Mission Accomplished.

• Thread starter dori-san
  • 108 comments
GrahamTurismo
March 19th, 2005. I started around midnight with more practice runs on the Ring and more tweaking the settings of my practice car to get it more squirly like the test car. By and by, I drove into the night, and finally about 3:30am I got a good run where, for the first time, I actually saw the first car right at the end of Klostertal (right hairpin before Karussell). I came to hot into Klostertal though, and locked the brakes understeering and slamming the outer wall giving me a 5sec. I couldn't catch him for a while after that, and I think I spun out or messed up at Pflanzgarten (I think that's the two rights just after that little dip that you gotta take at about 90-95mph). He passed me back and I gave up. Then I began what would be my final run, it was nearing 3:45 and I was getting fed up. I told myself "This is it! The last one! If I don't get it now, I'm freaking going to bed already!"

Lined up at the grid I waited the painstaking 2min3sec before starting. I began, producing a very smooth run and slipping across the grass at one of the chicane-like turns I finally came upon the first checkpoint, passing it at 1'49.078 ...0.8 seconds faster than Samberto's split.

Over the jump and around the 2 slight rights (Flugplatz?) at about 120mph, and through the rest of the bends clearing the next jump and peaking at 179mph before getting on the brakes for the quickly upcoming left. Back on the gas I got for a brief moment before getting on the brakes again, all the way down to 61mph, for the hard right and back on the gas to cross the second CP for a split time of 1'40.018; again 0.8 seconds ahead of Samberto.

Off I sped, weaving through the downhill turns maxing out at 172mph and up the leftward incline slowing down for the upcoming chicane. Where many people cut across the grass here and you'd think I would since I cut before, I did not. I slowed to 51mph in 2nd and through it I went, all along the tarmac. (After so many practice runs I just decided that it was smoother and faster, FOR ME, to not cut the grass there).

Coming out of the chicane, I shifted into 3rd @ 94mph JUST as I crossed CP#3 for a split time of 1'32.253 ...still about 0.7 quicker than Samberto. Staying in 3rd, I made it to 145mph before slowing for the tightening left and then down to 56mph for the S-turn. Back up momentarily to 103mph only to back down to 56mph for the sharp right. I cruised along, letting off temporarily for the S-turn and then slowing down to 90mph to clear the multiple rights without going into the grass. (Grr! I've cleared those rights slowing only to 96mph before). On the brakes for the next chicane, which I still have no clue as to the best way to take it, I jerked the ebrake a tad to help point me towards the exit.

I wouldn't say the ebrake move was detrimental to my speed or time as I had to slow down anyway, so I might as well get a little more assistance pointing in the proper direction for a decent exit. I slowed down to a low 40mph keeping it in 2nd, and shifting to 3rd slightly before the CP, which I crossed going 95mph at 1'19.468 away from the lead. This was the first CP where I was slower than Samberto, however it was only by 0.2 seconds. All the way up to 128mph the speedometer climbed before dropping to 68 for the downshift to 2nd to clear the next two lefts. Keeping it in that gear, I ran it into the red at a top speed of 96mph before slowing again for the uphill right which should be take at about 75ish. Then soon after came the J-shaped turn where I slowed it from 142mph to 63mph before the first apex, then applying the throttle smoothly all the way through, brushing the outer rumble strip to use the full track width...maximizing acceleration through the turn. Crossing the next CP at 125mph, I was back under Samberto's split, but only by 0.15 with a time of 1'06.563. Now I have come upon the 'backstraight' if you can call this section that, it's pretty curvy but still straighter that what I've spent the last 60 seconds driving through. Reaching a top speed of 168mph I then got on the brakes and misjudged the next turn. (When executed well, I've taken this turn at 125+mph) I didn't slow down quick enough and understeered off the track, luckily I just nudged the wall slightly and only dropped down to 95mph but I quickly regained my composure and got back on the track to pass through CP#6 with a split time of 0'55.651 away from the 300 SL.

This one hurt my time, I was 0.45 seconds SLOWER than Samberto here. I got through the next turn only letting off a bit and then slowed all the way to 39mph for Klostertal. I shifted into 1st for less than a second, just to help me slow down a little quicker, and then I got back on it to find the SL65 in my sights.

Being so excited at this point and not wanting to let such a bad run go to waste, I was not about to try slowing down to follow him or run the risk of hitting him for a penalty at Karussell. So I wallrode all the way through, which is great if you've spent a whole frustrating week trying to complete this final mission. Because taking it legit means you gotta go through there at about 45mph or you'll throw yourself out of the bank and understeer, but wallriding should get you through there at speeds no less than 60mph. Heading into the next couple of rights as he was just coming out of the bank of Karussell, I quickly pulled away from him.

I reached 125mph before letting off slightly for the next left and instead of taking the following right properly, I braked slightly and then cut across the grassy hill to save a bit of time... sliding back onto the road just in time to brake down to 64mph for the upcoming quick right.

I passed the seventh checkpoint at 0'39.911 off the lead, this is just over 0.6 seconds slower than Samberto. All my following CP times are slower than his, however I still won. Braking through the next few bends and coming out with a decent exit speed I reached 112mph just before slowing to 81mph for the uphill right. The next sequence of two lefts can be taken around 80mph or so all the way through, but I prefer the 'slow in, fast out' method and dropped it to 75mph to get it up to 98mph before the next right. I am closing in on the SL500 at this point. Got a decent exit speed there too and got it up to 100mph and then slowed to 62mph for the next wide right. I jumped in front of the SL500 just before jumping on the brakes to take the next left at 66mph. I feel fortunate that he saw my pass coming and anticipated it enough to not slam into me after cutting him off to jam my red lights right in his face. This shows me that the AI has in fact been improved upon.

A little too much gas out of that corner and to quick on it to complete the turn I just missed the following slight right and ended up slipping into the grass again on accident.

I got back on the road and passed through CP#8 with a split time of 0'31.463, less than 0.2 seconds slower than Samberto. Flying down through the next turn and up to 132mph before braking and hopping down the little dip to coast through the next pair of rights around 90mph. Dropping it do 2nd midway through those turns to accelerate quicker out of them and heading down the leftward dip I lifted off and screeched through the following right at 132mph. Too quick on the gas though and I was off into the grass for the 3rd unintentional time this run. Passing through checkpoint number nine right before I went into the grass, I claimed a split of 25.373 which is just 0.07 slower than Samberto.

Not slowing up a bit from the mistake, I made it back onto the road and up to 154mph before slowing down to about 95mph for the easy right turn and then down to 72mph for the next left (a bit slower than a good run). Coming a little too hot into the Schwalbenschwanz bank, I barely kept my inside tires in the bank.

I got good exit speed and I spotted the 190 E, closing in on him around the long curve of Galgenkopf (this was one of the harder turns to master for me, I just never really knew what speed to take it at). Around 80-90 through this turn is good, it gets a bit tricky because it starts to unwind and then tightens again just past a small hill, providing you with understeer unless you know what's coming and adjust your speed accordingly. I passed the 190 E and had a pretty big gap on him by the time I passed CP#10. My split from the 300 SL here was 0'14.106, more than 0.8 seconds slower than Samberto here but still way ahead of the 190 E.

Upon reaching the highest speed of 195mph on the long final straight I slid past the SLK 230 at the end of the straight right after the final checkpoint, which I came up almost 0.9 seconds shy of Samberto with a time of 0'05.780.

Braking too late after passing him I nearly lost control, but instead of spinning out or anything I just went across the grass on the right for my 4th and final episode of leaving the track accidentally. It actually ended up being good because I carried a bit more speed up to the next turn than I would have sacrificed by braking for that little bend back there.

I caught a glimpse of the 300 SL going through the final esses just before stabbing the brakes to bring the car down to 58mph for the hard right, and the providing careful throttle and braking control through the next left then right. I ended up turning in too early for the final right, but luckily I ended up with just the exit speed I needed to pass the 300 SL and cross the finish line 0.383 seconds ahead with a final time of 9'12.530.

All 80 Licenses are golded and All 34 Missions completed.

140 days into the game
5.7% finished
8500 A Spec points
0 miles A/B Spec
282,500 credits
20 free cars
NO money or licenses transferred

I hope you all have enjoyed my little story here, and I also hope you apreciate that I have pictures to go along with it... AND the rediculous amount of time I spent getting the little map onto each picture to show where I was. I can provide any of the pictures larger and unedited upon request. As promised in the Mission Hall Thread:

THE VIDEO IS HERE!

RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS! 128mb, Inside camera view, Gauges displayed

ftp://240user:240vids@204.11.239.152/[dori-san]_3.19.05_-_GT4_-_Mission_34.wmv

questions/comments/feedback welcomed.

Brilliant Dori-san! You've raised the benchmark with your fully illustrated write-up!.. and well done on the 'Mission Accomplished' too... I have only just started to work on this mission, no doubt many people will have that 'OK, this is it, this is definitely my FINAL attempt ' moment too... :sly:

hmm.... I'd have to say the golds took me longer. Cause I breezed through the first missions like they were nothing. Plus I don't see why people complain so much about the 1-lap magics. I did almost all of them within the first couple tries. 34 was definitely the most frustrating thing I've ever done, but 80% of the reason for that was the stupid wait each time. So I'll definitely say that 80 golds was more difficult.

...by the way, how would you describe your driving style here? It seems that braking into the corners upsets the car, while accelerating early out of the corners pushes it wide, both slowing you down. I still have a long way to go to match your speed (only 1:50 at CP 1 and over 1:44 at CP 2), but now my times are starting to drop again and "coasting" through the turns seems to work best. Basically, I brake early anticipating the turn, get off the brake but stay off the throttle going through, and then start accelerating again late at the exit, using the brake and throttle for minor corrections only.

Argh! Did everything similair to thw write-up and then at the end of the straight I spun out. I could see the SL300! :mad:

Great job! Now I'm afraid to do it because after all your good moves you still only one by far less then a second.

I did a few laps in my SLR in practice mode and actually got down to the 7:14 range, just a few seconds off what the 300SL drives. But, as it turns out, even though it helped me learn the track better, the stock SLR handles better than the Mission 34 SLR and the best I could do in the mission was to finish behind 15 seconds (even if it is a good improvement over the 30 second gaps I had previously). Two areas I find difficult in the mission are the small jumps right after the first checkpoint and right before the second checkpoint. if I go up the hill too fast the car becomes unsettled upon landing and I usually don't make it through the next corner, or I slow down for the jumps and don't go through the corners fast enough (about 100 mph for the right-hander after CP1 and 130 mph for the left-hander right before CP2). In general, the car is extremely sensitive to bumps...

I posted about that in the Mission Hall thread, but I'll reiterate.

For practicing with a stock SLR, keep the Sport Medium tires on it, turn both ASM to 0, and TCS to 2. That should make the car feel more squirly like it does in the mission.

I feel like I brake late, but brake in a fairly straight line and turn in as you're easing off the brakes. I don't know what you're playing with but I use the DFP. It makes a HUGE difference to use your left foot for the brake. Because many times it allows for quicker exits if you are applying them both simultaneously at certain times. Reason being, towards the exit keeping the brakes slightly pressed will help fight the understeer while still using the throttle to accelerate through the turn.

dori-san
For practicing with a stock SLR, keep the Sport Medium tires on it, turn both ASM to 0, and TCS to 2. That should make the car feel more squirly like it does in the mission.

Seems to be much more effective than actually doing Mission 34 over and over again, especially because you can time yourself better.

I was constantly behind about 10 (between 9:22 and 9:25 total) seconds or so, but that was always with a few mistakes. In practice, even on a clean lap, I was stuck at around 7:15 to 7:16.

But, like everyone kept saying, it is probably just a matter of a few corners, and being a bit faster through the first three sectors, taking two or three turns better in the fourth and fifth, and being smoother in the sections leading up to and including Schwalbenschwantz, and now it is already down to 7:08.5

I did this mission once and finished 30 (!!!!) seconds too late..... I didn't even drive bad.... that's what I thought anyway, lol. Haven't tried ever since.... I probably will try again when I'm done with everything else.

congrats, however being a person capable of doing all golds on the licenses, why did you feel the need to take all the shortcuts?

I did Mission 34 without any grass hopping and there's lots of time left to pass the first guy by 0.5-1.0 seconds. This is on NTSC USA with the first place car doing x.13.000.

Because after pulling my hair out for a week, I just wanted to get it done. I will probably go back later and do it legit and faster. But anything I could do to finish it (short of cheating) was fine with me. I wanted to get all golds and missions out of the way before begining the actual game, and after a week of 2 minute waits and MANY restarts... I was ready to just get to the Sunday Cup. Once I learn the Ring some more I know I could go back and destroy it with a 3+ second lead.

///M-Power
Seems to be much more effective than actually doing Mission 34 over and over again, especially because you can time yourself better.
It's not even about timing yourself, just good to do because you don't have to worry about getting frustrated with the 2 minute wait every time.

My best suggestion I can give you is to go and just run laps for practice. Taking into accout that you won't be starting from 0mph every lap, just run and run and run until you can get your lap times under 7 minutes flat. Once you can get <7 consistantly, you're ready for the mission.

I did some 7:06s last night, where everything seemed to go very smoothly, and it did translate into a slight improvement in the mission, where I caught the last car a bit earlier and then finished only 7 or 8 seconds behind instead of 10 or 11. I also gave the DF wheel a try finally, and even though I was off my best practice times by more than 10 seconds, left-foot braking seemed to be very helpful and maybe I can match and then beat my DS2 times with a bit of practice.

Dang this mission is pissing me off!!!

I started trying it yesturday, and the best time I got was 20 seconds too late!!! I was really pissed, because I thought I did all I could.

Then today, I went back to trying it. At first I was doing the same times, 20 seconds late of the lead car, then I started doing pushups while I was waiting for the other cars to take off, the 123 seconds. Wow, the rush of blood and oxygen to the head sure helped a lot with my own performance, in 2 more attempts, and after more pushups while waiting for the cars, I cut down my time by 16 seconds!!! I came 2nd, and 4 seconds late!!!

This mission does not seem impossilbe to me anymore, only a matter of time now, and so far, I've only spend about 2 hours on it.

I still hate the SLR though, stuped car.

Switching to the DF wheel seems to be doing me good. I spent half an hour trying to get used to the setup, and I began exceeding my best DS2 practice times slightly. I am sure that with a bit more smoothness through some sections and finding a better line elsewhere, I will start getting close to that magical 7:00 time.

Just gave it a few more runs in the actual mission. One time I was actually down to 1:39.5 after CP2, and another time, after accidentally sliding through the grass just before CP3, to 1:32.0, but both times I threw it into the wall for a penalty shortly thereafter. :ouch:

Got GT4 a few days ago. Thought I'd give this a go to see what all the fuss was about. I don't know the nurb that well, but you don't need to if you read the suggested gear-markers on the driving interface.

I didn't make any huge mistakes; I had all 4 wheels on the grass at the second corner, which I drifted off at, and I also had to drive onto the grass to pass the first car which you meet, going up the hill. I caught and passed both the leading two cars on that big long straight near the end of the lap. I took it easy from there, and won by 4.9 seconds.

The only annoying thing about this race is the other cars. They ignore you, turn in in front of you, and force you to brake and veer around them. Just whatever you do, don't touch them! You will get a 5 second penalty.

I would say getting gold on S-16 is probably harder (I did S16 and mission 34 this morning). In Mission 34 the time is easy, the only reason the race is hard is because of the cars you have to pass, and the fact that the Mercedes you drive is very unstable.

If you drive through the whole lap and manage to get your tyres squealing at all the 4th and 5th gear corners, and don't go off/crash into an AI car, you should win this race fairly comfortably.

I think now I will try missions 1-33 (I haven't tried them yet, and the beginner events are boring me already). Any tips for any difficult missions?

Damn, I had enough troubles getting all silver in the licence tests (still haven't got all silver in S12 - S16). Props to you. I'm leaving the rest of the driving tests for a rainy day.

RyanB
Damn, I had enough troubles getting all silver in the licence tests (still haven't got all silver in S12 - S16). Props to you. I'm leaving the rest of the driving tests for a rainy day.

lol it's absolutely pissing it down here in England!

Something I noticed actually, some other guy said he got 9:13 and won by 1 second (in the US version I think). I got 9:12 and won by 3.9 seconds. With an 8 second difference, that doesn't add up. Maybe there is another difference between US and PAL besides the 123-115 second wait difference.

Back