Opinion on moddified or stock...

• Thread starter dking
  • 43 comments
I think both is cool. Drifting stock cars on stock tires teaches you to be more sensitive, especially with the breaks and weight change through the corner. The Lotus Elan in Arcade mode is an absolute beauty to drift. But serious fun can be had with tuned drifters, especially if you want to sustain a D1 style powerslide with attitude.

But tell me lads, because this confuses the hell outta me. Maybe I'm just locked into my own style/technique of drifting, but it's only since I got on this forum (a few weeks ago) that I hear people specifically using 'N' Grade tires for drifting modded cars. I realise that you guys don't fully tune your drift cars so it's more realistic and more of a simulation...

But I fully tune my drift cars. If there's a big turbo, I HAVE to wack it on. The only two things I don't fully upgrade is the fly wheel (I prefer semi-racing for better torque) and only fit a 1.5 LSD (I don't have time or patients to learn how to tune the fully adjustable one)! I even put the super soft slick tires on and rely on the big turbo to spin the tires.

I find that with a fully tuned car and sticky tires, you learn to keep snap oversteer under control (after time)... My choice drifter is a 700bhp BMW M5 with no driving aids and it is the king of snap oversteer. After you realise the PS2 buttons are analog (duh) snap oversteer is history.

But seriously, how do you keep a modded car with N2 or 3s on the track? I'm rubbish with them. Am I weird or just lame?

I prefer a bit of controllable torque, so a few engine mods, a gearbox and an LSD are usually in store... if only to make the "oomph" available where I can access and utilize it best.

Although I like drifting with "soggy" stock suspension, I tend to slap on a suspension mod and lower/stiffen the car for looks and poise if I feel it's needed ;)

Nemotion
I think both is cool. Drifting stock cars on stock tires teaches you to be more sensitive, especially with the breaks and weight change through the corner. The Lotus Elan in Arcade mode is an absolute beauty to drift. But serious fun can be had with tuned drifters, especially if you want to sustain a D1 style powerslide with attitude.

But tell me lads, because this confuses the hell outta me. Maybe I'm just locked into my own style/technique of drifting, but it's only since I got on this forum (a few weeks ago) that I hear people specifically using 'N' Grade tires for drifting modded cars. I realise that you guys don't fully tune your drift cars so it's more realistic and more of a simulation...

But I fully tune my drift cars. If there's a big turbo, I HAVE to wack it on. The only two things I don't fully upgrade is the fly wheel (I prefer semi-racing for better torque) and only fit a 1.5 LSD (I don't have time or patients to learn how to tune the fully adjustable one)! I even put the super soft slick tires on and rely on the big turbo to spin the tires.

I find that with a fully tuned car and sticky tires, you learn to keep snap oversteer under control (after time)... My choice drifter is a 700bhp BMW M5 with no driving aids and it is the king of snap oversteer. After you realise the PS2 buttons are analog (duh) snap oversteer is history.

But seriously, how do you keep a modded car with N2 or 3s on the track? I'm rubbish with them. Am I weird or just lame?

Try to mod anything but the turbo, just keep the horsepower between 300HP and 400HP, put sport tires on the front, economic or luxury on the back, and you don't need LSD, suspension or anything changed besides the transmission.It will drift like a charm lol.

Anyway, everybody has their own way to drift, i have this one.And i'm having extreme fun with it.So, that's all that counts.

before I start tuning cars for drifting, I take them to a twisty, bumpy track where the suspension brings out all sides of the handling. after that, if needed, I modify the car. if the stock suspension is good enough, I add power and rollcage. if the suspension doesn't work as well, or gives me a hint that it would exceed expectations when modded, then I put the suspension kit on it.

for example, latest model MX-5/Miata is a perfect stock drifter. just for comparison, if you like older cars, AW11 MR2 is absolutely stunning drifter. in stock form, I could drift it thru GVS's last tunnel! and it's able to compete against newer cars too.
and just to bring out a car that was way better with modified suspension, BMW 120i. it's often neglected because of the looks and lack of power, but it's stabile behavior got me attempting a drift in it.. and sideways it went. with 158 bhp on tap, I could drift and defeat BMW M coupe, a car that has more than twice the power of it's little brother. and after I modded it, it was pretty much unbeatable.

like stated before, modded, powerful drifter is fun with it's sharper responses etc, but when you get a stock car around the bend while hugging the inner side while your competitor tries to turn more conventional manner and runs wide, you really feel that you have accomplished something.

What's that MR2?i would like to try it.
I have the GT-S one, and it kicks ass when it comes to drift.I think MR are the right ones for me, i really like their instable behavior.
As for the 120, i tried to drift the diesel version, but i didn't really like it.Maybe i have to work out the best way to drift it, but usually, when i don't get along with a car, it's quite improvable that i will eventually like it.

I'll try anyway.

I was also wondering, in real life diesel has less power than gasoline, does it applies to GT4, too?Maybe i should try the gasoline version instead?

AW11 is known as MR2 1600G-limited '86, and I really recommend the supercharged one. and yes, diesels have less horsepower IRL as well, thus, in order to compete with gasoline powered cars, they have turbochargers -> hefty amount of torque low down which helps initiating the wheelspin. but, it also makes the car slightly harder to control, since drifting isn't actually just driving in corners with insane wheelspin. it's more about control, and thus, gasoline powered cars offer better controllability.

I just started Gt4 again cos i got a new ps2, and im learning to drift in a near Stock Toyota Sprinter Trueno..Gt-Apex '83.. Out of my 10,000 credit budget i only had little money to buy the car. So its near stock for me.

Ps: Help im constantly loosing my rear end on the track...no the car. I cant seem to keep a drift and when i do i over compensate at the end and spin off the oposite end.

RouteUK
I just started Gt4 again cos i got a new ps2, and im learning to drift in a near Stock Toyota Sprinter Trueno..Gt-Apex '83.. Out of my 10,000 credit budget i only had little money to buy the car. So its near stock for me.

Ps: Help im constantly loosing my rear end on the track...no the car. I cant seem to keep a drift and when i do i over compensate at the end and spin off the oposite end.
read the stickies at the top of the forum. they will help you with your problem, as alot of people have had the same problem when they were new to drifting in gt4.

SouthSideSlider
modified i love to be able to fine tune tryhe car form optimume drifint performance. maybe cause i drive an R33..
man, i suggest using a spellcheck on your next post, or being more careful while typing. you can use www.google.com for spellcheck.

I drift cars in its stock form. Some say it takes skill to do so, but all i do is put on some N2s and take off the driving aids and im set. I personally dont think it has anything to do with skill, i just started drifting and i only drive stock, and do a preety good job at it.

Mainly my reasoning for this is that i dont know how to tune a car for drifting and/or am to lazy to do so. If it got the tourqe that i can get it aroud ssiiiddddddewaaaaayyyyyyyssssss.

stock car are best on n1's but i think to reach the full potenshul of a car u must tune it and put it on r1's!:sly: :) :crazy:

Nah I guess it's preference but stock cars on N3 FTW!!!!!!!
I disagree, if you mean full potential with power well yea, but full potential for drifting stock cars have it.

Back