1 foot or 2

• Thread starter whitehare
  • 45 comments
United States
Alexandria, VA
Hi all I've been playing this series for years and just started watching YouTube videos on GT sport. I have noticed that everyone seems to be driving with both feet ( Left foot for braking) . Is one way faster thaythe other. All opinions welcome.

2 feet all the way. Makes a huge difference in how fast you can go from gas to brake but also gives you the ability to use both at the same time which can be of great help. It took a while for me to get used to it when i switche to a wheel pedal set up, but always drove "with two feet" on the ds4 using R2 and L2. It is faster 100%

They may be an odd very quick driver who only use one foot, such is how these things usually go but most of them will use two feet.

I'd say even amongst the rest of us two outnumber one by quite a margin.

:gtplanet::cheers:

Right foot braker here (‘one foot’) as that’s how I’ve driven a road car for far too many years to admit and because my clown feet don’t like left foot braking irl so don’t want to ‘confuse my feet’ in a potential sudden braking situation.

I’ve already caught myself reaching for the headlight stalk coming off a roundabout, looking for paddle shifters my humble focus doesn’t have!

That said I’ve never risen above BS rank so that probably tells you something!

Hi all I've been playing this series for years and just started watching YouTube videos on GT sport. I have noticed that everyone seems to be driving with both feet ( Left foot for braking) . Is one way faster thaythe other. All opinions welcome.
Left foot braking is very good, because you can carry more speed in the corners.

I use both feet. Left foot brake, right foot throttle.

Interestingly, I still don't do that in real life.

I tried driving my real world VW as I do in GT Sport with a wheel, and using the 2 foot method. It just felt totally wrong, and dangerous!

In game it's definitely 2 feet to race.

Using the right foot to both brake and accelerate also feels wrong and very slow.

Left foot braking is pretty much essential. There should be no delay between transitioning from throttle to brake and vice versa, left foot braking is the best way to achieve this.

Braking with your left foot IRL feels weird because manufacturers design the throttle and brake pedals to be operated by only your right foot.

Last edited:
51dCkhqNPsL._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Racing == 2 feet
Driving == 1 foot

Sport mode: 2 foot [since the clutch is disabled]

disclaimer note: don't do it in real life you might press clutch or throttle accidentally I won't take any responsibility about this comment

2 feet all the way. Makes a huge difference in how fast you can go from gas to brake but also gives you the ability to use both at the same time which can be of great help. It took a while for me to get used to it when i switche to a wheel pedal set up, but always drove "with two feet" on the ds4 using R2 and L2. It is faster 100%
This 100% but just to add a few examples, it's all about controlling how the weight shifts across the car.
The main thing I do is trail off the gas slowly after I've already started braking because if I drop right off the gas and then hit the brakes the car tips forward heavily which takes weight and grip off the rear and that results in the rear diff locking up and throwing the back end sideways when turning causing me to spin.
Another thing is that a touch of brake while accelerating hard can somewhat push the front end down giving you more turning grip when exiting a corner.
Two footing is probably most common in rally driving.

Braking with your left foot IRL feels weird because manufacturers design the throttle and brake pedals to be operated by only your right foot.
True, but by coincidence I was researching this a few days ago and apparently people who've only ever driven an auto can pick up the skill pretty easily, but if you learned to drive with a clutch it takes a little longer to reprogram your brain to get the left used to using a pedal differently.

A foot? I heard it was barely 9 inches. :)

Personally I’d go as far to say that all professional race drivers in modern cars will be left footers.

The last F1 driver known to right foot brake was Rubens Barichello and that was years ago.

I usually alternate between 1 and 2 foot. Perhaps 1.5.

Usually on normal driving situations I'd use one, unless on tight traffic conditions I'd sometimes use both. As for off-road heavy vehicles, it'll be both to react better to uneven terrain.

True, but by coincidence I was researching this a few days ago and apparently people who've only ever driven an auto can pick up the skill pretty easily, but if you learned to drive with a clutch it takes a little longer to reprogram your brain to get the left used to using a pedal differently.
Too true. Until only a few years ago, all my cars have been manual. In normal RL driving there's rarely a reason to be delicate when initially pressing the clutch pedal. Try to brake left foot, no matter how careful I try to be the clutch muscle memory locks up wheels. I can do it a bit on DS4 using fingers, but on a wheel/pedal set it's a lost cause or months and months of practice.

Tidgney stated a while back that one of the Japanese drivers at the world tour events was one foot only, can't remember which.

I'm wondering if the brief periods when one foot drivers have their foot on neither pedal helps provide a more balanced (settled) vehicle?

I have raced for years, always left foot brake in the race car but never left foot brake in my road cars, it's very awkward. I think it's because road cars have power brakes while race cars have manual brakes, typically you need a heavy braking foot in the race cars which does not work well with power brakes.

Everyone will say you must left foot brake. I’d say do that if it doesn’t feel awkward, or if it’s not too bad.
I one foot it, BUT, I am lucky enough to run csl elite loadcell, the pedals can be spaced right next to each other.
Everyone everywhere will say you must left foot brake in sim.
Further, I tried for left foot braking but I simply can’t do it which is beyond weird, because I don’t have trouble in a real kart. Then again I am not a real kart racer, just a cruiser once in a while...
If you one foot like me your style just kinda evolves. The transition between pedals has to happen at the right time. One disadvantage to what I do is it’s very easy to be a bit conservative and overslow the car on entry, but lately the way the game is driving I am finding I need to release brake a bit more and earlier on entry to carry more speed.
Many cars I really like the weak abs setting. I used that this week I feel like I have more control over the cars attitude on entry.
Left foot, it’s just a personal thing for me, can’t do it. I don’t have the fine motor skill needed.
For me it’s not that I chose this way, it chose me.
I really like it though. EDIT USING ONE FOOT ONLY It’s super consistent and intuitive to me, plus I have a pretty good idea what I am trying to do.
I think there’s an awful lot about being fast that’s way way way way way way more important than worrying about pedal transition time.
Like it’s more important at my level to be hitting the lines right balancing the car right which allows more throttle earlier.
So much of that comes from how smooth you brake and come off brake, plus coordinating that with good smooth progressive wheel use...
None of that can really happen either except by doing.
I one foot it, and I will say there’s way more available in terms of laptime for myself that’s got nothing to do with the pedal transition time.
I still have a long ways to go, and will probably never reach a point where that factor limits me too much.
If I were starting from scratch? I’d use both feet...

Last edited:
Tidgney stated a while back that one of the Japanese drivers at the world tour events was one foot only, can't remember which.

I'm wondering if the brief periods when one foot drivers have their foot on neither pedal helps provide a more balanced (settled) vehicle?

I don’t think it’s that. But goes to show both are valid techniques to drive fast.

Sorry double post

Two - which caused an issue when I drove a single seater in wet weather a couple of weeks ago (where we'd been told to use the clutch for shifts despite having a sequential box). My brain was in full on GT mode as I approached a corner and pressed my left foot down... on the clutch... and didn't really reduce speed enough/at all for the corner!

IRL, every time I've attempted left foot braking in my own car I've nearly gone through the dashboard :D

Both feet. Left for throttle right for brake ;)
And the right hand for clutch of course.

For me, I use one foot, as my playseat has part of its frame between my legs, right in front of the brake pedal, and some past injuries to my hip make it really awkward to reach the brake pedal with my left foot.

Back