◆ S.N.A.I.L. [Oval] Racing Series -- Back by popular demand. Racing August 31.Open 

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 358 comments
Thanks everyone for making this fun! Shall driving like I stole it the next time we do this, shall avenge the late race accident I ended up in! Haha :D

I saw that in my rearview mirror. Saw a car tag the wall, and then I saw another fly straight into the infield wall. Looked messy. Great racing with ya in the B final. That was a lot of fun, very consistent. Heck of a finish! I thought you had me.

I saw that in my rearview mirror. Saw a car tag the wall, and then I saw another fly straight into the infield wall. Looked messy. Great racing with ya in the B final. That was a lot of fun, very consistent. Heck of a finish! I thought you had me.
If only you had seen my face on that final stretch in the B event, it was somewhere between excitement and constipation!

I already have an idea about how to run the main events without any downtime for drivers that go straight through to the "B" or "A" main. It involves running as many main events as we have groups and using promotion and relegation between each race.

Example with 33 drivers:

"C" "B" and "A" main would have 11 drivers each. They would all run at the same time. Top three would move up and bottom three would move down.

Repeat that a second time with top three moving up and bottom three moving down.

Repeat that a third time for the last race of the night.

I would need more capable hosts in case the three that hosted tonight got into the same race at any time. More racing and less downtime is the goal but I want to keep the feel of a short track Saturday night with heat races and working your way through the main events.

You would still be able to work your way from the "C" to the "A" by the last race but everybody would be racing all the time. Why didn't I think of that sooner and why didn't someone else think of it and suggest it sooner.

Hope all had a great (and safe!) Labor Day Weekend!*

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program of close, clean, and kick booty racing!

* Labor Day, US, etc. (If needed on particulars, see: Wheaton's Law, not usually needed in SNAIL discussions)

Did anyone make it from the c to the b and in to the a

Yes, but in reality they shouldn't have been racing at all. They were in the "C" because they didn't run the heats and I allowed him to tag onto the "C" main. I got one story from the driver and another from the host of his room which was backed up by others. I won't be fooled again on something like that.

Did anyone make it from the c to the b and in to the a

I did, but only after someone gave up their position for me to get into the B main. I got lag bumped right after I made the pass for first on about lap 15. I did legitimately qualify for the A main with a 5th in the B.

I did, but only after someone gave up their position for me to get into the B main. I got lag bumped right after I made the pass for first on about lap 15. I did legitimately qualify for the A main with a 5th in the B.

I watched the replay of the "C" main and it was a bit of a mess. The lag was pretty much isolated to a couple or three drivers but with the tight racing, it affected more than that. Drivers who avoided the accidents and finished up front voluntarily gave up their transfer spots to drivers who were affected by the lag incidents.

I also added the next finisher to the "B" main because he was affected by the lag as well. That filled the room for the "B" main.

From the looks of it if I would have stayed in the room longer I would have transferred. .lol or maybe I didn't whin enough

From the looks of it if I would have stayed in the room longer I would have transferred. .lol or maybe I didn't whin enough

If you would have kept going, there was a good chance you would have transferred. There were numerous lag induced incidents in that race.

If you would have kept going, there was a good chance you would have transferred. There were numerous lag induced incidents in that race.
I was trying to give the spot back because it was a Grey area on the incident. Both drivers being at fault. Then he backed out. And I pitted. But for one thing it was fun.

I was trying to give the spot back because it was a Grey area on the incident. Both drivers being at fault. Then he backed out. And I pitted. But for one thing it was fun.
ya, I took a second to whine, then exitted by accident, so looking forward to trying again someday...

If anyone is wondering if i was the one lagging, i wasn't. Just that i didn't do too good with the Camaro at Indy SS. Had lots of fun.

If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind changing from a rolling start to a standing start in the Main events? I raced pretty crappy in the B Main, but that definitely threw me off from the start. I thought the rolling start worked just fine in the 2 heat races.

There was a weird glitch with a rolling start where one car started up ahead like 200ft from everyone else...

If I may ask, what was the reasoning behind changing from a rolling start to a standing start in the Main events? I raced pretty crappy in the B Main, but that definitely threw me off from the start. I thought the rolling start worked just fine in the 2 heat races.

They were not working properly. The first heat I did gave us a single file start and the second one gave us double file for the front half and single file after that. JoeW reported some similar issues from his room so I switched it up to the standing start. fzappa was the last one to report results and I had already made the decision to go to grid start before he even came in to report results from the heat races. It's entirely possible that his room didn't have any issues.

In addition to that, as Chevron mentioned, the spacing was not consistent through the field.

There was some crazy hiccup at the start of the first rolling lap in room 3. The car ahead of me (mid pack at start) slowed down before we were given control of our cars at the start. I couldn't tell if I ghosted through him or if he rubber banded up on ahead of me. Then I went noticeably slower as the game gave me control of my car.

The fact it happened before we were giving any inputs (I think of it as the pre-race animation) is what surprised me.

They were not working properly. The first heat I did gave us a single file start and the second one gave us double file for the front half and single file after that. JoeW reported some similar issues from his room so I switched it up to the standing start. fzappa was the last one to report results and I had already made the decision to go to grid start before he even came in to report results from the heat races. It's entirely possible that his room didn't have any issues.

In addition to that, as Chevron mentioned, the spacing was not consistent through the field.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of this, since I started 2nd in the heat 1 and 4th in heat 2. I guess it looked fine if you were up front, but got much worse the further back you started.

In our reverse grid heat race Ago7 started literally so far ahead we could barely see his car. In our first heat race the spacing was so bad that the second half of the field never even had a chance to draft.

Back