How do you guys get gold in the Licences

• Thread starter eastley
  • 134 comments
eastley
Hey everyone, I have owned every GT game over the years and have never been able to pass every licence test. But some of you get gold in them all.

How do you do it?

In GT3 I have 8 S licences to get on my girl friends game save but my save has all licences done cause I got his game save off him.

However I am not a poor driver at all, I cant do the licences but during a race I am pretty good. In my home town out of 100's of people I won the GT3 competition but they can all pass the liceneces and I can't.

What on earth is wrong with me?

I get GT4 in 2 days and can't wait.

It's been noted, that the License tests don't always teach you the best way to drive. What it takes, is exactly what the demo shows. There is a little bit of room for error or modification, but if you follow the demo, and practice it, you'll eventually Gold the license. Have you spent 3 hours on one test?

I have.

Now keep in mind, that some of the fastest guys and gal here have lots of practice. Amazing amounts of practice. THey concentrate, they observe, they review their replays. Utilizing all aspects of the tools provided in this game.

AO

I'm not sure about all golds, but it didnt take much for me to silver every license i've done so far. (B, A, iB)

Just work and work and you'll get it. Heck, it was a challenge at times to even get silver!

Acid X
I'm not sure about all golds, but it didnt take much for me to silver every license i've done so far. (B, A, iB)

Just work and work and you'll get it. Heck, it was a challenge at times to even get silver!
Like the Audi TT test at Nurburgring. A-14 I think. It took me 30 mins to get silver. What about gold? :grumpy:

Well liek I said earlier I haven't even passed the Super Licence in GT3 yet.

I do practice heaps and sometimes I spend hours on a licence.

And my friend who have gold in there GT3 licence test I beat easily.

I get GT4 in about 36 hours so all good. Although I dont have a steering wheel, is it easier with a wheel? If I get one it'll only be the Normal DF.

Save for the DFP. It's supposedly awesome. I wouldnt go without the 900 degrees anyways. I'm just a regular DS user, though. :\

Thats a question that i have for some time now,especially when i see at members' signature the magic phrase "all golds". Anyway,i find it irritating to practice 2 hours just to pass a licence test in gold,but i think that some tests can be passed easier with a DFP,and thats exactly the way that i am gonna act from now on.-When the thing is going to be delivered...

eastley
.... Although I dont have a steering wheel, is it easier with a wheel? If I get one it'll only be the Normal DF....
I have had the DFP for over two months now, and some of the license tests are certainly more enjoyable, and in a sense, easier with the wheel, but I found it much easier to Gold the rally tests that I have encountered so far with the DS2 controller.
I suppose that I'll get better with the wheel the more that I use it, but on rally tracks and some city courses, I can manage better lines and times with the DS2.

I can usually get all 60 golds in GT2 in about 3-4 hours ... Would probably be 2-3 hours if it weren't for some pain-in-the-ass tests (i.e. Camaro blind) that consume like 15-30 minutes alone ...

eastley
I am unable to save for the DFP, only option I have is credit card but I can't really pay that off.
£100 on a credit card = maybe £2 or £3 a month interest...can't you afford that?! Sure, it'll take ages to pay off at that rate, but at least you can spread the payments thin. Think for the moment, not the future!!

Trust me, I nearly got killed in an accident a few years back, and life has never been the same since. I have little regard for forward thinking and just live for the moment - much more exciting and rewarding!

As for getting all gold in the licences, I've never bothered trying. I normally have a spread of a few gold, mostly silver, and the odd bronze. As long as I get the licence to race a particular event - who cares?!

However, if you've got the patience, skill, and determination to get all gold - respect!

Nomino
£100 on a credit card = maybe £2 or £3 a month interest...can't you afford that?! Sure, it'll take ages to pay off at that rate, but at least you can spread the payments thin. Think for the moment, not the future!!

Trust me, I nearly got killed in an accident a few years back, and life has never been the same since. I have little regard for forward thinking and just live for the moment - much more exciting and rewarding!

As for getting all gold in the licences, I've never bothered trying. I normally have a spread of a few gold, mostly silver, and the odd bronze. As long as I get the licence to race a particular event - who cares?!

However, if you've got the patience, skill, and determination to get all gold - respect!

Well my girl friend has the card not me, as I ain't allowed to have one is I actually don't earn enough. The card she has, has got 27% interest. Which is pretty high but I'm in Tasmania, Australia everything is dearer down here. The GT4 + DFP pack is $300 I believe.

I have no idea how i will fare with the GT4 licence tests, it took my about 5 hours to bronze the last S licence in GT3 yet i managed all gold's in GT4 Prologue, i don't know wheteher they were easier or i just got loads better over the years. I am hoping that GT4's are no more difficult than Prologues so that i can get the cars from them.

911_gt3_rs
I have no idea how i will fare with the GT4 licence tests, it took my about 5 hours to bronze the last S licence in GT3 yet i managed all gold's in GT4 Prologue, i don't know wheteher they were easier or i just got loads better over the years. I am hoping that GT4's are no more difficult than Prologues so that i can get the cars from them.

I'm just doing the GT3 Super Licence now, I have all bronze but am stuck on the last one.

Its just crazy to obtain gold in 3-4hours. I can't make that up for my self. When I have bronze, I sometimes try to get for silver but when it takes to long, I go to the next one.

Because you can reach the 100% with all bronze, it is just for the extra cars you have to get gold so it isn't necessary for completing the game.

eastley
Well my girl friend has the card not me, as I ain't allowed to have one is I actually don't earn enough. The card she has, has got 27% interest. Which is pretty high but I'm in Tasmania, Australia everything is dearer down here. The GT4 + DFP pack is $300 I believe.

P = [(1+r/n) - 1]*A*(1+r/n)^nt/[(1+r/n)^nt - 1]

A = $300
r = 27% (0.27)
n = 12 months
t = 1 year
P = monthly payment

P = [(1+0.27/12) - 1]*300*(1+0.27/12)^12/[1+0.27/12)^12 - 1]
P = 0.0225*300*1.0225^12/0.30605
P = $28.80522 per month

12*28.80522 = $345.66

So you'd only pay about $45.66 extra to get it now if you make monthly payments of $28.81 for a year ...

Here's a breakdown of your monthly costs ...

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fina...n&C=300&P=28.8052204641&r=0.0225&N=12&Rate=27

Jmac279
P = [(1+r/n) - 1]*A*(1+r/n)^nt/[(1+r/n)^nt - 1]

A = $300
r = 27% (0.27)
n = 12 months
t = 1 year
P = monthly payment

P = [(1+0.27/12) - 1]*300*(1+0.27/12)^12/[1+0.27/12)^12 - 1]
P = 0.0225*300*1.0225^12/0.30605
P = $28.80522 per month

12*28.80522 = $345.66

So you'd only pay about $45.66 extra to get it now if you make monthly payments of $28.81 for a year ...

Oh forgot to mention on that Credit we also have $1200 to pay off. but thats interest free until next March.

eastley
Oh forgot to mention on that Credit we also have $1200 to pay off. but thats interest free until next March.
It's probably not interest free ;)

They probably just won't charge you the interest if you pay it off by March like most credit card companies ... So, if you miss the March deadline, you'll have to pay all the interest accumulated in that duration ...

I have several friends who thought their credit cards were "interest-free" for 6 or 12 months, but then they didn't pay off the balance in that time and some of them got charged literally hundreds of dollars in interest ... Easy way to go into debt ...

If you've got money on the credit card, don't buy the DFP ...

Gotta love credit card companies. I wish I could cancel all of mine, but they are too convenient too often. But the card companies hate me anyway, they consider me a "deadbeat" because I pay off my balance every month, so they don't make any money from me.

As far as the license tests, I get silver pretty much on the first try of every test. But getting Gold is a different story. If there are some tests where I am silver but very close to gold, then I will try for Gold and usually get it after 5-10 attempts. If I am like 1.5 seconds off of the Gold time with my Silver time, I give it one or two tries to see if I messed up somewhere. If by then I'm not a lot closer to Gold, then I move on to the next thing.

But, I have to admit, I didn't stop until I had gold for the S-license tests with the Bentley Speed 8 and the Audi R8. I still can't get enough of driving those cars. They are awesome.

Golds is more of a patience thing then anything eles. GT3 I set out for all golds and was doing fairly well until I hit a snag. I put about an hour and half of time into it spread out over a few days and then I said the hell with it. Patience, dedication, and replays is key.

eastley
I'm just doing the GT3 Super Licence now, I have all bronze but am stuck on the last one.

If I recall correctly, that's a lap around Cote d'Azure in the Toyota GT-One. Maybe you already know this, but this test is MUCH easier using the manual transmission, and once you start, don't ever drop below 3rd Gear. That car gets way too much wheel spin in 1st or 2nd Gear, and it is very difficult to control around the tightest corners.

Der Alta
It's been noted, that the License tests don't always teach you the best way to drive. What it takes, is exactly what the demo shows.

I have to wonder how this could be... Virtually every license test in all of the GTs so far has been a driving situation (with no other cars involved) which measures getting from Point A to Point B as fast as possible. What is the "best way to drive" if it's not getting from Point A to Point B as fast as possible?

The only exceptions, if I'm not mistaken, are the various tests which require you to stop in a certain area and the guided pace laps in GT4. Both of those also teach a useful skill -- at least in theory. The braking tests are similar to what a driver does when making a pit stop -- go as fast as possible and brake at the last moment, coming to a complete stop in the pit box. Admittedly, most race series do impose a pit lane speed limit -- but does anyone remember when F1 had no pit lane speed limit? (And of course, all of the GT games take control of your car in the pit lane, so you can't actually practice this skill in a race...)

The guided pace laps in GT4 in theory should test your ability to follow another car -- how to run fast when trailing the leader, including drafting and not letting the leader's actions distract you from your own driving. In practice, the pace car isn't fast enough to stay out of the way sometimes, which can be frustrating...

TigJackson
If I recall correctly, that's a lap around Cote d'Azure in the Toyota GT-One. Maybe you already know this, but this test is MUCH easier using the manual transmission, and once you start, don't ever drop below 3rd Gear. That car gets way too much wheel spin in 1st or 2nd Gear, and it is very difficult to control around the tightest corners.

That's interesting. I switched over from the digital throttle (buttons) to the analog stick and was able to cut a very very quick Gold lap, but it was tedious. My thumb was tired after just that lap because I had to concentrate so much on not letting too much throttle spin the wheels. 👍

TigJackson

LMAO after 2 hours of trying I coudln't get it. Just changed to manual and BAM second go. I was only out by .128 the first go.

Thank you man, i was nearly crushing my controller to pieces cause I was getting pissed off.

I found most of the test in GT4 to be easier than test from previous games. In the previous tests, I never even got silver on all of the test, I set out on GT4 with the intention of getting all Silver and got it on the first two tests very easily, I gave up on that at the Coffee Break for the third test, thinking that the Coffee Breaks still had to be silvered to get the extra car. :crazy: But judging by my times, I think I could've silvered the other International tests with some practice.

My biggest gripe with the GT4 tests is the pace car. I don't have a problem with the idea of the pace car, actually I liked the idea of a guide through the new courses. I think it's OK that if you hit or pass it you fail. I just wish they hadn't put a red stripe around the car at tail-light level. On a 27" TV it's too hard to see his brake lights. Maybe if the blue lights on top turned red when he hit the brakes...

4 ingredients to getting gold:

1- Seat time
2- Recognize where your mistakes are by analysing your replay vs. the demos
3- Understanding how to correct your mistakes
4- Execute your correction (this is the tough part)
5- Seat time
6- More seat time

Okay, that was 6. :)

The most important function of the tests is to teach you how to recognize mistakes. The idea is if you can learn to look at your own driving in a critical manner during the tests, then you are then armed with the knowledge and ability to continue improving as a driver. You should always walk away from a test having learned something; if not about general vehicle dynamics, then at least about the car you're driving.

Mario Andretti once said the difference between good drivers and great ones is the great ones see their mistakes much earlier than the merely good. IMO, this is what the tests are all about.

M

Manual is always faster than automatic, IMO There was a guy on the GT3times message boards that used to swear by auto and always posted great times so I believed him. 'til I started posting better times with manual. I got all golds on GT3, and like Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption, "pressure and time". That's what getting all golds is about.

The license test I had the most problem with was the Chamonix one on the S license. I spent ages trying to do it. I had a break, came back to it and drove slower!!! I passed at the second attempt.

Mezar5
Manual is always faster than automatic, IMO There was a guy on the GT3times message boards that used to swear by auto and always posted great times so I believed him. 'til I started posting better times with manual. I got all golds on GT3, and like Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption, "pressure and time". That's what getting all golds is about.

Yep Manual was so much easier that last test. I could probably go for Silver if I wanted to but its 2AM and i'm off to bed.

Catch ya's all.

Has anyone written up a Licence how to on GT4 yet?

Back