RUF 3400S 00’ conquers Tuning Car Grand Prix championship

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hi another post...this time my third post for the GTP Forums...so here it goes...a little story I am putting on just to make things hopefully a bit interesting....

After the success with conquering the Pan Euro Championship (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93499)

Me and my team got an invite from GT and PD to compete the Tuning Car Grand Prix under the Professional Hall. Rather than getting a tuning car as most of the field were made up with tuning cars or modified cars that costs money. We decided to keep the RUF 3400S 00' and just equip it with racing hards and mediums bought from the RUF shop.

So after some discussing, we took the offer up and decided to have a crack at it:

Tuning Car Grand Prix (5 races)​

Tracks :
• Apricot Hill Reverse (3 laps)
• Fuji Speedway 90's (3 laps)
• Tokyo R246 (2 laps)
• El Capitan Reverse (3 laps)
• Tsukuba Circuit (5 laps)

When we got into the championship, the field looked like this....

Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00
Opera Performance S2000 '04
RUF RGT '00

Field were equipped with racing medium tyres

and of course....

RUF 3400 S 00' (ME) Tuned and equipped with the best parts except no turbo or NA tuning parts.361 BHP faster that the S2000 and the RUF 3400S.

TOTAL A-SPEC POINTS: 120 POINTS PER RACE X 5 RACES = 600 POINTS AVAILABLE

CHALLENGE: No qualifying for each race so starting at the back of the grid makes it a bit of a challenge...so let the championship begin....

1ST RACE: Apricot Hill Reverse (3 laps)​

We did a bit of practice but did not set a time...we did tune it up and equip it with racing mediums all round...we noticed one problem when braking the fronts were wearing out more than the back....and when testing the car first time I spun on the chicane and stalled. This was concerning as we braking from high speed this was causing massive oversteer. Our team got the car back without no damage to the pits...the only solution me and my team though was to equip hard racing tyres at the front with medium racing tyres at the back...after two laps in practice going out without setting a time...it was fine with a bit of understeer...ok lets go to the race...

The grid:

RUF RGT '00
RUF 3400S 00'

LAP 1:

A standing start with about 50,000 crowd waiting to see the race. the lights went out and the RUF took the lead and the Opera taking third from the Mine Evolution thanks to its power to weight ratio. I was able to get up to fifth place on the start overtaking the Nissan Nismo Skyline.
I was able to get fourth place after the Mine Evolution ran wide on the final corner and beating him on straight line speed....I was 1.4 seconds behind the RUF going into Lap 2.

LAP 2:

Tyres were mostly heated up and was able to pass Opera S2000 on the chicane after the first corner. I was able bring the gap down to the RUF to 1 second by the first split. The Mazda RX7 ran wide at the long 180 degree hairpin so I took the advantage to overtake him and managed to snatch second place. The RUF RGT the leader did not have a good speed on the exit of the final corner and I was on the slipstream by straight going into the final lap.

LAP 3:

I tried to pass the RUF on the first corner but made slight contact so he ran wide. This gave me the chance to then take him at the chicane which I did managing to cleanly around the inside and take first place. While behind me the Opera S2000' managed to overtake the Mazda RX7 into the first corner to take third place but way down on both RUF cars. I was able to stay in front pulling away from the RUF RGT and take the flag with 3 seconds in my pocket.

Race results:

RUF 3400S 00'
RUF RGT '00 3.234 seconds
Opera Performance S2000 '04 10.092 seconds
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 14.591 seconds

Points after 1st race:

RUF 3400S 00' 10 points
RUF RGT '00 6 points
Opera Performance S2000 '04 4 points
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 3 points
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00 2 points
Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00 1 point

After saying goodbye to Apricot Raceway...we moved onto and can catch a flight to the next round at Fuji

2ND RACE: Fuji Speedway 90's (3 laps)

Note: The grids from race 2 to race 5 are all the same and no chances.... so I will not be mentioning the grid for races 3, 4 and 5...
Grid (For races 2, 3 4 and 5)

RUF RGT '00
RUF 3400S 00'

LAP 1: Another standing start...the lights went out and managed to take fifth place away from the RX-7 thanks to its lighter power to weight ratio. The Opera did take third place away from the Mine Evolution but it overcooked the first corner got into the gravel and spun out facing the wrong way losing time. I was able to take advantage and take fourth place by the end of the first corner. The Nissan was in first place, the RUF in second place with the Mine Evolution in third. I was able to catch the Mine Evolution and tried to take him on the left hairpin before the chicane but failed, had another chance to take the Mine on the chicane before the final corner and managed to pass him. Also the Nissan ran a little wide and was snaking and managed to beat him to the power to take second place.

LAP 2: Out of the final corner and the long straight...my RUF peaked at 175 mph before braking and I was almost in the RUF draft but played it save and just get speed out of the corner and try to overtake him on the third corner.
The RGT did not get a good line out of the first corner and ran wide so I managed to take the power and cleanly got into him making slight contact to take first place. My 3400S was lighter than his so I was making up time in the corners and was pulling away from him going into the final lap. Whilst the Opera S2000 spun on the long right before the hairpin losing more time while the Mine, Nissan and Mazda were all packed together in the battle for third place.

LAP 3: Final lap...no dramas just keep pulling away from the other RUF and managed to take the win by 8 seconds to make it two out of two. While for the battle for third it was chopping and changing, with the Mine then had third on the third corner then lost out to the Nissan on the chicane and then the Mazda in trying to get fourth ran wide and lost fourth to the Mine car....in the end the Nissan took third place, with the Mine fourth and the Mazda in fifth place, seperated by 5 tenths of a second across the line, but were a fair way back from the two RUF cars.

Race results:

RUF 3400S 00'
RUF RGT '00 8.234 seconds

Points after second race:

RUF 3400S 00' 20 points
RUF RGT '00 12 points
Opera Performance S2000 '04 5 points
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00 5 points
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 5 points
Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00 5 points

Going into the third race....the two RUF cars were pulling away from the rest of the field as the Opera, Mine, Mazda and Nissan were all fighting for that credited third spot. Now moving away from Fuji and onto Tokyo R246 for the third race.

THIRD RACE: Tokyo R246 (2 laps)
Ah Tokyo and the street circuit of R246...a popular circuit with most people, in fact we were supporting the ALL JAPAN GT CHAMPIONSHIP (a bit of fiction but had to make it a bit interesting) as a support race so there was in total of 100,000 packed onto the fast but tricky street circuit.

In fact we had to before the race see we had to see which car was popular with the crowds...well the Japanese Tuning Cars took the limelight with the RUF RGT as well being a popular choice with the crowds and the girls. Not many people did not like our RUF 3400S 00' and one pit girl said our car looked like a "piece of blue junk" despite we were leading the Championship.

Well the whole field except ours had pit girls; entertainment stuff etc. looked like a full race team and had the business. Our team was a little low key and decided not to do any publicity at all this weekend and I stayed away from the limelight.

Oh well....anyway we were racing on a nice sunny day just before the All Japan GT Championship race...so here we go...

Another standing start...the announcer said gentlemen...start your engines...everyone was revving except me I had a problem...the engine would not start...and the lights were going out. I was able to get the engine going by 1...and then it was go...

LAP 1: Along the fast right into the fast straight, the field pulled away but I managed to snatch fifth place from the RX-7, and managed to take fourth from the Nissan who slipped back after the Opera managed to take third place. I was able to get into the straights as the Opera made a slight mistake into the fast right left before the double right handers and take third place from him. I was catching the RUF RGT in his mirrors and was in his draft going into the long straight. I was 0.723 seconds behind the RGT going into Lap 2

LAP 2: In his draft I was able to snatch first place going into the first corner and did it cleanly. Now the crowds were cheering as this little MR car was wowing crowds on performance not on looks. The Opera was holding off the Nissan as it was chasing for third. The Mine tried to overtake the RX-7 but overcooked it into the fast left hander after the hairpin right and lost time demoting him to last. I was pulling away from the RUF RGT and was 3 seconds by the end of the lap.

LAP 3: Just pulled away and was beating him on the fast but tricky corners...whilst the Nissan made a mistake trying to overtake the Opera and ran wide into corner 2, effectively costing third place with the Mazda safe in fifth place. I was to take the chequered flag and was 7.777 seconds ahead of the RUF RGT (nice number and guess it was my lucky day). With the Opera third, Nissan fourth, Mazda in fifth and the Mine in last. Despite the drama on the line I was able to finish the race first.

Race results:

RUF 3400S 00'
RUF RGT '00 7.777 seconds
Opera Performance S2000 '04 15.434 seconds

Points after third race:

RUF 3400S 00' 30 points
RUF RGT '00 18 points
Opera Performance S2000 '04 9 points
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 7 points
Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00 8 points
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00 6 points

Going away for Tokyo, I was able to keep my lead and gain 3/3, The other RUF was safe in second place and was probably most likely going to take the runner up spot. Now for El Capitan in California.

RACE 4: El Capitan Reverse (3 laps)
Before the race we had a chance to take a quick break looking at the El Capitan circuit located in Yosemite National Park, California. My team took the opportunity to take a walk and me and team discussed our next plans for racing, we agreed to take on the BRITISH G.T. SERIES and probably go into the ALL JAPAN G.T. CHAMPIONSHIP afterwards. Anyway we were back to the race and here's how it went:

LAP 1:

A standing start overlooking the beautiful national park in green forest. There was about a 35,000 strong crowds looking at the race as the lights went out and we were go. The RUF was holding off the Opera and the Mine as the Evolution was able to take third place. I was able to get a good start and by the end of the T1 split get into fourth place by taking the Nissan and Mazda before the bridge on the left and right turns. After the climb uphill and into the tunnel I made a pass on the Opera but he decided to ram right into me on the right, left bit where the sand was and he ran wide and spun around demoting him to last place...serves him right to be too cocky. Anyway I was able to pass the Evolution by the long hairpin and was able to catch the RUF into the main straight just before the second lap. Gap to RUF 1.234 seconds by end of Lap.

LAP 2: The Mazda and the Nismo were battle for fourth place while the RUF and Mine were both safe in second and third. I was able to pull away from those two as I was pulling about 1-2 seconds a sector while the Opera was down in sixth and last place. No drams or things happened as I was about 7 seconds from the RUF RGT going into the final lap.

LAP 3: The Nissan was trying his best to get past the Mazda but failed and could not go close so ended up finishing in fifth place. The Opera spun after the bridge and got into the gravel losing even more time and had to settle for last. The Mine was gaining on the RUF RGT but ran out of time and finished third. Nothing happened so effectively I won from the second RGT by 12 seconds from the Mine in third place.

Race results:

RUF 3400S 00'
RUF RGT '00 12.001 seconds

Points after fourth race:

RUF 3400S 00' 40 points
RUF RGT '00 24 points
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00 11 points
Opera Performance S2000 '04 10 points
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 10 points
Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00 10 points​

Overall I have won the title with the RUF in second place, making it a 1-2 for the tuned RUF cars. The Mine, Opera, Mazda and Nissan were all locked into battle for the covered third place. This was going to be a tense final race for those cars as we headed off to the final track which was Tsukuba Circuit.

RACE 5: Tsukuba Circuit (5 laps)​

Back to Japan and land of the rising of the sun and a track I am not really keen on...its too tight and twisty and no challenge. Anyway lets go to the race:

LAP 1: A rolling start, field get away cleanly and was able to get fifth place from the RX-7, while the Nissan and the Mine were challenging for second and third place with the Opera down in fourth still in the hunt. While the battle between second to sixth was separated by two seconds. The RGT was getting away but not much as I was trying to push though the field to get into second. I passed the Opera on the right hander before the left and the Dunlop bridge. I then passed the Mine Evolution car on the right hairpin by braking very light and getting away with it. And was able to pass the Nissan on the final right long hairpin and was gaining on the RUF RGT going into second lap.

LAP 2: I was hunting down the RUF RGT as the battle for third was separated by one second with the Opera getting third place from the Nissan, Mine and Mazda. I was chasing the RGT into the tricky midfield and was able to grab a chance on the straight after the right hairpin as he ran slightly wide and got the grunt on the straight to take first. The RUF 3400S and the RUF RGT were pulling away from the chasing third place back which were slowing themselves as they were chopping and changing each other. Gap to RGT to third lap: 1.429 seconds

LAP 3 AND 4: Nothing much happens as I am pulling away from the RGT by about 5-6 tenths a sector as he was in safe in second place. The Mine, Nissan, Mazda and Opera were changing hands for the battle for third place in the race and third place in the overall standings. The Opera led the third place until it was overtaken by the Nissan on the third lap into the left hairpin before the bridge, then the Mazda took the third place on the straight going into the fourth lap. The third, fourth, fifth and sixth place were all separated by just one and a half seconds but were about 7 seconds down on the RGT and I was 4.6 seconds up on the RGT going into the final lap.

LAP 5: Final lap, no dramas or hassle and made no mistakes, take the flag from the RGT by 6.4 seconds. The battle for third was still tense, the Opera had third going into the first corner but lost it as it ran wide dropping to fifth and the Mine went into the sand in the second corner as it was demoted to sixth. Now the battle was between the Nissan and Mazda as the Mazda led into right hairpin, it got clipped by the Nissan Skyline as it managed to overtake it on the final corner and managed just to hold on from the Mazda RX-7 to take third place by 0.128 seconds, with the Opera S2000 taking fifth after making the Mine Evolution run wide into the final corner.

Race results:

RUF 3400S 00'
RUF RGT '00 6.4 seconds

Points after fifth and final race:

RUF 3400S 00' 50 points
RUF RGT '00 30 points
Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) '00 14 points
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 (D1GP) '03 13 points
Mines Lancer Evolution VI '00 12 points
Opera Performance S2000 '04 12 points​

OVERALL:

I won the championship taking a clean 5/5 wins and with the RUF RGT in second was a good day for the outfit as we took one and two in the race and overall championship. While the Nissan managed to take Skyline to the gifted third place beating the Mazda, Mine and Opera all separated by just two points.

WINNINGS AND IN THE END....

10,000 credits for each race win equalling 50,000 credits
With a bonus 20,000 for winning the championship making me and the team 70,000 credits better off. Despite we had about 7 million credits in money alone before the race.

Also I won a nice but very different Nissan Option Stream Z '04 in a funky purple and yellow car which was designed by different tuners as my prize.

Also gaining a cool 600 A-Spec points in the pocket...very nice to boost my A-Spec point’s total.

Well that is the end of the championship and for the race report, hope you enjoyed it.

Feedback and comments are always welcome, until next time....goodbye everyone.​

Nice report sport. I am amazed! You are starting out GTP unlike anyone else I've seen. I bet you was studying this site before you signed up or something. Cool report. 👍

This was the first of your reports that I read, and I like the style you've adopted, clean and concise with enough race and pre-race information to keep a reader hooked. 👍 +Rep

Back