《The Rubik's Cube》 --- What is your record?

• Thread starter kolio
  • 32 comments

Can you solve the regular Rubik's Cube?

• Total voters
I am learning a few new things (that would be very obvious for the cube experts):
- Create the second cross at the same time that I finish the two first layers. Therefore, I will do the last layer orientation in one step as there are only 7 cases (instead of the theorical 57)
- For the last layer permutation, I previously knew how to get the 4 corners right when I had 2 (and I had to do this set of moves 2 times when I had no corners right). I have learned how to go from 0 corners to 4 corners in one step.

I am still inneficient at doing those new things so I am slower than previously but this is supposed to be temporary !

Next thing I will do is try (then practice) to solve the first cross blindfolded, so I get used to know what to do after inspection without having to look for pieces during the cross building process. I am far from being able to do it. So far, I sometimes know how to do 3 edges... but with no clue where the last will appear.

Last edited:
I am learning a few new things (that would be very obvious for the cube experts):
- create the second cross at the same time than I finish the two first layer. Therefore, I will do the last layer orientation in one step as there are only 7 cases (instead of the theorical 57)
- For the last layer orientation, I previously knew how to get the 4 corners right when I had 2 (and I had to do this set of moves 2 times when I had no corners right). So I have learned how to go from 0 corners to 4 corners in one step.

I am still slow at doing those new things do I am slower than previously but this is supposed to be temporary !

Next thing I will do is try (then practice) to solve the first cross blindfolded, so I get used to know what to do after inspection without having to look for pieces during the cross building process. I am far from being able to do it. So far, I sometimes know how to do 3 edges... but with no clue where the last will appear.
I have yet to learn F2L!! :banghead: I haven't mad time for it yet is why though...

Learning the advanced cross method is honestly something that will almost always increase your times on average by about 3-5 seconds. Most guys that are good at can do it in 1-3 seconds without a problem every single time.

I didnt know there was a way to get the 2nd cross at the same time as F2L. That seems pretty advanced F2L.

And yes, when you learn a new method/algorith you will be slow. I remember when I recently learned how to do a couple new algs. I knew them perfect. But I could not do them fast. :lol:

The second cross thing is called "edge control"
- There is a very simple version of it. Basically, you just have to recognise before inserting the last F2L pair that you will get no edge turned up if you insert it normally (the "dot" case that takes longer than the two other ones). You just insert the last pair differently than normal (but in a very simpe 4-move technique) and you end with 2 edges already turned up (L or line shape) allowing to do the cross very easilly.

- The full version gets you the cross already done. There are 8 cases (+ 8 symetric ones) each one requiring to insert the last F2L pair in a different manner.

Honnestly the second version is way too advanced for me. There are many things I would normally have to improve before looking into this but I find the principle interesting (and fun).

Latest Posts

Back