◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
I have an idea that I'd like to run by the membership here. I have in the past organized some longer races and race series that include the freedom to select any car that meets the event requirements. These races have been very well received by those that have participated in them and I'm thinking of bringing some of these races to S.N.A.I.L.

Generally speaking, the races would last around an hour and there would be a HP, Weight, and Drivetrain restriction in addition to prohibited tuning. Car selection would be limited to any production vehicle (this means no concepts, tuners, or racecars of any kind).

I would be looking for this to run once a month or maybe every other week on a Saturday. Time is open to discussion. If there is any interest in doing something like this, let me know and I will hammer out a set of rules specific to the event. Any suggestions are welcome.

Bowler, I like your idea and it looks a lot of the other snails do as well. 👍

The three things I like about it most are:

1. Tuning will be prohibited (so it falls in line with the non-tuning theme of our league)
2. It's something different (adds variety to the types of racing we do)
3. It's on Saturday (which is wide open on the S.N.A.I.L. calendar)

Feel free to add more details about your event whenever you want to. We'll be waiting to see what you come up with.

Prime example of why people cant race clean

I agree and first couple of "contacts" looked like it was on purpose, but I wasn't there. It could have been lag but I don't know. I have raced with him in practice and he seems like a clean racer, but the video paints a different picture. So I'm not sure what happened, but I can assure you that is not the Norm for the SNAIL group.

There are 2 sides to every story, so I would like hear from everyone involved in the accidents and hear what they have to say as well. The video does make a member of SNAIL look bad, and for that, I'm truly sorry. The group as a whole is a solid group of racers. I hope this doesn't change your opinion of this group.

In Div.1 we had a couple of minor issues, but nothing serious. The Div.1 races were smooth and FAST with lots of close competitive racing. Sparco, you know I run as clean as possible and I would not have asked you to join this group of racers if I thought they were questionable. I sincerely hope that you will not let this turn you away from the group. At least give this group a chance to make this right.

Last edited:
Could he see you guys on the track? He's had problems viewing drivers in the recent past. If that isn't the case, this is certainly an educational opportunity. The first one I can see getting caught up watching a car in front and missing a brake point, but I've nothing to say for the second. Either way these positions must be given back.

I agree and first couple of "contacts" looked like it was on purpose, but I wasn't there. It could have been lag but I don't know. I have raced with him in practice and he seems like a clean racer, but the video paints a different picture. So I'm not sure what happened, but I can assure you that is not the Norm for the SNAIL group.

There are 2 sides to every story, so I would like hear from everyone involved in the accidents and hear what they have to say as well. The video does make a member of SNAIL look bad, and for that, I'm truly sorry. The group as a whole is a solid group of racers. I hope this doesn't change your opinion of this group.

In Div.1 we had a couple of minor issues, but nothing serious. The Div.1 races were smooth and FAST with lots of close competitive racing. Sparco, you know I run as clean as possible and I would not have asked you to join this group of racers if I thought they were questionable. I sincerely hope that you will not let this turn you away from the group. At least give this group a chance to make this right.
I really liked racing with these guys except for this part,they all seem like professional racers and most likely ill come back next sunday and hope it goes well.

Could he see you guys on the track? He's had problems viewing drivers in the recent past. If that isn't the case, this is certainly an educational opportunity. The first one I can see getting caught up watching a car in front and missing a brake point, but I've nothing to say for the second. Either way these positions must be given back.
I would hope he can,I would hate for him to be racing while not seeing everyone on the track.

MLRSparco, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up I will. I got run off the road all night. In case anyone wondered why I always seemed to be engulfed in my own tire smoke. I could probably make an excuse for every car but the green one. The green car ran me off the road more than everyone else combined. And thanks for the video. That is exactly what I experienced.

I really liked racing with these guys except for this part,they all seem like professional racers and most likely ill come back next sunday and hope it goes well.

I'm glad you'll give us another chance. I can tell you're quick and will probably end up in Division1 eventually. However, tonight you only completed three races (two of them ending in wrecks) so your finishing position reflects that. Had you stayed to compete in Round 3, I'm sure you could have at least stayed in Division2, but you left so your point total is not high enough to warrant that.

That being said, you'll have some stiff competition in Division3 next week. For example, leadbedr will be in there with you. The only reason he finished last tonight is because he only competed in Round 3.

I would hope he can,I would hate for him to be racing while not seeing everyone on the track.

I can tell you with full certainty that Apmaddock didn't wreck you intentionally. In fact, I'd bet the farm on it. My choice of words there is no coincidence. He literally lives on a farm and therefore does not have a high-speed connection. He's been experiencing lag issues and has not been able to see others on the track for as long as he's been racing with us. I'll let him speak for himself on the matter, but just wanted to give you some background info.

I have a fabulous time racing with everyone in Div 1 tonight.

I realize I'm new and I'm not up to speed on the procedures here, so I'll just ask it here - When should I post what prize I select.

MLRSparco, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up I will. I got run off the road all night. In case anyone wondered why I always seemed to be engulfed in my own tire smoke. I could probably make an excuse for every car but the green one. The green car ran me off the road more than everyone else combined. And thanks for the video. That is exactly what I experienced.

I'm sorry you experienced what Sparco did as well, but please see my reply to Sparco's post. In no way am I justifying what went on, but I can tell you that he's been a clean driver from my experience with him. Again, I'm going to let him speak for himself on the matter, but I'm sure he feels horrible about this.

That being said, I'm about to post preliminary results from Sunday night. I am not going to dock any points from Apmaddock until he at least has a chance to read these posts. Once he's able to tell his side of the story, we'll make a decision from there.

I'm glad you'll give us another chance. I can tell you're quick and will probably end up in Division1 eventually. However, tonight you only completed three races (two of them ending in wrecks) so your finishing position reflects that. Had you stayed to compete in Round 3, I'm sure you could have at least stayed in Division2, but you left so your point total is not high enough to warrant that.

That being said, you'll have some stiff competition in Division3 next week. For example, leadbedr will be in there with you. The only reason he finished last tonight is because he only competed in Round 3.

I can tell you with full certainty that Apmaddock didn't wreck you intentionally. In fact, I'd bet the farm on it. My choice of words there is no coincidence. He literally lives on a farm and therefore does not have a high-speed connection. He's been experiencing lag issues and has not been able to see others on the track for as long as he's been racing with us. I'll let him speak for himself on the matter, but just wanted to give you some background info.

Yea im sorry for leaving i was just kinda still mad from the crashes.But I have no problem working back up form whatever division I've been placed in now.And as far as APmaddock is concerned I have no problem with him its just going to be really hard racing with him if he's behind me,I guess its a good thing that I've been bumped down to Division 3.

I have a fabulous time racing with everyone in Div 1 tonight.

I realize I'm new and I'm not up to speed on the procedures here, so I'll just ask it here - When should I post what prize I select.

Glad to hear you had a good time in Division1, and congrats on the overall victory! You can post your new car and track choice whenever you want to. We just ask that you decide by Monday night, but it seems like you may have already made up you mind..

Here are the official results from Sunday night's league races. jlbowler and Mighty_mopar finished tied in points for 2nd place, but jlbowler wins the tie-breaker because he had more race victories during the night (2-0). jlbowler, has decided to select Prize B. Therefore, Mighty_mopar gets Prize C.

I've also adjusted the results to reflect Apmaddock's DQ's in both of the Round 2 races. He scored 10 points in each race, so that means he's been docked 20 points total. This has resulted in him dropping from 8th place in Division2 down to 14th place. Therefore, aubdogg is now in 8th in Division2 and will no longer be relegated to the newly formed Division3:
6840242116_70fae6321e_b.jpg

Division1
1st: M1SS-D3V10US ----- selected Prize A
2nd: jlbowler ------------ selected Prize B
3rd: Mighty_mopar ------- selected Prize C
4th: Diabolicwyvern ------ voted to eliminate Round 2
5th: ckoerner210 -------- voted to eliminate Round 2
6th: rallywgn81 ---------- voted to eliminate Round 3
7th: AG07WRXTR -------- voted to eliminate Round 2
8th: kcheeb ------------- voted to eliminate Round 1
9th: racefan78 ----------- did not submit a vote
10th: whatbadgerseat ---- voted to eliminate Round 1 relegated to Division2
11th: dvdoughboy -------- voted to eliminate Round 2 relegated to Division2
12th: Puddin_Head_ ------ voted to eliminate Round 1 relegated to Division2
13th: g-MachineREX ------ voted to eliminate Round 1 relegated to Division2
DNR: spooble ------------- did not race, but provided advanced notice

Division2
1st: ND_4_SPD_Naruto ---- voted to eliminate Round 2 promoted to Division1
2nd: ADR_BRONCO -------- voted to eliminate Round 3 promoted to Division1
3rd: tcrash15 ------------- voted to eliminate Round 2
4th: ImToLegitToQuit ------ voted to eliminate Round 2
5th: KissMyGlock ---------- voted to eliminate Round 2
6th: AJK-VAIL ------------- voted to eliminate Round 1
7th: zer05ive -------------- voted to eliminate Round 1
8th: aubdogg -------------- voted to eliminate Round 2
9th: cmbeal317 ------------ voted to eliminate Round 1
10th: Psycho-Tuber -------- voted to eliminate Round 1
11th: MLR_SPARCO --------- did not submit a vote relegated to Division3
12th: The__Reaper --------- voted to eliminate Round 1 relegated to Division3
13th: aDirtySpic- ----------- voted to eliminate Round 1 relegated to Division3
14th: Apmaddock ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3 relegated to Division3
15th: leadbedr -------------- voted to eliminate Round 3 relegated to Division3

The round that received the most elimination votes was:
Round 1 - Acura NSX '91 @Tokyo R246 / Reverse
Therefore it has been dropped from next week's line-up. Since M1SS-D3V10US selected Prize A, she gets to decide which car and track will replace it.

The round that received the second most votes was:
Round 2 - Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02 @High Speed Ring
Therefore, either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since jlbowler selected Prize B, so he gets to decide which is replaced and what replaces it.

Mighty_mopar got Prize C, so he gets any car he wants (up to $999,999).

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had a good time in Division1, and congrats on the overall victory! You can post your new car and track choice whenever you want to. We just ask that you decide by Monday night, but it seems like you may have already made up you mind..

I was just wondering how much time I have to pick. I'll make my selection tomorrow night.

Woo hoo for no more nsx!!!!

I had fun as usual last night. Until last night I hadn't yet experienced excessive bumping or dirty driving but I guess I had some bad luck last night. It's all good i guess.

Can't wait to see the new combos, practice time!

I hope D2 is a little bit cleaner next week as it was in D1, The racing part was fun as always but D1 is just too FAST.... Well for now anyways. See everyone next Sunday!

I had a long winded response all typed up but deleted it.

In short, I would like to just say thanks to everyone for participating. Due to this league, I've been playing this game more and more and it's been enjoyable. On Sunday's, it's serious, which it should be. On the other nights of the week, it allows for practice, learning, and some nights a stress reliever in the form of cat and mouse. And of course, the bottom line being fun on all nights.
Thanks again to all.

Great time. Im not sure if this is true or not, but i had heard the Physics are different Offline vs Online, so if this is true, i would suggest practicing online to get "True" results vs your compitation, just my $0.02

I knew it! Is this true???? On the last corner of High Speed Ring in the RX-7 I kept "floating the rear end" and losing control. Never had a hint of that when I was offline in "Practice" mode.

The cars all felt a little less stable, like I had gone down a half tire grade or something.

Is it best to practice in your lounge, instead of "offline"?

I knew it! Is this true???? On the last corner of High Speed Ring in the RX-7 I kept "floating the rear end" and losing control. Never had a hint of that when I was offline in "Practice" mode.

The cars all felt a little less stable, like I had gone down a half tire grade or something.

Is it best to practice in your lounge, instead of "offline"?
very much so. always practice in either your lobby, or an online lobby. The physics are "looser." I'm guessing this is to free up some processor power for handling the online data packets.
What patch are we on now 2.06? back when 2.03 was implemented, there was a physics bug that would effect online races with 14 or more racers, with or without voice. For some reason it would hit shuffle races more often. The bug would cause extreme changes in physics and the clock would slow down, and no longer reflect an accurate lap time. But I think they got that cleaned up like 2 days later.

Hey Bowler, since you won the tie breaker, any chance you would let me pick prize B? :)

I havent read everything so i will respond to all of it tonight.

Had a lot of fun last night, as always. Except on the High Speed Ring, that track befuddles me for some reason.

Thanks and apologies to Bowler. We got together on the final corner at the HS Ring, I'm not sure if it was him or me that caused it, but he was a true gentleman and waited for me. A good reminder to everyone, if you think you caused it, let them back through, Bowler was in an intense battle for first place overall, he waited ...

Well, this sucks.

First off, a sincere apology to anyone that I ran into yesterday. That kind of behavior obviously does not represent what those in S.N.A.I.L. are here for, nor does it reflect the kind of racing that I pride myself on. These are races that we all wait all week in anticipation of; to have them ruined through dirty driving is terrible. I'm horrified that I was the cause of that.

Next, my excuse, of course. :P I've looked back at the replay as saved on my PS3 (I saved all six to watch faster racers' lines and just to go back and see what happened in parts of the race that I couldn't see.) In the first High Speed Ring race I could not see you, Sparco. In the second, I could not see Psycho or Sparco, though I did not realize it at the time.

I knew going in that I probably was never going to be able to see Bronco, and just hoped that it would be a non-issue since he could not see me, either. In fact, I figured that even if our two cars occupied the same space at the same time, neither would be effected. That seemed to be the case.

Things were obviously different, though, when it came to Sparco and Psycho. I could not see them, but they could see me. If they ended up in the same space as me on their screen, it led to a crash, but as you can tell in the videos it seems to be a crash in which I am nearly unaffected. In the second race, I actually gain ground on Naruto despite running through two other cars.

On the other hand, when I ran through the space that appeared empty but actually contained one of the cars that I could not see, I drove on completely unaffected, not changing course nor heading from contact, nor losing or gaining speed or even hearing a bump.

What makes this really weird is that in other races I could see those other cars.

In fact, in the first race, I tried to take Psycho on the inside of a turn and I ended up sending him off course. I pulled up and let him back past me because of it. When I know that something like that is happened, I do what I can to correct it. I surely would have seen spinning cars in my rear view mirror at the High Speed Ring if I could have seen them at all, and would have let them back up.

I don't know why I could not see those other drivers, yesterday. I imagine the major traffic in the room was partially to blame. I've never had a problem with seeing other cars, before or that I know of, until Bronco and I first got into a room together.

Anyway, I will surrender all of my points for the High Speed Ring races. This will put me into Div. III with Sparco and Psycho again, but hopefully I can make things right with them when I can actually see them on the course. The side benefit is that Bronco and I won't be in the same room, so if our conflicting networks were the cause of more than just our two cars not seeing each other, it won't happen when I'm in Div. III.

Furthermore, I hope that the smaller groups next week will also serve to eliminate the problem.

In the meantime I will see if I can approve my NAT type or any other thing that may help the issue. I've tried before with no success but will give it another go.

If it will ease anyone's mind, I'll record a video of the race from my perspective, though the quality of that video is sure to be sketchy, at best.

Hey all, thanks for Sunday night races. I always enjoy getting a chance at driving and racing and obviously know I had no business in the D1 races, so I just did my best to get out of the way and fade to black. I have no Idea how the heck I did good enough to even get into D1 honestly. I couldn't come close to any of D1 drivers times with no traffic and perfect practice conditions, so throw in traffic and forgedabout it!! But it was fun, and I didn't want to be a poor sport and just duck out on the evening.
That being said, I just wanted to get some feedback from you drivers, since there was some previous talk of bumping, shoving, and all that annoying stuff. Here’s the thing in my world. I do my absolute best, obviously to a giant competitive fault, to avoid any contact whatsoever. Overall, I do a pretty good job. When I contact someone, it's usually, 9/10, a quick moment when I lose concentration or look in the mirror and miss a breaking point at the end of a straight away. It happens it seems to many drivers and when truly an accident is usually followed up by an apology.
Anyway, lately, and certainly for the most part, it's not S.N.A.I.L. action, but whenever I do decide to give the race a good go and stick in traffic, it's a G..D.. F*&% fest with the bumping and people playing bumper cars. It will be like going down a straight away, trying to pass, and somehow contact is made. OMG that pisses me off. How the f hard is it to not touch my car? I swear it's like I have a sign on my car that says "okay to test paint durability here" or something. Even as the room host, it happens. Are you kidding me?? I had to kick some dude out of the room after he blocked then spun me, and a message came later of course stating how I was a poor sport. I’m supposed to just look the other way after blocking and then a spin?? I KNOW I'm not a top driver, first to admit, but if I can avoid contact in the most basic situations, holy crap, how is it that fast, experienced drivers cant? And forget about going into a turn, or braking after a straight......then it's 10X worse.
Okay, now that I got that off my chest...I must need some tutoring or something in my driving. I mentioned this to some of the SNAIL fellas Fri or Sat night about being gun shy about even trying anymore because I'm always the one that seems courteous, but pay for it off in the grass somewhere. Advice came back with a resounding "no, you have to stand your ground", "that's what I used to do", "stick in there", etc etc. So, I gave it a go several times on Sunday throughout the day. Nope, every single time, it was to my detriment. Somehow, and that’s my question I think, it seems like my car is the most easily knocked off kilter. All other parties involved seem to race on. Leaving me feeling like it can only be something I'm doing wrong. Of course my hanging back method doesn't work either because I'm just not fast enough to catch up. So overall, I find myself trying to invent a reason to keep racing in the game. Now when I drive, I honestly try to imagine that I really am driving a car that was expensive and I actually want to race it again, and don't have Bill Gates type cash flow. Is that a mistake? Take our top 3 D1 drivers from last night.... when they are reverse grid and start at the back and have to battle each other, plus slower drivers, but always end up in front....I know they have to experience what I mention....how do they keep from being the loser of the bumper car battle?? Top all that off with the blistering speeds some of you can do which seem like they are from another planet, and it's all I can do to convince myself not to go to Entertainmart and trade everything in. If it wasn't for the basic joy I get from driving the cars, and pretending that I'm a decent driver, I would.
So, what am I doing wrong? Even the most basic 3,2,1, start, everyone pulls away from me. I know there is a gigantic thread on shift points, but one would think every once in a while, especially same make cars, that wouldn't happen with regular, up to redline shifting. You should see me checking my wheel connections hoping possibly it’s a connection issue or something. lol I'm truly impressed and enjoy watching our D1 drivers blaze around the track, but at the same time it's extremely discouraging. It is absolutely mind boggling to me when I try to figure out what I'm doing wrong in my driving that keeps me so slow. Say Tokyo in the NSX....my best, all out, balls to the wall, no paint scuffs, or smoke from tires, and I eek out a 2:02. (I realized last night I never did re-build the motor, or refresh the chassis.....could that help?) I mean I have to find some way to take about 7 seconds off my lap time, and I just have a hard time believing that all 7 seconds would come from driving error. When I do have a brief moment of keeping up with fast people, my lines seem to be very similar. Break points, break pressure, exit points...I'm not so sure of and suspect that is a major issue.
So, all that rambling and complaining is just to get it off my chest and hope to get some advice from any S.N.A.I.L members. I really do love the game and will keep trying no matter what because it's the kind of frustration that keeps me motivated to get better. (seem to have hit a plateou lately though) What I would really appreciate along with some tutelage, would be if some fast drivers would please send me a ghost or two (any track or tracks) so I can actually see exactly what it is I'm doing wrong in my driving. Maybe just 1 or 2 tracks will do the trick. Whatever I learn on one track about my deficiencies, I can apply to any other. On top of that, maybe some advice on how to handle the inevitable bumper car syndrome. I’m obviously doing something way wrong there to in the polite thing. I’ve noticed in rooms when it happens to the host, it’s “don’t touch me”, when it happens to someone in room, it’s “hey, that’s part of racing”. Which is it? I’m lost.
Okay, thank you and again, sorry for the rambling and bitching. Not directed to anyone of course, just here because I now know some fast, knowledgeable and very nice, kind and fun folks I can ask.
Thanks, g. (the only TRUE S.N.A.I.L.) ;-)

I'm willing to help out as needed for the sake of the league. I really like this group, so far, and I'd like to help offer my support in any way I can.

With that being said - Mopar and I have opened rooms all week for practice and have been offering helpful tips and advice to make for more competitive racing. Last night we helped Zero, and a couple of others (sorry I cannot recall the names ATM) but I know that I helped Zero to shave off about 2 or 3 seconds from his lap times at Daytona & about .500 of a second for High Speed Ring. Mopar & I are more than willing hare our knowledge with anyone and everyone in the S.N.A.I.L. group. There isn't any magically Driving Secrets that will make you a Driving Super Star. However, there are driving techniques that will make you help you to be faster in a series our for a complex turn, and it's usually just 1 simple change that will make a huge difference. Mopar & I offer this knowledge freely because we love close competitive racing. ...I just thought I would throw that out there for anyone who may want it.

Pick me Monty, pick me :)

I'll be taking both of you up on this generous offer. The writing's been on the wall for a couple of weeks, I need help. I've taken what I've read about as far as I can. I need some objective and constructive criticism to improve. And I do want to improve 👍

And I'll jump in the helpful rooms as well. I always love tips. It's just that ghosts are extreamly valuable too as a tool to see where one is gaining or losing. Way more effective for me personally than verbal help over the mic. Everyone learns differently. So, I'll be in any rooms I can get into. I have a feeling I need to avoid the "fun" rooms and spend more time in the practice rooms. LOL, I always wanted to put my finger on the reason why I'm not a cat and mouse fan....or why I just can't imagine how "dirty" rooms can be fun. I HATE contact....for me it is more of a simulater than arcade game. I would love to race cars in the real world, so this is most likely the closest I'll ever get. Oh, another chunck of advice I'm going to take is to work more on my licenses. Someone told me that getting gold in all the licenses took him forever, but made him a much better driver. Any truth to that with some other SNAILS?

Close finish in D1. 64,60,60,59. Had I not spun all by my lonesome last lap on the bus stop the first daytona race...coulda should woulda had second. HSR was my nemesis again as the d-pad and last corner there are a horrid mix. I qualified 8th and ran 5-8 for both but it was tense. Apologies for taking ckoerner out. We were three wide with someone and I blinked. I did wait, but still I'm disappointed about it happening. Looking forward to next week.

Make a proper choice, Bowler. :sly:

Last edited:
Back