1/4 Drag strip on the TGTT

  • Thread starter Thread starter calan_svc
  • 50 comments
  • 3,744 views
Messages
594
United States
OKC, U.S.
Messages
calansvc
I did some playing around on the TGTT and came up with a 1/4 mile drag strip that is pretty accurate and well marked. The start line is on the 3rd large runway marker from the left by the Hammerhead, and the finish line is the second line at the intersection of Chicago and Bentley, by the plane.

To mark the length, I used the Fiat 500 in first gear to run one minute at 15 mph.

Here is a video showing the "track" (sorry about the shaky cell phone video). The first pass is a slow one that marks the start and finish lines, and then I made a full speed pass.



To time the cars, I use a stopwatch app on my phone; I start it on launch, and stop it when the finish line disappears from the bottom of the screen. I make three passes and average them. For consistency, I'm using auto trannies, sport soft tires, ABS=1, TCS = 1 (as needed), and all other aids off.

That stock ZR-1 in the video ran a 10.91 BTW. ;)
 
Last edited:
Thats pretty sweet man, so you just start on the end of that thick white line and once you cross the intersection's white line it is a 1/4 mile?

gonna go test some cars out :)
 
Thanks for doing this. Sadly withought a 1,2,3, go or a tree there is no real way it would be fair to race someone. Plus you will not know true times.
 
Somethings wrong if a ZR1 is doing 10's.
 
Nice, it's great of PD to put that in especially for online etc
 
Thanks for doing this. Sadly withought a 1,2,3, go or a tree there is no real way it would be fair to race someone. Plus you will not know true times.

Either use the timer at the top of the screen or get someone else to flash their headlights.
 
Somethings wrong if a ZR1 is doing 10's.

They've been down to 10.50's bone stock. Hell, Z06's have ran 10.90's bone stock with just drag radials.
 
Either use the timer at the top of the screen or get someone else to flash their headlights.

This would be fun if you had a full grid of people and the loser was the one that had to be the tree and it would constantly rotate and everybody could line up at the back of the strip. It would probably look like a scene from The Fast and Furious.

But the timer will not stop to get a correct time.

Why they couldn't just put this feature in is beyond me. Whoops sorry for the little rant.
 
But the timer will not stop to get a correct time.

Why they couldn't just put this in is beyond me.

Considering it's been in every other one.
 
0-400m is a drag strip.

I was talking about drag racing in general like the vegas strip only with multiplayer. Why Kaz didn't incorporate this into GT5 is what I don't understand.
 
This would be fun if you had a full grid of people and the loser was the one that had to be the tree and it would constantly rotate and everybody could line up at the back of the strip. It would probably look like a scene from The Fast and Furious.

But the timer will not stop to get a correct time.

Why they couldn't just put this feature in is beyond me. Whoops sorry for the little rant.

I meant use the timer for starting if a third person isn't available. I suppose timing isn't really possible unless you have two other people with stopwatches, which is really unlikely to happen!
 
They've been down to 10.50's bone stock. Hell, Z06's have ran 10.90's bone stock with just drag radials.

Well I seriously doubt both of your claim but am open to be proven wrong.

Link?
 
What's scary about production cars, is that they are becoming so fast, you can't technically run them at the track if it follows NHRA or IHRA rules.
 
Are you going to do lots of cars and put them in a list...

Yep. I'm including these times in the next version of my matchmaker/database spreadsheet, along with a handling rating.

It's actually surprisingly easy to get consistent runs if you're careful with the stopwatch. I can usually get 3 times within .1 seconds or so.

The accuracy of the length is dependent on how accurate the speedo is in the Fiat 500 that I used to measure it with, and the track model. I did see a little variation with a different car at 10 mph when I checked it, but not much. It's probably a true 1/4 mile within +/- 20 feet or so. So far, all the cars tested are pretty close to reported IRL numbers...especially considering all the variables like tire type, stopwatch accuracy, tranny issues, etc.. It's definitely close enough for government work. (and yes Chippy... ZR-1's are really that quick. :))

If any one wants to help test "stock" cars, please PM me. Only requirements are no mods/tuning, auto trannies, sport soft tires, ABS=1, and TCS=1 if needed.
 
Last edited:
Measurement.png



I measured in google earth the above 2 red points and I got 0.2418 miles.

That sounds right.

I am going to test a couple cars and tell you the times. But I a have a feeling in the next few updates there going to put an actual 1/4 mile track. I don't want all of our hard work to go to nothing.

Im currently going to test all the BMW road cars. I'll report back when I am done.
 
I measured in google earth the above 2 red points and I got 0.2418 miles.

Very cool!

If you do the math in the game, 1/4 mile works out to be closer to the second line rather than the first one you have marked. Could be because of the speedo inaccuracy at low speeds, or minor variations in the track model. Either way it's pretty close. At 100+ mph, just stopping the timer between the two lines gets you in the ball park.

Thanks for verifying it for me. ;)
 
No problem just to check before I make an error and waste my time
My z4m is getting

13.37
13.4
13.39

average = 13.387

does that sound about right?
 
ok im getting kind of scared right now.

BMW m3 '07

13.19
13.02
13.15

average 13.12

that is way off right? or am I just blinded by my love for BMW
 
No problem just to check before I make an error and waste my time
My z4m is getting

13.37
13.4
13.39

average = 13.387

does that sound about right?

Not sure... haven't run that one. Try one of these if you have them (try to match up HP/kg as closely as possible):

Ferrari Enzo - 680hp/1255kg
Ferrari 430 Scuderia - 518hp/1350kg
Chevy '69 Camaro Z28 - 338hp/1415kg
Lambo Gallardo - 607hp/1410kg
Citroën 2CV Type A ‘54 - 14hp/495kg
 
Last edited:
Not sure... haven't run that one. Try one of these if you have them (try to match up HP/kg as closely as possible):

Ferrari Enzo - 680hp/1255kg
Ferrari430 Scuderia - 518hp/1350kg
Chevy '69 Camaro Z28 - 338hp/1415kg
Lambo Gallardo - 607hp/1410kg
Citroën 2CV Type A ‘54 - 14hp/495kg


Ok ill do those right now.

I checked here it says the Z4m gets 13.257

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-Z4-M-Coupe-Timeslip-14802.html

seems right.
 
Road & Track timed the Z4m at 13.5 in 2006, so it sounds like you are right on the money.
 
M3 seems to be about 1 second slow. Z4M is slightly slow.

This is probably due to a tire variance.
 
Back