Tuning Competition - Week 9

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 43 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckRacer

Premium
Welcome to the ninth Tuning Competition on GTPlanet. Here is everything you need to know to participate.

How it Works

I start the competition every Sunday, listing the name of the car you are to tune, and which track the settings will be tested at. You will not have to tune at that track, but it is highly recommended, since the judges will be testing there.

The judges are:
  • Dark Elite
  • Marouan
  • AstonMartin
Once the judges are finished testing all the settings, they will rank each of them on the following categories:
  • Turn-in (entry to corners)
  • Mid-Corner response (whether the car under/oversteers mid-corner or holds the racing line well)
  • Corner exit (how quickly you can exit a corner whilst staying in good control)
  • Stability (rear end staying in line, car not 'jumping' or feeling skittish in turns)
  • Grip (start-offs, how much power can be used without the drive wheels losing traction? Does the car oversteer excessively?)
  • High-speed controllability (whether the car becomes 'frantic' and turns far too sharply at high speeds)
  • Handling while braking (are you able to easily turn the car while braking, and without going into oversteer?)
  • Acceleration (how good is it? Is there a lot of traction while doing it?)
Each category will be rated on a scale of 10 (with 10 being the best). Once the ranking is complete, all of the seperate ratings for a set-up from each judge will be compiled together for that one set-up. This is done with all the other settings, and the one with the highest ranking wins.

The judges will also write a mini-report about the settings, and how they felt driving them.

What to Tune, and Where to Tune At

You will have to tune the Ford GT '05 (NOT the concept, the stripeless GT, or the GT40) @ Trial Mountain. You must use S3 tires, and no ASM.

Rules

• No ASM, ballast, or nitrous is allowed.
  • You can tune the car in any way you wish, as long you use a reasonable amount of parts (ie don't slap on a sports suspension and a 1.5 LSD and expect to be rated high)
  • You must list every single part you used in the PM to me with your settings. Failure to do so will result in a deduction of points.
  • You must PM Me your settings, do not post them here. PM them in the following format:
Code:
Tuner: (your username)

Car: Ford GT '05

Part List:

[B]Suspension[/B]
-Spring Rate: 12.0 / 12.0
-Ride Height: 100 / 100
-Bound: 6 / 6
-Rebound: 8 / 8
-Camber: 2.0 / 1.0
-Toe: 0 / 0
-Stabilizers: 3 / 3

[B]LSD[/B]
-Initial: 10
-Acceleration: 40
-Deceleration: 20

[B]Downforce[/B]
Amount: 30 / 30

[B]Driving Aids[/B]
-TCS: 0

[B]Brake Controller[/B]
-Brakes: 3 / 3

[B]Transmission[/B]
Gear Ratios
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
6th:
Final Gear:

Autoset 10
Deadline

Deadline is Monday, August 21st.

Good luck!

Great choice this week, Trail Mountain was my favourite track in GT1, and since it hasn't changed at all the racing line hasn't either, meaning it's still up there on my all time favourites list. The car is also brilliant, a stock car with no TC and ASM is heaven to drive, full of grunt and smooth as silk.

I did my own big mod job on one of these a few months back and found that at some tracks a Stage 2 NA Tune is quicker than the Stage 3, basically coming down to too much power out the rear tyres in the slower corners with the Stage 3. I'm really interested to see what setup's people come up with if they take on the challenge of the Stage 3, see if they can tame the beast! :mischievous:

Duck, i have finally got my setup as perfect as i think it'll ever be.

Can i post it now?

I have also added heaps of additional data just for the hell of it cause i was bored (b-spec data, lap times, speed trap, handling notes etc) :sly:

Der Meister
I have also added heaps of additional data just for the hell of it cause i was bored (b-spec data, lap times, speed trap, handling notes etc)
Cool, I'll see if I can beat your laptimes and speeds :P and handling advice is always useful! 👍

DE

Cool, I'll see if I can beat your laptimes and speeds :P and handling advice is always useful! 👍

DE

No problems, has Duck already sent it to you or would you like me to PM it to you in advance?! (if Duck is ok with that?) 💡

Quick question - is this the prize car, or the one you buy? I've just had a look and there are some small differences (torque & mass, just after a quick check) and I want to make sure I'm tuning the right car. Thanks :)

That's assuming I can actually still drive after making a fairly good effort at chopping the end off my thumb making last night's dinner :rolleyes:

Quick question - is this the prize car, or the one you buy? I've just had a look and there are some small differences (torque & mass, just after a quick check) and I want to make sure I'm tuning the right car. Thanks :)

That's assuming I can actually still drive after making a fairly good effort at chopping the end off my thumb making last night's dinner :rolleyes:

It's the one you buy, hence the "'05" at the end.

TS
Oh crap, school + GT Time = :(

I'll try my best to get this one done.

Yeah, this might be my last one too. Work + school ≠ GT time

School starts the 28th for me, so if you dont hear back from me, you know what happened...

TS
Well, I got my GT to do a nosestand and I almost flipped it over.

Whoo!!! Was this on the main straight along the pit wall near grid slot 4?

Cause there's a huge bump there, i had a sweet setup that worked everywhere except that bump, i never got it to nosestand, but i did some good spins! 👍

Thanks - my prize car also says '05, that's why I wanted to check. Off to buy a stripey GT then :D

OH, is it the one with no stripes that you win in the extreme hall? I totally forgot about that one. It's allowed. :)

EDIT: The stripeless Ford GT is outlawed, because of it's glitch that can dramatically boost performance.

Yeah, this might be my last one too. Work + school ? GT time

School starts the 28th for me, so if you dont hear back from me, you know what happened...

Well, I'll be starting Week 10 after this week ends (August 22nd), so you should be able to tune for Week 10. After all, you'd be one of the few to do all ten weeks! 👍

I think this is about the right time to mention the Ford GT glitch then, isn't it?

Never heard of it. Please PM it to me.

I think this is about the right time to mention the Ford GT glitch then, isn't it?

i am also extremly keen to discover this wonderful glitch - seeing as i have already submitted my setup for this week, i cannot gain any advantage by knowing this glitch, can i too please have it PM'ed to me? :dopey:

I'll just post it so I don't have to PM it to everybody:
Myself
In my 300 MPH testing, I've noted that the stripeless Ford GT (in addition to being screwy in what events it is allowed in) has massive (like, 20 plus) differences in aerodynamics. The striped one I beleive maxes out downforce wise at 50-70 or so, but the solid version only had 30-50 or 30-30. I could look if you want me to in order to determine it, but I know the differences play a very real effect on overall performance.

Which is why it is outlawed.

I'll just post it so I don't have to PM it to everybody:

Which is why it is outlawed.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I see, thank goodnes I buy the right car, 30/50 max in downforce setting.

PM'ed my setting,

I try using soft feel this time. This car feel oversteer and my tuning end up making the rear hop more at last S corner :(.

This car feel oversteer and my tuning end up making the rear hop more at last S corner :(.

That's a bump in the road Sucahyo. When you exit the final turn, don't stay too far to the left (along the pit wall). Make sure you break a lot more than you first think for the final turn because if you don't the front will bounce and lose downforce, then the back will bounce in return and cause you to lose a lot of time.

These notes were what i took from my own setting, but may be helpful to you aswell:

Notes:

- Front end locks up if under heavy braking for long periods of time. Left-foot brake if needed.

- Extremly confident grip and speed levels if you brake early and power through the corner.

- Car can be be light on the rear end if you try to coast through high speed turns.

- Setup may be difficult for controller users.

- The car responds better to slower movements, and therefore would benefit from wheel users.

I hope those help?! 💡

I use max ride height to soften the bouncing.
I use DS2, so I have to be extremely carefull when driving. To make it easier to drive, I use stabilizer to hold the rear.

I may not get this one done in time. had some issues with my wheel setup:nervous: . and refuse to use a DS2. So we will see what happins.

chris

I may not get this one done in time. had some issues with my wheel setup:nervous: . and refuse to use a DS2. So we will see what happins.

chris

just do what i do, buy the car, mod it etc... take off the ASM to make the car legal within the rules. Then do a lap with the controller, make sure its a full lap with no spins etc.

Then start setting it up, now don't drive it yourself, this is VERY IMPORTANT!!! What you do is get your B-Spec guy to drive, give him 3 laps on Normal Pace at x3 viewing speed, now watch his 4th lap. Check to see if the ride looks smooth, check top speeds, mid corner speeds, sector times etc.
If the car looks uncomfortable, then change the settings to make it a better ride... when you think you have ficed the problem, get the B-Spec guy to do another 3 laps, then watch his 4th lap... keep doing this until he get's within a second of your time. By a few changes of setup he should get within a second fairly easily... but the car has to look smooth on the road.

When you are finally contempt with his efforts, notch him up to Increased Pace, then to Push Hard... you don't need to make him do 3 laps of each, just moniter both laps, if they look reasonably good he should have beat your time by maybe a second on Push Hard.

Now it's time to take the car for a spin yourself ;)
Just tweak it where you see fit.
Chances are you'll beat his time by at least 3 seconds.

This may seem like a boring and lengthy process, but its actually quite a fun challenge, and you can learn a lot about how to set up a car by watching it as well as driving it.

Interesting - Billy B-spec doesn't get anywhere near my tuning efforts while I'm putting a setup together. For me it's all about how it feels when I'm driving it, the lap times come as the tune develops. We'll see what the judges have to say :sly:

[edit] - that wasn't very clear, I meant that I don't do any B-spec runs when I'm tuning.

Interesting - Billy B-spec doesn't get anywhere near my tuning efforts while I'm putting a setup together. For me it's all about how it feels when I'm driving it, the lap times come as the tune develops. We'll see what the judges have to say :sly:

No, i must agree that he wont get anywhere near your times... but i drive with a DFP... when i use a controller im about 1 - 2 seconds slower... plus there's the instant disadvantage of a crap handling car.. so your first time should be slow... this is why Billy/Bob gets fairly reasonable times compared to your first effort :sly:

Well, that was a lot of fun 👍 - the first time I've had to change the oil while doing the tune, through doing so many laps :lol:

My settings are in....

Hmm Bspec tunning.

Bspec Bob is so unreliable after set 4 it's just a waist of time and set 3 is too slow to see any usable data.
For example take Billy Bob to Tsukuba with a bone stock spec C on set 4 and watch how he drives with precision. lol yea right...

I never had Bob get anywhere near my times on my first lap EVER. I would be ashamed and embarrassed if that happened. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back