◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,804 comments
Ah.. I'd have the same issue as Apmaddock then since I'm all HDMI. Maybe Diabolic lays his down so he can hear the game audio while he's racing and that's why you always hear "No, NO, NOOooooo" way in the distance. :)

2 points for Spooble!

It plays full stereo audio.

I've been thinking of incorporating a few races into a not-so-regular schedule and advertising it here. I ran a race with the Vintage Car Racing Club and had great fun doing it, but their times are not very convenient for me. I figured I could run my own using a similar style and bring those of you who are interested into it, as well.

Basically we would be running a race or a few over the course of an hour to 90 minutes, using primarily Standard cars. The idea is to use a car that people might not use very often. Since many of us have very full garages, doing this shouldn't be difficult, but some may require people to find the car one way or another to compete. I would try to let people know long enough in advance so that they can find the car they're looking for either in the UCD or through trading/borrowing.

The races would vary in style, sometimes being a few races with one car on a number of tracks, sometimes several cars in a theme, sometimes just one mini-enduro or the like, but all would be one-make spec racing, just as the official S.N.A.I.L. races are. We may also be running races on custom tracks which would be made available for practice before the event.

Races would be at a similar time to most S.N.A.I.L. activities, starting probably around 10:00 or 10:30 PM EDT, and would adhere to the usual rules set by us and the GTP OLR. The events would, however, have to piggyback on other regular S.N.A.I.L. events, but would likely be less common and switch days to open it up to the most members and not become a rival to any other event.

Basically, I'm posting to ask if there is interest in this. Now that I seem to have conquered most of my internet problems and may have a headset and mic coming soon, I feel more confident in trying to do something like this.

Whaddya think?

I'm finalizing details on my Saturday night endurance races (which I will post up later today). You could probably run your idea on the Saturdays that I'm not going to be using. I have to work around my real racing schedule so I will only be using one or two Saturdays a month.

While I love the idea, Fridays and Saturdays are the worst nights for me. When the wife doesn't have to go to bed early to get up for work I'm expected to be paying attention to her.

Damnable husbandly duties.

I prefer using a blue tooth and running the audio through surround sound, which is currently my T.V. I like the separation of hte voice chat from the game. And I dont like wearing headsets for extended periods. gives me ear aches. I use the black, official ps3 bluetooth, I dont think you guys have issues hearing me, and its got a mute button, fits my ear good so I can wear it all day. Not a bad little device.

While I love the idea, Fridays and Saturdays are the worst nights for me. When the wife doesn't have to go to bed early to get up for work I'm expected to be paying attention to her.

Damnable husbandly duties.

Me and my fiance just had a talk about this. Said I spent to much time racing and when I wasnt racing, I was on here talking about racing. Which was very true. however, it was winter, what else to do? Now, well, all that free time she thought she freed up for me to spend with her, yeah, no. Now its a car, a Jeep and a bathroom being remodeled that take up that time. Yeesh

Unrelated to headphones:

Penalties:

Can we turn them off?

I have to admit, I've never been in an online series that uses penalties. I've only ever really played GT5 online, and I've been doing that for over a year now. Usually the rule is, if someone reports you for being too aggressive or cutting corners, then there is a review and you are penalized, or stripped of points, or kicked completely.

There was a discussion about watching the replays for people cutting at Deep Forest. If we are willing to put up with that, then how about put up with reviewing replays when people file grievances?

Twice last night I had problems with the penalties. Once, someone had suffered a penalty and gone intangible. They pass through me (or I pass through them). Then they turn tangible and it punts me off course (I was actually able to recover).

Later, I had an off. I've already messed up, I'm now being passed because I'm on the grass trying hard not to smash the wall or bounce into traffic. And then I get a penalty. Haven't I already been penalized by messing up?

Apmaddock
Ah, I wanted to say how relieved I am that things went well regarding my connectivity/compatibility issues last night. Hopefully that continues into the future. Just being able to get into the room with Hogster and seeing it work made me a bit giddy. In fact, I couldn't even keep the car on the road as I mostly kept checking to see if he was still there. (I'm full of excuses)

I'm planning on dropping some cash for a headset, soon. I've heard that the $100 Sony one is the one to get. Anyone disagree?

PX21- turtle beach $ 79.99. Best Buy

I've had two sets of turtle beach. The most expensive one and a cheap one. They both broke after about 4-5 months. I have the Sony wireless now and have no complaints. Sound good, have a mute button and no cords. I hated the cords on the turtles.

Saturday Night S.N.A.I.L. Endurance Racing

This is designed to be a series of longer races that will run on ten Saturdays from April 21 to November 10. The races will be contested using restrictions to KG, HP, and drivetrain. The race lobby will be set to tuning prohibited. Use of the power limiter is allowed. Please do not abuse this feature. Race director will have final say over the use of any car for any race. (this is to prevent someone from running a supercar at 275 hp and any other abuse of the power limiter).

In order to increase the diversity of cars on the track and keep it interesting, there will be a draft to pick your cars for each event. The order of the draft will be determined by a qualifying race for the first event. Subsequent event will have draft order determined by finishing position from the previous race. The draft spots will be randomized based on the finishing positions from qualifying and the race results. Race director will always have the last pick in the draft.

Qualifying laps for race one: Each driver must run a qualifying race in the lobby with the race director present. This race will be four laps at Suzuka using the ’07 GTR from the recommended list on racing soft tires. This must be done by April 14.

Draft procedure: In order, each driver will choose a car model they wish to use for the race. Each car model may only be selected once (exceptions may occur based on number of eligible cars). Example: Driver one chooses to use an Integra. No other driver may use any Integra.

Race specifics: Races will be scheduled to run for 1hr to 1hr 15min in duration. There will be a ten minute qualifying session to set the field for each race. Field will be limited to 12 drivers. If more than 12drivers wish to run, the fastest 12 will compete in the first race. After the first race the bottom two finishers would be replaced with the 13th and 14th place qualifiers from the original results. The two drives that were relegated would go to the bottom of the list of replacements. If there is enough interest, the series will use multiple lobbies.

Tire rules: Only racing compounds will be allowed in this series. Drivers will be required to use two different compounds during the course of each race. Drivers will not be allowed to run two different compounds on the car at the same time.

Car rules: Cars will be selected from a list of approved cars for each event. The list will be provided in advance of each event.

4/21 @ Grand Valley Speedway

BMW 135i
Chevy Camaro Z28 '69
Ford Mustang '07
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Jaguar XK Luxury Coupe
Mazda RX-8 '07
Fairlady Z 300 '89
Fairlady Z (z33) '07
Toyota Supra 3.0 GT '88

All cars are in the dealership so there isn't a problem with obtaining them. All cars must still be run at no more than 276hp (you will have to use the power limiter on most of these) and tuning is still prohibited. Sorry for anyone who has already started testing cars but this should make it easier for all who want to attempt the series.

Last edited:
Schedule:

4/21/12 FR 1300kg 276hp Grand Valley Speedway

5/12/12 MR 800kg 177hp Tsukuba

6/9/12 AWD 1500kg 404hp Deep Forest

6/16/12 MR 1300kg 384hp Indy Road Course

7/28/12 FF 900kg 207hp Cape Ring Inside

8/18/12 FR 1500kg 433hp Fuji F

9/15/12 FF 1400kg 305hp Nurburgring GP/D

10/13/12 AWD 1200kg 276hp Laguna Seca

10/20/12 MR 1300kg 502hp Daytona Road

11/10/12 FR 900kg 207hp Cote d’ Azur

Last edited:
I just looked at those. I wouldn't mind the wires, but since I run optical audio to the speaker system, I'm not sure that those would work without switching the output from the PS3 every time that I want to use them. Maybe I'm wrong/missing something.

Thanks for your recommendation, though!

Do the Sonys have a mute button?

P.S. Amazon has the Sony ones up for $88 right now, which isn't bad compared to the $50 for the Turtle Beach.

I've got a PS3 Bluetooth Headset 2.0 (around $50 from memory)....it's wireless and has a mute button. And it only puts out the voice chat, the game sounds come through the TV although I can hear people reefing the wheel when they spin out.

Bowler's series sounds similar to some of the V8 Supercar rounds where they have a soft and hard tyre compound and have to use each....it generally produces great racing at the end as some people are nursing the hard tyres while others are flying on the softs 👍

Last edited:
I think I'll go with the Sony wireless headset - the one with the full headphones. Part of the reason that I can even consider this purchase is that it will keep me relatively quiet on the PS3 while my wife tries to sleep upstairs. . . though my occasional outbursts over the mic might still keep her up at night.

Unrelated to headphones:

Penalties:

Can we turn them off?

I have to admit, I've never been in an online series that uses penalties. I've only ever really played GT5 online, and I've been doing that for over a year now. Usually the rule is, if someone reports you for being too aggressive or cutting corners, then there is a review and you are penalized, or stripped of points, or kicked completely.

There was a discussion about watching the replays for people cutting at Deep Forest. If we are willing to put up with that, then how about put up with reviewing replays when people file grievances?

Twice last night I had problems with the penalties. Once, someone had suffered a penalty and gone intangible. They pass through me (or I pass through them). Then they turn tangible and it punts me off course (I was actually able to recover).

Later, I had an off. I've already messed up, I'm now being passed because I'm on the grass trying hard not to smash the wall or bounce into traffic. And then I get a penalty. Haven't I already been penalized by messing up?

I've been subject to penalty mistakes as you described, I believe it's the exception not the rule though.

I 'think' the reason for using penalties was to keep the policing effort to a minimum. However, if we have people in each division that are willing to review races and act as stewards, turning penalties off could be an option.

But, before a decision is made, I'd like to hear some more viewpoints. Anyone?

kcheeb
I've been subject to penalty mistakes as you described, I believe it's the exception not the rule though.

I 'think' the reason for using penalties was to keep the policing effort to a minimum. However, if we have people in each division that are willing to review races and act as stewards, turning penalties off could be an option.

But, before a decision is made, I'd like to hear some more viewpoints. Anyone?

I'm cool with it and can actually review repays if you guys like

If we have stewards, then no need for penalties, I agree that it kind of sets up a double punishment. Most of the time if your getting a penalty, you've put yourself a) into the position to avoid an incident, b) off track enough that your going to lose position. And if neither is the case and it was done to cheat, then wham. No chicken Mofo! Stewards got this. Hey Bowler, if you want a fellow to help you out, I'll review races as well, maybe we can split the field. Then if we see an infraction, we can let the other know the track, race, spot, ect and have two eyes and minds to interpret things, making sure all angles are caught and all rulings are solid.

It plays full stereo audio.

I've been thinking of incorporating a few races into a not-so-regular schedule and advertising it here. I ran a race with the Vintage Car Racing Club and had great fun doing it, but their times are not very convenient for me. I figured I could run my own using a similar style and bring those of you who are interested into it, as well.

Basically we would be running a race or a few over the course of an hour to 90 minutes, using primarily Standard cars. The idea is to use a car that people might not use very often. Since many of us have very full garages, doing this shouldn't be difficult, but some may require people to find the car one way or another to compete. I would try to let people know long enough in advance so that they can find the car they're looking for either in the UCD or through trading/borrowing.

The races would vary in style, sometimes being a few races with one car on a number of tracks, sometimes several cars in a theme, sometimes just one mini-enduro or the like, but all would be one-make spec racing, just as the official S.N.A.I.L. races are. We may also be running races on custom tracks which would be made available for practice before the event.

Races would be at a similar time to most S.N.A.I.L. activities, starting probably around 10:00 or 10:30 PM EDT, and would adhere to the usual rules set by us and the GTP OLR. The events would, however, have to piggyback on other regular S.N.A.I.L. events, but would likely be less common and switch days to open it up to the most members and not become a rival to any other event.

Basically, I'm posting to ask if there is interest in this. Now that I seem to have conquered most of my internet problems and may have a headset and mic coming soon, I feel more confident in trying to do something like this.

Whaddya think?

Ap, would it be possible for you to run this series on Tuesday nights? Dirty said that he's no longer hosting on Tuesday nights so that leaves a gap in the S.N.A.I.L. schedule right now.

Saturday Night S.N.A.I.L. Endurance Racing

This is designed to be a series of longer races that will run on ten Saturdays from April 21 to November 10. The races will be contested using restrictions to KG, HP, and drivetrain. The race lobby will be set to tuning prohibited. Use of the power limiter is allowed. Please do not abuse this feature. Race director will have final say over the use of any car for any race. (this is to prevent someone from running a supercar at 275 hp and any other abuse of the power limiter).

In order to increase the diversity of cars on the track and keep it interesting, there will be a draft to pick your cars for each event. The order of the draft will be determined by a qualifying race for the first event. Subsequent event will have draft order determined by finishing position from the previous race. The draft spots will be randomized based on the finishing positions from qualifying and the race results. Race director will always have the last pick in the draft.

Qualifying laps for race one: Each driver must run a qualifying race in the lobby with the race director present. This race will be four laps at Suzuka using the ’07 GTR from the recommended list on racing soft tires. This must be done by April 14.

Draft procedure: In order, each driver will choose a car model they wish to use for the race. Each car model may only be selected once (exceptions may occur based on number of eligible cars). Example: Driver one chooses to use an Integra. No other driver may use any Integra.

Race specifics: Races will be scheduled to run for 1hr to 1hr 15min in duration. There will be a ten minute qualifying session to set the field for each race. Field will be limited to 14 drivers. If more than 14 drivers wish to run, the fastest 14 will compete in the first race. After the first race the bottom two finishers would be replaced with the 15th and 16th place qualifiers from the original results. The two drives that were relegated would go to the bottom of the list of replacements. If there is enough interest, the series will use multiple lobbies.

Tire rules: Only racing compounds will be allowed in this series. Drivers will be required to use two different compounds during the course of each race. Drivers will not be allowed to run two different compounds on the car at the same time.

Car rules: Only production cars are eligible for this series. No tuners, no race cars, no one-off creations. This means no Amuse, Nismo, TRD, or anything of the like. RUF will be allowed as they are classified as an auto manufacturer and give the car a new VIN number when they are finished with it.

Bowler,
This looks awesome! I've updated the S.N.A.I.L. schedule with your Saturday night event.

Snails,
In accordance with our divisional lounge system, these endurance races will take place in the SNAIL_Division2 lounge. Please send a friend request to SNAIL_Division2 if you want to participate in these races.

I believe that I could do Tuesday nights with some semblance of consistency. I'll try to come up with something for the first night, which likely will be April 3rd.

Stick around for further notice and official rules.

Now taking suggestions for prizes. The standard million dollar car is easy enough to do, but lacks in originality.

If we have stewards, then no need for penalties, I agree that it kind of sets up a double punishment. Most of the time if your getting a penalty, you've put yourself a) into the position to avoid an incident, b) off track enough that your going to lose position. And if neither is the case and it was done to cheat, then wham. No chicken Mofo! Stewards got this. Hey Bowler, if you want a fellow to help you out, I'll review races as well, maybe we can split the field. Then if we see an infraction, we can let the other know the track, race, spot, ect and have two eyes and minds to interpret things, making sure all angles are caught and all rulings are solid.

That sounds like a plan rally. I will be able to watch all the races on Monday morning and have a list of things to look at by Monday afternoon. I'd like to have the results be official by the time the new combos are announced.

Anyone who wants to run the endurance series should send me a PM either here or on PSN to set up a time to do your qualification run.

I have not made a lineup for friday as I'm unable to host again. :ouch:

My brother and I, along with our lady friends, are going to the symphony to hear selections from the final fantasy series. Nobuo Uematsu will even be there playing! The night doesn't start till 830 est and with 20 pieces scheduled there is no I'll be home in time.

Last edited:
I'm definately in for the Saturday endurance races, but I have a question about the idea of holding a "draft" for cars. Does this mean we need to show up with multiple cars prepared in case the one we want to drive gets chosen by somebody else?

I'm definately in for the Saturday endurance races, but I have a question about the idea of holding a "draft" for cars. Does this mean we need to show up with multiple cars prepared in case the one we want to drive gets chosen by somebody else?

No. The draft for cars will be completed in the days following the previous event. In the case of the first event, qualifying will close on the 14th and the draft will start on the 15th with the race being on the 21st. After that, I would like to take care of the draft immediately following each race.

You freaking arm-twisters! Just ordered the PX21 for $65 from Amazon.

PS. 1/8 to 1/4 stereo adapter into my receiver will keep me from "Noooooo"-ing like Diabolic. :)

spooble
You freaking arm-twisters! Just ordered the PX21 for $65 from Amazon.

PS. 1/8 to 1/4 stereo adapter into my receiver will keep me from "Noooooo"-ing like Diabolic. :)

Again! I got dicked on the price! LOL! You'll love those. Mute button works great when your requested to turn off mics.

Thank you heartily to Miss Devious, MoPar, kcheeb, and anyone else who helped me learn both what a line looks like, feels like (when I'm following a good driver... mostly :) ) and how not to dig myself in deeper.

Let me say that the advice I received the other evening continues to pay dividends (along with saving a copy of the practice race...) - while my 'best' laps of 1:31 aren't going to scare the leaders, my 'bad but non-accident' laps are 1:33... and I am enjoying it immensely.

I am learning to see lines, etc, but not on the NSX... yet! But I shall endeavor to improve.

Let me say that the advice I received the other evening continues to pay dividends (along with saving a copy of the practice race...) - while my 'best' laps of 1:31 aren't going to scare the leaders, my 'bad but non-accident' laps are 1:33... and I am enjoying it immensely.

I am learning to see lines, etc, but not on the NSX... yet! But I shall endeavor to improve.

👍 Keep up the good work! And have some fun while you're at it :)

Back