0 bhp at 400 rpm???

  • Thread starter Thread starter duhuh
  • 61 comments
  • 5,022 views
Famine
Oddly, most race cars are left-hand drive only. The McLaren F1, whilst being a central seat, is also, I''m informed, left-hand drive - that is to say that the gearbox is to the right of the driver.

I believe it was also the same with the original GT40. Most (or all?) had the seat on the right side of the car, but had the gear lever positioned to the right of the driver as well. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember seeing.

I also remember seeing that, while 12hp is about the maximum for a human, using the same averaging system as done with the horse over an extended period, a human typically produces about 0.10hp.


I can't wait to get my hands on the T and the Daimler. I completely plan on driving them like tractors :D If, for example, Motor Sports Land once again has those big grassy hills in the middle (great for jumping, BTW :D), I'm going to climb each one of them in these. Dirt rally courses? Natural territory for these beasts. If only GT4 had deep mud.
 
OK, now that the definition of horse power (cheval.. Pferd.. whatever) is clarified what about the spelling of Pferdstarke / Pferdenstarke / Pferdestarke / Pferdstaerke (and all other possible permutations)?

I always thought it was the first (Pferdstarke), as it literally means Horse Strength, whilst the others add plural modifications to the nouns.... I think? like "horses powers" etc... With Starke beginning with 's' does it need a conjoining letter ('e') like Inhaltsliste ("Inhalt" and "Liste" joined by 's')? I am, of course, assuming it's a German term?

Hmm, seems a little petty, but hey... just thinking "aloud" so to speak

It's interesting that PD have a rounding system employed (if that is indeed what the "0bhp" phenomenon is caused by.) It would suggest that they get very accurate figures for power and torque, which are rounded for on-screen display for our benefit... Maybe not possible for all cars / trikes... (I think vehicles is better in this case) ...especially for concepts which may not have actually physically come to be.
 
Back