◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,927 comments
I have a question for the group.

If you've seen my wheel stand, it's just a night table with the drawer taken out and wood mounted on the sides to connect the four legs. One on each side and one on the front section. The whole thing is relatively light and with no weight on top it moves around when shaking the wheel vigorously. To counter this I have five cement bricks on top, adding up to ~50 pounds. This ensures the stand will not move no matter what, and I have the confidence to do anything with the wheel. However, these bricks take up some space and I'm looking to downsize. This brings my to my question. What can I get that is really heavy but doesn't take up a lot of space? Are there plate weights that weight a lot? All I could find from a basic search were traditional circle weights that go on a bar. They're too big. What can I do?

I use a plastic-topped TV tray from Wal-mart. Pretty stable 95% of the time but it almost messed me up last weekend. You could try dive weights- You can get hard or soft and 5lbers are about the size of a very large wallet. But they're pricey - about $20 each. Maybe swingby walmart and try to get the black tv stand like I have. It's worked well for me for years and is portable/storable and really doesn't need weight.
Just in casies... http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqulw/sea-pearls-uncoated-lace-thru-style-weights
---Update: as far as semi-cheap weight goes, find some old socks, fill them with sand or preferable buckshot/BBs... there ya go...
Either that or get a fat, patient girlfriend...

IMG_8793.jpg
IMG_8794 (1).jpg
I thought some of you guys might like this. It's not a Toyota, granted, but this is just sex on wheels. Good thing it was raining, or I would have had to take a cold shower...

I use a plastic-topped TV tray from Wal-mart. Pretty stable 95% of the time but it almost messed me up last weekend. You could try dive weights- You can get hard or soft and 5lbers are about the size of a very large wallet. But they're pricey - about $20 each. Maybe swingby walmart and try to get the black tv stand like I have. It's worked well for me for years and is portable/storable and really doesn't need weight.
Just in casies... http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqulw/sea-pearls-uncoated-lace-thru-style-weights
---Update: as far as semi-cheap weight goes, find some old socks, fill them with sand or preferable buckshot/BBs... there ya go...
Either that or get a fat, patient girlfriend...

View attachment 579471 View attachment 579472 I thought some of you guys might like this. It's not a Toyota, granted, but this is just sex on wheels. Good thing it was raining, or I would have had to take a cold shower...

The melting pointof lead is pretty low. You can probably use a tin-can, pliers and a handheld torch - I used to make model airplane weights like that. The idea of going around to tire shops is great though! Maybe combined with my previous post....

Here we have the second place holder! :D

39 pounds

A:
Quick Answer.
The average weight for a car battery is 39 pounds, and more than half of the weight is lead. The weight of car battery is crucial when looking for higher performance, as more battery weight leads to increased vehicle weight, which leads to reduced strength or speed.

@DesertPenguin09 Im not sure but it sounds like you should be adding strength, not weight. Pull the desk out from the wall and add some bracing to the back of the desk. A couple of pieces of wood screwed to the back from corner to corner like in a Z or triangle pattern ( one of the strongest construction shapes known) should eliminate any wobble. If the desk moves on the floor add some carpet our rubber matting if not already there.

That's all I got...good luck on your quest for racing fullfilment my young troubled penguin friend.

I just practiced for an hour and got one 1:59.9 all the rest were above 2min. Even a 2 flat is quite difficult, for me anyway:banghead:

...Now that bmw combo is a lot of fun , great match of track and car.:cheers:
I ran a few warm up laps then ran the club TT. Knocked a 58 out in warm up and a 59 during the TT. There's no way I averaged 2:00.xx or less. The car might be capable of it but, it's violently unstable at various places on track and doesn't love you when you make a mistake and try to drive where it don't want to go. It'll be interesting to see just how many drivers actually finish in 12 minutes or less. I'd bet that 5 $hells @TomMang_68 hasn't passed me yet that the number will be less than 12.

I ran a few warm up laps then ran the club TT. Knocked a 58 out in warm up and a 59 during the TT. There's no way I averaged 2:00.xx or less. The car might be capable of it but, it's violently unstable at various places on track and doesn't love you when you make a mistake and try to drive where it don't want to go. It'll be interesting to see just how many drivers actually finish in 12 minutes or less. I'd bet that 5 $hells @TomMang_68 hasn't passed me yet that the number will be less than 12.
Heh , i was just thinking about that. i'll have to figure out how to do the transfer today. i got em.

edit : found it we're even

Last edited:
Crap. I was just gonna tell whomever won the bet to talk to you. :P

Found this over in the WRS threads.

Found an old GT5 vid that I had to share and this thread seems like the best place... Anyone for the long jump? :D

Now where can we do this in GT6? haha :P skip to 2 mins to see the 10 car battle ;)

Last edited:
@DesertPenguin09 Im not sure but it sounds like you should be adding strength, not weight. Pull the desk out from the wall and add some bracing to the back of the desk. A couple of pieces of wood screwed to the back from corner to corner like in a Z or triangle pattern ( one of the strongest construction shapes known) should eliminate any wobble. If the desk moves on the floor add some carpet our rubber matting if not already there.

That's all I got...good luck on your quest for racing fullfilment my young troubled penguin friend.
Thanks. Yea I have some bracing beams already. I was wondering should I just cover the sides in braces? You're definitely right about trying to put the weight closer to the bottom than right on top. That's what I'm trying to figure out now. How to attach heavy things to the legs. Hmm... Project for the next few days.

Update: It seems the most sway is left/right, not front/back or twisting. What's the best way to negate that?

Last edited:
Thanks. Yea I have some bracing beams already. I was wondering should I just cover the sides in braces? You're definitely right about trying to put the weight closer to the bottom than right on top. That's what I'm trying to figure out now. How to attach heavy things to the legs. Hmm... Project for the next few days.

Update: It seems the most sway is left/right, not front/back or twisting. What's the best way to negate that?
an X across the back

Along with the 'X' a couple gussets from legs to table top would help in stiffening it up. Looks like you're getting the SNAIL crash course in how to build a frame :sly:If you're still stumped I would suggest looking at some formula cars w/o the bodywork and take note of how they used gussets/triangles/X's to stiffen up their frames... Of course you can't bend wood like steel without a steamer, but the basic frames from the 60's 70's and 80's were pretty straight forward

Had no idea what gussets were so I looked it up and you basically mean reinforced L Brackets, right? I found four brackets laying around so should they go on the inside of the leg or the outside? Does it matter?

Done. For now. It's not pretty but so what. Oh yea, I'm a stickler for neatness and I hate it lol. Instead of all these bricks I'd love a single heavy weight but whatevs.

Done. For now. It's not pretty but so what. Oh yea, I'm a stickler for neatness and I hate it lol. Instead of all these bricks I'd love a single heavy weight but whatevs.
So go buy a sheet of plate steel at your local steel mart. A nice sheet 3/4" plate should do nicely, and if you go for stainless steel it'll be pretty too!

I knew you'd say that but I mean what's involved with contacting them? Is it usually a place you can walk around freely? How do you go about it?

You say they, you're talking about that Steel Mart again or these types of places are typically all over? Just gotta find it?

Ugh... I care about making things look good but not if it's gonna cost money. This is a casual hobby for me and I don't want to invest too much into it. I already bought a G29+Shifter and a PS4 this year. I'm not spending any money on my rig until I can afford a dedicated rig like Ricmotech or something.

You say they, you're talking about that Steel Mart again or these types of places are typically all over? Just gotta find it?

Ugh... I care about making things look good but not if it's gonna cost money. This is a casual hobby for me and I don't want to invest too much into it. I already bought a G29+Shifter and a PS4 this year. I'm not spending any money on my rig until I can afford a dedicated rig like Ricmotech or something.
you want a rig save up for a grandstand I can't recommend it enough and it's a lot cheaper!

Also everything cost money. Soon they're going to start charging you just for walking down the street #adulting

FWIW - cheap, easy. 95% problem-free. I'm like you DP, I don't wanna spend a lotta lot on a rig and I want it portable. This folds up nicely and you can position the pedals under it where you like. It's not 'wobbly', but as I said occasionally if the wheel has a lot of torque due to countersteering or whatever it will move.
I suppose if I was motivated I could cut up some large empty butter or sour cream containers to fit around the legs and fill them with cement, but I'm not that motivated.
If you live in a yuppievile there should be a Home Depot or Lowe's that is required by law in every yuppieville. But I'd say just look for one of these at Walmart or a thrift store...

IMG_8804.jpg

Back