◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,792 comments
now

Well if that is 1600 out of 100,000 then be happy to be in the top 2%

Anyone know how many have run from the US? I would guess a lot less 50k but no real idea. I finally spent my first 15 minutes on round 4. Sighting lap earned silver. Third complete lap and am .02 off gold. Should be in the low 19's with 20-30 minutes more practice. My hat goes off to anyone under 2:17:cheers:
Happy...happy you say. ....I'M FRIGGING ECSTATIC....
And I'm , as the kids would say...LIKE TOTALLY happy for all who get to the prize...and even for those of us who usually don't even come close most of the time..but just keep at it. It's watching someone try lap after lap to get better. ...Sticking with it...and then...finally getting there. Keep going guys. I'm the poster child for the impossible dream. Now where are those tickets for Silverstone....:rolleyes:

Pardon my stupidity .......... What is an Aspec race? I presume it is a one-make practice race against the cars that the game puts on the track ..... and that we can usually outrun quite easily. Off-line rather than on-line.
Sorry if I, the Ancient One, am so slow on the uptake.

A-Spec was what the offline mode you had to drive yourself was called in GT5 and previous versions of the game. Since there is no "B-spec" mode, where you "coach" or "manage" an AI driver(s) to race, there isn't really an A-spec mode in GT6. Either offline or online. In any event, I was referring to the offline "career" races to practice your view swapping with. Unlike JLBowler and qwietstorm, I cannot control my car in 3rd person view. Spend to much time looking at the car and not enough on the road ahead. Roof or Hood cam for me.

Would it be permissible to try 10-min Endurance races tonight instead of prescribed lap counts?
If this has been discussed already, I missed it.

Happy...happy you say. ....I'M FRIGGING ECSTATIC....
And I'm , as the kids would say...LIKE TOTALLY happy for all who get to the prize...and even for those of us who usually don't even come close most of the time..but just keep at it. It's watching someone try lap after lap to get better. ...Sticking with it...and then...finally getting there. Keep going guys. I'm the poster child for the impossible dream. Now where are those tickets for Silverstone....:rolleyes:

Last count was around 8,800-9,000 American entries. Of course, some of those are duplicate accounts. Much less than previous years, unfortunately.

@scca_ziptie, what class do you run? I know a few folks that run in the Formula Vee, PRO3, and Spec Miata classes...

Unfortunately I do own a race car. I have done ChumpCar events though, fun and can lean a lot but man are there some terrible drivers out there....

I crew for my buddy Mark Schue who has a Swift DB5 S2 (Sports 2000), crewed for the shop I used to work for (Adrenaline Racing) with our E46 M3 full prep race car which is now almost done with the S65 V8 (E39 M5 motor) swap, and crew for my friend Jason Brassfield who runs a Spec Miata.

I will be working turns this weekend as a turn marshal, to which I have been doing since I turned 16 back in 1999. You can really pick up some good tips/input by observing cars lapping the circuit from those perspectives, it's the second best seat in the house - but NOTHING beats the best seat in the house (behind the wheel)!!!!!!

Last edited:
Last count was around 8,800-9,000 American entries. Of course, some of those are duplicate accounts. Much less than previous years, unfortunately.

Unfortunately I do own a race car. I have done ChumpCar events though, fun and can lean a lot but man are there some terrible drivers out there....

I crew for my buddy Mark Schue who has a Swift DB5 S2 (Sports 2000), crewed for the shop I used to work for (Adrenaline Racing) with our E46 M3 full prep race car which is now almost done with the S65 V8 (E39 M5 motor) swap, and crew for my friend Jason Brassfield who runs a Spec Miata.

I will be working turns this weekend as a turn marshal, to which I have been doing since I turned 16 back in 1999. You can really pick up some good tips/input by observing cars lapping the circuit from those perspectives, it's the second best seat in the house - but NOTHING beats the best seat in the house (behind the wheel)!!!!!!

I'll be doing a ChumpCar at Watkins Glen the first weekend in November. Can't wait. My oldest brother and dad both raced the Swift at the Glen, Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, etc. It was a really cool car. This was 20 years ago, but fun to watch nonetheless.

Would it be permissible to try 10-min Endurance races tonight instead of prescribed lap counts?
This is what we switched to in the DTC (except we do 20 min races) and it works fantastic. No need for all the lap counts, time calculations etc. Just set it to 10 mins and you're done.

The Sunday rules are pretty dang hard to get changed due to the red tape parade but this is a smart play IMO.

I remember going down to Portland for the very first chumpcar race back in '09... I think it was also the very first 24 hour race held there too! Unfortunately our little civic cooked a head gasket after 17 hours... Great facility, and even better people! I'd love to come down to the states again soon. (Hopefully I'll be old enough to get behind the wheel of a vee by then)

Started out with Course Marshals back in 2011 for SFR, then moved to pit fire so I could go to Long Beach GP, did 2 events as Announce this year.

You guys gonna do the 25 hours of Thunderhill this year?

Gotten down a .7 in the first sector at Spa!! But I still can't get a full lap together wtf....

This is what we switched to in the DTC (except we do 20 min races) and it works fantastic. No need for all the lap counts, time calculations etc. Just set it to 10 mins and you're done.

The Sunday rules are pretty dang hard to get changed due to the red tape parade but this is a smart play IMO.

I see no issue with testing it. I do see a couple of potential issues though. First is that you can't set race finish delay. How does it work in a timed race. Second would be a combo with a 3:10 lap time or thereabouts. We would finish three laps at 9:40 or so and end up running a race that is almost 13 minutes. That is the extreme example but it would probably add time to the night. If every division could get going on time and not waste time between races for whatever reason, it wouldn't be an issue, but we already struggle to get the races done inside of 2 hours.

I am passing the freeze to @JLBowler
I choose to freeze the Ferrari. I know there are quite a few other guys that will be happy to not see Silverstone again.
I'm gonna pick an 80's car and an 80's track!
Stand by to Stand by!

The car is a Ferrari GTO '84 F430 '06
The track is Autodromo Nazionale
Monza '80's

Quite sure the Dr. Would have approved!
I choose Cape Ring Periphery as the new track to replace Silverstone.
Sorry for the delay. The June 15th lineup has been posted.

Started out with Course Marshals back in 2011 for SFR, then moved to pit fire so I could go to Long Beach GP, did 2 events as Announce this year.

You guys gonna do the 25 hours of Thunderhill this year?

Gotten down a .7 in the first sector at Spa!! But I still can't get a full lap together wtf....
My old boss from Adrenaline Racing / AR Auto Service races with the Stammer Racing team (e46 M3) - I'm sure he'll be down there again. Not sure that I will be there - hope I am busing doing the GT Academy associated stuff :) (I know, I know - very hopeful but that's me!)

THE PRACTICE ROOMS ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN !
If you are assigned to D1, D2, D3, or D4 please join, with your best racecraft, the BLUE ROOM:
1472 6681-3286-8592-5707

If you are assigned to D5, D6, D7, or D8 please join, with your best racecraft, the RED ROOM:
1472-6399-8537-0922-6621

Additionally, if you want to focus in your Race craft instead of speed, the Yellow Room will be following the same format with the addition of Competition Yellows at least once during the race depending on the number of laps. Room is focused to run in a pack and improve Race Craft.The YELLOW ROOM:
1472-6118-4216-8217-3484

Sunday June 15th lineup is
Ford Mustang Cobra SVT @ Daytona RC
Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 @ Cape Ring Periphery
Ferrari F430 '06 @ 80's Autodromo Nazionale Monza

Sunday June 8th UnOfficial Results

Photo by @Wolfsatz

Photo by @KTR5
cape-ring-periphery_2-jpg.169570

Photo by @KTR5
autodromo-nazionale-monza-80s_1-jpg.169565

Isn't this a SNAIL requirement? I read that in some text either in the OLR or instructions sent to me in one of the instructional PMs.

Also, is it just me or do the side indicators only flash when a car is really close to you? I was on the opposite side of the track but even with another car and no indicator flashed.

Its hard for me to use them when I drive in the view where I see the entire car.

Hmmm. Very surprised that the outside view is so common. Seems so... non-sim? Steering wheel/pedals in the living room with a GoPro view? Not hating, just kinda shocked.

My reasoning is, if I have to drive looking through the confines of an artificial monitor, then I want the widest view I can get.

Real world driving provides a large field of view. I just can't drive looking through a tiny tunnel.

But it's just how I feel. Personally I just can't get comfortable with such a confined view.

Driving a real car with real peripheral vision using real mirrors is just, well, real. Driving using a TV is not...GT is probably like driving a tank through that little viewfinder. I just can't do it :) So I use the widest view the game can provide.

Last edited:
Just sharing... I drive with spatial awareness, keep track of cars around me like radar IRL and in game.

I look at each car see how fast they are moving in relation to myself and judge if they are faster or slower, predict where each car will be at a certain time later...

I see no issue with testing it. I do see a couple of potential issues though. First is that you can't set race finish delay. How does it work in a timed race. Second would be a combo with a 3:10 lap time or thereabouts. We would finish three laps at 9:40 or so and end up running a race that is almost 13 minutes. That is the extreme example but it would probably add time to the night. If every division could get going on time and not waste time between races for whatever reason, it wouldn't be an issue, but we already struggle to get the races done inside of 2 hours.

I can report that the YELLOW room was in agreement that the timer is not a good fit for our Sunday night races. We stuck it out (only because @TEX36 couldn't change it once the room was created), but it wasn't what we had hoped for. I still think it was good to give it a try to see if it worked.

The experiment in using the Endurance mode was very very negative. The entire evening was NOT what we desire in our practice sessions.
So I definitely do not recommend its use at any time.

I can report that the YELLOW room was in agreement that the timer is not a good fit for our Sunday night races. We stuck it out (only because @TEX36 couldn't change it once the room was created), but it wasn't what we had hoped for. I still think it was good to give it a try to see if it worked.

Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons?

The experiment in using the Endurance mode was very very negative. The entire evening was NOT what we desire in our practice sessions.
So I definitely do not recommend its use at any time.

Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons?

I'm curious what the specific issues were as well. If you don't want to post it here and start a debate on the topic, feel free to start a conversation with me.

On the subject of using the out of car view. For me it goes all the way back to GT1 and earlier racing games. They didn't have the best physics in the world and I didn't have a wheel with feedback. I used the chase cam so I could see what the back of the car was doing because you sure couldn't "feel" it in those early games. It turned into a habit and I don't see a really good reason to change. Most of the time I don't even see my car as I am looking out in front of it or on the sides of it if I'm in traffic. I can drive in cockpit view and be just as fast but it is so limited, I can be a cleaner racer by using the chase cam.

I think the timer race work decent for the first try. Figureing out the clock and such would be better next time. For some , having a more consistent way of working the "caution" would have helped. All in all good job tex

The PP for the Ferrari F430 '06 is 548 and the HP is 519 after oil change.
The PP for the Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 is 503 and the HP is 363.
The PP for the Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R '00 is 483 and HP is 384.

Paddle shift gearboxes are fine and dandy, but...

19b2hfcovt4impng.png

I own a Ferrari wheel dammit, let me drive it with a manual!

Pardon my stupidity .......... What is an Aspec race? I presume it is a one-make practice race against the cars that the game puts on the track ..... and that we can usually outrun quite easily. Off-line rather than on-line.
Sorry if I, the Ancient One, am so slow on the uptake.
Might the strange appearance of Aspec on the highliners of the Seasonal Races herald the return of the long awaited b-Spec that added an entire aspect of GT5 "single" play. Perhaps we will be able to run Endurance Races by ourselves at long last...w/o driving the whole damn thing by our selves ! This will make absolutely no sense to those who are new to GT...we'll explain if it happens. Guess not...i'm just hopeful that PD WHO PROMISED BSPEC WHO BE IMPROVED IN GT6 will be true to his/their word.

Feeling a bit more relaxed after breaking through the bottleneck and getting a 2:15.381, messed up the exit out of Stavelot probably lost close to a tenth considering I'm losing time all the way up to Blanchimont but hey, I'll deal with that in the coming 72 hours. TIME FOR A BEEEEER ~ :cheers:

Back