◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,795 comments
Assuming the room settings are the same, it sounds like you could be putting too much pressure on yourself or overthinking things during race nights. People are different, I'm usually (but not always) slower in practice and faster when the competition is more intense. For most, their real speed comes when very relaxed. I happen to be more relaxed with more cars around me and everyone pushing rather than pounding away laps solo.

Most likely you just need more seat time (to be calm in traffic) and not to overthink your driving. If you're faster on race night on combos new to you, that tells me your an instinctual type of driver (which can be a very good thing). Don't stop practicing, but when it comes to race night, treat it sort of like a practice. Relax, have fun, and just drive to your abilities. Don't focus on the pace of others, just focus on driving as fast and clean as you can and trust your instincts.

Just go with the flow also, just relax and drive thats what I have always done I do all my plannig in practice then when race time comes I just hit my marks. @Michelin

That's interesting, I actually find that I'm pulling slower times in practice and qualifying than I do in the actual race. Most likely because I am being pushed or following a faster driver during a race and it forces me to adapt(not to mention the draft). I can definitely see how SNAIL will make you a better, faster racer.
Don't forget the effect of drafting. If you are practicing on your own or without a car to follow your times will be slower than when hooked up to a fast driver that you are getting a draft off of. Also in real life having someone draft you will make the front car faster as well. I assume that will be true in game.

In the late 80's a mag did a test. I think the cars were a vette and Porsche 928. One was 7 mph faster than the other. With the slow car drafting the fast car picked up 4mph while the slow one picked up 11mph.

This may of course be obvious to you so feel free to ignore.

Just want to add my 2 cents.... being Canadian I might have to double that to 4 cents so it can be at least 2 US cents ...

I love being in the practice room with the D1 guys. I put on the binoculars and watch them for a few laps. Then I go out on the track and try to do the same.... at a few seconds per lap slower I migh say... but still it's a great learning opportunity....then put the binoculars back and repeat. You learn from their lines, when they shift gears, where they break etc.
Absolutely... I've been doing that for a while

Just looking through Twitter and found this...
image.jpg

Just looking through Twitter and found this...View attachment 186344

Ironically, this is one of the few accidents that was not Maldonado's fault. He's the most crash-tastic of the pay drivers, but he did win a race, for another team, but a win is a win. Gutierrez is questionable after his most recent performances.

Both of the paid drivers were bitching about each others actions while all of that was going on, but forgot all about it afterwards.

Maldonado on the other hand...

He did win back in 2012 for Williams, but he was out in front and couldn't hit anybody.

I got worried when Maldonado went to Lotus. He and Grosjean are accidents waiting to happen. To his credit, Romain has improved greatly when it comes to not hitting his fellow drivers.

yep this is what happens with me. totally didnt practice the f430 ss5 combo and i won both races, ive always sucked at qualifying.

Great to see I'm not alone on this situation ahahah

That's interesting, I actually find that I'm pulling slower times in practice and qualifying than I do in the actual race. Most likely because I am being pushed or following a faster driver during a race and it forces me to adapt(not to mention the draft). I can definitely see how SNAIL will make you a better, faster racer.

Problem is if I could at least turn fast lap times in qualifying on Sunday, I wouldn't feel that bad. But I'm usually fast during the official/unofficial practice rooms hosted during the week...

Assuming the room settings are the same, it sounds like you could be putting too much pressure on yourself or overthinking things during race nights. People are different, I'm usually (but not always) slower in practice and faster when the competition is more intense. For most, their real speed comes when very relaxed. I happen to be more relaxed with more cars around me and everyone pushing rather than pounding away laps solo.

Most likely you just need more seat time (to be calm in traffic) and not to overthink your driving. If you're faster on race night on combos new to you, that tells me your an instinctual type of driver (which can be a very good thing). Don't stop practicing, but when it comes to race night, treat it sort of like a practice. Relax, have fun, and just drive to your abilities. Don't focus on the pace of others, just focus on driving as fast and clean as you can and trust your instincts.

Yeah, now that I've readed what you said fizzer, I remembered the times I played football/soccer for my old school. I would play really well in the practice during the week, scoring goals (I play as a striker, sort like Van Persie) but when we had a match with other schools (championship or friendly) I wouldn't play as good... I remember feeling anxious and nervous during a game and my coach would always say to treat the game as practice... Guess it's happening the same on GT6. '-'

Just go with the flow also, just relax and drive thats what I have always done I do all my plannig in practice then when race time comes I just hit my marks. @Michelin

I usually try to do that, but I get nervous because I don't want to hit someone and cause an accident..

There are so many variables involved with online racing.

Possibilities include, but are not limited to;
Change in network latency and/or room population.
Simulated Car detioration rates. I have no corroborating evidence to support this one.
Driver is "on his game" during once session but not another.

I am almost always faster when practicing in my own rooms than I am when racing in other's rooms. It's the nature of the online beast.

Hmmmm I see what you mean.. Those online variable sure affect the lap times...

To those folks who think they are in the wrong division, more specifically those folks in D1, but all in general.

You have earned, not been given, earned, by virtue of your time trial or previous performance, the shining, golden opportunity to share the track with some of the fastest players GT6 has to offer. To my knowledge, 16 GT Academy NA Regional finalists, race, or have raced in SNAIL's Division 1. Several of that 16 went to Silverstone last year and one of them won the Grand Prize. Hopefully soon, we will find out several more are on their way to England this year.

That Shining, Golden opportunity you enjoy by being promoted, even if you aren't as competitive as you're used to being, is to learn how those faster drivers do it. Race with them, even if from the back, watch the replays and see how they do it. Even if your goal isn't to become one of them, it will make you a better driver. But, only if you relax and stop trying to beat them. Instead, drive to the best of your ability, absorb how you can do it better and let the rubber fall off the tires as it will. The process of Promotion and Relegation doesn't happen overnight or in one night. If you let it, it will place you where you will be in the thick of the racing, regardless of which division you end up in. Give it your honest best however, otherwise P&R will just keep bouncing you and you'll never settle somewhere.

From what I saw of the scoring sheet last night, at least 3 divisions had 5 drivers within reach of their division's overall night win, going into the last race. This is pretty convincing evidence that the job @JLBowler has done in a complete divisional re-alignment of SNAIL was well done. Admitedly, they are the divisions in the middle. That's just a fact of life. The center holds, the edges fray.

Every month division placements are juggled and sometimes it's as important to fill up a grid as it is for finish positions and timing values to be considered.

3-4 seconds off pace is anything but "close, competitive racing"

Need I say more?

And your solution?

Drop them into a division where they pound the field and crush the others?

Looking forward to your thoughtful, reasoned solution.

So, what you're telling me is that the skill difference between D1 and D2 is so vast that there's no way those who can't keep up in D1 won't destroy those in D2? :lol:

You must've put much thought into that though so who am I to say otherwise...

So, what you're telling me is that the skill difference between D1 and D2 is so vast that there's no way those who can't keep up in D1 won't destroy those in D2? :lol:

You must've put much thought into that though so who am I to say otherwise...

I'm a D2 driver so I believe I can answer that to you. It's not that skill level is that big, but it's the consistency. Pace and mistake. D1 drivers can consistently lap quicker and consistently make less mistakes. For me, that's the difference.

I am capable of keeping D1 drivers behind me if I make my car wide enough. :sly:

I did once at my first ROC i gunned it at the start when we used the GTR500 at Indy for ROC flew past D7and D8 took the lead for about 3 laps til Neovre caught up with me battled about 4 seconds and that was it I was pretty happy

I'm just going to say what I feel the difference between D1 and D2. The overall pace by average lap times is not that big of a difference on some tracks. Maybe between 4-6tenths, maybe more, maybe less. But let's say we're at GVS With the GTR. And myself and others are hitting 1:45.xxx and some people from D2 are hitting 1:46xxx, it's just that D1 his constantly, with extreme consistency hitting 1:45xxx every lap, maybe 1-2 tenths off everytime. Racing with people from GT Academy and 2 of us in the Top 20 WorldWide and maybe the intimidation factor might be there. With D1 hitting sometimes Personal Bests every lap, the gap just expands more and more over the course of the race. IMO the average laps with certain D1 and D2 drivers isn't too far apart, it's just the consistency and hitting those laps... Every lap. :) that's just me so yeah :)

3-4 seconds off pace is anything but "close, competitive racing"

Need I say more?

This is just in gerneral - to anyone that feels they get bumped up to high. Worst-case scenario is you spend 4 weeks in the mid to back of the field and then you get dropped a division for the next month.

Am I wrong in saying big freaking deal? No division placements are permanent, might take a few iterations, but eventually people end up in the division thats right for them and racing with at least 3 other drivers that are around their same pace. As long as you have someone to race, it doesn't matter if you're battling for 1st-4th or 6th-10th, eventually everyone gets close competitive racing - unless you're @LLOYDZELITE69 and make a habit of blowing D1 outta the water ;)

Best case scenario is you learn some things and end up going doorhandle to doorhandle with the pointy-end of your division.

I personally have never whined about being slower in D1, I just realize that in order to go faster I'll need to practice more. With that being said, what days are you usually online practicing? I would definitely like to join you for a few minutes whenever you're on just to get some hints and tips. You've always been very quick, clean and very humble about your ability and I respect that a lot. If you're willing to teach, I'm willing to learn. 👍

You shaddap! I wasn't talking about you. I missed dicing with you on track get back in D1 NOW! Lol

I just landed in California from New York. I don't think I will be getting on GT6 as much as I would want to from now till end of August. Will be pretty busy. Scheduling Summer vacations. ;)

Last edited:
I'm just going to say what I feel the difference between D1 and D2. The overall pace by average lap times is not that big of a difference on some tracks. Maybe between 4-6tenths, maybe more, maybe less. But let's say we're at GVS With the GTR. And myself and others are hitting 1:45.xxx and some people from D2 are hitting 1:46xxx, it's just that D1 his constantly, with extreme consistency hitting 1:45xxx every lap, maybe 1-2 tenths off everytime. Racing with people from GT Academy and 2 of us in the Top 20 WorldWide and maybe the intimidation factor might be there. With D1 hitting sometimes Personal Bests every lap, the gap just expands more and more over the course of the race. IMO the average laps with certain D1 and D2 drivers isn't too far apart, it's just the consistency and hitting those laps... Every lap. :) that's just me so yeah :)

Agreed, typically (if I had a bit of practice) all of my lap times would be within 1-2 tenths, and (depending on tire wear), slowly faster through-out the race. Problem I have is I still have 1-2 mistakes a race which is all of the difference.

The super crazy D1 guys, just keep pounding out fast lap after fast lap every single lap. ZERO mistakes.

May I challenge you to racing real cars? Lol jkjk no offense.

Agreed, typically (if I had a bit of practice) all of my lap times would be within 1-2 tenths, and (depending on tire wear), slowly faster through-out the race. Problem I have is I still have 1-2 mistakes a race which is all of the difference.

The super crazy D1 guys, just keep pounding out fast lap after fast lap every single lap. ZERO mistakes.

They do make mistakes, just not that often, your job is to make sure you are close enough to capitalize on it like I did at the Nationals with the GTR GT3, IF ANY OF YOU WATCHED MY AWESOME FEINT MOVE. :dopey:

Way back in the olden days when I was in D1, I knew most of the time that I didn't have a chance to win races and run up front. I didn't really care how far behind the leader I was. I would always look at how close I was to the guy in front of me and how close the guy behind was behind me. This is how you measure good close racing. It's not about being in contention for a win every race. It's about having other drivers that are of a similar pace to you to race with.

I'll leave it by quoting Spock. (not a star trek fan but it works here) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." To equate that to the most recent round of promotion and relegation. The three drivers at the top of D2 that were moved up all had right at or more than twice the number of podiums for the month as the guy with the 4th most podiums. Those three drivers had separated themselves from the rest of D2 to the point that everyone else was not as successful as they were. Now they have been moved to D1 and they are in the same spot that the rest of D2 was in last month. It may be to a larger degree because the divisions break up like a bell curve with larger time gaps at each end but it's the same spot.

It doesn't make sense to let three guys walk over the other 10 guys in a division just so they can have a chance to win. If it's really about the racing, those that moved up to D1 have other drivers to race with, they just can't run up front right now. If it's strictly about winning races then I suggest that you start practicing a lot so you can start winning in D1 because it doesn't matter what division you are in, if you win enough, you're going to end up in D1.

I'm a D2 driver so I believe I can answer that to you. It's not that skill level is that big, but it's the consistency. Pace and mistake. D1 drivers can consistently lap quicker and consistently make less mistakes. For me, that's the difference.

Ok, although that may be your experience it can't be that of everyone else's. Maybe a few good moments someone has shouldn't dictate a quick promotion? Either way, people are complaining from both sides yet the only reasonable solution (division reassignment) is apparently off the table because of standards already set within the lower divisions.

Maybe D1 should be reserved for those who can clearly keep up rather than for those who just out pace lower divisions? Maybe D2's consistency should be all around better rather than the few who stand out leaving once they show what they can do? Higher standards for promotion (at least from D2 to D1) should be taken into consideration, regardless.

@LLOYDZELITE69 I doubt intimidation plays any tangible factor in this.

May I challenge you to racing real cars? Lol jkjk no offense.

They do make mistakes, just not that often, your job is to make sure you are close enough to capitalize on it like I did at the Nationals with the GTR GT3, IF ANY OF YOU WATCHED MY AWESOME FEINT MOVE. :dopey:

Yeah sure no problem :) just give me a 10sec head start ;)

Back