◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
Sunday, October 20, 2019 Lineup

October 2019 Season - League Night #3

1. CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 1LE PACKAGE 2018 on RH Tires @ Dragon Trail - Gardens - 10:00 Fine Weather - (7 Laps)
2. TOYOTA TS050 HYBRID TOYOTA GAZOO RACING 2016 on RM Tires @ Tokyo Expressway - East Inner Loop - 07:40 Clear - (6 Laps)
3. NISSAN R92CP 1992 on RM Tires @ Blue Moon Bay Speedway - Infield B - 10:30 Clear - (18 Laps)

More details here

Agreed, so much wasted potential! There are even boxes built into the interface for future additions. When the game first launched I didn't play online and played casually when I did play. I had no real reason to pick up all of the alernate colors since I was just playing single-player. So there are a few weeks that I have found I missed some colors.

Important Announcements

SNAIL will be making a small change to the tire regulations. Beginning with the November season, all Gr. 4 cars will be equipped with RH tires for Sunday night racing.

SNAIL will also be testing new qualifying procedures beginning with tonight's practice session. @Rednose has already posted these changes for the hosts in their conversation. The below is the schedule for tonight's practice session. We would appreciate feedback on how each one works and any issues that occurred with any of the procedures.

Procedures:
1. Set the first race of the combo to Practice/Qualify/Race (Second race will still be reverse grid)
2. Set Qually to 5 minutes

Round 1: CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 1LE PACKAGE 2018 on RH Tires @ Dragon Trail - Gardens - 10:00 Fine Weather - (7 Laps)
1. Start qually
2. Everybody leaves pits at the same time and line up just after turn 1
3. Host give "green light" and qually starts with 5 sec intervals
4. Complete out lap and 1 hot lap and stop
5. Let qually timer runs out. (Please make a note of how long it takes to count down to zero)
6. Race will start automatically and all qually lap times will be visible to all

Round 2: TOYOTA TS050 HYBRID TOYOTA GAZOO RACING 2016 on RM Tires @ Tokyo Expressway - East Inner Loop - 07:40 Clear - (6 Laps)
1. Start qually
2. Everyone goes out on their own time and run as much laps as possible until the the clock runs out.
3. Race will start automatically and all qually lap times will be visible to all
4. Please ask feedback from the lobby if there was any interference, drafting or anything else noteworthy that might be undesirable or desirable.

Round 3: NISSAN R92CP 1992 on RM Tires @ Blue Moon Bay Speedway - Infield B - 10:30 Clear - (18 Laps)
1. Start qually
3. Split the groups in 2 or three for a maximum of 6 per group
4. Host give "green light" and the first group qually starts with 5 sec intervals with completion of the out lap and 1 hot lap only.
5. When the last driver of the first group starts his hot lap, then the first driver of the second group can start his out lap and complete the hot lap. (same if there is a 3rd group)
5. Let qually timer runs out. (Please make a note of how long it takes to count down to zero)
6. Race will start automatically and all qually lap times will be visible to all
7. Get feedback from the Lobby

Important Announcements

SNAIL will be making a small change to the tire regulations. Beginning with the November season, all Gr. 4 cars will be equipped with RH tires for Sunday night racing.

SNAIL will also be testing new qualifying procedures beginning with tonight's practice session. @Rednose has already posted these changes for the hosts in their conversation. The below is the schedule for tonight's practice session. We would appreciate feedback on how each one works and any issues that occurred with any of the procedures.

Procedures:
1. Set the first race of the combo to Practice/Qualify/Race (Second race will still be reverse grid)
2. Set Qually to 5 minutes

Round 1: CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 1LE PACKAGE 2018 on RH Tires @ Dragon Trail - Gardens - 10:00 Fine Weather - (7 Laps)
1. Start qually
3. Host give "green light" and qually starts with 5 sec intervals
4. Complete out lap and 1 hot lap and stop

Round 2: TOYOTA TS050 HYBRID TOYOTA GAZOO RACING 2016 on RM Tires @ Tokyo Expressway - East Inner Loop - 07:40 Clear - (6 Laps)
1. Start qually
2. Everyone goes out on their own time and run as much laps as possible until the the clock runs out.
3. Race will start automatically and all qually lap times will be visible to all
4. Please ask feedback from the lobby if there was any interference, drafting or anything else noteworthy that might be undesirable or desirable.

Round 3: NISSAN R92CP 1992 on RM Tires @ Blue Moon Bay Speedway - Infield B - 10:30 Clear - (18 Laps)
1. Start qually
3. Split the groups in 2 or three for a maximum of 6 per group
4. Host give "green light" and the first group qually starts with 5 sec intervals with completion of the out lap and 1 hot lap only.
5. When the last driver of the first group starts his hot lap, then the first driver of the second group can start his out lap and complete the hot lap. (same if there is a 3rd group)
7. Get feedback from the Lobby

While I do like this test there is one issue I can see with it...once you start the qualifying part of it if you leave /disconnected you can't get back into the lobby and therefore give up the whole entire first race...agian I know this is a test but since I dont have time to practice Thursdays at this point I felt I should've pointed this out.

Unless it was fixed by a patch. I actually like the idea though

While I do like this test there is one issue I can see with it...once you start the qualifying part of it if you leave /disconnected you can't get back into the lobby and therefore give up the whole entire first race...agian I know this is a test but since I dont have time to practice Thursdays at this point I felt I should've pointed this out.

Unless it was fixed by a patch. I actually like the idea though
It might still work out. The person will have 3 minutes to get back in the room. The race can be abandoned at start and the grid set manually if he makes it back in time. If his time was not recorded properly, then he will start at the back, otherwise he can start where he qualified. Maybe something else to test tonight or next week to see if a driver's time is listed in the right spot if he leaves the lobby after he set a time, but before the race starts.

It might still work out. The person will have 3 minutes to get back in the room. The race can be abandoned at start and the grid set manually if he makes it back in time. If his time was not recorded properly, then he will start at the back, otherwise he can start where he qualified. Maybe something else to test tonight or next week to see if a driver's time is listed in the right spot if he leaves the lobby after he set a time, but before the race starts.

I know you guys are just testing....I just feel that this is taking something pretty simple and straight forward and making it complex.

The last time we had and used the in game qualifier, the rule was that if you got dc'd during qualifying it was just like getting dc'd during the race. Basically, the start of the qualifying session was considered to be the start of the race. If you started qualifying and dc'd, you got last place points for the race. We did not do manual grids for drivers that got dc'd during qualifying just like we wouldn't restart a race for a driver that got dc'd.

It is testing and it's a good point to discuss.

This week's Snail Time Trial competition sees us in a Mazda Roadster S (ND) '15 at Tsukuba.

1030Wed.png

This friendly competition is open to everyone and if you would like to join in on the fun, read the first post on how to join.

Couple of thoughts on the test qualy formats. First the open qualy, fia format, has the potential to see someone get in your way or make a mistake on track that can cost you. In this format we ended up with 1 out lap and 2 hot laps. That's a short window with a high probability that someone else's mistake costs you. When this is run in fia qualy is 15 min and it affords you some extra time in case you end up with interference from another driver. Second, the format where we started qualy and did 1 out lap and 1 hot lap like we normally do but within the time limit did work but I feel like it would be a change just to make change. Why possibly leave someone out of qualy and the race because of a disconnect? Are we trying to make Sunday night happen in a shorter time? What would this change accomplish? Technically it works but I don't see a real positive to changing the format when it could potentially remove someone from qualy but also the race. As it stands now a person who disconnects may miss qualy but is able to start last and still race.

Did anyone make note of the duration of the countdown timer to start qualifying and in between the qualifying session and the race?

First race with Camaro on Gardens: We set the clock after qually to 90 seconds
  • We started qually and lined up after turn 1
  • The green light was given with about 3 minutes to go
  • Everybody started their hot lap before the clock ran out
  • I don't think anybody finished the lap before 5 minutes ran out, but the game gave us 3 minutes to finish the hot laps. Once you cross the line in this period you are finished. You can't run another lap. I also imagine that you have to start you hot lap before the 5 minute cock runs out.
  • 1 person could not run the qually, but he entered the race and waited in the pits. He was put in last place with no qually time and participated in the race.
  • After qually started I tried to exit to the pits (without cancelling my race entry) and I could do that and go back to the track again.
We were not sure how the 90 sec setting affected the length of the rundown time after the 5 min ran out, so for the next race (Toyota in Tokyo) Room 1 set the time to 30 seconds and Room 2 set the time to 60 seconds. This qually was FIA style, but with 5 minutes only. Most could complete two hot laps, but there is too much opportunity for interference. Also, this combo could benefit from drafting, so people didn't want to space out so that they could potentially catch a draft. In this case both rooms got 2 minutes after the 5 min ran out to finish the hot laps. So, we are still confused about how that works. The Camaro has 1:37 - 1:45 fast lap times and the Toyota has 1:39 - 1:44. So it is very similar lap times. We need a bit more testing, or if someone knows for sure how this works, please tell us.

The last race with the Fast Datsun we split in two groups and there were more than enough time to finish the hot lap even before the 5 min ran out. Lap times are around the 40 seconds. It might be a different story if the lap times are around the 80 second mark. We forgot to check the time after the 5 minutes....

General remarks:
  • The reason why we look at this is because it is a feature of the game that we have not explored fully yet. Our current qually system works ok, but it is nice to see everyone's qually times before the race starts. It also keeps rogue players out of potentially interfering with qually. It is not a change for the sake of change. We want to see if we can use it to our benefit without introducing other non desirable issues.
  • In case a person DC during qually, there is the option to complete qually, take a screen shot of the the grid and then quit the race and do a manual grid. (If the person re-enters the room before the race starts)
  • To make sure there are no connection issues, it should be done before qually starts.
  • The count down after the qually clock runs out needs to be tested more so that we know how to set that for different scenarios
  • The "free for all" FIA style qually is probably not the way to go.
We will run another test next Thursday during practice. If someone open a practice today or the weekend, feel free to test this and give us feedback. If we think we are not ready to introduce the change in November we won't. Don't worry.

Feedback is appreciated.

Did anyone notice the glitch where it does not register your time...I had that happen to me in a shakedown test I ran Saturday evening where my time didn't register but I still started where it showed I was which was 4th

Back