel....oh well

I'm not only using a controller, I'm using one the dog got ahold of when it was a puppy. The left analog rubber pad is torn half off, lol, teeth marks in it and the shoulder buttons - it has character!

I've got two wheels one for the PS (MadCatz) and one for the PS2 (DF) and I've always stuck with a DS controller. Too much work and oddly more fun than a wheel. :dopey:👍

I'm using the ds2 too. The only problem i have is countersteering. Jerks my car in that direction of the steering direction when i'm drifting.

Drifter K
I'm using the ds2 too. The only problem i have is countersteering. Jerks my car in that direction of the steering direction when i'm drifting.

same here, I think everybody is having a hard time with this.

boostcreep
I'm a poor, non-working student, so I rock the DS2 still. Still works great for me, a wheel would just be a novelty. Plus I'm already so used to the controller.
I'm in the same boat as you 👍

Swift
I have the Driving Force and the counter steer is beyond sensitive. Also, it doesn't automatically center your wheel. That can come it quite handy sometimes.

I'll have to agree with Exhaust and NK. I know that everyone thinks that a wheel makes everything easier. Well, the fact is it doesn't! It actually makes it more challenging because you have to be more precise with your inputs on the wheel and pedals then you do with a DS2. Having said that, I'll still never go back to the DS2 if I can avoid it. :cool:

I completely and utterly agree, i've been drifting for sometime and griping for much much longer, however i've been using the DS for ever and just picked up the DFP. I mean WOW the physics are utterly fantastic. In order to drift with the wheel you gotta be good, i mean really good, i've been practicing but more so just practicing keeping control through the turns with grip characteristics and giving my rear a slight kick to feel out the counter steer.

Let me just say anyone looking to get the DFP it is really great and you'll be fustrated many of times tryign to whip the wheel 900 degrees like in real life. I mean if your not fast enough and precise enough you aint drifting anywhere .. LOL good luck fellas "Keep Drivin"

steering wheel waste of money.... plus you look like a fuggin' dork in front of the TV with wheel... i'm rockin' the controller. But dayum my thumbs hurt.

MasterDriver
I completely and utterly agree, i've been drifting for sometime and griping for much much longer, however i've been using the DS for ever and just picked up the DFP. I mean WOW the physics are utterly fantastic. In order to drift with the wheel you gotta be good, i mean really good, i've been practicing but more so just practicing keeping control through the turns with grip characteristics and giving my rear a slight kick to feel out the counter steer.

Let me just say anyone looking to get the DFP it is really great and you'll be fustrated many of times tryign to whip the wheel 900 degrees like in real life. I mean if your not fast enough and precise enough you aint drifting anywhere .. LOL good luck fellas "Keep Drivin"

How long you been drifting... and are you talking in real life or video game??
I mean if your just talking about the lil wheel in front of the TV dayumn you got some language for it. :dopey: :lol: :odd:

lowviscosity
steering wheel waste of money.... plus you look like a fuggin' dork in front of the TV with wheel... i'm rockin' the controller. But dayum my thumbs hurt.

I'd have to agree here. I mean, this is a game. I have used a wheel several times on other games, but for me, busting a quick race is a matter of picking up the controller. I have a USB wheel for the PC, and I started to think about whether it would set up, but its just not worth the effort when I like the DS2 just fine and have been "rockin'" it since GT debuted.

My .02 though.

DS2 due to poorness. Though I feel I'd do much better with a wheel. I have one, but it's for GT1, and works like crap for GT3/4.

I should get someone to record me drifting the 360 Challenge Stradale at the mall. (Ferrari Challenge's cockpit is awesome!)

I think if I ever get the cash for a DFP, I'll tear a seat out of my Bronco II (bound for the scrap heap) and start fabrication. I can't even afford to junk the thing, much less buy the wheel. :indiff:

I play the 360 challenege to, I love the shifting tho when I go down sometimes it goes to the wrong gear, btw I ordered the gt3 wheel last night so wheel see what I like better.

Back