1,000 Mile tested F40

• Thread starter Sunzi
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Love the car so much that I needed to get it to work how I liked as stock was a bit too lively and then my initial tuning attempts completely neutered it to the point of being too safe, too stiff and understeery - useless in the corners but stable.

Literally put 100s of miles on it at Nurburgring GP testing it out and think I've found the perfect balance.

Using it at 600PP so not tested beyond that.

I aim for handling pleasure over outright pace - if you fancy an F40 to use in thr corners, give this a go.

Feedback appreciated!

20220705_161020.jpg

20220705_161028.jpg

20220705_161038.jpg

Last edited:
Will have to give this a shot. Just picked up the F40 yesterday was going to try and use it for the 500pp daily race but I just couldn’t get anything close to pace with it haha. 600pp seems like it would be a fun to use this on

Will have to give this a shot. Just picked up the F40 yesterday was going to try and use it for the 500pp daily race but I just couldn’t get anything close to pace with it haha. 600pp seems like it would be a fun to use this on
Would appreciate your thoughts mate!

If you're looking for outright pace, you'll find faster but if you value predictable handling, I think you may like this.

On the topic of pace. This build is 447BHP with a 200KG ballast.

I've been able to consistently beat my own times of a 471HP F40 with a 160KG Ballast (the build I was using until this one) - so it's got pace but not necessarily muscle.

Last edited:
Would appreciate your thoughts mate!

If you're looking for outright pace, you'll find faster but if you value predictable handling, I think you may like this.

On the topic of pace. This build is 447BHP with a 200KG ballast.

I've been able to consistently beat my own times of a 471HP F40 with a 160KG Ballast (the build I was using until this one) - so it's got pace but not necessarily muscle.
Honestly..handling is the most important thing for pace. Being able to consistently hit the same brake points and turn in exactly how you want every time wins races in online play.

And some cars….despite being faster are just not fun to drive at all….like the 65 Mini Cooper people are using for daily race A

Sure it’s the fastest for lap times under that restriction….but it understeers worse than any car…too much power not enough weight…just to get it around the track is such a pain in the butt. It’s probably a nightmare live in races too unless everyone is running the same car and running the same lines

I decided to try this on Autopolis since that’s a course with a few straights and then a bunch of varying corners including blind apex’s that are really tricky

Overall…for 600pp and sports hard tires…bone stock pretty much….I was able to run 2:07s

Handling wise it’s just sports hards cannot hold this car well and it’s sluggish on the turns….but there is not really anything that can be done about that. Maybe work for a tune that is sports soft at 600? Just not enough grip for some turns unless you are coasting. Running no TCS is playing with fire lol especially when the tires are also making you hold the braking zones for longer just to get the car turned.

I think this car needs racing tires. Suspension wise I changed a few things but it didn’t make a difference in the handling/performance.

The only thing that I believe should be changed is probably the transmission. I’m assuming you have it set to 330 with default gears

I moved it to 300 and then put it at

1st 2.95
2nd 1.94
3rd 1.34
4th 1.10
5th 0.89

Final 3.42

After I did this I was able to run 2:05s at autopolis and the car kinda just felt more alive….at least until you get back to the part that sports hards are skates for this legendary car haha

Last edited:
Reading back on what I said….it comes off as critical but I want to say for 600pp MR car on sports hards…I think it’s a good tune…definitely a car better suited for the Nur where you carry speed through corners….but takes a lot of finesse to drive on tight consecutive corners properly without TCS

Update.

I upgraded the car all the way and then de tuned it to make 700pp

Slapped racing soft on it and aero but the suspension is still pretty much what you figured it out and this car handles like a dream for MR. I have AWD cars harder to control with no TCS than this.

I was really surprised that I don’t have to work the throttle a bunch but really….this car just needs tires. The suspension setup you have is good if the tires can hold it

Reading back on what I said….it comes off as critical but I want to say for 600pp MR car on sports hards…I think it’s a good tune…definitely a car better suited for the Nur where you carry speed through corners….but takes a lot of finesse to drive on tight consecutive corners properly without TCS
Not at all, I really appreciate you trying it and then opining, so thanks for that.

I was aiming for an improvement over stock on Sport Hards as I don't want to turn it into a racing car yet - I believe it is an improvement over stock.

The goal was absolutely to go for the best I could squeeze out of Sports Tires. I reckon I could build something better if I was working to more PP. I didn't wanna go for slicks as they will no doubt transform the car into something much easier to handle and put the power down with.

I will make a slicks version but for now I want to persist on Sports Tyres and having put the time and miles in I'm not sure how I can improve it without it then becoming a handful again.

Love the car so much that I needed to get it to work how I liked as stock was a bit too lively and then my initial tuning attempts completely neutered it to the point of being too safe, too stiff and understeery - useless in the corners but stable.

Literally put 100s of miles on it at Nurburgring GP testing it out and think I've found the perfect balance.

Using it at 600PP so not tested beyond that.

I aim for handling pleasure over outright pace - if you fancy an F40 to use in thr corners, give this a go.

Feedback appreciated!

View attachment 1169448
View attachment 1169449
View attachment 1169450
You did a GREAT job on it. It’s fun and easy to drive.

You did a GREAT job on it. It’s fun and easy to drive.
Thanks mate - I really appreciate the feedback. :D

That was the goal with the testing. To get the F40 to be enjoyable and easy to drive without needing to deviate too much (aero, slicks, mass power) from the stunning classic looks/performance.

I had been hoping to try this tune since you posted it and since Ferrari was on the list for today and I had driven my other potential candidates I decided to give her a go. I did not add the ballast as I’m not generally not a fan of shifting weight in MR’s unless absolutely necessary and I did use dumfries gearbox (very nice I thought). I also added the usual bolt-ones (no turbo components) to get her up to 700, the wing and Body Rigidity.

Fortunately, I had an old post on Exeter’s tune with lap times to compare and until the rain hit, they were very close. Based on the lap times for the Exeter run I am forced to assume I had a dry day at Sarthe. The tunes are very close in terms of results, so great job there.

I will echo dumfries’ comment on the suspension, it felt very nice. Same for the LSD with exception for the braking sensitivity, indeed it betrayed me twice, but I did make a comment regarding weird braking on my post over there, so that may be just a tendency of the car.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and look forward to driving her again!

BE4700CB-284E-4F18-AF6E-001233A86AC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back