1/3 of X360s fail supposedly....

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 175 comments
Kent, get a Wii. You'll be happier ;)

That aside, only two or 3 games are really pulling towards either console. 360 has FM2, Ninja Gaiden, plus some Live games, while the PS3 will have GT5 and probably Kingdom Hearts 3 (which is a must have for me, just need it confirmed on PS3), that and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

So neither console will be bought by me till they drop in price a bit. The Wii on the other hand has like a dozen titles I want, and it costs half as much, so yeah. That, and its a Nintendo, so I could drop kick it into a lake and have it still work.

And Kent, I thought you needed Gold to do any online gaming period with the 360, otherwise its just score posting and such? Not sure though. And FM2 is okay, the more I play it, the more I'm just kinda like "its another racing game, yay?" on it.

EDIT: And RI speaks complete truth on online gaming. Except it almost seems worse on XBOX because a larger younger audience uses it, instead of a PC. I just about wanted to kill myself playing Halo 2 online just because of how annoying everyone can get. Having a group of a friends to play with is a must. Luckily, GTP seems to offer enough :P

And Kent, I thought you needed Gold to do any online gaming period with the 360, otherwise its just score posting and such? Not sure though. And FM2 is okay, the more I play it, the more I'm just kinda like "its another racing game, yay?" on it.

You just dont like it because the neglected to put an AW11 in it because it's too slow. :P

Let's not turn this into a PS3 vs X360 vs Wii thread outside of reliability issues, but just to clear up some of the insinuations that were made, there are already several excellent exclusive games out on the PS3 already, and some really fun PSN games as well, so let's not be overy dramatic about the PS3 having no decent content.

As for ports, there are many sites and many more threads already discussing the differences, with many videos and still images clearly showing that in several cases the PS3 version actually looks better.

I also do not know why Duck has trouble with his friend's list and finding friends to join games with. There are differences from one game to another, but I have found it very easy to find friends and invite them to join me in a game, so not really sure what that was all about. If it will help him I'll make a thread showing how easy it is to add, locate, and play with friends online via the PSN.

In addition, the list of games planned for the PS3 is even more impressive, and recent comments from Sony suggest there are far more that have not even been made official yet.

So no need to scream fire in a crowded theater. ;)

Now let's try and keep this thread on topic regarding reliability. 👍

I will probably get a PS3 after a nice price drop. My brother said that he was considering buying it for GT5, but is reconsidering since FM2 is pretty good. But if GT5 turns out to be a lot better, I don't want to miss out on it and the PS3 will also have Metal Gear Solid 4. Also, I haven't played any Final Fantasy (or any RPGs for that matter) games in a while.

A lot of good games on the Xbox360 are first person shooters and I personally don't want to play those with a controller online.

In any case, I'm still glad to know the 360 owns the PS3 on the multi-platform games. Hearing an honest view of it helps me decide which system to buy much more than the fanboy biases seen in other places.
Thanks for the heads up fellas. This is going to help me a great deal when it comes time to get that system since RE5 is going to be one of the most important games to me (and now I know it will be better on the 360).

It's sad really, I mean, all the hype about the PS3 being a technically strong system and yet it actually sucks! :lol:

The only problem with this particular point is that while (sort of) true currently, its no guarantee it will always be this way. The main advantage the 360 currently has it that at the moment it tends to be the lead development console for multi-platform titles. Not something that can always be taken for granted.

Even with that said Oblivion was rated to both look slightly better on the PS3 and it certainly has far better loading times on the PS3, Rainbow 6 Vegas looks about even in terms of visuals and has quite a bit of extra content for on-line.

An automatic 360 is better for multi-platform is I think a bit of a blanket statement and certainly not something I would want to put money on.

Regards

Scaff

Point taken... :cheers:

On the subject of reliability, I go back to the question I originally posed. How many times do you have to send a system back to the manufacturer before deciding the system isn't worth owning?

Personally, if I had to send my system back 3 times it would end up being sent back to a different place- the game store.

I wouldn't put up with a brand new car breaking-down and I certainly wouldn't put up with a new system breaking-down.

To me it is a matter of getting what you pay for and no matter how well the system plays, I wouldn't be willing to pay for a system that spends more time being shipped around to be fixed than time being played.

Of course, I suppose it could be the users beating up the systems like Joey D said. :lol:

How long do you guys think it will be before the systems are reliable? (atleast as reliable as the original xbox or the PS3)

You just dont like it because the neglected to put an AW11 in it because it's too slow. :P

TEH LIES!!!

Naw, I can get over that bit. Its just a nice extra, but FM2 has the MR2 Spyder, so I am content in that sense. Though the 2ZZ-GE isn't an engine swap option, and I have no clue why since its a common real world swap thats a direct freaking bolt in. Yet you can convert a Rabbit to AWD :ouch:

That would be why I am upset with FM2. Though honestly, it just feels like a better version of FM, with improved this and that. Other times it shines. Shrug, I dunno. Wheel for it is kinda bleh though.

On the subject of reliability, I go back to the question I originally posed. How many times do you have to send a system back to the manufacturer before deciding the system isn't worth owning?
That's a good question. The problem for many though might be that they have already invested a lot of their time on games that they now are familiar with and really enjoy playing. You also have people that have invested a lot of money in buying those games and accessories and the likes. Granted, they could sell them used and get some of their money back, but still that may be a pill some might not want to swallow.

I wonder if there are any States where the Lemon Law might apply. I know I have read that some states have applied the same principal of the Lemon Law as it applies to cars to some other consumer products. If not, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we start to see several class action suits against Microsoft that will likely demand that MS offer to buy back any X360 that has been returned more than once.

You know, that's a really good question.
I'm not sure exactly but I think the lemon law states that a product must be returned 3 times before it is eligable.

Of course, that's beside the point... Fact is, you've hit the nail on the head when addressing the question I asked.
Games for the 360 and PS3 cost as much as 70 dollars and more (once all is said and done). I'd have a hard time letting go of the system and games with that much money invested. The only way I would consider doing that is if the shop I bought it from would give me a full in-store refund to use towards another system (in full with no cash back). I wouldn't ask for any more either... I'd be happy just to get back as much as I put in since "trade-ins" don't exactly grab big bucks. 👎

In fact, that makes me wonder if I need to get on top of buying a new system so I can trade-in what I have while I might still get some money for it. :ouch:

Any way, I think the money invested is the key... Once you've bought the system, bought the games, the devices, and the service (not to mention played the games), I just don't see how you could switch away.

That is to say, without a great deal of money. :lol:
I back in teh day when I burnt out a PS1 and bought a Nintendo 64 to replace it for something like 100 dollars. My how times have changed! :(

For me, I bought mine at Costco so if my 360 breaks down 3 years from now I can return it and get a new one. But regardless, if I had a 3rd 360 and it broke, I would ditch it, unless there's some kickass game released around the time it happens and I must play that game.

How long do you guys think it will be before the systems are reliable? (atleast as reliable as the original xbox or the PS3)

Loooong time. They're only now trying to stop the problems, and they're doing it ass-backwards by adding a second heatsink when all they have to do is fix the X-clamp. If the problems persist by the same time next year, I wouldn't be all that surprised. I do think they'll eventually get sued for it and clean things up.

To me that's crazy.
Just that you could run a buisness in such a fashion (goes for any buisness in a general sense). Luckily MS can afford to take the long hard road (which seems to be the trend for any large company). :banghead: :ouch:

I don't particularly care for the idea of serial number shopping. :indiff: I'd hate to think bad unit will still be floating around a year from now.

None the less, with basic warranty coverage and good customer service, I think everything will be fine (although I'm not committing to buying an xbox360 at this moment). :scared:

Atleast 2/3 systems do work. 👍

To me that's crazy.
Just that you could run a buisness in such a fashion (goes for any buisness in a general sense). Luckily MS can afford to take the long hard road (which seems to be the trend for any large company). :banghead: :ouch:

Thing is, they really can't. The XBOX has already cost them alot, and this isn't helping. If things, MS will have to pull out just because they will have lost too much money, and then the console war is back to Nintendo VS Sony again. And at this rate, the sales of the DS and Wii vs the PSP and PS3 will mean Sony might start losing as well.

Personally, I'm not going to buy a 360 until I know for sure that these problems have been fixed.
Unforunately, we don't know when they will be. If you buy a X360, you just can't know. The death problem happens at various times. It's happened from within 48 hours to over a year and a half from when they were bought.
G.T
The sad thing is, is if you ring support to ask for a status on getting your console back, all they say is "we don't know", and that "there's no way of finding out". This just annoys me to hell...
Must be the U.K. I easily found mine every time I called.
I'm not saying this is everyone but for me, pretty much GT looks like the only thing I want on the PS3 and it doesn't seem worth it at £400 at the moment.
Agreed. It's looking better and better, but not at the price of $500 yet.
C'mon man, they're not that bad. I got a lot of help from them. It's the waiting that's annoying.

Price is the one thing that doesn't sway my purchase between the 360 and the PS3.
100 bucks, big difference. :rolleyes:
The 360 jumps right up to 500 for me considering I'm definately going to need a wireless network and internet.

Of course, that's also not to mention the format wars that are ensuing... The only DVD player I own is my PS2. If Blueray becomes the standard it would be nice to have that option in my game system.
I'm not sure but I think the X360 is availible with a blueray player (although I'm not sure).

In any case, the format wars will be more important than Kevin Perrara thinks (G4 tv)... Not sure about you guys (admitedly I am less "techy" than most forum users)...

I still use video stores.
Online services haven't taken my movie renting. Not sure how most of the country works but my area (city of 200,000) is busy enough to support several movie rental places. Blockbuster (who is in my town) as well as "Friendly Video" have both recently said they were going blueray only. :scared:

If blueray does win, I'd expect 360s to offer blueray upgrades as standard equipment (assuming they don't already play blueray).

Btw, Sorry to go off on something of a rant but I'm just thinking about how 1/3 of all units being defective can hurt a company.

Just the idea of 1/3 bothers me too much to accept the statistics... Who provided that stat? (sorry, headed to look again now)
Smells fishy to me (if not stat wise, atleast on the sabotage level because 1/3 is seriously unacceptable from a statistical point of view).

Kent, they'd (MS) have trouble going that route, as they have an HD-DVD option currently. The laser wavelength is similar, but the focusing lens and aperture is different. On top of that, manufacturing differs between the two, with the BluRay data being "lower" in the disc emulsion.

That and Sony is mainly responsible for BluRay, and I think they would die before giving MS that. Would be kinda like BMW selling Lexus their gearbox and suspension designs for the 3-series to be used in the IS.

In regard to the online thing, it won't be a major deal for a while. However, must people that are tech savvy and realize the differences in HD also tend to have nice broad band and thus will be more inclined to download stuff, it its quick enough to grab. With most major rental places going towards BluRay, I think HD-DVD is gonna have trouble. Whats likely going to happen is universal readers, but... that means two lenses and separate encryption data (although that gets defeated often enough)

Duċk;2699726
For me, I bought mine at Costco so if my 360 breaks down 3 years from now I can return it and get a new one.

Hmmm, I never thought about getting an extended warranty for a console as I've never had one break before--minus my 360--so this is a brilliant idea.

Hmmm, I never thought about getting an extended warranty for a console as I've never had one break before--minus my 360--so this is a brilliant idea.

Well, this isn't a warranty –*it's practically forever, or until they no longer carry the product.

Duċk;2699591
When there's a good alternative. If my 360 broke down today and I didn't have any other console, where would I go?

Your best choice would be to put $1000 into a gaming PC.

Then about $600 every six months afterwards to keep playing newer games. :lol:

Edit: I just called to check when my 360 was shipped to have an idea of when I'd get it. It hasn't been shipped. They received it on the 19th. Last Tuesday. He said the warehouse is running behind. :mad:

Regarding warranty and repairs, How are you supposed to know if they sent you A brand new console, a repaired version or a different refurbished xbox?

And thankfully, I recieved a new one. :) New serial codes and everything.

What is the manufacture date?

I'm hoping to get a new one...Bad enough getting two launch systems and both croaking, I don't want another refurb.

Good news for Xbox owners in the US who are having problems getting their Xbox serviced through Microsoft:

Xbox Online Repair Available in US
Posted on August 4th, 2007 at 4:48 pm by Stephany
xbox36004.jpg

With the barrage of Xbox 360 repairs, Microsoft now has an option for US customers to make the repair process run a little smoother. When you log on to service.xbox.com, you can register your Xbox or Xbox 360 console, and setup your repair and track it online and create In-Warranty or Out-of-warranty repairs. If by chance your warranty has expired you will get $5 discount on service, which will save you some pocket change for a value meal at McDonald’s. It is not fun when your gaming console goes kaput, but hopefully this service will make the process less painful, and just think - this way you are only dealing with a computer not a customer service rep who will only laugh at you.

The part I don't quite understand is the whole "create" warranty repairs???

I also think it was a mistake on Microsoft's part to offer a measly $5 discount on out of warranty work. Frankly that's likely to rub many people the wrong way, and they should have either offered a higher value or a percentage off repairs, or frankly nothing at all... but offering only a $5 discount on repairs that will likely be many times that amount comes off as pretty thoughtless, when obviously it is meant to be thoughtful.

On a related note, I believe the new "3-year warranty" ONLY covers service for those with the 3-red ring "General Hardware Failure" fault, and all other faults are only covered by existing warranty terms... which are quite poor considering all the other problems many x360 owners have been having. This means many people are going to have to be financially responsible for repairs and replacements of their X360, even though the problems may very well be due to design/manufacturing errors. 👎

Another important thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft's warranty only apply to the original purchaser. So if you bought it used or online from an unauthorized dealer, then you'll also be responsible for all repairs and replacements.

For those who may not be aware, here is what Microsoft says will void your limited warranty:

E. EXCLUSIONS FROM LIMITED WARRANTY

This Limited Warranty shall not apply and Microsoft has no liability under this Limited Warranty if the Xbox Product:
  • is used with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft (including, but not limited to, non-licensed games and game enhancement devices, adaptors and power supply sources) or which are otherwise incompatible;
  • is used for commercial purposes (including rental or lease);
  • is modified or tampered with;
  • is damaged by Acts of God, power surge, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, wear and tear, mishandling, misapplication, or other causes unrelated to defective materials or workmanship;
  • serial number is defaced, altered or removed;
  • is damaged by programs, data, viruses, or files, or during shipments;
  • is not used in accordance with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Xbox Product; or
  • is repaired, modified or altered by other than Microsoft authorized repair centers.
This Limited Warranty does not cover your data, any separate software or Xbox games whether or not packaged or included with the Xbox Product, or any accessories or peripheral devices that are not manufactured by or for Microsoft.

"is damaged by programs, data, viruses, or files"

That'd be a new one. Any hackers out there programming viruses for PowerPC to take out X360s? :lol:

Since this thread is already bumped.... Does anybody have any knowledge about the new 65nm processors, as in are they out yet? I sent my box in for replacement yesterday... It's been freezing and eating up my forza disc since I bought it 3 weeks ago (manufactured in Jan 06 though), and I was wondering if I could get lucky...

Also, will any '07 box be more reliable? All the detailed cases I've read so far have to do with earlier boxes to be honest...

edit: Just remembered the bricked Elites, so nvm that last bit

Back