270HP against 500HP - The championship of my life!

• Thread starter Chrasher
  • 38 comments

Chrasher

Premium
GTP_2Fast4Stig
For the ultimate race-experience, I went to try a race championship with a fully tuned Suzuki GSX-R/4 with +/- 270 HP. (no Nitro purchased), fitted with the softest race-slicks. :) Great little car with a marvelous sound at 11.000 rpm. 👍 Topspeed: about 275 km/h.

(all pics are clickable!)

The Championship I chose for this car:

- All Japan GT Championship with 100.000 cr. prizemoney and 15.000 for one race. (10 races)

my opponents in this championship (500HP GT-cars):
- Nissan XANAVI NISMO GT-R
- Honda Castrol MUGEN NSX
- Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra
- Nissan MOTUL PITWORK Z
- Nissan Pennzoil ZEXEL GT-R

- A-Spec points for a race-win : 200! :)

The only advantage I have is the low weight of the Suzuki. I tested two separate races to get a feeling for the difficulty and I won 1 race relatively easy, and finished the other in fourth place right behind number three. When the circuit has a lot of medium-speed flowing corners it should be possible to go for first place.
Braking is also an advantage with the Suzuki, so if there's enough room on the track before corners you could easily outbreak any opponent. I expect problems in high speed tracks and very slow 90-degrees corners in city-circuits, but we wil see. The Suzuki is too slow to overtake the other cars at topspeed, so I had to drive, steer and brake better.
Strapped myself in the Playseat behind the Driving Force Pro and I was ready to go! :cool:

So, here is my write-up from my 10 races from this championship, including many pics from the replays:

Race 1 - 5 rounds - Tokyo R246 (1 place)
To test my new tuned Suzuki I did some qualify laps, so I could start from the front. So with a little luck I wasn't last trough the first corner. As expected this was a difficult race with the long straight. One little mistake against the wall and the other cars zipped by. :scared:
In the end, the race was mine with a 0.4s lead on the second car, who was closing in very fast on the long straight before the finish. :crazy:

Race 2 - 12 rounds - Suzuka East (2 place)
I expected a pretty easy race in the East section of the track with the S-turns. But in the end it was a 10 lap heroic fight with the Nissan XANAVI NISMO GT-R, constantly switching for first place. 👍 Sadly I missed a braking point in the last lap and he zipped by. I was still right behind him, but in the last straight at topspeed it was a lost case. :grumpy: Second place at 0.6s.

Race 3 - 10 rounds - Seoul Central (1 place)
Thought this was a difficult one for the Suzuki, so I qualified for the best spot on the grid. In the end it was a breeze. The track is very wide, so you have al the space for late braking and overtaking in corners. After 4 laps I was already first. Won the race with a 10.6s lead. :)

Race 4 - 6 rounds - Fuji Speedway '90 (1 place)
This should be easy...., and it was easy. I was master of the track on the back-side of the circuit with the sweeping corners. Did some easy last laps, shifting early to spare my engine. :lol: Won with 6.2s.

Race 5 - 12 rounds - Twin Ring Motegi S.S. (6 and last)
This was a race I could never win. The Suzuki's power is not enough for the high speeds on an oval track. To my surprize I could still hold on slipstreaming in the first 7 rounds, but in round 8 my right-back tire was becoming red and I couldn't hold the high corner speeds any more. The Suzuki was al over the place, but not facing the right direction. :crazy: I crashed twice and was lapped by the full pack. :ouch: 6 place!

After the first half of the championship I was in first place with a 4 point lead on number 2 (the Nissan XANAVI).
Sadly I didn't write down all the points owned by the competition, but according to my current lead in points the second half of this championship could be very interesting. :)

Standings after 5 races from 1 tot 6: 37 - 33 - 26 - 14 - 13 - 7

After 5 races I took a break, refreshed my oil in the Suzuki and did a carwash. Ready to go again! :D

Race 6 - 7 rounds - Laguna Seca (1 place)
I had tested Laguna Seca before I started this championship and finished first. As long as you make no big mistakes you can take a 2 second lead per lap. The only problem I had was the first left-corner after the "corkscrew". Raced this track many times in GT3 so the new layout of this section put me off guard a few times. :irked: In the end I finished first with a 5.6s lead on the second car. :D

Race 7 - 9 rounds - Hong Kong (3 place)
This was a monster! :mad: It's almost impossible to overtake in the low-speed 90 degrees corners with the high curbs. On several occasions I went flying against the wall after hitting a curb trying to overtake my opponent. :crazy: In the end I settled for third place concentrating on the track, perfecting my driving-line to avoid the curbs. I was amazed at the large difference between all the cars after finishing. Seems to me most of them struggled at this track.
It's a pitty you have to concentrate so hard, because of the nice surroundings. It's a marvelous circuit to look around. :cool: 3 place at 17 seconds.

Race 8 - 9 rounds - Twin Ring Motegi (2 place)
Don't know why but I like this track. It's not the best track for the Suzuki because of the long straights and slow sharp corners, but I managed to finish in second place. Never had a chance to gain in on the lead car. :odd: (2 at 7.3 seconds)

The championship is going to be a very exciting last two races because my lead is now only 2 points on the Nissan XANAVI. I can't afford to make any big mistake or I could lose the championship. :(

Race 9 - 6 rounds - Fuji Speedway 2005 (1 place)
Difficult circuit with lots of tarmac on both sides of the track. It's sometimes very difficult to see were the actual racing-line is. Did a few qualifying rounds to get a better overal feeling of the track and to start in pole. Because of the many medium-speed flowing corners I managed to win this race relatively easy in the second half of the race. :) In lap 4 I was in front and stayed that way untill the finish with a 4.5 second lead on the second car.
As I looked at the points after this race, it striked me that my worst enemy had a very bad race this time finishing only in fourth place. That gave me a 9 points lead with only one race to go. Piece of cake..... :dopey:

Race 10 - 5 rounds - Suzuka (5 place)
Piece of cake... I thought.... :ill: Remembered the second race at the East-section of Suzuka were I finished second after a heroic fight with the XANAVI. How could I be wrong! The West section of Suzuka is littered with high speed corners with a very sharp hairpin and chicane. After round one I was already fourth with a huge gap on car number three. :boggled: I knew that with a last place I still could win the championship, but only if the Nissan XANAVI didn't win. If he did, we would have the same amount of points, but I don't know who would get the trophy from GT4.
Because I was pushing extra hard, I made a big mistake and went off the track. :banghead: In the end I only managed fifth place, 19.2 seconds behind the winner (the Nissan XANAVI). Man, this was stressfull.... :scared: But it was enough to get first in the championship. WOOOOHOOOOOO.....!!!! :bowdown:

In the end I stood highest on the podium with a 1 point lead over the Nissan XANAVI. I won 5 from the 10 races, collecting 1000 A-spec points and of course the prize-money. :cheers:

And look what was waiting for me:.... :)

If you find GT4 too easy in most of the races: Try to enter a race with a less powered car (check the preview for a better insight on your opponents), or try this race-championship with your own Suzuki GSX-R/4. It was a great experience! 👍 👍 👍

WOW!!! What an OUTSTANDING Write-Up! 👍
One of the Very Best I've ever "Read" & definitely the Very Best I've ever "Seen!" The fotos are GREAT!

WELCOME to the Planet Chrasher :cheers: You'll do well here with your attitude! ...O.G. :D

BTW: THANX for pointing out a Good Race...now I have somewhere to use the little Suzuki! 👍

Thanks, Old Geezer! :)

It took nearly 5 hours (much more than I expected) to make this story. :boggled: Reviewing all the replays, making photo's, sorting the best pics, uploading, write the story, preview the post, edit for errors, etc.... :scared:

Wrote this story first in Dutch for a Dutch forum, but I liked it so much, that I made an English version for GTPLANET. :cheers:

Wow, that truly was astonishing! The best write-up I've ever come to!
The job you did, beating the JGTC monsters, was amazing! How many A-spec points did you get per race?

Welcome to GTP!

BTW, do you have MSN, Crasher?

The car is a Suzuki GSX-R/4. It is the prize car for the Suzuki Concepts race. However, you will need to win the other Suzuki race in order to get the S2 concept, which you will have to upgrade a decent amount in order to be competitive.

zoxxy
Wow, that truly was astonishing! The best write-up I've ever come to!
The job you did, beating the JGTC monsters, was amazing! How many A-spec points did you get per race?

Welcome to GTP!

BTW, do you have MSN, Crasher?
I got 200 A-spec points for every race I won. :dopey:
Sorry I don't use MSN, but you could always email me or send a private message.

And S2000lover, as Studentdriver already pointed out, it was a Suzuki GSX-R/4. (did you even read the story? :confused: )

Today I did this championship for the first time as well.... but with more than twice the amount of HP you did. I used that Nissan Z concept race car and won all except for Fuji 90's (where I screwed up because my mind went to cloud 9 in the last lap) and Hong Kong which is really impossible even with this fast car. Overall my car was probably a little too fast to really make this championship challenging, which the 6 a-spec points per race already indicated.

cool, i just got that gsx r/4.... cant wait to race it!!

mmmm what i find annoying.... this is an open car, but can still race it..... cant race my caterham 7 SIGH!!!

that's cuz the only movement you see from the Suzuki's driver is its head. With the Caterham, you can see him change gears and whatnot.

Studentdriver
that's cuz the only movement you see from the Suzuki's driver is its head. With the Caterham, you can see him change gears and whatnot.
Actually, you can also see his arms and hands on the steering wheel when cornering. :)
full.jpg

full.jpg

Very Impressive write up Charsher!!!!! That car has only been collecting dust in my garage but it looks like it needs to get some miles on it.

PhuSioN
Read the story on GoT. ;) Hope to see more of your skills :)
(Dat zal nog wel effe duren, want daar gaat een hoop tijd inzitten. Vraag me af hoeveel Gotters hier meelezen...?)

It a shame they didn't aprove a new topic for my story, so it's now burried under 1000 posts. :indiff: But thats life, good there is GTPlanet! :dopey:

Interesting that it doesn't have a wind screen. I don't believe I had noticed that previously.

Excellent write up. Pictures make things so much nicer (:

very impressive. Just recently I decided to stop using such overpowered, easy winning cars so i could gain some more a-spec points. still use the Nitrous though but i have found alot of times its not really necessary. Im trying to do the supercar races with a R34 skyline and its goin pretty good until the tires wear down and they start catching up to me. I think im running in the upper 500hp range, so still not as impressive as yours.

hi bud, yeah love your write up!!

just redoing this series with the gsx r/4... mine has seen the wars a bit (have done el capitan and ring 4 hr enduros in it)

currently won the 1st 4 races easy peasy, i'll let ya all know when i win all 10 (i know i could do way better than i'm doing, but i'm pretty drunk right now lol)

Gord

here we go hehe

my resume with my gsx r/4 (i didnt bother qualifying for any of the races, as it turned out, i wish i had hehe):

race 1: won by 2 secs
2: 4 secs
3: 5 secs
4: 3.5 secs
5: last LAST OMFG (spun out, right rear was redder than my knob after a wicked bj)
6: 2nd
7: 2nd
8: 5 secs
9: 3.5 secs

i thought, wow i'm 7 points ahead.... i cant lose

sigh

10: just got past the lead car, and he spun me out on a corner!!! the dirty bastidge!!! poxy gravel traps, i HATE em!! i'm gonna complain to my mp!! could i get back to a reasonable position in the race??? could i ****!!! came bloody last!!!

the car that was second to me every race, or first if i didnt win, won the series!! for the record it was a toyota woodone (cant remember the rest).... but i'm gonna have that mother tomorrow.... he's going down!! i hate light green cars now (ewww i think i always hated green cars anyway)!!

and i love GT4 for this!! great game!!

Gord

ps 12 tins of kronenbourg 1664 and 6 million cigs...... let that be a lesson to ya all, drinking and smoking doesnt make u a better driver hehe

pps errrrr pls dont drink and drive at all, except in GT

ppps oh and wear yer damn seat belt too

pppps LOL

ppppps < :grumpy: >

pppppps but i'll be back (and no, i didnt say that in a pseudo american accent!!)

Hehe..., nice write-up Phil McCavity :)

What's so funny about this race is every time you enter this championship, there are different cars to race against. It's like they have garage full of about 30 GT-cars, randomly picking 5 of them for each championship.
I raced it (startpost) and got 200 A-spec points, but when I just checked yesterday, I got only 161 A-spec points with all different opponents. :sly:

Awesome write-up... And good hard championship should never be avoided !..

Thanks !..

Hey Mr. McCavity,

I couldn't agree with you more. I purchased at Caterham 7 (one of my all time favourites) with the 100,000 credits I transferred over from GT3, and put a supercharger, racing tyres and weight reduction on it. I thought it would be unbeatable. I guess in a way it is unbeatable, 'cos I can't race anyone to prove it!

ARRGH!!!

BTW, Great article Crasher - i'll have to go out and get the Suzuki now.

Dizzy K

Back