Opinion on moddified or stock...

• Thread starter dking
  • 43 comments
I know almost everyone here changes suspension etc for driftin....but does anyone else here drift cars with no mods? I only ask this cause in online play you can't have mods....so....who's hardcore? đź’ˇ or am i just a :dunce: for driftin stock no mods?

Everyone does deff not change something on all their cars for drifting. It does help but if you cant change the suspension it might in some cases just be aswell to leave it as it is. No, i drift quite alot of cars in its stock state. Cant say that im any more "hardcore" for doing so nor any better. Its down to personal taste and experience if you ask me. Or.. ?

Personally i dont know how you can drift well with no mods... For me modifications to LSD, Suspension, driving aids, tyre choice, transmission are needs for me to be able to drift the best that i can.... So i wouldn't call yourself "hardcore" :crazy: because you drift with no mods... Maybe its because you dont know how to modify your car :dopey: , nah man im jokin

I would like to see you drift with no mods though :sly:

You have to work to harder to get a stock car to drift, hence you are indeed hardcore đź‘Ť

Drifting with stock cars gives you better experience than in modded cars. Use the modded cars for the comps ;)

while I use a completley stock(cept for no d.aids) Sileighty, i also use a pretty heavily modded S13 Q's, it just all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
the sileighty doesnt take much to start milking power and drift out of it, while the Q's takes much more than i thought and is a good car for hardcore drifters.
have fun and happy drifting!

When I first started drifting in GT3 I started with mods and tuning. But looking ahead with the expectations of having online play, my assumptions were that we'd be forced to use stock cars. Thus, from this point of view, FOR THE MOST PART I've been focusing on just learning to drift the cars stock without any suspension upgrades etc so that I'd be ready for GT4 online. I think you can learn alot about the manufactures car and what PD had in mind in regards to its real life counterpart if you work on drifting the cars without suspension upgrades. Its just my personal preferance, and I am not saying this makes me hardcore, its just what I see valuable from the games design and each cars modeled physics. If I go changing the suspension etc... then all my cars in my garage would handle the same way and I'd lose the experience of knowing that I have a AE86 that handles just like my S2000?

Of course I eventually tune my cars because I need to be competitive if I'm trying to win in GT Mode. But what I have said above is regarding drifting on a personal note. What I do for myself when I'm just looking to get some seat time and practice.
If GTPDC is in session, I would not leave myself at a disadvantage to other competitors and would follow suit and tune my car to make it more competitive.
:)

i use to drift with mods but no I drift stock cars mainly. the only time now I will drift with mods if someone requests we drift with exact same horsepower so we can only loose each other in the corners

DRIFTN
Personally i dont know how you can drift well with no mods... For me modifications to LSD, Suspension, driving aids, tyre choice, transmission are needs for me to be able to drift the best that i can.... So i wouldn't call yourself "hardcore" :crazy: because you drift with no mods... Maybe its because you dont know how to modify your car :dopey: , nah man im jokin

I would like to see you drift with no mods though :sly:

:dopey: well check out breakerohios online d1 final thread....thas no mod drift :sly: đź‘Ť

I'm a bit suprised with the "harcore" saying, I like to customize my drift settings in till the most tiny bit, those can only make me drift longer drifts that you eventually can't with stock cars......I find my challenge in getting the biggest drifts I've seen:idea: Not by saying: "I drifted stock:sly:" I respect it, but you also get limited by the car options if you drift stock: can anyone HONESTLY try drifting a long turn with a Lotus Europa stock (something like that name) I can't, but I might be too used to fully tuned settings...........I don't know:indiff:

I guess it's good practice, maybe I'll try to get better with it now, just so I can do a bit of every kind of drifting: exhibition, speed, and stock drifting:D

G-T-4-Fan
I'm a bit suprised with the "harcore" saying, I like to customize my drift settings in till the most tiny bit, those can only make me drift longer drifts that you eventually can't with stock cars......I find my challenge in getting the biggest drifts I've seen:idea: Not by saying: "I drifted stock:sly:" I respect it, but you also get limited by the car options if you drift stock: can anyone HONESTLY try drifting a long turn with a Lotus Europa stock (something like that name) I can't, but I might be too used to fully tuned settings...........I don't know:indiff:

I guess it's good practice, maybe I'll try to get better with it now, just so I can do a bit of every kind of drifting: exhibition, speed, and stock drifting:D
:scared: i guess hardcore was the wrong word....lol the only reason i rock stock is because of online.....u can drift long with stock too...=0) just got to b true....I'll choose my words more carefully next time :ouch: but hey....it spurred interest right?

Na mate, no problem;) No need to worry about your words, I don't want to be the cause of you doing 20 min about one post because your affraid of saying something wrong:tup: No problem man, you can say these words here OFFCOURSE:P

I only drift and drive stock cars for fun, on N1 and N2 tires, N2 Front/N1 Rear when I feel like really drifting. I generally add my weight in ballast, no aids, and I do it all on the Nurburgring.

I might be hardcore...or I might just be obessed with finding the perfect angle to take the corners to look like a bad ass in the replays (I know where every camera angle is on each lap...it varies between odd and even) I do need to get a PC link though...I can think of some awesome videos I could splice together with my RGT.

well i drift stock quite a lot because im often on xlink and there are no tuning options available there but i love drifting my 235 bhp hachi the most using nissan drifters settings that car is just easy to drift and is imo the best drift car in the game.

I take the tires down to the N2's and add an LSD if the car doesn't have one and that's it.

Now I just drifted a new car for me, the FPV GT australian car. It's a big drift dream, not if you use it stock though.......I think at least:nervous::dopey:

i'm not for full stock (at least not usually) - but i keep the cars more stock than modified.

my most recent cars just have some chassis refresh (where applicable), some weight reduction, racing suspension and N2's. Been leaving the powertrain stock and seeing where it gets me. Been going pretty well so far. I'm able to get the car feeling the way i'd like with suspension tuning alone, no aids or anything like that.

TankSpanker
i'm not for full stock (at least not usually) - but i keep the cars more stock than modified.

my most recent cars just have some chassis refresh (where applicable), some weight reduction, racing suspension and N2's. Been leaving the powertrain stock and seeing where it gets me. Been going pretty well so far. I'm able to get the car feeling the way i'd like with suspension tuning alone, no aids or anything like that.

So all your cars feel the same? no responses...I love it

Well, it all depends on what you mean by stock of course.

I started trying everything fully modded, but eventually found that it was actually more interesting, especially since I wasn't very good and was looking to find the right car to really get stuck into and properly learn how to drift, to use cars pretty much stock.

Now I say that - but of course I'd use N tyres, and I'd generally change driveshaft, possibly weight and Rigidity, oil change, and I'd do port polish and the other thing, - but I wouldn;t use downforce, or extra power, or muck about with the suspension.

Of course that's just a starting point, from there you can try anything you like, but I find it a most useful experience to start with how the original car feels, and go from there.

That's partly due to the fact that i'm half decent at tuning for racing, but pretty useless at getting a car to drift for me that doesn't want to - and also the fact that I've been hugely disappointed by most of the setting's I've found.

The conclusion that this has led me to is that drifting is HIGHLY personal, and as a result I;ve tried to find a car that naturally fits my style, used that to improve my drifting ability - and then used that improvement in skill to try and improve the tuning of my cars for drifting.

Still on the lookout for setups that'd work for me though!!

cheers

Basically you need to tune your car for drift. That way you can slide easy.

With stock you will have to push the car to slide, mainly if the car lacks power or such.

I like to drift tuned cars more.

I love stock RX-7 FD version i think around `95 !!!
You actually can see the full potential of simmilar to that car(just different age) on A16 - Nurburgring Nordschleife, Graduation Test ,not a thread for that specific test,but mainly about it!

Test is without aids,and you can feel the drift while trying to win gold đź‘Ť

Back