A tutorial (of sorts)

This is an attempt for those of you who incessantly post unedited close-up pics to actually post close-up pics that people want to look at.

Not that I am pissed off, but I am annoyed at the low level of general quality I see - sometimes by even the photoshop masters. Why go through so much trouble with countless layers and such only to produce a jagged masterpiece? Instead of taking the time to really put out a clear perfect photo, many people opt to just resize it. That's fine, but it can't be desktop size anymore!

So, I am enlisting the help of Microsoft Photo Editor to relay onto the GTP Photo Forum how I edit my pictures into something much better than GT4 could ever pretend to be.

This is something everyone with this program, that comes with all windows versions (I believe), can do.

Firstly, where the smudge button is located:

Right click on the icon to reveal this:

Fairly self-explanatory. For GT4 purposes keep the shape as a circle. I typically blow each of my pictures up to 400% and use the size anywhere from 1-8. 8 is useful for clearing up huge panels like a roof. 1-3 is what I do most of the time, for lights and wheelwells and such. I use solid brush so don't worry about edge, although you can use it too.

Pressure depends on how smooth you want it to be. If you want to move a lot of pixels at once, you want higher pressure. If you are working on a 'delicate' taillight or wheelwell than I suggest something around 35. The only way to do this is to do it pixel by pixel.... you have to be precise.

A general tip is to save often, work in one area at once and once you are satisfied with every little bit of editing, save!

Also - the darker color is dominant. If you want to smooth out a line seperating two close shades, it might take you a while unless you use high pressure.

The original picture, straight from the USB.

All Picasa'd up

As you can see it looks like complete **** when viewed at 100%. The entire wheelwell, each window line, the tail-light, the door lines, the pillar, even the interior shading are so repulsive I could puke. The picture is ruined.

However, MS Photo Editor and I can fix it and make it presentable. First, lets do the wheelwell. Be sure not to let the colors bleed onto each other or other features. For wheelwells I usually just drag the mouse over the wheelwell back and forth, right over the jagged lines. With size on 3 and pressure on 49, I yield this:

Next, the ghastly tail-light requires my immediate attention. Still on size 3 and pressure 49, I have made the light nice and clear.

The rear window is more jagged than the Grand Canyon. We're gonna need to use the erosive power of the Colorado River to make it nice and smooooth. Since black is dominant, I just extend the black area out to make it a nice straight line.

The rear wheelarch has some small corners in it that should be taken care of. If the first shall be last and the last shall be first....then I say the higher shall be lower and the lower shall be higher. I went up to size 4 and pressure 70 since the shades are close. In fact for one small spot I need pressure 100.

Back to size 3 and pressure 49, I clean up all the door lines, the door handle, even the line leading to the tail-light. All you have to do is go back and forth over the line to make it uniform. This can be tedious.

To do these thin window lines, I go down to size 2... and I save often. This is an extreme case of editing, so it took over an hour - but it is well worth it. Welcome to GT5.

'Detail' is lost to create clarity.
Blurring makes the picture appear sharp.

Please don't view this as a condescending attitude by me. I'm just trying to show you guys how to improve your pictures tenfold. And if no one gets anything out of this, I had to edit this picture anyway for my next update. If anyone puts this to use feel free to post your progress on one of your pictures in this thread.

Very well done!, big difference between start and finish product!!.

And the best part is you dont need brilliant software as all windows computers has this program 👍

kenny!!!!, THIS is exactly what I've been looking for help with... a way to CLEAN up the edges...

Nice work dude, nice work 👍

kenny - one thing i either missed or you didnt cover is the pixelates textures themselves. do you go up and down the lines with blur or sideways with smudge? or?

[empty space]
kenny - one thing i either missed or you didnt cover is the pixelates textures themselves. do you go up and down the lines with blur or sideways with smudge? or?

Good point - I didn't cover that.

For an entire pixelated texture, such as mountains or grass, first off in photomode I blur it as much as possible while keeping the rest of the photo the way I want it.

A slightly complicated way to do this is to take 2 or 3 pictures and then combine them into one in photoshop or something. Of course, it is almost impossible for them to match perfectly, so we will ignore that.

I use a combination of blur, soft focus in Picasa 2, glow, and of course smudging in MS Photo Editor to get it to look good enough.

In MS Photo Editor, for an entire pixelated texture, I will make the size really huge, like 20 or something, but very low pressure. You can mess with the feather too to affect how much of a difference it makes. Basically, this eliminates sharp edges and the eye naturally passes over it. I do this for my pictures that say show a large close-up portion of the road. Using all of the above methods, I make it so the pixelated road doesn't stand out and annoy the viewer.

Another trick that I have been doing lately is using color curves in the gimp to just flat out make the road darker. If you look at my last update, I think I did that to pics seven and eight. Similarily, adjusting the brightness/contrast or increasing 'shadow' in Picasa 2 does the same thing. If the road is darker, you can't see the horrible pixelated texture. Although - you have to be careful doing this because of course if you go too far, you lose the entire texture of the road, and you need to keep some if it is going to look 'real'.

I´m sorry, I can help only vaguely, but I remember there has been a tutorial on cleaning up pixelated car textures and colour depth related blotches. I also remember there has been a dark grey Chrysler 300C as an example in that tutorial. I just can´t remember if I saw that tutorial here on GTP, but it must have been. I just looked through the stickied tutorials but couldn´t find it, perhaps some not so blind person like me knows something about it. :dunce: I think it would be exactly what [empty space] is looking for. Not that your exposition would be bad, kenny.:)

Prost! :cheers:

Nice writeup:tup: , I always try to get my pics up that kind of quality. Can't stand having all those jaggies on the car.

bjc-3000 - i believe i know which one your talking about, the only problem is that is uses photo shop which is a program i dont have access to anymore. i believe one of his methods was to select an area, like part of a door and use smart blur. when i used to have photoshop, regular blur and smart blur blurred in different ways.

Yeah, that´s what I meant. Perhaps there´s a similar method possible with the prog you use?

And thanks for the tutorial, KTB. It showed me again that I have to have a much closer look at my pictures.

Prost! :cheers:

Back