◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,811 comments
Comparing my connection speeds from Speedtest - guess I better not try Hosting rooms anymore. Have no clue what Ping, etc. mean ...... out here in the country we really don't talk about that stuff in the Coffee Shop each morning.

I spent more time in practice mode last night trying to discover lost time. This game really has me learning from scratch how to be quick. I know the driving lines, I know where to brake, and I know where to turn-in but that isn't enough anymore. This game is about tire management on every corner.

In GT5 if the tires weren't squealing you weren't going fast enough. I managed speed through a corner by making sure the tires were consistently at their limit.

But now in GT6, "Slow(er) in, fast(er) out" is basically the best way to put it. It's not good enough to just race by the sound of the tires. The ABS doesn't help you shave time as easily either. I'd say it is more realistic because when engaged it is harder to get the car to turn in. ABS keeps the car braking in a straight line.

So with practicing cool tires and less 100% braking I was able to improve my lap times conservancy over the course of an hour practice session.

Monza times went from 2:14 to 2:11.7 (and more consistent 2:12s).
Monaco times went from 1:43 to 1:40.9 (and lots more 1:41s and 1:42s)

I just hope I can get into that rhythm come race day. I know these aren't the fastest times reported but keep in mind I am still right-foot-braking.
This are very very fast times. Are you guys sure you Aren't cutting chicanes? I'm not the fastest, but to know that there is 3 seconds to find on my best laugh makes me wonder if it is being done clean. .2 tenths is a huge gain. Where are you finding this time

Monza times went from 2:14 to 2:11.7 (and more consistent 2:12s).
Monaco times went from 1:43 to 1:40.9 (and lots more 1:41s and 1:42s)

I just hope I can get into that rhythm come race day. I know these aren't the fastest times reported but keep in mind I am still right-foot-braking.

Pretty good times! Left foot braking usually gets you less than a second benefit, depending on the car and how its set up, but when 10ths start to matter, it can definitely give you that edge.

Don't be too afraid to lean on the tires though. You have to treat them nicer than in GT5, but there are cases when its fastest to be turning them red briefly. I haven't done much testing, but I get the feel that conserving tires doesn't make up for the lower cornering speed necessary to conserve. If you are really over driving the car the wear will catch up with you, but especially in these sprint races your overall time will be faster if you finish with some tires dropping to 8 or 9 rather than seeing the checkers with all 4 still 10. Seems that below 8 is a steeper fall off in grip loss due to wear.

This are very very fast times. Are you guys sure you Aren't cutting chicanes? I'm not the fastest, but to know that there is 3 seconds to find on my best laugh makes me wonder if it is being done clean. .2 tenths is a huge gain. Where are you finding this time
I've personally "watched" people turn similar lap times legally. It can be done, just not by me.

I
I've personally "watched" people turn similar lap times legally. It can be done, just not by me.
From the sounds of it, I don't belong in d3 if these are the times d4 and d5 guys. A good 2 seconds off in every combo bu the rocket. 4 there.

Comparing my connection speeds from Speedtest - guess I better not try Hosting rooms anymore. Have no clue what Ping, etc. mean ...... out here in the country we really don't talk about that stuff in the Coffee Shop each morning.

Were you ever in the Navy? That's where the term originates and in both cases it refers to the time it takes for a signal to travel from point A to point B and back.

Just a heads up, the color number chart has been cleaned up and the new divisions have been added to the questionaire.

It could also be that your ISP gives you "up to 100Mbps", but you'll only get that during a new moon, when the wind is blowing to the east, and you do a rain dance before you connect.
True, but to be over 40mb/s slower than advertised is rediculous. That is 2 packages below my ISP's 100mbps service, or nearly $100 bucks extra on my bill for a service that is two packages lower than I am paying for. No thanks, not gonna except that under any word smithing the ISP may try to finagle.

PDTX, one more thing to consider is the time of day and amount of activity on the network you are connected to. If you have 100+mbps internet than your ISP is running fiber. How this works is all of the houses and businesses around that area all have a cable running to their house/place of business. THose cables then run to a box, not unlike the old telephone boxes, in the box is a big switch/converter that takes the analog signal running to/from the house and converts it to digital and shoots it down a fiber line, the diameter of which is about the sive of your wrist, with hundreds of strands of fiber inside, that runs back to the ISPs servers. What this means is that there is a finite amout of bandwidth, constrained to the amount of data that can run on the line of fiber. The more people in your area that are using the internet, the more you have to share that bandwidth, thus causing your connection to be slower.

Hello,
This is IINovaII I raced for a brief time last year, but real life got kinda of busy. I would like to rejoin the races. I'm not sure I can make every Sunday, but would like to get as many races in as possible. Please send me further instruction. Thanks.

Those times I posted were in practice mode with tire wear off. Take them with a grain of salt. I don't know how different the grip physics are. I do know the car feels the same though because I went right from an online lobby to practice mode and started by posting similar times before I whittled them down.

Regarding chicane cutting....

I saved my replay at Monza and double checked. Turn 1 might have had the football coach throwing the challenge flag but replay evidence could not overturn the lap. The rest of the chicanes were spot on to get the 2:11.7. I also suggest very light braking (absolutely in a straight line) before turns 4 and 5. Hard braking really upsets the chassis and its quicker to coast through these corners. There is easily a 2:10 if I throw together all my best corners. I'm sure the D1 guys will post some quicker times than me.

As for Monaco. There is only one chicane to cut and let me tell you, you don't want to even so much as touch that rumble strip to get a fast lap. Of all my sub 1:42 laps I was completely off the L-shaped rumble strip every time. When you hit it, the car bounces off the track and kills your exit speed. I think I may have had one decent lap where I ever so slightly clipped the front tire but usually a line involving the rumble strip would be too wide exiting or cause me to spin the tires when the chassis finally settled down. On several occasions the car just flipped over. I had the same happen on turn 1 if I snagged too much rumble strip.

Regarding tire preservation....

My comment wasn't so much about preserving tire wear as it was preserving tire temp for when you need it. However it does kill 2 birds with 1 stone. There are track/car combos where letting the tires go yellow/red is fine but I don't think it helps on these tracks.

Regarding divisions....

Based on the last 2 weeks there are a few D5 guys that will likely get bumped up soon. We are too quick for the slower guys in the division to compete with...however in-race lap times reveal we aren't really misplaced, we are just more consistent. Once the green flag drops I don't think I'll see any 2:11s or 1:40s....I just race at a casual pace and try to avoid mistakes.

Were you ever in the Navy? That's where the term originates and in both cases it refers to the time it takes for a signal to travel from point A to point B and back.

Yes-and thought it might have the same meaning. But, old words are many times used in new ways - so I didn't want to assume anything to do with "Tech Stuff". Thanks for taking time to answer the quandary.

From the sounds of it, I don't belong in d3 if these are the times d4 and d5 guys. A good 2 seconds off in every combo bu the rocket. 4 there.
Could be that they are running faster times than the rest of the guys in their divisions. Maybe they'll be moved up next month, who knows. Also, as we know, setting a fastest lap doesn't mean you will win the race. In the end it's about who finishes first, not who had the fastest lap.

What are you running in the Rocket?

I never really care what TV shows other people watch and never really try to get others to watch what I watch but I have been watching a comedy on TBS called Men at Work that I feel is just the funniest show on TV. It's been on for a couple of years but I think you can watch reruns online on TBS.

Comedy is so subjective but I urge you guys to at least try it once. Watch the first two episodes of season three online and give it a shot. I know when people say I should watch something I usually end up not. But the first two episodes of this season are so damn funny I feel compelled to at least try. If this show ever gets cancelled then it might be because I never told people about it :)

I never really care what TV shows other people watch and never really try to get others to watch what I watch but I have been watching a comedy on TBS called Men at Work that I feel is just the funniest show on TV. It's been on for a couple of years but I think you can watch reruns online on TBS.

Comedy is so subjective but I urge you guys to at least try it once. Watch the first two episodes of season three online and give it a shot. I know when people say I should watch something I usually end up not. But the first two episodes of this season are so damn funny I feel compelled to at least try. If this show ever gets cancelled then it might be because I never told people about it :)

I agree with you on this Joe! Men @ Work is hilarious.

Jack, my luck is heaving an 18 year old at home and lately Dragonwhisky on the headphones cause most of this tech crap sounds like cantonese to me :D :D : D

Those times I posted were in practice mode with tire wear off. Take them with a grain of salt. I don't know how different the grip physics are. I do know the car feels the same though because I went right from an online lobby to practice mode and started by posting similar times before I whittled them down.

No tire wear / offline times are usually around a second faster depending on the track/car. I learned that the hard way my first week in snail, I only practiced offline and had to adjust all my reference points real quick come race time!

My current PBs in online lobby w/ raceday settings are 2:11.8 at Monza and 1:40.6 at Monaco. I think I can squeeze a high 39 out of the Caterham, but the Dino probably won't lose much time for me by Sunday.

@zer05ive When you get a chance, could you update anything that links to the S.N.A.I.L. OLR so that it will direct to the top of this page. Thank you.
The first post has been updated to the new OLR. 👍

Btw, what does the "1" next to the title of the new OLR represent?

The first post has been updated to the new OLR. 👍

Btw, what does the "1" next to the title of the new OLR represent?

I don't know how that even got there and I didn't notice it before you said something. It's not showing up in my word document where I have it saved. It must be something that popped in there from copying a post that was made with the old forum and pasting it back in using the new forum. I will go ahead and take that out now.

Back