Suzuki's Interview, here now. check it out!! Vids Added!

• Thread starter Loon
  • 7 comments
GTPLoon
D1 Loon
Here it is once again folks, please enjoy.:)

Tulok: Suzuki, do you prefer turbo, N/A or supercharger engine types, and is throttle lag a big deal to you?

Suzuki: I like them all. They all have their ups and downs. Superchargers produce a lot of low rpm torque, but suffer in the higher rpm's. Smaller turbo's spool quicker and produce lower power, but it is more manageable. The larger the turbo, the less low rpm response there is. So, a small turbo would provide a similar feel as a super charger on a smaller track where you really need the response and low rpm power. A small track is not a place where you want turbo lag. Although you can remedy this by using a tighter gearbox to keep your rpm's up, but your power band will suffer. So it’s all a tradeoff. I would PREFER either a smaller turbo or a supercharger but when I am on xlink I don’t have this option sadly. So sometimes I just have to deal with having a somewhat large, laggy turbo. I am not a huge fan of na because usually it wont have the power that I need/want.​

Articzap: Why won't you play with us on Kai?
Suzuki: I haven’t been on much lately. And when I have gotten on, I’ve been JGTC racing. If you want me to drift with you guys, and I’m on kai, holla at me if im not in the middle of something.​

T: Is too much angle a bad thing? Under what circumstances?
Suzuki: Too much of anything, even good things can be bad. So yes, too much angle CAN be a bad thing. "Under what circumstances" you ask? I will take a good line with decent angle over big angle and a sloppy line any day. Precision and control mean that you put their car where you want it. Usually that means taking a slightly modified race line. With huge angles, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.​

Nk4E: Who is your favorite Initial D character?
Suzuki: All of them. They can all speak/read/write Japanese better than I can! Of course they are better right, because they are native Japanese. But for the rivals, I would have to say Joshima-san. Interesting technique, and he is the only one to take Takumi for a ride to help him improve as a driver. And for Project D, I would have to say Keisuke, because it seems like he is always learning something new. And I like his FD.​

Atteiros: What's in the name (Suzuki)?
Suzuki: Well, if you look at my register date, it was from way back when. "Join Date: Apr 24 2002" So as you can see, I joined 5 years ago. I think that’s right around the time GT3 came out. So yeah, I was a noob and used the escudo for all race events that I could. Therefore, I ended up picking the name Suzuki. I really need GTPremium, because along with supporting GTP, I would get to change my name and have more inbox space.​

Loon: Do you do any regular exercises to keep in tiptop drifting shape? If so, what are they?
Suzuki: To be honest, no, *laughs* but I need to as I am getting on the rusty side. I actually haven’t been drifting much lately on kai, I have been doing more *gasp* grip racing at the moment. But what I should be doing is getting on kai and just drift. Get some laps in. Usually I like to follow more than lead because it gives me a chance to work on improving/keeping my tandem skills in shape. I guess you could also consider the WRS as exercises. I like seeing the different sections it (WDS) provides. Although I have drifted the majority of them, some are new to me, and that’s good because it provides a challenge. Most people just practice at one track, I like to try and keep my tracks different. I also try to experiment when I go out. Try and find new ways of doing this corner, or that one, or maybe that section. Sometimes I think, "I wonder how early I can enter this section and make it?" or "I wonder how close I can get to that wall/object on entry and/or exit?" and I go and try it. If I fail, no big deal I get up and do it again. But this time I adjust my line or speed or the way I enter the corner to see if I can still enter it as early as I wanted. I test myself and try to have fun while doing it.​

Swift: How do you feel that Xlink helped your drifting and why?
Suzuki: Good question! It has helped me in many ways actually. Since we can only drift 100% stock cars with the only change to the tires (which cannot be staggered/mixed, not that I would want that anyways) it makes me adapt to the car, and makes me adapt the car to the track. I really get a feel for what the car really is, instead of feeling a tune or setup that I made myself. I can really tell the differences between each car and its characteristics, what it likes and dislikes. I LOVE xlink for its multiplayer capabilities (*ahem* tandems) on GT4. Tandem drifting will really help your footwork, because the closer you get to the car in front of you, the smaller your adjustments have to be. It takes great skill to get nice and close. So along with getting better at tandems, it helps your footwork in GTmode also because you have learned to make smaller, subtler adjustments. This leads to more smoothness, precision, and control.
N: How long do you practice?
Suzuki: It depends on how long others are on xlink, and who they are. If there is only a race room open, I will check out who’s there and if I want to race with them I do but If Bee (or whoever) is like "Dood! lets go drift now!" I’ll say alright set the room up.​

Tulok: Do you think the drift guide (with the s2000) is really a good way to learn to drift?
Suzuki: Blah, I guess I will have to go read it now huh? You guys are lucky you have all of these fancy guides explaining everything to you in detail. All you have to do is read, practice, read to figure out what you did wrong and how to correct it, and practice some more. All we had was just ourselves, if we did something wrong, WE had to figure out what it was that was! Now that I have read the guide, I will say yeah it’s a decent way to get to know the basics. But just reading by itself won’t get you anywhere, you need a lot of hands on to learn and get better. It is good that if you are having a problem, you can go to the guide and get a general idea as to what is going wrong. But also keep in mind, it is a guide, although it is helpful to new drifters it can only do so much until it is no longer of use.​

T: Do you think the song sitting sideways represents drifting?
Suzuki: O_o ....​

N: Do you think there is a way to drift a Balanced Subaru Impreza Spec C?
Suzuki: That Question would be more suited for someone who drifts AWD/4WD. I do not, nor do I plan to drift/try to drift AWD/4WD. From my grip experiences with this car(which is limited at best) is that it under steers. ALOT.​

T: Is it bad/noobish to put 5+ camber on your rear tires? I do that, and I read we shouldn't because it’s cheap, a while ago.
Suzuki: I certainly think so. Your contact patch goes from something like {===} to something like {| }. So, it is easy to get sideways with, but it wont let you accelerate as much if your camber was around say 1.5-2.5*. So, in a way (In my opinion) it is like perfume. It covers the problem up, not solves it. Plus, in real life, your tires wouldn’t last long at ALL, there would be TONS of heat buildup on the inside/part of the sidewall which in turn means they chunk/get greasy fast. When you are on a budget, you want your tires to last as long as they can while your drifting. Also, you still wont have as much control, and when you’re on the verge of spinning out, you need all the control you can get.​

Swift: Do you feel being on a team helped or hurt you develop your drifting skills?
Suzuki: Well, I think being on a team with others that are some of the best definitely didn’t hurt me! If anything, yeah I would say it helped me because they are for the most part more consistent than anyone else I have drifted with. (Except for a few certain people ahem widge, he is really good too, like my twin actually) And that really helps when you want to get better at tandeming because trying to tandem with someone who isn’t all that great or consistent just really doesn’t flow well nor does it help you.​

T: Is torque or HP more important when you are deciding to tune up one of your drifters?
Suzuki: Both are important, but it’s easiest to just look at the power when I’m building a new car since torque is a little hard to find at times. And that so called “Power Chart” is pretty useless imo. There is nothing to give you a reference as to the rpm or power/torque. Although some of us know that HP and TQ intersect at 5250 rpm, it is still pretty useless at times. I hope they fix that in GTHD/GT5, along with other small things in GT4 that bug me.​

N: How do you figure out your LSD settings?
Suzuki: I just Feel what needs to be done, and get it done. If I want more rotation mid drift by letting off or braking a little, then ill turn down the decel. Although I like the feel of a 2 way but sometimes I want just a little more from my differential. Usually if I go custom, my accell is always at 60, and initial around 30-50, then with decel I usually start at 60 and if I feel I need to lower it I do so.
A: Have you tried drifting an auto and manual and what are your opinions on both?
Suzuki: I can’t say I have actually. I have always used manual in all GT games I have previously had. Sorry. But I do think that they hinder you unless you use the shoulder buttons to hold or drop a gear, but if you’re doing that then why not use manual? There is less work involved in manual than trying to hold buttons down.
TheCracker: Do you agree that drifting isn't what it used to be?
Suzuki: *Laughs* Well, it definitely isn’t as underground and unknown as it used to be. It used to be just some guys having fun in the mountains, now it's turning into a motorsport of its own with a lot of tough competition.
Geoff: Is there any track section you wish you could do but is too hard to be done yet? Which ones look just so impossible?
Suzuki: Well, there are a few actually. (ok, there are a lot) They are all (except for Suzuka) in GT3, and are doable in it too! But with the physics change to GT4 they just aren’t possible anymore in my opinion. It kind of makes me sad, because they are good sections too! In the first few months GT4 came out, everyone thought that the DF double apex was just impossible without AWD, but that has since changed. I can often do that link on Xlink. Another section is Tokyo both reverse and normal, is the double apex there about ¼ and ¾ respectively the way though the track. And although I haven’t actually gotten on Gtmode and went after it, I don’t think it’s doable with the physics we have. Another section is in Seattle normal about ½ the way through the track. It’s the one right after the 90* at the hill’s and goes to the back straight. Although you can link parts of it, all of it I think is impossible. We would need just a little more (longer) runoff between the fist turn after the kink and second one. If we had that, I think it would be possible. Also on Seattle is the section right after the back straight to the pits is another fun double apex section that cannot be done. If the double apex’s turns were maybe 10-20 feet closer, it might work better for us. The very wide double apex (last 2 turns) on CSR5 cant be done either. It’s simply too narrow or long to be done from what I’ve experienced/seen. I haven’t seen this section done either, but I haven’t spent much time on it myself but that would be the Suzuka Spoon corner. Reverse would be fun, but both ways are hard and I have yet to do them with the little time I have spent on it. And lastly, Corner one and two going forwards on Suzuka full, but doing them backwards. It’s quite a stretch really, and is similar to the Spoon corner. I also haven’t spent much time on this either. Just trying to find some new sections for the WDS, I would spend maybe 5-10 minutes on it and move on.
Thanks for having me guys! I enjoyed it!

Widge and Suzuki at GVS in M3's

Widge and Suzuki in D1

WDS 10 entry, Tandem with Dking, suzuki is the chasing car.

not going to put any videos in it?

aww damn, i just realized it didnt keep the indented format i had it in. oh well, it was just an easier way to seperate the start of the question/answers from the rest of it.
and i just thought about this, but i should have grouped the askers questions together so they werent everywhere.
oh well.

I fixed the indent thing. So it's a bit easier to read now.

Excellent interview Suzuki. You gave some good answers and insight to drifting. 👍

Videos have been added, sorry about that guys, I accidently deleted the vids suzuki sent me.
And thanks for fixing that Swift.👍

I think the tandem videos could be improved if the camera was placed on the last pos. car with the far chase camera set. This way both cars can be seen drifting.

Back