◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
I would like to join
@Munch2487,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

GOOD NOW I DONT FEEL BAD FOR MINE BEING LATE

:boggled:
If you don't want your pictures to be so dark, play with the exposure setting (EV) going up or down accordingly can fix the harsh lighting onn some of the tracks, like Nurburgring, Motegi and Spa.

Edit: Never mind. In light of other activities going on at the present time, this post was not needed.

Last edited:
D3 Pictures from last Sunday. Better late than never.

Evo Merc @ Nurburgring

Snail Rainbow! Turnupdaheat gets the pole at Nurb.

The Apex at Turn 1. Everyone wants to be there!

@Dragonwhisky and @Schmiggz putting some pressure on @Troggy

@Dragonwhisky & @Troggy trailing @Xradkins. DW keeps nice and tight through the turn but can't complete the pass.

Battle for 2nd. X, Troggy and DW putting heavy pressure on my Merc. @turnupdaheat leading @ lap 2.

Tiny mistakes lead to big changes on track. I go from 2nd to 4th from a minor mistake.

And now I have to battle it up with DW for 4th.

@Xradkins takes the lead from @turnupdaheat and @Dragonwhisky takes 4th from my bones.

At the finish line 2nd and 3rd just hundreds of a seconds difference.

SNAIL Rainbow Part Deux! Xrad takes the pole! Congrats!

Tight quarters at La Source but pretty clean overall.

Turn 2 and looks very colorfull.

This was a very interesting and strange race. Made multiple mistakes but was able to hold to 2nd and pass No. 10 3 times (not easily done) @Wolfsatz takes a draft pass from @Schmiggz at Blanchimont. Slight contact is made. Then I made the 1st mistake, getting 2 tires on the rumble strip before the chicane and I get 3 seconda penalty. @Schmiggz takes 2nd from me.

2nd lap. Schmmigz gets a little loose Les Combes. This is a classic Ghost Pass! and I know it!

But because I hate when others do it to me; I gave posiiton back on the next opportunity before turn 10.

after getting 2 tires on the rumble stips I go drifting and @Schmiggz takes position back for the 2nd time; not sure how I did it,, but I was able to keep DW at bay and I never left the track.

Next lap at Eau Rouge take advantage of the draft and pass @Schmiggz again.

Sponsored by Cool as Ice Gum... @JoeW colours looking pretty Cool!

Battles of the 2s for 3rd place. @JoeW goes inside at the Chicane and steals 3rd from @turnupdaheat

From the Pole to Checkers @Xradkins takes advantage of the many mistakes from the rest of the field and wins it by a mile.
Awesome photos, @Wolfsatz ! Well worth the wait!

A visual example from today's 12-hour Sebring race of how not to re-enter the track:

Wow, that was terrible...

D3 Pictures from last Sunday. Better late than never.

Evo Merc @ Nurburgring

Snail Rainbow! Turnupdaheat gets the pole at Nurb.

The Apex at Turn 1. Everyone wants to be there!

@Dragonwhisky and @Schmiggz putting some pressure on @Troggy

@Dragonwhisky & @Troggy trailing @Xradkins. DW keeps nice and tight through the turn but can't complete the pass.

Battle for 2nd. X, Troggy and DW putting heavy pressure on my Merc. @turnupdaheat leading @ lap 2.

Tiny mistakes lead to big changes on track. I go from 2nd to 4th from a minor mistake.

And now I have to battle it up with DW for 4th.

@Xradkins takes the lead from @turnupdaheat and @Dragonwhisky takes 4th from my bones.

At the finish line 2nd and 3rd just hundreds of a seconds difference.

SNAIL Rainbow Part Deux! Xrad takes the pole! Congrats!

Tight quarters at La Source but pretty clean overall.

Turn 2 and looks very colorfull.

This was a very interesting and strange race. Made multiple mistakes but was able to hold to 2nd and pass No. 10 3 times (not easily done) @Wolfsatz takes a draft pass from @Schmiggz at Blanchimont. Slight contact is made. Then I made the 1st mistake, getting 2 tires on the rumble strip before the chicane and I get 3 seconda penalty. @Schmiggz takes 2nd from me.

2nd lap. Schmmigz gets a little loose Les Combes. This is a classic Ghost Pass! and I know it!

But because I hate when others do it to me; I gave posiiton back on the next opportunity before turn 10.

after getting 2 tires on the rumble stips I go drifting and @Schmiggz takes position back for the 2nd time; not sure how I did it,, but I was able to keep DW at bay and I never left the track.

Next lap at Eau Rouge take advantage of the draft and pass @Schmiggz again.

Sponsored by Cool as Ice Gum... @JoeW colours looking pretty Cool!

Battles of the 2s for 3rd place. @JoeW goes inside at the Chicane and steals 3rd from @turnupdaheat

From the Pole to Checkers @Xradkins takes advantage of the many mistakes from the rest of the field and wins it by a mile.

Round 3
Technical issues with my throttle and my hopes for another podium vanished. So instead, I will help some of the junior or new photographers get a grasp of the basic camera controls. I think @JoeW gave some tips previously, and I want to do something similar with pictures.

First of all let me announce the winner of the most interesting helmet contest @JLBowler

F Stops
This setting controls the depth of field (what is on focus), the lower the number the narrower the depth of filed will be, just like the bowling ball picture above which is at F1. The following picture also illustrates a very narrow depth of field, bringing the helmet in focus and pretty much everything else blurred even the Bull.

In contrast, the next picture has a wide depth of field and even when I am using the zoom, the setting at F22 allows me to have focus almost completely on the whole frame which has 4 subjects of importance.

Exposure Value (EV)
So you frame the perfect shot, but then your picture comes to washed out or way too dark. Here a simple trick to remember and use the EV setting.

This picture is taken inside the tunnel and I have compensated the EV value to -1; as you can see, you can read the signs outside the tunnel and the Bulls have good natural feel.

In contrast, the same picture without the EV correction. You cannot see any of the signs to the right and the light over X's car is harsh and destroying any detail.

Shutter Speed
This setting controls how long the lens allows light to enter the camera. The higher the number the quickest the lens will close allowing you to 'freeze' moving objects. This shot was taken with 1/2000s which means the lens opened and closed within 1/2000s of a second.

Almost the same shot but taken at 1/60 allows for the moving effect and using the helmet as a focus area. This is not a panned shot.

Panned Shots
Panning means that you are following the subject (car) while taking the picture; which combined with a low shutter speed allows for very dramatic effects, blurring and the feel of speed; these type of shots are very popular in the racing world.

This shot was taken using the Panning mode 3; notice how the car is in focus while the rumble strips and asphalt has the blurred effect. Again, this is achieved by moving the camera and following the subject of interest.

This one is taken with Pan mode 2, which I really don't know what the difference between 2 and 3.

I hope this is helpful and allows you to take more creative photos; play around with the settings and be brave. Sometimes you get awesome shots by mistake but no one will know it was that. :cheers:

A message from the D3 Photography Office.

Last edited:
Round 3
Technical issues with my throttle and my hopes for another podium vanished. So instead, I will help some of the junior or new photographers get a grasp of the basic camera controls. I think @JoeW gave some tips previously, and I want to do something similar with pictures. I guess I am also a professional photographer since I was paid many times to shoot weddings and portraits; that is how I financed my photo equipment.

First of all let me announce the winner of the most interesting helmet contest @JLBowler

F Stops
This setting controls the depth of field (what is on focus), the lower the number the narrower the depth of filed will be, just like the bowling ball picture above which is at F1. The following picture also illustrates a very narrow depth of field, bringing the helmet in focus and pretty much everything else blurred even the Bull.

In contrast, the next picture has a wide depth of field and even when I am using the zoom, the setting at F22 allows me to have focus almost completely on the whole frame which has 4 subjects of importance.

Exposure Value (EV)
So you frame the perfect shot, but then your picture comes to washed out or way too dark. Here a simple trick to remember and use the EV setting.

This picture is taken inside the tunnel and I have compensated the EV value to -1; as you can see, you can read the signs outside the tunnel and the Bulls have good natural feel.

In contrast, the same picture without the EV correction. You cannot see any of the signs to the right and the light over X's car is harsh and destroying any detail.

Shutter Speed
This setting controls how long the lens allows light to enter the camera. The higher the number the quickest the lens will close allowing you to 'freeze' moving objects. This shot was taken with 1/2000s which means the lens opened and closed within 1/2000s of a second.

Almost the same shot but taken at 1/60 allows for the moving effect and using the helmet as a focus area. This is not a panned shot.

Panned Shots
Panning means that you are following the subject (car) while taking the picture; which combined with a low shutter speed allows for very dramatic effects, blurring and the feel of speed; these type of shots are very popular in the racing world. Other examples are night shots of the sky, or freeways with the red lights across the freeways.

This shot was taken using the Panning mode 3; notice how the car is in focus while the rumble strips and asphalt has the blurred effect. Again, this is achieved by moving the camera and following the subject of interest.

This one is taken with Pan mode 2, which I really don't know what the difference between 2 and 3.

I hope this is helpful and allows you to take more creative photos; play around with the settings and be brave. Sometimes you get awesome shots by mistake but no one will know it was that. :cheers:

Excellent explanation!

Round 3
Technical issues with my throttle and my hopes for another podium vanished. So instead, I will help some of the junior or new photographers get a grasp of the basic camera controls. I think @JoeW gave some tips previously, and I want to do something similar with pictures.

F Stops

Exposure Value (EV)

Shutter Speed

Panned Shots
Panning means that you are following the subject (car) while taking the picture; which combined with a low shutter speed allows for very dramatic effects, blurring and the feel of speed; these type of shots are very popular in the racing world.

Panning mode two pans the camera on an axis while panning mode three pans on two axis accentuating the effect a little more.

Who's genius idea is to televise the first 2 hours of the Sebring race and then forget the rest of the race. IMSA is broadcasting car cameras but that is not very informative; especially at night time.

Anyone know of a web link where this may be webcasted TV like?

Last edited:
Running 5 laps at Ascari will put some of the divisions nearing 13 minutes for total time. In the RED room on Thursday, we ran 4 laps in round 1 and 9 in round 3.

I agree. Both of the first two combos should produce laps in the 2:30 range (+-6 seconds, depending on division). In a practice earlier this week, @Neovre and @fizzer ran 4 laps of Ascari in 9:59.

In the same vein as JLBowler's profession of not being rigid and refusing to change.

The laps and qualifying periods for each race are now as follows;

• Round 1, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 2, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 3, 9 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.

To all hosts, directors and scorekeepers, if you are entering scores in the Director's document tomorrow night, and do not have permissions for some things, specifically, sorting, I will be in the document and will keep an eye on each divisional tab and sort them as I see they are not. Keep in mind, I will be racing as well, PD and Sony and the internet gawds willing, so it may be several minutes after you enter scores from one or more races, before I am able to get it sorted by score.

Last edited:
In the same vein as JLBowler's profession of not being rigid and refusing to change.

The laps and qualifying periods for each race are now as follows;

• Round 1, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 2, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 3, 9 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.

To all hosts, directors and scorekeepers, if you are entering scores in the Director's document tomorrow night, and do not have permissions for some things, specifically, sorting, I will be in the document and will keep an eye on each divisional tab and sort them as I see they are not. Keep in mind, I will be racing as well, PD and Sony and the internet gawds willing, so it may be several minutes after you enter scores from one or more races, before I am able to get it sorted by score.

Another note for the hosts/directors. Do not add drivers names to the sheet unless you are specifically requested to do so by myself, kcheeb, or zer05ive. I can't think of anyone else that would be moving drivers. If a driver is not already in the scorekeeping document, it means they are either not in that division, not an active driver, or has not yet run the time trial to be placed.

I was looking at pictures from a long time ago and wanted to see what you thought. I decided to make them look like this to get some old school taste.
Alpine 3rd Place.jpg
Alpine Catching up.jpg
Alpine Close up.jpg
Alpine Countryside.jpg
Alpine Downhill.jpg
Alpine Dwonhill Straight.jpg
Alpine Grid.jpg
Alpine Peak.jpg
Alpine Racing Hard.jpg
Alpine Side-by-Side.jpg
Alpine Turn 1.jpg
Alpine uphill.jpg

The GrandStand III Point standings brings me to a page that only says
"Oops! Google Chrome could not find xn--https-yv3b".

As of this post, here is the current list of the
Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge picks. If you are a finalist, please post on this thread that you agree to the terms and conditions of the contest and that you're ready to make your picks. Once @@KTR5 authorizes you to proceed with your numbers selection, click the 'Reply' button below and then add your name next to any numbers that are still available. Be sure that you don't make more picks than the number of picks you have earned. Once you're done making your picks, you need to delete the text above the Allen Berg Racing SChologo (it looks like this: [qu0te="username, post: 1234567, member: 123456"]). After you've deleted that, hit the 'Post Reply' button down below. Please be sure that you are replying to the latest list before making your picks. Good luck!

00 - Racingchamp30
01 - Jobyone
02 - GranStand_Bill
03 - sharkb8ii
04 - PTslopoke
05 - KTR5
06 - shmibal_GT
07 - TEX36
08 - nmcp1
09 - GranStand_Bill
10 - Schmiggz
11 - Schmiggz
12 - Jobyone
13 - MerlinRPM
14 - sharkb8ii
15 - FBR_Steve
16 - Handlebar
17 - MerlinRPM
18 - Nic-KL
19 - GranStand_Bill
20 - Nic-KL
21 - wvhellbilly
22 - sharkb8ii
23 - Jobyone
24 - nmcp1
25 - Racingchamp30
26 - goofytyler
27 - TEX36
28 - nmcp1
29 - shmibal_GT
30 - Racingchamp30
31 - nmcp1
32 - Handlebar
33 - FBR_Steve
34 - Ptsopoke
35 - Nic-KL
36 - TEX36
37 - GOAT
38 - Nic-KL
39 - GOAT
40 - GOAT
41 - GOAT
42 - MerlinRPM
43 - Racingchamp30
44 - Ptslopoke
45 - jobyone
46 - Racingchamp30
47 - goofytyler
48 - sharkb8ii
49 - FBR_Steve
50 - Schmiggz
51 - MerlinRPM
52 -
53 - GranStand_Bill
54 -
55 - KTR5
56 -
57 - Dgaf95integra
58 -
59 - Nic-KL
60 - Dgaf95integra
61 -
62 - FBR_Steve
63 -
64 - jobyone
65 - sharkb8ii
66 - Handlebar
67 - Dgaf95integra
68 -
69 - MerlinRPM
70 - nmcp1
71 -
72 - Nic-KL
73 - goofytyler
74 - KTR5
75 - shmibal_GT
76 - wvhellbilly
77 - KTR5
78 - jobyone
79 - TEX36
80 -
81 - sharkb8ii
82 - wvhellbilly
83 - GranStand_Bill
84 - Dgaf95integra
85 - Handlebar
86 - Nic-KL
87 - Dgaf95integra
88 - nmcp1
89 - jobyone
90 - Skills
91 - FBR_Steve
92 - Skills
93 - Dgaf95integra
94 -
95 - Dgaf95integra
96 - GranStand_Bill
97 - MerlinRPM
98 -
99 - Skills[/quote][/quote]

It works for me now :confused:. I know ones thing for sure, I don't work well with Google Docs :lol:, just hate the look of it.

As of this post, here is the current list of the
Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge picks. If you are a finalist, please post on this thread that you agree to the terms and conditions of the contest and that you're ready to make your picks. Once @@KTR5 authorizes you to proceed with your numbers selection, click the 'Reply' button below and then add your name next to any numbers that are still available. Be sure that you don't make more picks than the number of picks you have earned. Once you're done making your picks, you need to delete the text above the Allen Berg Racing SChologo (it looks like this: [qu0te="username, post: 1234567, member: 123456"]). After you've deleted that, hit the 'Post Reply' button down below. Please be sure that you are replying to the latest list before making your picks. Good luck!

00 - Racingchamp30
01 - Jobyone
02 - GranStand_Bill
03 - sharkb8ii
04 - PTslopoke
05 - KTR5
06 - shmibal_GT
07 - TEX36
08 - nmcp1
09 - GranStand_Bill
10 - Schmiggz
11 - Schmiggz
12 - Jobyone
13 - MerlinRPM
14 - sharkb8ii
15 - FBR_Steve
16 - Handlebar
17 - MerlinRPM
18 - Nic-KL
19 - GranStand_Bill
20 - Nic-KL
21 - wvhellbilly
22 - sharkb8ii
23 - Jobyone
24 - nmcp1
25 - Racingchamp30
26 - goofytyler
27 - TEX36
28 - nmcp1
29 - shmibal_GT
30 - Racingchamp30
31 - nmcp1
32 - Handlebar
33 - FBR_Steve
34 - Ptsopoke
35 - Nic-KL
36 - TEX36
37 - GOAT
38 - Nic-KL
39 - GOAT
40 - GOAT
41 - GOAT
42 - MerlinRPM
43 - Racingchamp30
44 - Ptslopoke
45 - jobyone
46 - Racingchamp30
47 - goofytyler
48 - sharkb8ii
49 - FBR_Steve
50 - Schmiggz
51 - MerlinRPM
52 - d3uc3_dropp3r
53 - GranStand_Bill
54 - Pifachu
55 - KTR5
56 - d3uc3_dropp3r
57 - Dgaf95integra
58 - Pifachu
59 - Nic-KL
60 - Dgaf95integra
61 - d3uc3_dropp3r
62 - FBR_Steve
63 - Pifachu
64 - jobyone
65 - sharkb8ii
66 - Handlebar
67 - Dgaf95integra
68 - d3uc3_dropp3r
69 - MerlinRPM
70 - nmcp1
71 - Pifachu
72 - Nic-KL
73 - goofytyler
74 - KTR5
75 - shmibal_GT
76 - wvhellbilly
77 - KTR5
78 - jobyone
79 - TEX36
80 - d3uc3_dropp3r
81 - sharkb8ii
82 - wvhellbilly
83 - GranStand_Bill
84 - Dgaf95integra
85 - Handlebar
86 - Nic-KL
87 - Dgaf95integra
88 - nmcp1
89 - jobyone
90 - Skills
91 - FBR_Steve
92 - Skills
93 - Dgaf95integra
94 - Pifachu
95 - Dgaf95integra
96 - GranStand_Bill
97 - MerlinRPM
98 - Pifachu
99 - Skills

This is the final tally of the picks. Captain @zer05ive, you have the bridge.

Back