• 55 comments
The Ring:

1st: VW Kaarmann Ghia Coupe (Type 1) A968
2nd: Fiat 500F 1965
3rd: Honda S800 1966
4th: Alfa Romeo Giula sPRINT gta 1600 1965
5th: Mini Marcos GT 1970
6th: Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-B (S54A) 1967 <---- Me

My Skyline has 143Bhp with the following mods : Racing Exhaust, Racing Chip, Racing Breaks, and full transmission.

Pit Stratagies:

Me = Every 4 laps
Mini Marcos = Every 6 Laps
VW = Every 6 Laps
Alfa = Every 8 Laps
S800 = Every 11 Laps
Fiat = Every 11 Laps

Let The Race Begin

Lap1:
The Lafa takes off and pulls out a 5 seconds lead right form the off, all this while im trying to force my way through the field. By the time we reach the Carousel I'm on his tail and overtake him just after.

Lap2:
As i begin lap 2 I'm just 2 seconds ahead of the Alfa and the Mini Marcos which has also caught me up. One thing is obvious already, that the Fiat is a no hoper just making up the numbers as its already looks over a minute down. By the time I hit the mini-carousel ive hit the grass a few times and the Mini Marcos has taken 1st from me but on the long straight i slipstream and take my 1st back from him.

Lap3:
It doesnt seem like im going to shake the Marcos or Alfa as they stick with me the biggest gap i pull out is 7 seconds.

Positions on lap 3: Me 1st, Marcos = 7seconds back, Alfa = 7.5seconds back, S800 = 17.5seconds back, VW = 30seconds back and finally the Fiat = 5mins 23 seconds back (just starting lap 3)

Lap4:
A 9min 38.146 seconds lap which im pleased with begins this lap, though i now have yellow front tires but a third of the away round my fronts are orange. Will i stay in 1st place? Ive managed to pull out an 18second lead as i fly into the pits with red tires, though i do not take on fuel just the new tires.

Lap5:
After my stop im down to 3rd but im less than 5 seconds off the lead, though as i push a bit to hard i lose a further two but by the carousel im close enough to take both the Marcos and Alfa on one corner, as i do this i catch a glimpse of a car infront of me, its the Fiat so with a new fastest lap of 9mins 28.766seconds i put the Fiat one lap down.

Lap6:
A Truely awful lap as i spend more time on the grass than all the previuos laps combined. The Mini Marcos decides to pit here but the Alfa keeps chasing me, back in 5th place the VW also pits.

Lap7:
An uneventfal lap here as i just kept 10-13 seconds ahead throughtout the entire lap no mistakes and an average lap time.

Lap8:
The Alfa still hasn't pitted so he's done about 90 miles on one set of tires! I get to the long straight with red tires and a half empty (or is it half full?) fuel tank. Pit time but i just want some new boots, and finally the Alfa decides to follow me into the pits so im going to do twice as many stops as him!

Lap9:
Only one thing to really mention on this lap is that the Alfa doesnt seem to be able to handle new tires at all as i pull a further 14 seconds ahead.

Lap10:
That poor lonely Fiat is oncer again laspped as i do a 9min 29.202sec lap only my seconds lap under 9:30 begins my 11th lap.

Lap11:
By split section T4 i spot the S800 infront of me but as i approach it, it decides to spin infront of me. The Fiat and S800 both pit but what is wrong with the Alfa? Since it pitted its lost a huge 40 seconds on me.

Lap12:
My pit lap and i decide to get some fuel this time as my fuel gauge is now RED and has just two bars. An ok lap with the standard on the grass incidents. Both the Marcos and VW pit as expected.

Lap13:
Race Standing it halfway: 1st = Me, 2nd = Alfa, 3rd = Marcos. 4th = VW, 5th = S800, 6th = Fiat.
I come out of the pits just 14seconds ahead as ive just taken on tires again but my lead is cut to 7secs as my tires arn't warm yet.

Lap14:
I manage to extend my lead to 10seconds before putting that pityful Fiat three laps behind. Thanks to the Fiat holding up the Alfa i gain another 12seconds and set a new lap record of 9mins 26.406secs.

Lap15:
Extened my lead again up to 36seconds with another sub 9min 27sec lap. Both me and the Alfa pit on the next lap but is the tace gonna stay this way?

Lap16:
After a lot of consideration i take on some fuel in this stop just to make sure i make it to the next pit. Im currently 37seconds ahead. If it stays at this pace with my one extra pitstop i should hopefully win by 15seconds there or there abouts.

Lap17:
As i exit the pits the Alfa is just entering them, i seem to have gained another 3 seconds on the pitstop alone so it seems to me as if the Alfa has decided its happpy with 2nd place.

Lap18:
A super lap as my tires kick in properly a 9min 26.821sec lap and the Fiat is lapped again. The Marcos and VW ocne again pit as expected.

Lap19:
3hour update: 18Laps + carousel complete which = 235 miles. My lead is about 1minute 5seconds. Now i decide to hunt down the VW infront of me on the map but ill take it a little easier in my last stint.

Lap20:
Didnt manage to catch the VW on that lap so i pit and decide to attack for 2 laps and then calm it down and cruise to the finish.

Lap21:
Boring average lap here no time gained no time lost.

Lap22:
The VW is lapped so its time to slow it down a bit as i want my tires to last 5 laps instead of the usual 4.

Lap23:
Even at a conservatie pace that useless Fiat is lapped again with my shoddy 9min 55second lap.

Lap24:
I should pit after this lap but why bother, with just one lap after it. The Marcos takes its last stop as does the Alfa. Victory appears to be mine now.

Final Lap:
I have red tires as i start the lap so i was pretty much doomed, this lap was obviously the worst of them all and an entire MINUTE slower than my normal laps but victory is mine.

Total time : 4hours 2 Minutes 43seconds
Average Lap time: Around 10mins

Final positions:

1st: Me
2nd: Alfa
3rd: Marcos
4th: VW 1 lap behind
5th: S800 1 lap behind
6th: Fiat 4 laps down

4 hours in a sub 150bhp car was the longest 4 hours of my life, but it was worth it :D

Thanks for the writeup. I'm planning on running my first 1K race soon, and it's good to hear what the competition looks like.

i finished that race in 45 min. easy just do one lap go to pit and choose b spec mode and fast forward the comp will pit when it needs to. lol to boring to do 25 laps of that.

nissan z fan
i finished that race in 45 min. easy just do one lap go to pit and choose b spec mode and fast forward the comp will pit when it needs to. lol to boring to do 25 laps of that.

Amazing achievment! only 45minutes why even bother doing the one lap? just b-sepc it from the start?

For me it did seem to make me learn the track, made me work out where i could actuallyu go into corners at full speed and manage to brake for the turn after.

Hell it helped me beat the SLR Mclaren with a Merc with half its BHP!

Interesting and painful way to learn the details of a track with a car like that for over 4hours. :ill: However it seems it worth it not blinding thru every corner and F1 speeds help you learn the fine details of every corner of the track. Guess I'm using a GTS RWD Skyline for this race to have "fun" for 25 laps on the Ring. :)

What the computer pits when it needs to?? I JUST did that race (and I just joined this site) ...I'm now at 40%. I used my E - type and I ravaged them so bad, but I had to pit every 2 laps. Won by 2 laps.

I think the guy did a spec the first lap because the computer sucks at passing the other cars.

press triangle and the comp passes the cars fast and easily and u have to do one lap or just turn around to go too the pit. but i b-spec on all the races and pressed r1 to bring up menu and then pressed L1 to fast forward X3 and beat the tourny in just 1 hr and a half its kinda cheap but it works

Personally, I'm not going to b-spec any race until I've won it in a-spec first. This is going to get tougher as I hit the endurance races, but it's a general principle I've been working with through the 15% I've finished so far.

I want to make sure the computer will pit on its own, because I don't want to leave my PS2 alone and find out I lost a race because the AI freaked out on red tires for the last 30 laps of Race 2 (which I'm running now)

I've just started using B-Spec and i think it's pretty useful. You don't see anybody doing 24H races in real life with a solo driver =p. Anyways, b-spec driver seems to pit when ever the tires turn read or if he's low on gas. I've never had an issue with it really. Actually he finished the last hours of my 24 ring race. The only thing that sucks about b-spec mode is when you pit, it changes you back to the normal view. This means that the x3 fast forward is disabled during pits and you have to set it up again.

hi

i'm just doing the 1000 miles now... on race 3 at the mo

and i'm b spec'ing the lot LOL (reduced pace, med sports tyres), except i qualify to get pole

using AC cars 427 s/c '66... i left him doing the ring, came back ages later and found he was in 3rd place.... watched him for a few laps.... he crashes badly in one place when the rears get too red!! so i just kept an eye on him and pitted every 2 laps (he won easily then)

Gord

Great write up! Really helped me pick which car to do the race in, thankyou!

I opted for the Alfa Giulia GTA 136BHP with SH tyres Racing brakes & Exhaust, Full drivetrain mod, port polishing, balancing and chip & no ASM/TCS. Laps the ring at about 9:00 - 9:10, such a great handling car I must admit I could probably get away without the engine mods.

I had a dodgy moment when I missed the pit entrance and had to reverse back 50 yards or so to pit in :scared:

Great fun!!! 👍

I just ran the Circuit de la Sarthe race standalone as a trial in my AC 427. Wow, that's a fun race. That straightaway makes it practically custom-built for the AC 427. I had a full lap on my closest competitor, and 13 over the driver in last place.

Today I ran this race in championship mode.... I didn't really know the Nür very well when I started the race, but the final couple of laps I drifted at full speed through all corners (well, not too much because I have to think of my tires).

I used this car that I won before:

Alfa Romeo Giula sPRINT gta 1600 1965

My opponents were:

Fiat 500 (I lapped that sucker often)
2 crappy old skylines of which I forgot the exact specs.
Another Alfa Romeo Giula sPRINT gta 1600 1965
....And my worst enemy in this race: Mercedes Benz 300SL

I only got 7 a-spec points for winning this race but I had one hell of a lot of trouble trying to stay in front of that Mercedes. Especially the first 10 laps I often got passed by it and chased down, with a maximum of 5 seconds getting ahead of it. I was really afraid to lose the race at one slight mistake.

Fortunately the 300SL made a mistake (or not, but it was good for me), it pitted for the first time after 5 laps, I could really notice at the 5th lap that I was gaining time on him. We went into the pits at the same time and I won some time on him by not refuelling, only changing tires. After the 10th lap the Merc made a mistake, it went for a 6th lap with the same tires while I already had fresh ones. The next pitstop he did was after another 6 laps. Mainly because of him pitting too late I won the race with 2 minutes and 10 seconds ahead of him.... whew. Now I just hope I'll be able to win the other 3 as well...

I forgot my exact finish time, but it was about 3:53:xx

Phil McCavity
hi

i'm just doing the 1000 miles now... on race 3 at the mo

and i'm b spec'ing the lot LOL (reduced pace, med sports tyres), except i qualify to get pole

using AC cars 427 s/c '66... i left him doing the ring, came back ages later and found he was in 3rd place.... watched him for a few laps.... he crashes badly in one place when the rears get too red!! so i just kept an eye on him and pitted every 2 laps (he won easily then)

Gord
tis what I used however mine only dropped to second once. then i took a spec for 7 laps and got 2-3mins in front and b-speced the rest. man im thankful for b-spec the ring is good fun in a faster car agains hard competition but slow cars wit hno handling just bores me to sleep literally. I put it on b-spec and fell asleep only to be woken up by my phone

I just finished race 3..... did all of them in a-spec so far. After a while the Côte d'Azur track got boring, but I still had fun drifting around corners. My 155hp Alfa is great for doing that. :dopey: I like racing with these slower cars, but it isn't very hard to win with this car. The only competition I have from the Merc 300SL isn't much on those winding roads. Staying in front of it on Nür was much harder. I think I'll do the La Sarthe course tonight, hopefully those 35 laps will take less than 3 hours. :crazy:

:'(

I just entered the 4th race of the 1000 miles competition, thinking that I'd play it in A-Spec mode.... I did, but I found out it was Le Sarthe without chicanes, my car tops out at about 205 km/h while the 300sl easily gets up to 240 km/h.... of course on this track there is no point at even attempting to win this one now. Thank god I am 1st in all the other races so I'll still win, but it pisses me off that I can't win the entire tournament in a-spec. I am definitely not going to race a-spec for a guaranteed 2nd place, that's for sure.

If I'd have known it was this track I would have lengthened out the 4th and 5th gears of my old rusty alfa romeo. :(

Thats why im glad i didnt get to difficult competition, would be a complete annoyance if id drawn the Cobra, 300sl, or the E Type. I guess its just luck of the draw. Then again i went into the Pro Classic car races with a fully tweaked Mercury Couger expecting atleast 3 muscle cars and either the 300sl or the E type and my nearest competition was a 1954 Chevy!

nissan z fan

ROFL u legend! I was in A-spec 2nd lap until I saw your entry, I immediately pitted in (I actually missed the pit because I didn't know where it was, so I reversed for about 20 seconds, thats how desparate I was to try b spec) now Im in b spec FF x 3, pit in ever 3 laps Medium Sport Tyres on the Jag E class (all mods 400+hp), Increased Pace + overtake enabled 👍 Can't wait for the benjamins to start rolling in woohoo 👍 👍 💡

smellysocks12
I just finished race 3..... did all of them in a-spec so far. After a while the Côte d'Azur track got boring, but I still had fun drifting around corners. My 155hp Alfa is great for doing that. :dopey: I like racing with these slower cars, but it isn't very hard to win with this car. The only competition I have from the Merc 300SL isn't much on those winding roads. Staying in front of it on Nür was much harder. I think I'll do the La Sarthe course tonight, hopefully those 35 laps will take less than 3 hours. :crazy:

Is it possible to do a save during the 1000 miles champ. race?, or do I have to leave my PS2 on for 4 days, go to work, play for 4 hours, go to work...etc. I am 30 laps into the third race and my machine has been on for 3 days. What are the details of the 4th and 5th race. I will finish this race even if it drives me crazy...aaaggghhh! :crazy:

papasevier
Is it possible to do a save during the 1000 miles champ. race?, or do I have to leave my PS2 on for 4 days, go to work, play for 4 hours, go to work...etc. I am 30 laps into the third race and my machine has been on for 3 days. What are the details of the 4th and 5th race. I will finish this race even if it drives me crazy...aaaggghhh! :crazy:

Once you finished a race you can go back to the main menu, it will auto save (you see the little icon flickering once you do so). After that is done you can switch off the PS2, next time you play again it will show that you are still in the 1000 Miles competition, when you try to do something else it tells you that you are still in that championship and whether you would like to start the next race.

I don't know what car you have, or which competition you have in your championship, but if you are up against a jag or merc 300sl make sure that your car's top speed is above 240 km/h. If it is slower than that trying to win the 4th race is a lost cause. If necessary stretch out the gear ratios, top speed is way more important since it is the La Sarthe II track with a 6 km long straight piece of road. There only are 4 races.

If the only stiff competition comes from the merc 300SL and your own car is a bit "weedy" why not re-load the race until the field is weaker??? The differences between the grids in some races can be startling...

I used the GINETTA G4 '64 for the first 1000 mile race at the Ring last night. I wasn't really paying attention to the event, I just saw one that my car fit for so I thought I'd enter it. Seeing the required 25 laps got my attention quickly though! My hand was already sore from all the GT4 I'd been playing recently, so the 3+ hours at the Ring didn't help matters much. I"m glad you can save after each race, although I'd prefer you be able to save when you pit. The Ginetta is a pretty fun car. I havn't modded it, so it still has it's little 96hp, but it did well enough to lap the field multiple times (except the #2 car) and run 8min53sec laps. I'll bet it's even more fun when it's decked out.

I can deal with these 3-4 hour races, but I feel the 24hr events are excessive and unnecessary.

I thought you couldn't enter Home during a championship, though I haven't tried to yet. Can you save in your Home or do you have to set Autosave to Always?

Great. That means I can actually do the 1000 Miles in A-Spec without leaving my PS2 on forever. 👍

Back