£6/gallon £1.32/litre are you using your car less?

• Thread starter blaaah
  • 69 comments
I live in the UK, I don't use my car less, in fact I have just bought a less economical car (21-22mpg).. at that rate it's about 25p per mile I think.. though paying that to commute does grate on me, I love my car, and I love driving... so for me £10 for a 50 mile blast on a Sunday is justifiable compared to the cost of other things I enjoy, such as a couple of rounds in the pub with my mate, or my Gym membership, or a take-away curry...

.. don't get me wrong the cost of fuel in the UK is horrendous, and for "a car is for getting from A to B" types it must hurt like hell.. but for those that enjoy driving, it's just part of the cost for a recreational activity.

Also, I'm not rich.. I always make sure I live close to where I work, so I always have alternatives to driving - just in case.

My last car was LPG, for those in the UK complaining about fuel prices.. buy an old LPG converted car off eBay. It DOES halve your fuel bills.

Last edited:
I have just bought a less economical car (21-22mpg).. at that rate it's about 25p per mile I think.. though paying that to commute does grate on me, I love my car, and I love driving... so for me £10 for a 50 mile blast
A 50 mile blast will cost you £12 if you did 25mpg. So it will cost you more than that if you get only 21-22mpg.
My car is meant to run on 98 octane so it costs 28p more per gallon than even the £6 a gallon 95 octane petrol. I haven't used the super fuel over the winter though.

It's nearer to $8 a gallon - the OP didn't convert from Imperial to US gallons.

It's worth noting that about $5.20 of that $8 is tax.
But it's totally worth it because you guys get top-notch state educations and free healthcare and old people can retire at 55. Right? And the most beautifully paved roads on the planet?

Ah so that's how America saves it's money.
But our roads are going to pot, literally. We don't have money for proper road repair any more.

But it's totally worth it because you guys get top-notch state educations and free healthcare and old people can retire at 55. Right? And the most beautifully paved roads on the planet?

"most beautifully paved roads"?
*hysterical laughter*

I've been there once, stuffed in the back of a Peugeot version of a transit, and I've seen better Tar and Chip over here.

also, keef, did you forget these guys pay a universal tax on everything running about 20% that PAYS for all that "free health care", pay five hundred bucks a year for the privelage of OWNING a TV set because the BBC doesn't have commercials, and the British education system is all specilizations.

It's not $500 it's £145.50.
Also you can own a TV set an not pay the license legally, for example to just use it for gaming (GT5) or watching dvd/blu-ray or for BBC Iplayer/internet video.
Don't you guys pay a universal tax?

A 50 mile blast will cost you £12 if you did 25mpg. So it will cost you more than that if you get only 21-22mpg.
My car is meant to run on 98 octane so it costs 28p more per gallon than even the £6 a gallon 95 octane petrol. I haven't used the super fuel over the winter though.

Yeah, I was guesstimating.

... also hysterical laughter for our roads, education and health service! Maybe if the government spent less time giving our taxes to lazy work-shy 🤬 and non-contributing "families" that continue to 🤬 out kids to make sure the government pays for their house and lifestyle, we may have these things - but we don't, a long way from it.

Last edited:
blaah: last I heard, the BBC licence fee was £250 a year
the only Universal tax we pay is on 15 April every year, and you only get that back once you've turned 70...by then, of course, it's only worth a tenth of what it was when you started working. for example, I worked with two former retirees who'd put away 100 grand for retirement over their lifetime getting a Union pay scale. by the time they retired, that entire hundred grand wouldn't buy even part of a house, but when they put it away, it had extra zeros in todays money on it.

did you forget your history? paying taxes was one reason the US broke away from the UK! (another one was the fact we were making more money under the table trading with the French at the time). there was no MP for the US colonies at the time.

MatskiMonk: glad I got something right. we have the same problem. the guys that don't work are the only ones Qualified to get help :P

which reminds me, they're killing the US version of Universal health care 'cause it's, as the Older English would say "Not Cricket"

Sureboss: I couldn't tell, but then again, us Yanks don't do Sarky very well, just Cheek :P

sorry if I fell into British Metaphors, but when you basically grow up on BBC imports cause the only channel you get is the American version of the BBC...

blaah: last I heard, the BBC licence fee was £250 a year

did you forget your history? paying taxes was one reason the US broke away from the UK! (another one was the fact we were making more money under the table trading with the French at the time). there was no MP for the US colonies at the time.

Nah,license fee is £145.50.
As for history I went to a crap state school (like most people). I did get taught the curriculum, but American history was not part of the history we were tort in government schools. Well actually we did learn some Native American history and the attacks by the Americans on them. After leaving school I did History A level, and American history was not covered in that either.

Back