1/4 Mile Transmission Tuning for Dummies(Fully Illustrated)

Why is this still not stickied?
:confused:

I was going to ask the same thing, but then I realized these new guys don't want to LEARN how to do it - they just want a free tune. I'm sure if I had a thread giving away free tunes all day they would be lining up for that. Like kenny's tune thread a few weeks back.

I was going to ask the same thing, but then I realized these new guys don't want to LEARN how to do it - they just want a free tune. I'm sure if I had a thread giving away free tunes all day they would be lining up for that. Like kenny's tune thread a few weeks back.

Yes Shake, they demand "the best of the best". :lol: Lazyness. I get a better sense of satisfaction from doing it myself, i like to get pointers but I never want a free tune not of my own making.

I was just wandering the same thing. Have you asked a mod to make it sticky? I do believe that is the way to get it stickied.

Nice work! Thats why you are the man! 👍

I never knew you were supposed to request for a stick; I just assumed they stickied them by volume of thread traffic & usefulness to the forums. Once again, thanks fest.

Maybe someone should do kind of like what Matt did with the tunes, but only for guides, then it would get stickied.

Thanks for the stick, guys. :) I'll keep thinking of more transmission methods to post as well.

Edit: Ballast section added.

Last edited:
Im glad this got stickied. It needed to be. 👍 Shake good work.

Thanks everyone. If it wasn't for most of you, I wouldn't have had the drive to tune as many cars as I have. Even thanks to the haters out there because, if I was as "slow" as you say, I wouldn't be hated on as much as I am. ;)

For the power band it still does not make sense. Even knowing about torque and hp peaks, how would somone figure it out when it Dosent show it like this on the tranny

Keep up the good work,this will help alot of guys move in the right direction.By the way,the trans cammer is stout.

I know lol. Me and him had some pretty close races. Mine still needs more work though. As do most of my cars.

For the power band it still does not make sense. Even knowing about torque and hp peaks, how would somone figure it out when it Dosent show it like this on the tranny

You get the picture of the power/torque curves when you select tune car (where you can pick body, engine, suspension, transmission) There should be a picture of the curves. If there are just numbers then you need to pick the graph.

You get the picture of the power/torque curves when you select tune car (where you can pick body, engine, suspension, transmission) There should be a picture of the curves. If there are just numbers then you need to pick the graph.

This. You also have to trial & error with the gear ratios to get them set up for correct RPMs. Shift at regular shiftpoints for the powerband, and adjust transmission for last gear crossing the 400m mark & launching gears. It will all come together in time. Keep in mind the top gap in-between the gear lines, on the transmission setup menu, is the RPM drop when shifting. If the gap is too large it will bog the motor and lose acceleration.

This. You also have to trial & error with the gear ratios to get them set up for correct RPMs. Shift at regular shiftpoints for the powerband, and adjust transmission for last gear crossing the 400m mark & launching gears. It will all come together in time. Keep in mind the top gap in-between the gear lines, on the transmission setup menu, is the RPM drop when shifting. If the gap is too large it will bog the motor and lose acceleration.

I've got a tip for you that I told swara and Nuke that works flawlessly. I'll tell you later.

ill agree,the susp.has an end in sight,but if you dont have the starting parameters for your tranny,you may never get an optimum setup,thanks Shake,ive referenced this a time or two

I just read through it again, and this time I noticed that he said it should reach peak hp at the 400m mark. I had mine set to max out in 6th gear at the 1/4 mile mark. How much of a difference does it make?

I just read through it again, and this time I noticed that he said it should reach peak hp at the 400m mark. I had mine set to max out in 6th gear at the 1/4 mile mark. How much of a difference does it make?

Depends on the car. If you have one that loses a lot of power before redline, like some muscle cars, I would set transmission to hit 300-500RPM above that at 400m.

On a car like the Enzo, which makes max power at redline, you'll want to run the last gear as close to the rev-limiter as possible on 400m without hitting it.

Latest Posts

Back