◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,845 comments
Tonight is the SNAIL Super Formula Series! We will be running a test night for a new format that includes 2 shorter races with the 2nd race being a reverse starting Grid like Sunday nights. Faster drivers from race 1 get slower tires and drivers who finished in the back get SuperSofts. The tracks this evening are Barcelona & Nurburgring GP/F. Head over to the thread if you’re interested. It’s gonna be a fun night!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/snail-super-formula-series.386803/

Representing a new sponsorship for this season

upload_2019-6-12_11-13-53.png

Curious to see opinions of anyone who saw or watched the track re-entry incident between Vettel and Hamilton this past weekend. Did Vettel block upon re-entering the track, or was he still trying to regain control as the car came back on the track doing his best not to lose control into the wall? I'm a Hamilton fan, but my take was the latter. Yes, it was an unsafe re-entry, but Vettel was clearly still trying to settle the car down. Great job on his part for gathering it up, and to Hamilton for evading a possible collision. Great race by both drivers, but ashame to see the race end that way.

Curious to see opinions of anyone who saw or watched the track re-entry incident between Vettel and Hamilton this past weekend. Did Vettel block upon re-entering the track, or was he still trying to regain control as the car came back on the track doing his best not to lose control into the wall? I'm a Hamilton fan, but my take was the latter. Yes, it was an unsafe re-entry, but Vettel was clearly still trying to settle the car down. Great job on his part for gathering it up, and to Hamilton for evading a possible collision. Great race by both drivers, but ashame to see the race end that way.
Vettel did not let up, if he had tried to stay to the left he would have spun. Canada does not have the room in those corners to do a "safe re-entry". Even if he let off I think momentum would still have carried him over to the right, and the result would have been worse IMHO.

For the record I am a Hamilton fan and I think the stewards got that wrong.

I agree that there is not enough information to determine what inputs were used by Vettel to save the car, but as an F1 driver he probably relied on his instinct to save the car. I think saving the car was primary and staying ahead secondary. He needed all the road to save the car AND Lewis had an inside line and chose to go outside.

I think race control should have made SV conceded the position within the next lap then have them race it out to the end.It would have made for a better race between the best drivers till the very end , which is rare in F1 these days.

I’ve watched the replay several times and also saw reactions from both garages. Neither driver was comfortable with the outcome, but F1 must be loving all the extra attention it’s getting : )

PS - I root for anyone outside the big 3

I’m a Ferrari fan so I may be biased, but my take is that the stewards made the wrong call. Once Vettel made a mistake and went into the grass, he had zero control of the car. Once he came back on track you can still see him struggling with the wheel when looking at the on-board camera, and then he regained control and went on his way. It seemed to me that he would have had the same movements even if Hamilton wasn’t there.

I’m not really sure what the stewards expected Vettel to do really. If he slams on the brakes, he easily spins out. If he turns away from the track, he spins out. If he turned onto the track, that would’ve most definitely been an unsafe re-entry and most likely a crash. Out of all the options he had, the only logical one was the ride it out through the grass and try to get control of the car. I guess one could say Vettel is in the wrong for making a mistake and going off in the first place, but then that would mean everyone would have to be looked at and scrutinized whenever they go off track to make sure they didn’t make an unsafe re-entry.

These were my comments in a conversation about the incident involving Vettel and the penalty.

I don't usually watch F1 as I'm not a fan of motorsports that is so much more about the car than the driver or strategy but I took a look at this live (repeat broadcast of the race) and some replays I could find on line.

I will preface this by saying I have no idea about the rules of F1 or the history of previous incidents like this one and how the F1 stewards have ruled.

Looking at it from a SNAIL point of view, I think it comes down to one or two questions.
1. Did Vettel need all the room he took to regain control of his car after running through the grass?
  • If the answer to that question is no and the stewards deemed that he could have continued on without using the entire corner exit then it's an unsafe reentry.
  • If the answer is yes, he needed all that space to regain control then we need to ask a second question.
2. Did Vettel do anything while off the track to reduce speed or change his reentry angle?
  • If the answer is no, he just powered through in an effort to lose as little time as possible as opposed to making a safe reentry, then it's an unsafe reentry.
  • If the answer is yes and he still needed all that room and took all necessary precautions to stay out of the racing line on reentry, then we have no penalty and a racing accident, or near accident in this case.

This is why it's nice in SNAIL to have access to most of the inputs that a driver gives the car. It gives more information to use in determining what happened and why it happened.

This weeks combo replacement will be:
Autodrome Lago Maggiore-East ll 20:00 clear
Gr.X Toyota SF19 Super Formula
Tires front and rear Racing Medium
Power 100% Weight 100%
Early lap time 1:06.900

I am having a Very important Test tonight on the future of Super Formula Series. I’m doing 4 15 minute ish races for a new format and I was going to do Barcelona and. Nurburgring. In an effort to get as many bodies as I can for tonight’s race I will make ALL 4 races @ Autodrome Lago Maggiore - East II. Two races will be mediums and a sprint EXACTLY like SNAIL so please come out just for the practice at least. I need as many people, D1 to D4 in speed to come out so at 8:30 pm EST if you aren’t doing anything come ride with us!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/snail-super-formula-series.386803/

Back