◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,808 comments
The main problem for with the high powered cars on sports tires is the power oversteer.

This was my main issue, once I got used to slowing down enough to initiate turn in.

If this fix doesn't work, I'm requesting to be able to run a new time trial and be placed in a different division based on my ability with a controller.

Great, we're going to be needing a new Division, we'll call it zer0 :lol:

Heya, D3. I'm watching the replays and can see a couple of times where I may have been showing some minor lag. I just realized that my wife was on the internet in the other room trying to get some work done.

My apologies if it caused any issues. I doubt it, though, as I was often in the back and lonely. ;)

I can tell you its not the tires, its the drivers. These tires were actually pretty grippy.

You can tell me what you want, but I prefer to believe what I see. I saw less talented drivers in D5 last week have half as much contact as the more skilled drivers in D4 this week. The video speaks for itself (when it's up that is). One of the problems is PD's lackluster effort in the tire modeling and keeping it real and consistant. I am a very clean driver and have always taken pride in that. However, I find that the relative grip I have on one lap changes completely on another lap (for no apparent reason) and even I bumped some guys last night. It's almost like Kaz is simulating there being oil on the track or something like that. One lap you hit a brake point, the car slows and you turn in. the next lap, same gear, same speed, same turn in and zip, off you go, no grip whatsoever. I just think that the racing is better when everyone has more control over their car and I see that when softer tires are used :)

You also saw about seven drivers on track last week and 14 this week. Also, last week the field was much more spread out due to a greater disparity in talent.

I've heard other people claim the grip changes from time to time on the track but I have never witnessed it myself so I don't know what to make of that.

You can tell me what you want, but I prefer to believe what I see. I saw less talented drivers in D5 last week have half as much contact as the more skilled drivers in D4 this week. The video speaks for itself (when it's up that is). One of the problems is PD's lackluster effort in the tire modeling and keeping it real and consistant. I am a very clean driver and have always taken pride in that. However, I find that the relative grip I have on one lap changes completely on another lap (for no apparent reason) and even I bumped some guys last night. It's almost like Kaz is simulating there being oil on the track or something like that. One lap you hit a brake point, the car slows and you turn in. the next lap, same gear, same speed, same turn in and zip, off you go, no grip whatsoever. I just think that the racing is better when everyone has more control over their car and I see that when softer tires are used :)

The softer tires will mask some of the shortcomings of driver skill. The softer tires will allow drivers to race closer to each other without as much incidential contact. These same drivers may or may not have the skill to race the same way on harder tires where more of their concentration should be toward controlling their car.

Good close racing can be had with any type of tire provided the drivers involved have the skill to controll their car and race against other drivers at the same time.

There are many variables that occur from lap to lap in a race. There is a slight amount of tire wear from lap to lap. There are also other elements in play. The "groove" on the race track will have more grip than the area of track slightly off the "groove". There is a fairly pronounce "aero push" effect in the game. This means that if you are following another into a turn, your car will have reduced front downforce and will not turn as well.

I saw less talented drivers in D5 last week have half as much contact as the more skilled drivers in D4 this week.

I love being called less talented;) Perhaps the fact that there was less contact in division 5 means that they are more talented and are simply slower because they are not over-driving?

JLBowler
The softer tires will mask some of the shortcomings of driver skill. The softer tires will allow drivers to race closer to each other without as much incidential contact. These same drivers may or may not have the skill to race the same way on harder tires where more of their concentration should be toward controlling their car.

Good close racing can be had with any type of tire provided the drivers involved have the skill to controll their car and race against other drivers at the same time.

There are many variables that occur from lap to lap in a race. There is a slight amount of tire wear from lap to lap. There are also other elements in play. The "groove" on the race track will have more grip than the area of track slightly off the "groove". There is a fairly pronounce "aero push" effect in the game. This means that if you are following another into a turn, your car will have reduced front downforce and will not turn as well.

Well said Bowler, Ive also noticed the different behavior of the car when following somebody. Also of course the extended braking distance.

That brings up a point not all may be aware of:

If you're behind another car, even if you are traveling at the same rate of speed, you may actually need to start braking before the ahead car in order to stop at the same point/come to the same speed at the same position on the track.

Easy to understand, immensely difficult to judge on-track.

I love being called less talented;) Perhaps the fact that there was less contact in division 5 means that they are more talented and are simply slower because they are not over-driving?

With regard to ANFD disparaging comment about the lack of driving skill in D5: Sir - Since you scored 98 points out of a possible 100 indicates that you were racing in a division far beneath your abilities. No one in D5 was able to challenge your superior skills and abilities. I suspect a High School Senior would be better able to give correct answers to 1+1, 2+1, 3+1 ...... than unequal 1st graders. I'm glad you have been promoted to a much better division ....... maybe you will completely blow them away and move on up to D1 someday. Meanwhile, those of us in D5 will continue to learn, make mistakes, be corrected, try again, and again, and again ....... and still enjoy the racing on Sunday nights. I'm very sorry that you had to endure an evening in D5 and put up with our lack of experience. Your ability may have gotten you promoted ....... but your attitude toward other drivers needs to be put on a Probation of some sort. Respectfully, though with some irritation, I submit these comments for your edification and improvement.

None of us is going to make a living doing this, none of us is going to die because of this. When you wake up tomorrow, your PS3, GT5 Game Disc and 60" Plasma will still be there for you to have another run at it.
I would add "another run at it ... probably."

I am probably going to make ... sigh... another account while I work on rediscovering what I did wrong when I made the other one. :ouch:

Wife is calling me crazy - but that's not new. :crazy:

Division 4 Mayhem :D

Nissan Fairlady Z at Grand Valley:

SGPracing leading the pack through turn 1
GrandValleySpeedway_24.jpg

Sandstorm? No, just someone running a touch wide on the exit of the hairpin
GrandValleySpeedway_27.jpg

Aubdogg employing some James Bond style tactics :sly:
GrandValleySpeedway_31.jpg

An error early on by SGPracing let me get way out front....
GrandValleySpeedway_33.jpg

....and take a comfy victory in my new colour debut
GrandValleySpeedway_36.jpg

Race two saw....uh, you guys sort out who was who :scared:
GrandValleySpeedway_37.jpg

Goat managed to break up the yellow car party for the lead
GrandValleySpeedway_38.jpg

MillerHD lost it on the outside of turn 1
GrandValleySpeedway_39.jpg

But no one could catch Goat
GrandValleySpeedway_40.jpg

Camaro RM at Laguna Seca:

Me showing how not to go through the corkscrew...
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_2.jpg

And again on the next lap :lol:
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_4.jpg

SGPracing and chatva battling for the lead
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_6.jpg

Chatva on his way to win race three
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_8.jpg

The starting grid for race four
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_9.jpg

Chatva making a charge through the field
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_14.jpg

....which included a three-wide pass going up the hill to the corkscrew
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_15.jpg

I wasn't letting Goat get away
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_17.jpg

....but he hung on by half a second at the end :)
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_19.jpg

Ferrari 458 at Indy:

Let the chaos at turn 1 commence
RoadCourse-Indy_22.jpg

The battle for second was intense
RoadCourse-Indy_24.jpg

RoadCourse-Indy_25.jpg

RoadCourse-Indy_26.jpg

RoadCourse-Indy_28.jpg

And while ANFD cruised to the win....
RoadCourse-Indy_29.jpg

...both SGPracing and chatva spun coming to the chequered flag, costing them vital points
RoadCourse-Indy_31.jpg

Race 6 was just as hectic going into turn 1
RoadCourse-Indy_32.jpg

Three wide on the banking!
RoadCourse-Indy_34.jpg

Wait, when did we start having double file restarts? ;)
RoadCourse-Indy_35.jpg

As Vol, Kuul and Goat all fought for the lead....
RoadCourse-Indy_37.jpg

The chasing pack soon made it a group of eight
RoadCourse-Indy_38.jpg

Goat made the decisive pass on Vol with a few laps to go
RoadCourse-Indy_39.jpg

And took his third win of the night
RoadCourse-Indy_41.jpg

Last edited:

You're absolutely right ... it was a very poor choice of words on my part and I really didn't mean it to sound the way it does so please accept my apology. The truth is many of you (too many to quote) make good sense, especially JLBowler's assessment. There are many variables including the "aero-push" and yes there were twice as many drivers on the track. I had fun both times. I can drive either hard or soft tires, I don't really care. It's all fun. I have an opinion as do all of us. That being said, I still feel the racing is better (from a reduced contact) point of view when the softer grippier tires are used. I do a lot of endurance racing and have learned how to preserve my tires by driving smoothly. It usually translates to success. My avatar bubble message has always stated "Go Slow to Go Fast" :)

Again, please forgive my poor word choice Division 5 guys, I really didn't mean to say that you were any less talented, after all, that's where I was racing :)

With regard to ANFD disparaging comment about the lack of driving skill in D5: Sir - Since you scored 98 points out of a possible 100 indicates that you were racing in a division far beneath your abilities. No one in D5 was able to challenge your superior skills and abilities. I suspect a High School Senior would be better able to give correct answers to 1+1, 2+1, 3+1 ...... than unequal 1st graders. I'm glad you have been promoted to a much better division ....... maybe you will completely blow them away and move on up to D1 someday. Meanwhile, those of us in D5 will continue to learn, make mistakes, be corrected, try again, and again, and again ....... and still enjoy the racing on Sunday nights. I'm very sorry that you had to endure an evening in D5 and put up with our lack of experience. Your ability may have gotten you promoted ....... but your attitude toward other drivers needs to be put on a Probation of some sort. Respectfully, though with some irritation, I submit these comments for your edification and improvement.

Hey guys,

I don't want to speak for ANFD, but I don't think he was trying to be disparaging towards drivers in D5. I think he was just trying to make a point about what he saw with respect to control of vehicle.

Deep breath all, in, hold and out ...

:cheers:

EDIT: And Ninja number 2 in 2 days, must be slowing down :lol:

That brings up a point not all may be aware of:

If you're behind another car, even if you are traveling at the same rate of speed, you may actually need to start braking before the ahead car in order to stop at the same point/come to the same speed at the same position on the track.

Easy to understand, immensely difficult to judge on-track.

Same issue in real cars :) It is experience alone that is your friend here. This is what I find the hardest part about sim racing, is that this effect is not "felt" but merely calculated. That and the spacial "feel" is weak at the edges of periphery, just ask someone I think I'm giving enough room to!

I can lap pretty quick on my own, but doing it in the pac is a struggle and something I like about this league. We seem fairly close at racing speeds, so it is hard work gaining anything.

P.S. I've added the D3 photo album to my sig. Let me know if you want me to continue as photographer :D

EDIT: started this post and answered a phone call, only to fall almost a full page behind. You guys type faster than you drive :lol:

Last edited:
You're absolutely right ... it was a very poor choice of words on my part and I really didn't mean it to sound the way it does so please accept my apology.

I did not think it was meant to offend and I do appreciate your apology. I have only raced once in this league and am really enjoying it. I had hoped to race the week before but was not able to. I would have loved to give you a go while you were in D5;) I like the overall community and as long as we all are having fun and not making this a life and death situation it should continue to be a blast.

I can't wait to see the D4 photos and video tonight! Get my good side and, Make me look good please. And what's up with 4 yellow cars? VOL is the yellow car, no one else.

Chiochan ... we have a problem ! I don't see you anywhere in any of the races I was in nor do you show up in any of the replays. I've checked the Live Timing boards and gone over the listing in the upper right corner of the screen. My screen shows 14 drivers in the first race, then 13 in the second as Kuulkrinne didn't have an RM mod made and then 13 in the last race as MillerHD disappeared at some point (at least I think it was him). In any case, hard to make you look good when I don't see you ? Am I missing something here :dunce:

Chiochan ... we have a problem ! I don't see you anywhere in any of the races I was in nor do you show up in any of the replays. I've checked the Live Timing boards and gone over the listing in the upper right corner of the screen. My screen shows 14 drivers in the first race, then 13 in the second as Kuulkrinne didn't have an RM mod made and then 13 in the last race as MillerHD disappeared at some point (at least I think it was him). In any case, hard to make you look good when I don't see you ? Am I missing something here :dunce:

His PSN ID is ChuthuluGoat, he has an alter ego ;)

Here's some pictures.
b7Nllh.jpg

The starting grid. I seem to have to shoot one of these.
fVG2Kh.jpg

An arc of cars, or a carc.
E0KPah.jpg

V8's ready to rumble.
8nPb5h.jpg

Spinning from the lead.
nQQxVh.jpg

That's the wrong way!
Exfbkh.jpg

This thing needs an LSD, only the left wheel is spinning. Needless to say, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
s5NfFh.jpg

The eight who made it to the last race.
zhCe4h.jpg

TDVSUh.jpg

Grass on your tires, watch it!
LriPGh.jpg

By this point, RaceFan78 was already spun.

I agree... i think D4 races last night were AWESOME, incredibly competitive and clean. There was some bumps, yes there was but i see this unoffensive bumps in every real race i watch on TV.

The stiff differential on that Camaro was one of the things that I liked best about it. You could spin a tire going around a nice turn without having to worry about the back actually stepping out. You just have to know that's what's going on so that you don't shift too early.

It's just cool how the old-schooliness of the thing is modeled in the game.

The stiff differential on that Camaro was one of the things that I liked best about it. You could spin a tire going around a nice turn without having to worry about the back actually stepping out. You just have to know that's what's going on so that you don't shift too early.

It's just cool how the old-schooliness of the thing is modeled in the game.

But it doesn't make cool burnouts.

Sry to post this right after you seth but anyone interested in some same car & stock PP racing i have a lobby up:

1472-6118-3916-1736-3483

Thanks for the great racing last night. It's tough and intense, the way it should be! Tempers will always flair, but I hope those that felt wronged don't leave in anger. We do this for fun, but feathers will always get ruffled in competition. Peace :gtplanet:

Some pics from D3 last night. Enjoy:)

Comments and suggestions are welcome! 👍

Nice pictures pilmat. Close race in D3... I saw it was quite rough in your division though. Sorry about that.

Cheers.

Jonsey80
Sry to post this right after you seth but anyone interested in some same car & stock PP racing i have a lobby up:

1472-6118-3916-1736-3483

Room full :(

Nice pictures pilmat. Close race in D3... I saw it was quite rough in your division though. Sorry about that.

Cheers.

It must not have been too bad.

No complaints have been reported in any division as of right now.

(Personally speaking I really saw very little if any dirty driving in D3.)

Back